As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Rachel S'Jet. Carrier Kapisi is now online. Let's go find our [Homeworld]

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yeah I hadn't picked up HW Remastered so it was a no-brainer at full price. DoK is pretty thin on content so waiting for a sale is not a bad idea at this point, though.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So this is entirely unrelated to DoK but there isn't a general RTS thread and I don't think the SC2 guys would care.

Anyone have interest in Ashes of the Singularity? It's the first new RTS in awhile that I'm rather excited about (for its mp, DoK's sp still looks great to me I am but waiting for a sale). Looks to be alot like Supreme Commander. I picked it up since its 25% off and just went into Beta 1 with it's second faction added. I am hopeful this ends up good, but really it's already looking that way.

***Edit: After playing an hour I decided to request a refund. It's not bad, but I really wasn't digging the gameplay.
    Thoughts:
    The battles are mostly hands off with you really just making units, making them a "meta unit", and then attack moving them around the map. I really like to micro units a lot (heh, big Relic rts fan so go figure right?) so I just was not enjoying the battles as the meta unit design really fights you with microing units. You can't select individual units within a meta unit, and the game is designed around them. I feel like the game doesn't have enough units and buildings for diverse strategies to emerge. Beta is beta but I don't know how much they will add or whatever.

I will say that the game looks fantastic and has great sound effects (except the unit responses, those were weird IMO). The battles are fun to watch, even though I literally feel like a spectator and not a commander because it's so hands off with micro.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So this is entirely unrelated to DoK but there isn't a general RTS thread and I don't think the SC2 guys would care.

Anyone have interest in Ashes of the Singularity? It's the first new RTS in awhile that I'm rather excited about (for its mp, DoK's sp still looks great to me I am but waiting for a sale). Looks to be alot like Supreme Commander. I picked it up since its 25% off and just went into Beta 1 with it's second faction added. I am hopeful this ends up good, but really it's already looking that way.

Further thread derailment:
    It does look pretty cool, and it's on my Steam wishlist. I've learned my lesson though, and will be waiting for it to leave early access and I'll be sure to watch some more Let's Plays before purchases.

A bit more on-topic:
    I'm going through and selling a bunch of my old games, and found my Cataclysm disc. I distinctly remember when I first got it too: I was in high school, and I was at some nerd computer swap meet and saw the game on the shelf. I had no idea they had made another Homeworld game and was so excited! I'm looking forward to replaying it. Hopefully, I can get it working on Win10.

swphreak on
  • Options
    If you endup doing anything special let me know, I wouldn't mind getting Cata working myself. I have the disc around here somewhere.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Anyone have some tips for playing the Gaalsiens? I tried a skirmish with them and an easy AI coalition and I got wiped fast. Strike fighters seem even more over powered here with multiple salvo's instead of just one. My 2nd match I tried harassing them by quickly attacking their salvagers, but my forces died quickly and the match ended up with them overrunning me with units. Since I don't get a healer in the support carrier, seems my units die quick.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Anyone have some tips for playing the Gaalsiens? I tried a skirmish with them and an easy AI coalition and I got wiped fast. Strike fighters seem even more over powered here with multiple salvo's instead of just one. My 2nd match I tried harassing them by quickly attacking their salvagers, but my forces died quickly and the match ended up with them overrunning me with units. Since I don't get a healer in the support carrier, seems my units die quick.

Most Gaalsien units self-repair, but only when out of combat, so you generally want your enemy contacts to be short and bloody; longer fights favor the Coalition and their support crusiers.

If you need mid-fight healing away from your carrier (actually, Gallsien carriers don't repair other units, they only self-repair), you get that from the Gaalsien Baserunner, only instead of being a passive effect like the Coalition support crusier, it's instead an active ability that costs CUs and renders the 'runner immobile when you use it.

Also, like SC2, you typically want to max out the salavagers you have at a gather site, and you typically want to get to armored units ASAP, so you aren't stuck with just LAVs when the AI starts pushing out armor assault craft.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So, after resource starving the AI to extend the game (which is stupidly easy, AI suffers serious "send venerable unit X to location with no backup or concern about hostiles in that location) Got to dink around with Gaalsien units and tech tree, and here's the findings.

