As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I have high, well, above surface, hopes for the combat changes, it's one of the 3 things this game really needs to work on.
    Other 2 being thralls (interactivity) and building (resources needed, time taken to make parts, and most of all, setting blocks and how they fit together).

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'll probably be picking this up whenever it hits full release on PS4 next year.

Is it soloable? Can I do dungeons and stuff like that by myself?

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    I am looking forward to all the new crafting options. Probably wont be journeying up north right off the bat.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'll probably be picking this up whenever it hits full release on PS4 next year.

Is it soloable? Can I do dungeons and stuff like that by myself?

Yes, the one dungeon we have access to right now -- The Dregs -- is soloable. But by the time you're able to comfortably solo it, the gear from the crafting recipes you learn in there is already obsolete.

Can't answer that about the 2 new dungeons until next week.

Everything else is soloable in the open world. The Dregs is actually instanced. You hit a zone line when you go in there and it takes you off the world map.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Anyone have an idea of when the new biome drops? I was thinking I might jump on with you all, and would like to level up enough to be able to enjoy the northlands.

New update (which includes the new area) is suppose to drop Wednesday (8/16). Not sure what time or when Elimination will update the server. I am curious if he will do a partial (Items,buildings) or full wipe. I will be home that day and would love to jump in.

Shoot, I guess I should get on.

I'm super pumped for the Frozen North expansion on Wednesday.

I put in probably as much as 16 hours of game time this weekend. I'll probably play more tonight and tomorrow too. Been prepping a bunch of t2 and t3 materials. We don't know what will be different or required yet for the new cold-weather t2 and t3 structures, so I'm not going to waste my time on stone or brick, because those will probably be different. What I've been working on instead is iron and steel reinforcements, and stone consolodant and steelfire.

I'm also planning on pre-constructing a t2 wheel, and a well, and some large chests to take with me. And a bed.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So, it looks like Conan is coming to the Xbox One Game Preview program on August 16, with one caveat: loincloth (at least in the US version).

edit: Here's a gameplay stream of it in action from 8/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDjINzCVGg

- it will be $34.99 USD during the game preview period.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's the point then

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »
    New update (which includes the new area) is suppose to drop Wednesday (8/16). Not sure what time or when Elimination will update the server. I am curious if he will do a partial (Items,buildings) or full wipe. I will be home that day and would love to jump in.

Would you guys want a full wipe?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Not a fan of a full wipe, but I could live with a item/building wipe. Keeping character/stats only.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The video I linked said that only the public servers would be wiped when they update, private servers would be up to admin

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I don't know if a map wipe is really necessary on Elim's server. There's still a lot of space left in the desert region. And on top of that, some of us have invested a lot of time into the bases we have.

Don't get me wrong. I would prefer no wipe at all. Was just stating that if he did do a wipe, could it just be a item/building wipe.

What I'm wondering is where/how the new map will connect to the existing map. Right now there's a pretty big wall of stone all along the northern edge of the map. I'm guessing that the entire wall of stone is being removed?

I think they said during one of the streams that there will be two passages that lead to the new area.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    At this point I don't think a wipe is needed honestly. 2 weeks ago I was able to find decent places to start a base near resources with relative ease.

Elimination, do you know if your going to be able to update the server once the patch is live, or will you wait tell the evening?

edited August 2017
    New update - Been playing the update solo, and ran into a major thrall bug. All free standing thralls (archers/warrior) disappear permanently when you leave the area. Everyone might want to store those thralls. Also not a fan of the store weapons when running change. OK, exiting the game and restarting, restores all the vanishing thralls. Not sure how that will work on multiplayer. But in single player, thralls return.

BitTWist on
    Oh crap. I meant to get online and shove all my thralls in a box. I was afraid there would be "people problems." But last night when I had the time available to do that, it completely slipped my mind.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hrm, I'm hesitant to update the server then.

Edit: Patch notes:
    This frosty biome comes with new types of weather such as rain and snow if you want to escape the scorching sun and sandstorms. Beware, however, that with our newly implemented temperature system, you will need to be prepared for both! Be sure you have ample heavy clothing to warm yourself in the mountains, and light clothing in the desert. We have over 20 new dye colors as well, so you can travel in stlye or sport your clan's colors.

