As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Infinity] N3 out: Only in USAriadna can you find a Coke Bottling Plant in the year 2185

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Alright, I want to play as the faction with werewolves and want maximum lycanthrope. What should I do?
    I'd recommend going with generic Ariadna and bringing along two Dog Warriors and an Antipode assault pack. The Caledonian Sectorial has pretty good dogs, and McMurrough the character mercenary is statwise the best dog in the game by dint of being both a scary good martial artist and having a gigantic templar claymore that's both Armour Piercing and Double Action.

Dog Warriors are awesome because they're a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice for the enemy unless they have TR bots. If you shoot the Dog Warrior he transforms into a giant werewolf who's faster and more deadly, but if you don't shoot him he's just going to walk up to your army unmolested and you're still going to have to kill him later.

Antipode are crazy fast, camouflaged and you activate all the dogs on a single order. They can tear things up in close combat and they've got sensor so they can reveal enemy camo units really easily.

The biggest strengths of Ariadna is your ability to spam out camouflage and that everything in the army is cheap as dirt. It's super easy for Ariadna to field a 20 order list which means that you don't feel casualties anywhere near as hard as other factions do and crits happen so easy cheap garbage can get lucky and kill super expensive elite stuff. Playing in generic you've got access to a ton of Camo units, really amazing stuff like the Veteran Kazaks and Van Zant and super cheap garbage like Caledonian volunteers to fuel the amazing guys and werewolves. Try not to get too carried away sticking every amazing unit into a single list, try to aim for about

Downsides of Ariadna, you don't get any cool toys, no hacking, no TO camo, no MSV2 and no ODD, TAGs or super fancy multi-weapons. Your guys also don't have amazing willpower and don't have cubes, which means that your Doctors can't spend command tokens to reroll attempts at doctoring unconscious troops, so there's a 45% chance you'll kill anybody you try to get back up, so don't get too attached.

I'm by no means an expert in Ariadna but a 300 point list might look something like this.

logo_301.png Ariadna
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png9 orden_irregular.png1 orden_impetuosa.png1
    logo_29.png112 Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 12)
    logo_19.pngVOLUNTEER Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 8)
    logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Lieutenant Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
    logo_4.pngGRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
    logo_4.pngGRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
    logo_16.pngDOG-WARRIOR 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / AP CCW. (0 | 27)
    logo_51.pngBLACKJACK AP HMG, Chest Mines, D.E.P. / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (2 | 36)
    logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK AP HMG / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 47)
    logo_9.pngFOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
    logo_9.pngFOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png6 orden_irregular.png3 orden_impetuosa.png2
    logo_19.pngVOLUNTEER Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 8)
    logo_16.pngDOG-WARRIOR 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / AP CCW. (0 | 27)
    logo_15.pngASSAULT PACK . (0 | 25)
    sep.giflogo_15.pngHANDLER Rifle, Smoke Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (- | 10)
    sep.giflogo_15_2.pngx3 ANTIPODE AP CC Weapon. (- | 15)
    logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
    logo_30.pngDOZER (Traktor Mul Control Device) Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    logo_31.pngTRAKTOR MUL (Minesweeper) Electric Pulse. (0 | 5)
    logo_31.pngTRAKTOR MUL (Minesweeper) Electric Pulse. (0 | 5)
    logo_14.pngIRMANDINHO Chain Rifle, D-Charges, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 8)

5 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    USAriadna would be my guess.

Nah, USAriadna limits you to just Devil Dogs

I'd say base Ariadna: Any 2 of Devil Dogs, Cameronians, or Dog Warriors along with Sgt Duroc from Equipe Mirage 5, 9th Wulvers, and Antipodes

