As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Madican wrote: »
    Ah right, 358/2 that was it.

It's kind of annoying how Kingdom Hearts keeps jumping around consoles. I might need to review some plot summaries before KH3 shows up, or see if I can grab 1.5/2.5 for "cheap".

It's 30 bucks on Amazon right now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Ah right, 358/2 that was it.

It's kind of annoying how Kingdom Hearts keeps jumping around consoles. I might need to review some plot summaries before KH3 shows up, or see if I can grab 1.5/2.5 for "cheap".

It's 30 bucks on Amazon right now

Oh it's back in stock on the 16th. Excellent, grabbed that.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    turtleant wrote: »
    People really gotta get over this hang up about numbered KH games.

The handheld games played and looked like crap compared to the main games, and the fact that kh2 used info from CoM to help explain the plot was pretty bs considering not everyone who owned a ps2 also had a gba.

The fact that you'd need to own like 7 different platforms to get the full story up until the PS4 rereleases was fuckin dumb. For those that that wanted more kingdom hearts the way they already enjoyed it was a huge letdown.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I don't know if any of the handheld games besides com were worse than kh1

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    I liked Chain of Memories on GBA. Was my first hint into something more behind the KH plot right before it went screaming off the rails.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    It's actually awesome that com was not just a fun little gaiden but an integral part of the story

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    i'm just glad that they eventually got their shit together and compiled everything.

Now if they could just stick to that going forward.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Enlong wrote: »
    i'm just glad that they eventually got their shit together and compiled everything.

I kind of doubt we'll see another Kingdom Hearts after 3, so you'll probably get your wish.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    -Tal wrote: »
    It's actually awesome that com was not just a fun little gaiden but an integral part of the story

It was a pretty big fake-out for me, since the actual gameplay IS just a very basic and reductionist retread of kh1, and that's definitely how it was marketed. The important bits are all between the gameplay parts.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    Kingdom Hearts 3 is the conclusion of the "Dark Seeker Saga"

no, I don't know what that means either, but I hope it means it actually wraps shit up

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean

no, I don't know what that means either, but I hope it means it actually wraps shit up

Probably referring to Xehanort

But it makes me wonder if there's another "saga" planned after that

• Options

It means Xehanort. He'll finally be done.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I am listening/watching other stuff while I replay KH1

The only thing that makes me pause and focus on it is paying proper respect to Mr. William Zane

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean

The only other one I was able to try was ddd, and I hated the way it controlled.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah for some reason they changed the controls just enough between BBS and DDD to not play nearly as well

Where in BBS you could use L2/R2 to cycle between your ability wheel, DDD you had to use the directional buttons, which usually involved having to stop moving. And while you COULD change that particular mapping to go back to the trigger buttons, it also made locking on L1+R1, which was a pain.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I keep waiting for BBS to grab me and it keeps failing

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I kind of doubt we'll see another Kingdom Hearts after 3, so you'll probably get your wish.

They'll probably keep making them as long as they keep making money (and Nomura feels interested, and even then they could just put someone else in charge of writing).

Remember, Kingdom Hearts χ is still running. And plot-relevant. And pretty awful, from what I've heard.

You don't just kill off a big brand like that without reason.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Not even

The Command Board???

• Options
    Not even

The Command Board???

You know the answer is "of course not".

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

After some thought, I'd say 358/2 Days is worse

The mission system is boring as hell, and the difficulty curve can get pretty brutal.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Counterpoint: χ.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    358 had a lot of potential; it played similar to KH2, but it really dragged

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    By the way has KH2 fixed the "bug" where you'd Drive Form into Anti-Form at the worst times and then proceed to get ultra-murdered depending on the boss?

Madican on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    By the way has KH2 fixed the "bug" where you'd sometimes Drive Form into Anti-Form and then proceed to get ultra-murdered depending on the boss?

No, anti-form still exists, and is actually good

• Options
    By the way has KH2 fixed the "bug" where you'd sometimes Drive Form into Anti-Form and then proceed to get ultra-murdered depending on the boss?

Excepting the fact that you can't heal in in it or easily exit it.

But I'd totally use Anti Form if I could choose it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    By the way has KH2 fixed the "bug" where you'd Drive Form into Anti-Form at the worst times and then proceed to get ultra-murdered depending on the boss?

It's not a bug. There's a whole system behind anti-form. http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Anti_Form#Mechanics

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's not a bug. There's a whole system behind anti-form. http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Anti_Form#Mechanics

That's why I put "bug" in quotation marks. Punishing me in a boss fight and getting me murdered is a dumb mechanic because whoops my limit break just screwed me.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean

Excepting the fact that you can't heal in in it or easily exit it.

But I'd totally use Anti Form if I could choose it.

You can in KH2 final mix, at least.
    The special ability from the weapon you get by beating Roxas during the story gives you a keyblade that will either make you turn into Final Form, or Anti form, whenever you choose Valor, Wisdom or Master Form, until you've actually learned Final Form. Initial usefulness is to let you get Final Form faster, but once you get it, using any of the other forms while the weapon is equipped, is guaranteed to put you into anti-form

Javen on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    i beat the first form of the final boss in kh2 in anti form, it was kind of a great organic moment

also stilts I think the lack of bullshit platforming generally puts everything above kh1 for me

• Options
    Sanctuary
    gosh the last fight in KH1 was just a giant pile of trash huh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    I actually beat the Xaldin data battle by going crazy with anti-form. It's the only one fast enough to dodge his shit while still being able to hit him

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    anti form actually kind of owns for a bunch of fights

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    I once watched a level 1 lingering will no damage run using anti-form(I guess it'd kind of have to be no damage, on account of definitely dying if you ever got hit by anything)

Javen on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    When I played this game 11 years ago Anti-Form was a dumb thing I hated because it got me killed repeatedly at the worst times because I dared to use my Drive Forms regularly.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I had DDD, but then my 3DS' L and R buttons stopped working and I haven't bought a new one/gotten mine repaired yet.

I'd like to play it, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of buying one of the rereleases just for it, or playing half the game again.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    My favorite moment in KH1 or 2 by a pretty wide margin was thinking you were going up against a big Square-ass Square boss near the end of the first game and then Chernabog, who is for all intents and purposes the devil, rises from the mountaintop

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    they made sure that 2 had plenty of Square-ass Square bosses at the end though. Possibly the most of any game.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Wyborn wrote: »
    My favorite moment in KH1 or 2 by a pretty wide margin was thinking you were going up against a big Square-ass Square boss near the end of the first game and then Chernabog, who is for all intents and purposes the devil, rises from the mountaintop

I dunno if they were necessarily going for the head-fake there; they start to play Chernabog's music from the movie as soon as the area loads

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That's fair, though if you hadn't watched Fantasia as many times as I had by that point you might not have recognized Night on Bald Mountain

Anyway it was still cool, I thought Chernabog was the coolest fight in that game in some ways (but it's been a decade and change, of course)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Well I ordered a new Slim and a copy of the HD collection.

Take me, Darkness.