As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I played a melee Templar army today against a list of nothing but those flying primaris guys with the double heavy bolters, a couple forgeworld flyers, and Celestine. Lemme tell you, that was a disheartening game right there. I lost probably 70+ marines just making it into combat, and then they jumped out and kept shooting. It feels like there should be something at least that penalizes running out and acting as normal, even for flyers. The only stuff I really managed to kill was when he got overconfident and charged ragged remnants of squads and got his teeth handed to him.

I guess I could put everything in rhinos or just run tons of 5-man squads, but those don't seem like actual solutions.

Agreed 100%, fly is just too strong atm in this regard.
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Pretty sure I remember a quote in WD about all WE being berserkers but not all berserkers being WE. That said, a WE warband would also have a ton of cults following them and prospective khorne aligned marines who wanted to join or at least witness the world eaters in action. Might be more berserkers than you'd usually expect in a chaos force, but also a large contingent of forces that are dedicated to getting the frothing madmen into battle and allowing them to do their business. Almost as if each Heresey era World Eater was like a little, crazy dreadnought.

The warband owes it's existence to the pure spectacle of the World Eater core it has, it's a warband all about the World Eater berserkers so you might as well call it a World Eater warband, but it wouldn't be 100% Berserkers. Even if all WE marines are berserkers now.

Sounds exactly like what the 1 HQ + 3 Elites formation is for, then, eh? Normal battalion of <Chapter>, then a nice core of cult troops.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Seems like melee-heavy armies/formations should maybe get some kind of moderate anti-flyer bonus (like a psychokinetic ability or grav-weapon based special gear that can temporarily ground them, or some kind of "heroic leap" that lets you melee them in air) to offset being fundamentally weak in that match-up? Like, if you have a mixed army then yeah it should be up to the player to get their ranged stuff to where it can handle the flyers and keep their melee away, but a Templars or World Eaters type army should have some special counter-option to prevent being tabled out of hand.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I don't really want the old 'run you down and wipe out the squad' rule but maybe give melee-centric armies something like the old initiative test to catch people running away.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Seems like melee-heavy armies/formations should maybe get some kind of moderate anti-flyer bonus (like a psychokinetic ability or grav-weapon based special gear that can temporarily ground them, or some kind of "heroic leap" that lets you melee them in air) to offset being fundamentally weak in that match-up? Like, if you have a mixed army then yeah it should be up to the player to get their ranged stuff to where it can handle the flyers and keep their melee away, but a Templars or World Eaters type army should have some special counter-option to prevent being tabled out of hand.

I use Heldrakes.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

I use Heldrakes.

Fair point. Not quite what I meant, as bringing the Chaos flyer's getting into what I'd call 'having a mixed army', but it's a fair point.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    My Khorne army is entirely about melee.

Heldrakes are flying dragons that are best in melee against flying units.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I know what Heldrakes are, my point is they're flying. One expects any flyers that aren't transports, bombers, or recon to be able to fight other flyers. :P

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    How about jump pack guys? Punch those fliers to death

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I know what Heldrakes are, my point is they're flying. One expects any flyers that aren't transports, bombers, or recon to be able to fight other flyers. :P

But they do so in melee.

Which greatly pleases Khorne.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really am not that keen on flyers since I loved playing small army battles back in the day
    Just I have help find where my brother stashed his space wolf army long ago it's in one of three spots but the worst places it can be {a large pile of boxes, a pile of boxes and containers in a closet
    A pile of stuff] Either way it's more effort than it's worth it seems

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I actually kind of want a heldrake since the baleflamer is dropping 30 pts which means though they are still expensive they are not as expensive.

I am basically accepting the sadness of not doing a full noise marine army. At this point I might as well use one of the other legions like alpha legion or night lords or just be renegades for their chapter tactics.

Emp Children is only good if you are facing a melee army as usually folks don't stick around for turn two of combat. Man a 1 or 2 cp stratagem that let me keep someone in combat, think soporhific musk, would been amazing for Emp Children/Slaanesh marines.

Also probably means using cultist which means getting myself some dark vengeance cultist models on the cheap.

So current list of wants:

1)Cultist (40 models)
    2)Predator (2 hopefully, 3 even with kill shot is overkill I think)
    3)Heldrakes
    4)5 more termis
    5)Termi lord

Daemons:
    1)10 seekers
    2)2-3 chariots
    3)~20 bloodletters
    4)Seeker Lord

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    The Space Marine Heroes, Series 1, have gone up for pre-order on Amazon Japan. Looks like they are only selling the 24-ct. box.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Google tells me 18,000 yen is $165 for... 24 random models drawn from a monopose snapfit tactical squad?

