As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax West 2017 Prep Thread

2»

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    jthom252 wrote: »
    Anyone have good recommendations for jackets with lots of space?

This came to mind
    https://shop.nerdist.com/products/ultimate-convention-hoodie-2015

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

jthom252 on
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Didn't know about sling backpacks, looks like exactly what I was after.

I was about to ask about specific small-ish bags but there are a few sling backpacks that might exactly do the trick!

It seems difficult to find just the right size bag that can carry a stool (first PAX and I've seen a lot of people recommend them), merch, and a water bottle pouch.

KopeAcetic on
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    This is the pack I decided to go with, seemed perfect for my needs, we'll see once I get there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KMMD5N4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Alternatively, any good suggestions for a smaller backpack? I have a full-size one but that's kind of excessive and makes getting around the Expo Hall a pain.
    I know sling bags were already suggested (and honestly I feel like they give away at least one free one to everybody every year) but another option would be those tiny backpack purses that are apparently in vogue right now. They're basically just...tiny backpacks, for women. You can even find some with rad patterns.

Scunosi on
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Alternatively, any good suggestions for a smaller backpack? I have a full-size one but that's kind of excessive and makes getting around the Expo Hall a pain.
    I know sling bags were already suggested (and honestly I feel like they give away at least one free one to everybody every year) but another option would be those tiny backpack purses that are apparently in vogue right now. They're basically just...tiny backpacks, for women. You can even find some with rad patterns.

I bought this one, the 20l version. Fits my 3ds, Fire tablet, 2 cell phones, water bottle, snacks, light rain jacket, compact umbrella and wallet and there still some room for swag. Went through 3 Paxes and not showing any wear and tear. And it's currently 1 buck cheaper than when I purchased it :P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TEIVUQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Timbuk2 always has really great sales during PAX too, they're on the corner of 7th & Pine, if you need a really great quality sling bag. =)

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    One thing that I can not under state is to check for your badges before you leave home!!!
    Seriously, put a sticky note on the front door, on the car door, on the steering wheel, to remind you to check for your badges and do it every time you see the note!
    Set an alarm on your phone, like right now, as you are reading this, STOP, set the alarm to pack your badges on the morning you are leaving for PAX.

I know it's a bit late for this year's PAX but this is an excellent everyday carry that will hold up to anything you can put it through at a con http://www.equnit.com/equilibrium/shop/heat-050-large-accessory-case/

That is the small satchel type bag if you are not into grabbing up swag (if there is any offered this year, seems to be less of a thing every year) but they have other offerings in bag size and configuration that are really awesome. Also, they might actually be at PAX selling their product at a discount; they seem to hit most major conventions.

I have back issues and it took me 4 PAX to figure out to bring a collapsible chair/stool. Waiting in line this is a lifesaver!
    On this note, if you do have medical issues then contact PAX about getting a medical pass. They make all the difference in the world.

In addition to what everyone else has stated for the everyday carry I would suggest the following:
    • Flashlight - You don't want to depend on your phone for this.
    • Some sort of Multitool - When you have one you find yourself using it more often than you would think.
    • Cosplay repair items - Even if you aren't doing cosplay, if you have safety pins, superglue, needle, and thread you can be a hero to a coser in need.
    • Contact cards - If you're a cosplayer or plan on taking pictures of cosplayers a way to share these photos after the con is a great thing to have. Even if you don't plan on either of those, can be a good way to stay in touch with those line friends :wink:
    • Sunglasses - Seattle can be bright when the sun is out, especially with all the glass from buildings reflecting that sun.
    • Lighter - Not just for smokers...
    • Waterproof matches - You never know.
    • Water mix-ins - Yes water is your friend and is best for you. But having a few packets of an energy type drink to mix in will help. I suggest G-Fuel, the Pineapple is amazing!
    • Actual wall charger - Battery backups are cool, but the convention center is a signal black hole causing phones to suck up the battery looking for a tower. Having a backup to the battery backup is a great option.

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • dragonmammadragonmamma OregonRegistered User regular
    Do you think an inflatable chair would be ok to bring for the Friday morning que line? Its chair size not the lounger...
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9Q2KKJ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AG6UJI9N8HSP

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Do you think an inflatable chair would be ok to bring for the Friday morning que line? Its chair size not the lounger...
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9Q2KKJ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AG6UJI9N8HSP

I have no authority, but probably not.
    Generally pop up stools are the size that is recommended around here (I've used mine every year). The issue is that often lines get compacted to fit everyone in a given space, so your sitting footprint shouldn't be much bigger than your standing footprint.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I have no authority, but probably not.
    Generally pop up stools are the size that is recommended around here (I've used mine every year). The issue is that often lines get compacted to fit everyone in a given space, so your sitting footprint shouldn't be much bigger than your standing footprint.
    Indeed, to have a stool in a line, the sitting footprint shouldn't be larger than your standing footprint.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular

I personally can't recommend the Anker fast charge power bank enough. I've been testing it at a few events and it's been a beast. So glad I'll be bringing this to Seattle instead of my older one that took forever to get my phone back up to 100 percent.

Seconding Anker Powerbanks. I use this one and it is AMAZING!

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    EscoBlades wrote: »

I personally can't recommend the Anker fast charge power bank enough. I've been testing it at a few events and it's been a beast. So glad I'll be bringing this to Seattle instead of my older one that took forever to get my phone back up to 100 percent.

Seconding Anker Powerbanks. I use this one and it is AMAZING!
    Same one, same opinion. My phone is a power hog, and that thing would last a couple nights of Pokemon Go without fail.

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Safety Tip: When outside of the convention, tuck your badge into your shirt, secure it in your bag, other put it in some other safe location. Badge snatching has occurred in the past, so best to be safe! Possibly even more relevant if your lanyard is covered in pins!

55ymlH2.png
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »

I bought this one, the 20l version. Fits my 3ds, Fire tablet, 2 cell phones, water bottle, snacks, light rain jacket, compact umbrella and wallet and there still some room for swag. Went through 3 Paxes and not showing any wear and tear. And it's currently 1 buck cheaper than when I purchased it :P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TEIVUQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it pretty comfy for wearing for a 1/2 day +?

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    Review the schedule and plan your day(s) in advance. Schedule is live so 3-2-1 GO! You will miss stuff but that's life at PAX.

Be open minded and try tourneys, panels, live podcasts, etc and get yourself off the exhibition floor. It will give you a break from the crowds. Last year my son and I tried the Duck Game Tourney. He plays and I didn't. I got HAMMERED in the 1st round but we still had a blast. We also played some board games to take a break from screens and that was fun too.

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    vid wrote: »
    Safety Tip: When outside of the convention, tuck your badge into your shirt, secure it in your bag, other put it in some other safe location. Badge snatching has occurred in the past, so best to be safe! Possibly even more relevant if your lanyard is covered in pins!

Similar to this, don't take things people try and shove into your hands outside convention center. Some people with try force you to biy CDs this way.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Me being a larger guy (just under 300) I don't trust those chairs that say "Up to 300 lbs", and have been using this stool at PAX for the last 4 years, and LOVE it! Super light, and easy to carry around, or strap to your backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC3GOSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    SinoSamba wrote: »

Is it pretty comfy for wearing for a 1/2 day +?

It was. The straps are not too narrow and they are made of a foamy mesh cloth.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239