As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MVC website hosting

Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
So this is a little embarrassing. I'm a Web developer (Microsoft stack) and I'm looking to build a Website for my partner's business. I've got the actual Web development part down, the only thing is, I've never actually had to deal with the hosting side before! Typically my clients have had a Web server already set up and I'm either copying my code to a specified folder or remoting in, put me in front of IIS and I'm good to go, but I've never actually started from scratch before. Soooo... what do? Of the options I've investigated so far Azure looks like it might be a good option, albeit not the cheapest, whereas GoDaddy for example looks to be cheaper, but I have no idea what to expect from them in terms of quality of service. We already have a domain if that makes any difference.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have no good advice myself, but the programming thread can probably drop some good suggestions.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Squarespace is popular, and fantastic if you believe all their podcast ads.

Looks like your can roll in with your own code, but it's definitely geared towards using one of their templates.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I use Lithium Hosting and I like them a lot.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've been with ipower for like ten years or more and they've never given me a reason to leave.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    definitely consult the programming thread

however I will say that I've had the displeasure of using Azure several times in my career, and while they do provide a good solution, they are insanely expensive and I personally believe that they practice some rather deceptive billing practices that have cost me literally hundreds of dollars for mere 'test' projects

so if you go this route, prepare to be extremely diligent to avoid overcharging

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Expense aside, if you're doing Microsoft stuff (asp.net / web.config/ etc), Azure is probably your best bet for an easy out-of-the-box experience. Most of the free / cheap hosting providers are linux-based, and that will not work nicely with asp.net MVC, you need someone that knows Microsoft hosting.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Jasconius wrote: »
    definitely consult the programming thread

however I will say that I've had the displeasure of using Azure several times in my career, and while they do provide a good solution, they are insanely expensive and I personally believe that they practice some rather deceptive billing practices that have cost me literally hundreds of dollars for mere 'test' projects

so if you go this route, prepare to be extremely diligent to avoid overcharging

This is exactly why I was soliciting advice in here, if money were no object I'd just go with Azure but to be honest we're on a shoestring budget. I'll definitely pop into the programming thread though, thanks for the advice!

Mr Ray on