Along with armor, you will also need to be well armed. Be on the lookout for new types of weapons and weapon materials like star metal. A new region means new monsters and wildlife including wolves, bears, frost giants, mammoths, and many more!

Further protect yourself from the elements and dangers by building your shelter with new resources such as black ice. Take note that the type of matieral you use is important for which environment you're building in! Building has been made easier by learning building pieces in tiers, rather than individually. After completing your structure, you can select new furniture and items to decorate your home with such as ice boxes, stoves, and other machines to help you survive. Outdoors, you can place beehives and fishing traps to gain honey and oil.

If you're in need of more supplies or looking for more action, you can enter the newest dungeons like the Abandoned Keep; make sure you are prepared for what awaits you at the end. This update also includes the new avatar, Ymir: Lord of Storm and War. Take control and decimate villiages and forts with his mighty battle-axe! We don't want to spoil everything there is to see in this update, so bundle up and head on out!

Important Patch Notes
    If you are an admin you can use CTRL- RMB on the map screen to teleport to that location
    Fixed an instance where placing doors or elevators was impossible.
    Fixed a problem with thrall placement and intersection with wall
    Grass/foliage is no longer missing in certain areas
    Thralls are no longer invisible while on a station
    Non-guild members can now interact with chairs and benches
    You can no longer prevent fall damage when logging out.
    Dancer thralls no longer show as "bad entry" when picked up.
    Raised shields now correctly prevent damage from NPCs.
    Consumables now display spoil times
    Fixed an instance where crashing occurs when taking a thrall out of a station
    Adjusted spider ranged attacks
    Adjusted spider respawn rates
    T3 Set temple base now stays the same size as a T2 to prevent space issues
    Fixed an instance where T3 Mitra Altars were floating above ground
    Known locations of floating rocks have been fixed. BUT: if anyone notices any others please let us know the location!
    Machines now correctly stop using fuel when the last object is crafted.
    You can no longer loot things that should not have loot.
    Fixed instances where thralls have missing armor/limbs.
    You now gain XP from repairing
    Radius of claimed land has been reduced.
    Adjusted decay rate for T1 buildings
    Fixed an issue with looting containers on official Blitz servers.
    Adjusted sounds of footsteps and impacts
    Hand torch now has sound
    Adjusted collision with Mitra fountain statue
    Fixed cases where UI didn't disappear when in vanity mode
    Fixed instance where some food would not decay
    Filled in inescapable hole in The Black Keep
    Some cases where NPCs would spawn underwater has been updated
    Placeables no longer stick to your mouse when there is no more of that type to be placed.
    Losing connection to a server now kicks you back to the main menu
    Humanoid NPC difficulty level has been adjusted
    Bindings now correctly showon Thrall feet
    Adjusted loot and items from drops
    Crosshair aim for the bow is no longer offset
    Fixed an issue where killing certain exile NPCs would crash a server.

In addition to these patch notes, we have over 2,000 changes made to the game, many to do with the new expansion. We aren't able to list each and every one of them out, but these should make for a better playing experience.

Known Issues
    While building the building piece brush can snap to a building at an inverted rotation from what is intended. Snapping to another location will fix this for now. This will be fixed in the next patch
    Investigating issues with being able to remove the crude wooden bowls when placed.
    Some thralls have crafting station bonuses that are too small to be interesting. This will be changed and updated during the upcoming thrall revamp.
    When you log in to the game, there are cases where you may have missing body pieces or hair, reequipping your armor pieces should fix this
    While building, the building piece brush can stay at the location you just placed a building piece.
    If you pick Ymir as your god in character creation, the Ymir T1 feat is not unlocked. This will be fixed in the first patch
    Thralls will attack any knocked NPCs who you are dragging back to base. This will be fixed in the first patch. Workaround: Put your thralls into containers or far away when capturing new NPCs
    The new machines (Fluid Press etc) display the old diagram for camp fire. We are working on a fix
    Inside of new T2 buildings (Insulated wooden wall) has a flickering texture problem. We are currently investigating a fix.
    Inside of new T3 building (black ice-reinforced wall) has a flickering texture problem. We are currently investigating a fix.
    If you climb or sprint after fighting using the new weapons (star metal, black ice, cimmerian hardened steel), you may stop dealing damage. Workaround is to unequip and reequip the weapons after climbing/sprinting to deal damage again. We are working on a fix.
    Some types of undead in the new biome may deal incorrect damage. We are working on a fix.

