As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Play KH1 first, then KH2.

Also don't watch 358/2 Days, it's not worth it really.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    YaYa wrote: »
    ...So I only played KH1 and 2 at release

if I, I dunno, did something really stupid like get that PS4 collection

What order should I go in

The official WeedLordVegeta Machete Order
    Birth By Sleep
    Re:Chain of Memories
    Re:Coded
    358/2 Days
    Dream Drop Distance
    A Fragmentary Passage

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Play one

Then play two

Then wait a decade and play three

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Excellent thread title,
    Immediately invoked a "oh fuck off" from my lizard brain.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    YaYa wrote: »
    ...So I only played KH1 and 2 at release

if I, I dunno, did something really stupid like get that PS4 collection

What order should I go in

The official WeedLordVegeta Machete Order
    Birth By Sleep
    Re:Chain of Memories
    Re:Coded
    358/2 Days
    Dream Drop Distance
    A Fragmentary Passage

the reasoning behind this:
    Birth By Sleep is the only game that actually informs kingdom hearts 1 and 2 in any meaningful way. CoM and Coded/358/2 flesh it out slightly but BBS is the only one that actually helps us understand why sora is such a special boy, and also helps us start to sort out all these FUCKING ansems

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    turtleant wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts x is mostly just ancient history lore.

Buuuuut it does set up some possible story hooks.
    what's in the boooooox!?

Definitely gonna happen.
    Maleficent is searching for the book of prophecy and the black box.

But you can get that info by watching the Back Cover movie.

They should bring back the Gummi Ship for KH3.

If anyone at Square working on the game says this, they should immediately be fired

Our heroes are in a gummi ship at the start of III.

Enlong on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I know i'll be disappointed if I can't build a ship entirely out of lasers and missile launchers and pretend that Starfox Zero never existed.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts x is mostly just ancient history lore.

Buuuuut it does set up some possible story hooks.
    what's in the boooooox!?

Definitely gonna happen.
    Maleficent is searching for the book of prophecy and the black box.

But you can get that info by watching the Back Cover movie.

If anyone at Square working on the game says this, they should immediately be fired

Our heroes are in a gummi ship at the start of III.

Maybe it'll be destroyed!

It's real easy to forget all Star Fox games exist (except Adventures) and not subject yourself to the garbage gummi ship, I do it on a daily basis

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Adventures is the one with the worst flying segments. It's almost as bad as KH1 gummi, and nowhere near as good for it as KH2 gummi. It's the most obvious part where they bolted something onto a game that didn't need it, because it needs to remind people that it's supposed to be Star Fox.

But aside from hating KH1 gummi shops, it looks like our views on this are perfect opposites, so eh, whatever.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I'll be honest, I don't remember Sanctuary at all

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Radius wrote: »
    I know i'll be disappointed if I can't build a ship entirely out of lasers and missile launchers and pretend that Starfox Zero never existed.

"I regret nothing!" /awkwardzombie

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Gummiships are good enough to be it's own game tbh.
    Lego should get on that shit with a clone.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    The funny thing about the gummi ship is that you can apparently make your ship a massive ring of all guns and all enemy bullets will pass harmlessly through you, because their aim is always center of mass when you have nothing there, as your guns lay waste to everything.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    One of the things I recall KH2 doing a lot better than 1 is making the worlds more relevant to the plot, or at least having main plot stuff happen way more on them

the vast majority of KH1 is for the most part irrelevant retreads of the Disney movies, and the only things that make them matter are the like two times Riku shows up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    The best part of KH2 is
    the massive fight scene with Squall and Cloud combatting a horde of Heartless and then Sephiroth shows up in one-winged angel form.

Madican on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    The proper order is release order.

Anyway, I would say do this:

Play KH1
    Try Chain of Memories. If you like the gameplay, finish it. If you don't, watch a cutscene compilation on YouTube, cause the story is both very good and sets up KH2
    Play KH2
    If you are interested in learning more about Roxas and Axel, watch the Days movie. I would watch it anyway, because I think Xion might end up being important in KH3
    Play Birth By Sleep
    The Coded movie is the most skippable, but I would say watch the ending parts.
    Grab the 2.8 collection and experience the three things on it in whatever order you want.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    I will say that AFP has an ending scene that leads right off of DDD, so there's a bit of a reason to do those in an order.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Remember BHK

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Here is a brief list of some of the Disney and Square Enix things that have come out between Kingdom Hearts 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3

Square
    - Final Fantasy 12 (2006)
    - Odin Sphere (2007)
    - The World Ends With You (2007)
    - The Last Remnant (2008)
    - Final Fantasy 13 (2009)
    - Just Cause 2 (2010)
    - Nier (2010)
    - Final Fantasy 14 (2010)
    - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
    - Final Fantasy 13-2 (2011)
    - Sleeping Dogs (2012)
    - Hitman: Absolution (2012)
    - Tomb Raider (2013)
    - Final Fantasy 14 (2013)
    - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 (2013)
    - Drakengard 3 (2013)
    - Thief (2014)
    - Life Is Strange (2015)
    - Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)
    - Just Cause 3 (2015)
    - Hitman (2016)
    - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)
    - World of Final Fantasy (2016)
    - Final Fantasy 15 (2016)
    - Nier Automata (2017)
    - Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age (2017)