fuck gendered marketing
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    Not the best paintjob in the world, but I smashed these guys out in about 3 weeks in preparation for a tournament, any thoughts on how I should base them?
    wuqa2wohpj97.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    @Aegeri I've done a fair bit of research as a new Ariadna player on the different dog options. I'm still a noob to Infinity so some vets can probably weigh in, but as a bit of a head start re: werewolves...
    • Werewolves are a result of the Ariadnan's having...interactions with the local lupine critters, called Antipodes. I'll refer to the werewolf hybrids as Wolfmen and the actual dogs as Antipodes, since there's an option to take both.
    • There is a maximum availability of certain unit types (i.e. you can't bring 6 of the ultra-awesome 50point whatevers even if you can fit them in the list). Most werewolves share the same availability despite being different units, so keep that in mind.
    • Most Werewolf/Antipode creatures are Extremely Impetuous, which means a forced move at the beginning of the turn (in addition to their order). The free movement is great, but in a game where free overwatch shots are literally everywhere it can be used to bait you into a bad situation.
    • Your main choice for actual werewolves will be Devildog Teams and Dog Warriors.
    • Devildog teams come as a two-fer: one Wolfman and one Antipode. The Wolfman is very similar to what you get with Dog Warriors (although I believe another point of armor and different equipment). The Antipode is just a big dumb mean dog, so while he doesn't get guns he gets other gribblies like Sensor and Mimetism, the former of which helps you find hidden things and the latter of which is a sort of hiding.
    • Dog Warriors are different, they're superhumans that can "hulk out" and turn into a Wolfman when they've taken a wound. The Wolfman profile is similar to the Devildog one, but focuses on getting up close and personal with twin chain rifles (both pre and post hulking).
    • 2nd Cameronians from what I can tell are basically Dog Warriors, but they come pre-hulked and are a bit cheaper to reflect that they don't get the extra wound first.
    • The Antipode Assault Pack is a pack of 3 Antipode pups and a handler. If the handler dies, the Antipodes run away.
    • The special characters Equipe Mirage 5 (couldn't find them in the catalog for some reason) include a human (Lt. Berthier) and a Wolfman (Sgt. Duroc). They're expensive (69 points for the pair) but via Airborne Infiltration can enter through any table edge (though not through the enemy's deployment zone) and act as a real shock unit.

I opted to join team Dog Warriors for my AVA2 pups. Devildogs seem a bit pricier, and having to use the Antipode nearby (it has to maintain coherency with the Wolfman) seems to limit their flexibility. Likewise, the Antipode packs seem like a lot of headache...3 models moving around in coherency, impetuous, can only do CC stuff, and all that for just +2 burst if you can manage to get all 3 of them into CC with the same target. Seems like a pain in the ass and I'd rather spend those 25 points elsewhere.

There are other wolfy-like things, such as Col. Voronin (who has a pet Antipode as a guardian) and Wulvers (who are wolfy people but don't have as predominant features/stats for it).

Hope this helps!

edit: shit everyone beat me to it
    edit2: shit I forgot 2nd Cameronians

mr_mich on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I have absolutely no idea what anything you said means.

However, I have got the idea that "My soldiers can turn into werewolves" and this delights me.

FIG-007-540-INFINITY-USARIADNA-ARMY-PACK-21.jpg

This is the box I have coming for the stores army.

Edit: Reading the other posts (that just appeared), am I able to add those units above to other armies or would I be stuck only on USAriadna?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    In that picture, the Devil Dog starts off in Wolf form and pairs up with the Antipode.

If you want soldiers that turn into werewolves, then you need Dog Warriors DogWarriors1.jpg

PSN Fleety2009
    Then you can join team Battlejorts:

HC9dNgl.jpg?1

Can I field what I get in that box with the Dog Warriors and the Antipode team?

edited August 2017
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can I field what I get in that box with the Dog Warriors and the Antipode team?

You couldn't field all of them: you'd have to decide on 2 of the 3 werewolves. You also would only be able to use 2 of the 3 Grunts in the USAriadna box

Edit: but otherwise yes

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    Oh I just wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally cut myself out of using those other models. I haven't even got my store copy or anything of the base game yet, so I'm jumping the gun a bit. Even if it doesn't work out, I still have a bunch of awesome Werewolf models.

Oh I just wanted to make sure I hadn't accidentally cut myself out of using those other models. I haven't even got my store copy or anything of the base game yet, so I'm jumping the gun a bit. Even if it doesn't work out, I still have a bunch of awesome Werewolf models.