That's pretty crazy for Dark Imperium / Dark Vengeance / Battle for Vedros stuff, where you get more than twice as much plastic and know what you're getting.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

But they do so in melee.

Which greatly pleases Khorne.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

I love the fact that heldrakes best bet is to charge flyers.

It conjures the image of some huge demon pterodactyl just swooping down and grabbing a hovering stormtalon and carrying it off.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Google tells me 18,000 yen is $165 for... 24 random models drawn from a monopose snapfit tactical squad?

That's pretty crazy for Dark Imperium / Dark Vengeance / Battle for Vedros stuff, where you get more than twice as much plastic and know what you're getting.

Yep, these are definitely more of a collector's item thing, since there is no indication of them being released outside of Japan. GW is doing a really really big push in Japan right now, it will be interesting to see if it pays off.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Hmm, I might go to Japan in December, I'd swing by a GW store there for the novelty of it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Yep, these are definitely more of a collector's item thing, since there is no indication of them being released outside of Japan. GW is doing a really really big push in Japan right now, it will be interesting to see if it pays off.

I like how there tactic to sell more in Japan is to make space marine gachapon.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Picked up the new primaris dread. Was a little uncertain about it from the internet pics, but it's stunning in person. Got a real big titanfall vibe, so now I'm thinking about a themed army of them and reivers.

What's a good titanfall-ish hq?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If my local GW had a capsule machine with random starter models, assorted collectible promo models, and a tiny chance of an exclusive RARE GOLDEN ONE OF A KIND PRIZE, you better believe I'd have to make some hard choices about my spending habits.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Svenska wrote: »
    Picked up the new primaris dread. Was a little uncertain about it from the internet pics, but it's stunning in person. Got a real big titanfall vibe, so now I'm thinking about a themed army of them and reivers.

Ravenguard captain with jump pack, and combi-weapon of your choice (or that relic bolter). Jump around like an idiot and shoot things.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    If my local GW had a capsule machine with random starter models, assorted collectible promo models, and a tiny chance of an exclusive RARE GOLDEN ONE OF A KIND PRIZE, you better believe I'd have to make some hard choices about my spending habits.

I'm not sure about rarity but GW is making Ultramarines blindboxes. Not sure if they'll be sold outside the JP market.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Svenska wrote: »

It's not "titanfall-ish" but I played mine with a captain and lieutenant and let me tell you having that thing just stand still all game throwing out just so so many shots with all those rerolls was just horrible.

So much so a tournament list I'm toying with for an upcoming local 2 dayer has 3 of them.

Just don't do what I did and glue the main gun, because the dread actually has swapable guns! Like the kit comes with the bits and it's a simple plug connection!

That said, I'm not too worried because the plasma cannon is way worse than the onslaught cannon. Who's idea was it for a "macro" plasma cannon to do a single damage point? (Or two if you super charge!).

Take it with both onslaught cannons and stormbolters. It has so much range that it will never use the heavy flamer (ideally) and the stormbolters beat out the fragstorm launchers unless the enemy is within 18 but more than 12 away. It's so many shots that it's fairly realible to put out a bunch of damage on vehicles, even wounding on 5's most of the time.

The last game I played was against orks and the thing just stood on its deployment spot, gunning down orks in droves, which is a pretty cool image.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was looking at the macro plas and wondered why I would take that over the cooler gat.

Cool idea on the jumppack captain.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Are we gonna get a new thread?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Soon as anyone bothers to make one.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Soon as anyone bothers to make one.

*Tumbleweeds*

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    So tempted to pickup one of those skull packs while I'm in the UK, but my luggage space is rapidly disappearing to the point where I'm not even sure if a Warhammer World visit would be worth it. Still need to decide if I'm going with Alpha Legion or Iron Warriors for my new, horrifically expensive, shooty Chaos 8th edition army.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    So tempted to pickup one of those skull packs while I'm in the UK, but my luggage space is rapidly disappearing to the point where I'm not even sure if a Warhammer World visit would be worth it. Still need to decide if I'm going with Alpha Legion or Iron Warriors for my new, horrifically expensive, shooty Chaos 8th edition army.

Pretty sure you have to go with Iron Warriors if those are your choices.
    I mean, we all know that Alpha Legion are the most loyal of all.

