As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Mouse Suggestions

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
I've spent the last couple of months trying to find a comfortable mouse and mousepad combo for my desk. I've tried all sorts of recommendations from another forum, but I've yet to find anything that feels comfortable for me. I think part of the problem is that the people in the other thread keep recommending gaming mice, so they want it to be super fast and quick with the lightest wrist gesture: I on the other hand prefer something that doesn't feel like the mouse will fly off, as my gestures are a lot smaller and concentrated.

My current attempt is the G403 mouse and this Steel Series mousepad. Both were recommended to me in this thread.

The main problem I'm having is that the mouse feels too "slippery". I've tried to constantly adjust the DPI through the included software, but the mouse itself keeps feeling too imprecise and sliding, as if it lacks enough resistance on the bottom to make it more to my liking.

I'm not sure if it's the mouse itself or the mousepad. I don't really have anything else to test the mouse on, but I'm thinking I need a more rugged mousepad to give that extra resistance I need.

So I could still use some recommendations while I'm under the Amazon return window. There's got to be something that doesn't make my wrist strain from trying to keep the mouse movements from feeling so slippery.

P.S. I should also mention that the way I sit on my desk, my wrist sits on the table's edge, rather than hovering in the air. I'm not sure if that factors into what works best for me, but having to "fight" the floaty mouse does cause a bit of strain on my wrist as it slides around the table.

To that, I'm honestly considering one of those titty mousepads, as I hear that they actually do work to keep your wrist comfortable. Fortunately they got non-embarrassing variants.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    While it's technically a gaming mouse, it's fairly substantial and doesn't fly everywhere. I use a Razer Naga Hex both at home and while on the road. The multiple thumb buttons may be intimidating at first, but you can customize them as much or as little as you want; plus there's a small "pad" in the middle of the 6 buttons - that isn't a button - where your thumb naturally lands, so that you're not always accidentally hitting buttons.

The *one* thing that keeps this from being my perfect mouse is that it doesn't have the switch that allows the mousewheel to spin freely, like Logitech mice. Otherwise, I'm greatly pleased by the product. Before I owned these Hexes (going on 4 years now), I owned Logitech mice.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    A different mouse brand might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure about the Razer Naga...I tried one of those mice before with the bump on the side, and didn't particularly like how it felt.

For now, since it's the easiest option to experiment with, I ordered this wrist mouse: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0159S1O70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it actually does the job, then I won't have to replace the mouse I currently have, and I can consider a more aesthetically pleasing novelty option for the mouse pad.

Still open to suggestions on both mouse and mousepads, though.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Logitech G502 is my mouse of choice. It looks a little "cybery", but man it feels nice.

The surface tuning Logitech has is primo.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A different mouse brand might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure about the Razer Naga...I tried one of those mice before with the bump on the side, and didn't particularly like how it felt.

For now, since it's the easiest option to experiment with, I ordered this wrist mouse: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0159S1O70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it actually does the job, then I won't have to replace the mouse I currently have, and I can consider a more aesthetically pleasing novelty option for the mouse pad.

I use that exact mouse pad at work (aka right now) and it does exactly what I need.

I use it with the Logi MX Master, because I have big hands and like the thumb rest button.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I have a Logitech G602. Have had it for a few years. Unfortunately I will not be recommending Logitech mice in the future due to reliability. Apparently they're cheaping out on switches, so my complaints are relatively common:

1) Middle click no longer works
    2) I get spurious double-clicks when I want to single-left-click

These are mechanical problems that will require replacement to fix, and I was unable to get them to replace my mouse. So I'm irritated. It was otherwise a decent right-side-only mouse. But from what I've read, this is a problem across their entire product line.

If you don't mind replacing your mouse in a year or two, go for it and roll the dice. Otherwise, consider another manufacturer.

Orca on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a rival 300 from steelseries. I think I got it on sale for like 40 bucks, it works quite well, is very tuneable and doesn't look Too Videogamey for my tastes.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

I use that exact mouse pad at work (aka right now) and it does exactly what I need.

I use it with the Logi MX Master, because I have big hands and like the thumb rest button.

The mousepad seems to do the trick. The mouse feels significantly more accurate, and the gel leaves my wrist more comfortable too.

The only issue is that the mousepad itself is rather small: I find myself making sweeping motions that go past its borders.

So I plan to return it and have ordered a bigger variant. I also feel that my wrist would benefit from a space between the padding, so....yeah I'm getting one of those boobie mousepads. I honestly tried to find less-embarrasing variants that do the same thing, but the ones I saw were either bland or priced too high for my tastes (that Isabelle one with the apples is cute but not widely available).

It's a small price to pay for comfort.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maybe I should clarify:

How much are you willing to drop on your clickdrag?