The Army builder is a good place to go to, to work out what will fit and what is available to your army. It can be tricky to find thing if you don't know their unit type (the wolves all seem to come under WB, or warband, while the Grunts are MI, or Medium Infantry)

In generic Ariadna for instance, you wouldn't be able to have the Devil Dog Team and 2 (you could have 1) Dog Warriors. You also couldn't have 3 Grunts, as their AVA 2.

But for the USAriadna, you can have as many grunts as you like and that fit pointswise, although going into that sectorial, you loose access to werewolves which aren't Devil Dog teams.

PSN Fleety2009
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    USAriadna would be my guess.

Or Kazak theme. Dog Warriors + Antipode Assault packs. I'm not sure how they stack up against the AVA for USAriadna K9 Teams.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    edited August 2017
    Looks like a customer will be buying my USAriadna anyway. I will probably switch to Haqqislam instead, to diversify the store armies early on.

Edit: Starting suggestions?

Aegeri on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just general Haqq suggestions? Red Veil and Beyond Red Veil. Then the new Hassassin starter and Muyibs box when they release. This (un?)fortunately gives you a 300pt Yu Jing force too.

That's a huge general selection of badass Haqqislam stuff. Single blisters to consider - Azra'il (either), Al Fasid, Barid, Ragik (either).

-Loki- on
    That's not unfortunate: I always need at least two armies in the store anyway.

Corvus Belli has generally gotten better when it comes to designing models that you have to build, but the Red Veil box does have some (2?) models that are a right pain in the arse to assemble.

The sniper Taureg is a rather difficult customer.

PSN Fleety2009
    I have assembled many nightmares in my time. I shall be fine.

Some of my customers? Might be a tad different.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Corvus Belli has generally gotten better when it comes to designing models that you have to build, but the Red Veil box does have some (2?) models that are a right pain in the arse to assemble.

The sniper Taureg is a rather difficult customer.

See, I had waaaaaay more problems with other models in that kit. The Tuareg actually went together easily. The male Zanshi also from Red Veil was a nightmare, for example. The 2 male Aquaciles from Icestorm were so bad that it caused me to shelve Infinity for two years no joke.

Basically, the rule is, if it's an Infinity model and it's holding a gun with both hands like it's aiming downsight, you're probably going to have a bad time.

EDIT: Here's a tip: Get yourself some superglue accelerator immediately. Put glue on 1 piece and spray the other then put the pieces together and it will cure almost instantly. Also score the contact points with a hobby knife so that the glue has more surface area to adhere to. Always dry fit first to make sure things fit.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I picked up some Loctite on suggestion from a friend and started using it this morning on my new models. The stuff is fuckin' amazing, I haven't had as easy a time as this since I was putting together basic plastic space marines.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Icestorm stuff, incidentally, goes together like a dream

The only Haqq stuff that annoyed me was the Tuareg. Everything else was fine. And the Tuareg is quite sturdy, it just has small joints.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I had no problems with Red Veil aside from the Tuareg.

Then I dropped it off a table and broke it.

It still hasn't been rebuilt.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I only assembled the Haqq side of Red Veil and it was all good, except for the repeatedly mentioned Taureg. No matter how long I spent dry-fitting it I never found a position where all of the joins lined up, so I eventually just glued it in some garbage way.

It hasn't fallen apart so the joins that worked are good, but either I got a bad cast, it warped in some way, or that mold is just garbage.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I glue all pewter models with a mix of green stuff and super glue, makes a rock hard joint and naturally gap fills. Just clean off any excess that squeezes out when you fit the pieces together.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2017
    I will just glue it and fix it in post with greenstuff.

Such is my way.

Edit: Should I assume Icestorm is better for customers than Red Veil?

Aegeri on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I glue all pewter models with a mix of green stuff and super glue, makes a rock hard joint and naturally gap fills. Just clean off any excess that squeezes out when you fit the pieces together.

It's not that it's hard to glue, it's that it's a nightmare to get the arms to align. Even after dryfitting repeatedly, it's still a nightmare. Having one arm have a rock hard join, and then find out when positioning the other that it needs to be repositioned isn't the most enticing idea.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's not that it's hard to glue, it's that it's a nightmare to get the arms to align. Even after dryfitting repeatedly, it's still a nightmare. Having one arm have a rock hard join, and then find out when positioning the other that it needs to be repositioned isn't the most enticing idea.