Disney
    - Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (2006)
    - Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (2007)
    - Ratatouille (2007)
    - Enchanted (2007)
    - National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)
    - Wall-E (2008)
    - Bolt (2008)
    - Race to Witch Mountain (2009)
    - Up (2009)
    - G-Force (2009)
    - Old Dogs (2009)
    - The Princess and the Frog (2009)
    - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
    - Toy Story 3 (2010)
    - Tangled (2010)
    - Tron: Legacy (2010)
    - Mars Needs Moms (2011)
    - Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (2011)
    - Cars 2 (2011)
    - The Muppets (2011)
    - John Carter (2012)
    - Brave (2012)
    - The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012)
    - Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
    - Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
    - Monsters University (2013)
    - The Lone Ranger (2013)
    - Frozen (2013)
    - Big Hero 6 (2014)
    - Cinderella (2015)
    - Tomorrowland (2015)
    - Inside Out (2015)
    - The Good Dinosaur (2015)
    - Zootopia (2016)
    - The Jungle Book (2016)
    - Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
    - Finding Dory (2016)
    - Moana (2016)
    - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
    - Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (2017)
    - Cars 3 (2017)
    - Coco (2017)

Those are BRIEF lists

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    People really gotta get over this hang up about numbered KH games.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Madican wrote: »
    The best part of KH2 is
    the massive fight scene with Squall and Cloud combatting a horde of Heartless and then Sephiroth shows up in one-winged angel form.

The banter in that particular scene is pretty good

• Options
    Sanctuary

They don't

It will have been 12 years between console Kingdom Hearts games that move the story forward

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

They don't

It will have been 12 years between console Kingdom Hearts games that move the story forward

Except no. Because Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance both move the story forward.

And why does it matter if it's on a console instead of a handheld?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Dream Drop Distance does, since it deliberately sets up the objective of KH3, but BBS doesn't actually move the story forward; it fills it out.

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    That list just makes me sad that there will never be another The World Ends With You.

• Options

Kingdom hearts 2 was the third game.

The numbering has been arbitrary bullshit from the start, but KH3 still gets treated by some like the only important thing since the PS2 games.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

what if, instead of that, they got promoted and given a dev team to make rail shooter games

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    Dream Drop Distance does, since it deliberately sets up the objective of KH3, but BBS doesn't actually move the story forward; it fills it out.

It does, but it also gives the story the ability to move forward, by giving the villain an identity and plan beyond the ones ended in KHI and KHII. The objective in KHIII is basically an attempt by him to do what he failed to do in BBS.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean

It does, but it also gives the story the ability to move forward, by giving the villain an identity and plan beyond the ones ended in KHI and KHII

That could have all been done in DDD, though, since the only person who knows who Xehanort (the old one) is during that game is the player, and Yensid I guess, so the game still has to explain who he is and what he's after to Sora and Riku, as well as and who Ventus, Terra and Aqua are. It's all technically exposition that could have taken place in Dream Drop Distance. BBS gives it some extra depth, but isn't necessary for the story to move forward, which is why I said it fills out the existing narrative, rather than moving the story forward.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Which KH is the one where the entire game is pointless because it retroactively erases the plot and character from existence upon completion again?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Which KH is the one where the entire game is pointless because it retroactively erases the plot and character from existence upon completion again?

Technically that's Chain of Memories, or maybe Coded? I think both pretty much end with 'and you'll never remember that any of this ever happened' which is why they never talk about it. It's not exactly pointless, because stuff happens that informs other stuff later, but the characters never reference what happens during the events of that game, because they don't remember that it happened.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Oh, we just call it KH '09.

Real talk? It used to be 358 Days/2. But coded and DDD have made it pretty obvious that the erased character is gonna play a part, because Sora is physically incapable of not trying to rescue people.

Enlong on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    You're thinking of 358/2 Days, but it's not actually the case and also people who finish that game and come out saying that character "doesn't matter" are horrible monsters who missed the point entirely

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Numbered games will always be important

The fact that people make lists about which non-numbered games are unimportant is exactly why people care about the numbered ones

• Options
    Well none of them.

And also it's a spoiler for the one you are thinking of.
    358/2 ends with everyone forgetting Xion, but it seems like she is going to be imortant, or at least come back, in KH3.

And also the point of that game is explaining who Roxas is, how he became the person he was and how he ends up where he is at the begining of KH2.

Also calling into question everything DiZ tells Sora about the nature of Nobodies. Which what he tells Sora in 2 is then proven to be mostly a big ol' pile of revenge fueled bullshit in DDD.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Oh yeah I forgot about 358/2, no pun intended. It again is stuff that happens, but they added a contrivance so that no one 'remembers' that it happened

• Options

The fact that people make lists about which non-numbered games are unimportant is exactly why people care about the numbered ones

They should've numbered all of them or none of them.

Called the third game Kingdom Hearts UnReaL or some shit.

• Options

Technically that's Chain of Memories, or maybe Coded? I think both pretty much end with 'and you'll never remember that any of this ever happened' which is why they never talk about it. It's not exactly pointless, because stuff happens that informs other stuff later, but the characters never reference what happens during the events of that game, because they don't remember that it happened.

Riku totes remembers COM, and it hasn't stopped being a plot point yet. And Meleficent is trying her damndest to remind us of coded.

• Options
    Sanctuary

They should've numbered all of them or none of them.

Called the third game Kingdom Hearts UnReaL or some shit.

I guess

But then I would have felt real weird playing Kingdom Hearts 1 and 3 without playing 2 because I didn't own a GBA

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Ah right, 358/2 that was it.

It's kind of annoying how Kingdom Hearts keeps jumping around consoles. I might need to review some plot summaries before KH3 shows up, or see if I can grab 1.5/2.5 for "cheap".