• Options
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »

We'd like to think so, but, our bodies are certainly not ready.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So coming to terms with my noise marines no longer being troops. Means I have to really fill out those slots differently to get an army with some holders in. This one seems fluffy but really I rather run it as Alpha Legion than Emperor's children though everything will have slaanesh as the mark.

Battlescribe is still not updated so I am using my old spreadsheet up dated.

2000 on the dot.
    Battalion-Chaos Daemons
    *HQ*
    Slaanesh Herald
    Slaanesh Herald

*Troops*
    15x Daemonettes x3

This is about 400 points for 45 models that can rip and tear if they get in. But mostly are slightly better than cultist cannon fodder with cheap hqs for 3 cp

Spearhead
    *HQ-Alpha Legion*
    Chaos Lord
    -Lightning Claw
    -Combi-flamer
    -Combat Drugs(+1 str, +1 attack)
    -Mark of Slaanesh

*Heavy Support*
    Defiler
    -Battlecannon
    -Reaper AC
    -Havoc Launcher
    -Mark of Slaanesh

Havoc Squad
    5x Havocs+Aspiring Champ
    1xMissile Launcher
    1xLascannon
    2xHeavy Bolter
    -Mark of Slaanesh

Havoc Squad 2
    5xHavocs+Aspiring Champ
    4x Plasma Guns
    -Mark of Slaanesh

Vanguard
    *HQ-Alpha Legion*
    Chaos Sorc
    -Jump Pack
    -Force Sword
    -Combi-bolter (I had 2 points)

*Elites*
    Terminator Squad
    -3xPower Axe
    -1x Chainfist
    -1x Powerfist
    -4x Combi-plasma
    -1x Reaper AC
    -Mark of Slaanesh

Noise Marines 1
    5xNoise Marines+1x Asp Champ
    -5xSonic Blasters
    -1xBlastmaster

Noise Marines 2
    5xNoise Marines+1x Asp Champ
    -5xSonic Blasters
    -1xBlastmaster

Flyer
    Heldrake
    -Baleflamer
    -Mark of Slaanesh

Fast Attack
    -Raptorx4+1xAsp Champ
    -2x Melta guns
    -Mark of Slaanesh

So some things since I am using Alpha Legion though everything is Slaanesh.

Termis can be infiltrated or deepstruck with the sorc turn 1 for warptime+2 rounds of double tap plasma with prescience. That means all the overcharge I want, none of the exploding termis. Plus a charge into the enemy that turn. Sorc can stay outside 12" for the -1 to be hit if need be.

I get 8 cp with this list. Lots of chances for double shots. The Defiler and Heldrake can use the daemonforge strategy to reroll hits and wounds if I want. The lord sits with the firing squads in the back. That is a lot of shots at 24 inches rerolling 1s. Also the enemy is a -1 to hit.

The daemonettes and the heralds are the fodder in the front. Units are big enough to be scary but not too big. Sadly there is a good chance they won't have obsec with the current writing of the rules for troops and daemons but I think they should. If they get in a line though they are mean. The heralds also have smite so that gives some nasty casting at 18".

This is using a lot of units that already have done well for me this edition just changing numbers and such to try out different things.

I also mentally constructing a night lords deep strike list of warp talons, plasma termis, raptors, and some lords. With the right construction I can probably even get marines down to around 3-4 leadership before causalities. Seems mean.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    YES O YES finally

• Options
    WHAT WHAT WHAT

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    Voro wrote: »

Pretty sure you have to go with Iron Warriors if those are your choices.
    I mean, we all know that Alpha Legion are the most loyal of all.

But I was hoping for a non-grey color scheme!

edit: and apparently emojis cut off all text after them, so there goes my army list. Fuck.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Multi-part
    Plastic
    Gangs

I never dared dream it would be like this

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Goliaths vs. Escher in the boxed set.
    Probably more Sector Mechanicus terrain.
    More detailed backgrounds of the cultures behind the gangs possibly.

Basically a wish-list of things I didn't know I wanted beyond "Necromunda is back!" And yet, here they all are, happening this year!

Edit: scratch Sector Mechanicus; looks like the terrain will be slightly different but still industrial. Based on the bases:
    1oxjl5gbc1ed.jpg

N.B. the geometry of those looks one hell of a lot like the old bulkheads. So….

Also, models:
    0u7dh9cq2ebw.jpg
    bmlmlv3vqwjk.jpg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Only 4 models or?

This discussion has been closed.