Karoz on
  • MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    So this is on sale on Steam and considering getting it, decision between this an Albion Online to scratch that "grind resources/build digital contructs/repeat" itch. Anything I should know to push me to break out the CC?

@Fairchild

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    @Fairchild

And there I was thinking this was meant as demonstration of Mitra's aura.

I actually noticed that as I ran back and forth from your base to the Dogs camp that the shrine was shifting. If I approached it from the south (your base) it usually appeared to be floating and out of place. But if I went up to the Dogs camp and then came back down and approached your shrine from the north, it was sitting on the ground in the proper location.

Looks like Elim already updated the server so people can jump on.

Two more hours of work, then going out to dinner. So I'm looking at about 3.5 hours till I can get on and start harvesting Black Ice or something and building a cold-weather T3 base. Well... gotta explore first.

I want to build near a big human NPC encampment this time. My T1 base in the desert is in a very awesome location in terms of being easily accessible, having good resources around, and all of that. But it falls directly between the pirate ship and the arena and the Set city and it's a pretty long trek to any major camp to do any human harvesting friend making.

I want my next base to have quick access to good thralls.

• MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Alright I pulled the trigger, any good pointers for starting out?

Marauder wrote: »
    Alright I pulled the trigger, any good pointers for starting out?

Once you get to the oasis, be sure to get a bed roll down asap, the trek back from the outskirts can be a real bother. Mitra is probably the most useful of the gods starting out though you can learn all three religions--besides Crom. You get bark from using a pick on trees (needed for curing leather).

Thralls greatly speed up production facilities though you'll need labeled ones to do certain jobs (i.e. cook, blacksmith, etc). Shaleskin eggs are a great source of food and shaleskin young give sizable chunks of exp. Just watch for getting too close to the parents before you can make weapons. Speaking of, probably best to just go with the sword. I don't think armor vs weapon systems have changed up too much and they've been making shields better.

That is all I have off the top of my head. Sorry it's a bit haphazard.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Once you reach the starter river, go as far north as you safely can before building your first cabin. The closer you are to sources of the key Tier 2 materials Iron and Coal when you begin on your starter castle, the happier you will be.

My first complaint post patch is this:

The new no-weapons-while-running thing means that even off-hand items like torches get put away when you're running. That means moving about at night is impossible.

Torches need to be made exempt from the auto-sheath rule.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wonder how practical getting to the new biome is for a new character

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    gah, seriously considering buying this @ the current sale price, is there going to be a decent PA multi population for awhile w/ this new update? single player doesn't really appeal to me.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    My 2nd post-patch complaint:

The "Repair" button has been moved into a sub-menu and repairing all your gear takes way more clicks than before.

Tube wrote: »
    I wonder how practical getting to the new biome is for a new character

I read somewhere it is for mid- to high-level characters, so my lvl 11 guy isn't heading up for 10 levels or so

Permanent bind spots might be broken. Be careful when dying (lol).

On Monday when I played, I built myself a little "halfway house" at the top of the map. I put a bed in it, 4 walls, and a floor. Logged in today and the house was gone and the beds. And apparently because the beds were gone, I had no bind spot, so I respawned in the desert at the beginning of the game. My fault for dying. I jumped off a cliff, underestimating the falling damage.

So I made the long-ass run back to my real base. And I bound there. And I double checked to make sure I was bound there. Then I journeyed north to the new area. And I got killed in a battle with some wildlife. And I respawned in the desert at the beginning of the game, not at my base. So I made the long-ass run back to my base a second time. And I checked my bed. And sure enough, it said I was bound there.

So either beds are bugged in general, or I'm bugged specifically because the bed I started bound to no longer exists. Either way, it's not a fun time to be dying and have to run across literally the entire map from the beginning of the game.

Protip: For those of you who use bows, the left-click attack is now a quickshot and is a fire-and-release. If you want to use the old style shot where you can draw and hold it, that is now on right-click and is considered the heavy attack.

They locked all of the heavy fur armor behind the Ymir religion, which is a really weird choice.