Personally if I ever need to attach a matched set of limbs (like, two arms holding the same gun) I glue both arms at the same time in order to ensure the fit is correct. I also have general sticky tac for dry fit tests.

I'm not stranger to it myself. The Tuareg is a special piece of ridiculous.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Taureg literally does not fit together. And its pieces are tiny.

I've assembled a lot of three-point joints in my time. Some are not like the others.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I must have gotten super lucky. I had no trouble whatsoever with the Tuareg. When I get done typing this I'm going to go look at her because you've all convinced me that I must have fucked up.

All most every other model holding a gun with both hands has been a problem for me. In most cases dry fitting and bending got me through. In some cases I had to come to peace with slightly broken wrists.

@Aegeri RE: Icesorm vs Red Veil assembly: buy the one you're interested in. It's metal models so any of them can work out to be frustrating to assemble, but certainly not impossible.

I am really loving the look of these rules now I am having a read of it. The combat system looks really innovative. I now cannot wait for my stock to arrive.

Icestorm and Red Veil are p much equivalent in terms of new player content: Equivalent starter rules (though not identical, they're tailored to the models in each box), dice, tokens, similar flat-pack card terrain sets, etc.

The primary difference is the included models themselves and the factions they each represent.

fuck gendered marketing
    And catwalks.

Red Veil also has more weapons in its limited rules. Icestorm basically sticks to combi rifle and snipers. Red Veil adds in rifles, shotguns, breaker rifles, HMGs. It also provides (imo) more asymmetrical forces.

Though on the other hand more similar forces are nice for tutorial games as there is less perceived imbalance and less stats to remember.

You can't go wrong with either (or both!), seriously.

edited August 2017
    Depends on what people buy.

I basically get what they don't purchase. I think this game has a good chance in my area.

Aegeri on
    One thing that is cool about Infinity:

I got 4 free models from a friend and that's basically 1/3rd of an army :D

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I am really loving the look of these rules now I am having a read of it. The combat system looks really innovative. I now cannot wait for my stock to arrive.

So, the big thing with learning for me was:

1) Understand that 90% of the game is understanding how orders work and the whole 'it's all simultaneous, ALL OF IT' creates the majority of interactions and weird exploitation points you need to grasp.

2) Because the game is mostly about that weird, knotty ball of time that is the order it's actually kinda simple! There's not really effects that are super complex outside of some of the G:servant (don't run Pupniks unless you're prepared for shit to get weird).

3) There is however alot of simple rules in a full army. I super, duper recommend playing 100/150 point games with a simple central objective and a focus on players having mostly line troopers/basic jobbers and a few fancier pieces that they then learn that match.

Just as an aside a lot of people I play with (in spite of me winning consistently, suck it Pan-O) got the impression that luck has an over riding influence on the game. For what it's worth that's not being my opinion but it can cause key swings. Emphasize to players:

a) Any time they use a model they should accept it could die and that good play comes from having a plan after Rambo gets killed by a 10pt combi rifle critting.

b) That even power units are weak in the reactive turn. Atalanta might have a modified BS of 20 to hit that HMG pushing up with no cover but B1 is a liars dice and you should never trust it. The game is very much about setting up fields of fire, defusing your opponents and how order efficient you are at doing both.

First rule of learning a new game is never, ever blaming luck.

You can't change luck, you can only change how you play.

I've fiddled with a test game, using heretical 40k models, but so far this is an impressive system. The wait for the miniatures is agonizing.

I've fiddled with a test game, using heretical 40k models, but so far this is an impressive system. The wait for the miniatures is agonizing.

My first test game used my brother's AoS minis

Also my brother

And lots of empty cereal boxes

fuck gendered marketing
    I think I get as much joy when looking for scenery for Infinity than I do for models.

I'm greatly looking forward to this stuff from Antenocitis when it hit retails (hopefully linking an old kickstarter video is ok; they've said it should hit retail October or November)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_raNyCGQ94

PSN Fleety2009
This discussion has been closed.