-Like I said, virtually all Gaalsien units self repair when they aren't under fire, making hit-and-run tactics the best way to extend the lifespan on your craft. The sole exceptions are aircraft, which are repaired in the carrier, and the Baserunner, which has an active healing ability (that costs CUs) which heals everyone around them for 10 seconds while the baserunner is immobile. Worth noting that the 'runner itself is not healed by this, so if you need in-fight healing for a massive attack, make sure to bring at least two.

-Seems like the MVP for early game Gaalsien when everyone is still using armored units are their Railguns. Heavy Railgun gets an EMP shot that can stun several units at once if close enough, as well as a kind of "deploy" like skill (can't remember the exact name) that give a pretty hefty boost to their sight and range at the cost of speed. Assualt Railguns, the Gaalsien unique combat unit, can be ambushing murder machines against the unprepared, thanks to their speed boost ability.

-Multiple Production Crusiers are a must, especially mid-late game, as it's the only way you can pump out LAVs and armored craft to match the multiple production lines Coalition carriers get as they upgrade. Thankfully, grouping PCs will let you queue units for all the crusiers at once, without having to select each one for what you want to build.

-Gaalsien Cruisers seem to be built mainly for long-ranged combat. Siege Crusiers have a bigger better, EMP skill, but nothing to protect them close range. Honorguard Cruisers are amazing, with AA and a Railgun that can shoot almost twice as far as they can see (spotters for these things are a must) but the RoF of the railgun is sloow, and their ground point-defenses aren't suited for killing anything bigger than LAVs, making close-quarters fighting against armored assault and railguns a losing proposition for them.

So, to summarize, Gaalsien prefer hit-and-run strikes that give their units time to self-repair between assaults, ideally starting at long range for their Railguns and Siege Cruisers to disable from afar, while armored assault and assault railguns close it and shred the enemy.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aircraft seem way over-powered in Skirmish. Each fighter has 3 missiles vs the 1 in single player.

• Options
    Aircraft seem way over-powered in Skirmish. Each fighter has 3 missiles vs the 1 in single player.

On the other hand, the AI seems completely OK with wasting all their resources trying to bomb targets protected by AA.

and it don't take much AA to wipe out an entire fighter wing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/AaLb_t5Mc-0

I'm downloading now, I'll try them out tomorrow night. Not sure how much of a community is left, given the poor state of multiplayer when it launched.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I'm downloading now, I'll try them out tomorrow night. Not sure how much of a community is left, given the poor state of multiplayer when it launched.

Is that multiplayer only or are there new missions?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Is that multiplayer only or are there new missions?

Looks like multiplayer and skirmish only (so no missions).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I think I enjoyed the patch changes more than the DLC. The main change with the Soban is the carrier missile which is now a DOT. I was using it against resource nodes with good effect, but the cruise missile was probably just as effective. Also the fleet command modules are able to be boosted with carrier power though I'm not sure how much more effective it was vs shunting power into weapons. It mentions changes to the battlecruiser, but in a one on one battle between a coalition BC and my soban BC, I was getting hammered, they were half health to my almost dead (on neutral ground). So I'm guessing the soban BC is weaker somehow, not sure what they get in return.

With the patch, gunships are slightly better than useless now. Bombers seem to line up and release correctly which makes them useful. I love the changes to carrier power research. That was one of my initial complaints, most of the time multiplayer skirmish was over before I could make much of a dent with carrier power. Part of the fun of this game is having your carrier react. The baserunner's probe change was also welcome. I haven't played enough skirmishes to see how much the AI improved. I noticed they now were doing some hit and run tactics.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Error - Double Post.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So apparently Gearbox has been tinkering with Homeworld: Remastered.

To the tune of ballistics for combat and formations and tactics once again having an actual effect on gameplay
    Formations wrote:
    Formations are getting a complete rework. Rather than simply fixing the formations that we’re familiar with from the original games, the Homeworld team have taken things several steps further. First, ships are all being treated by the game engine as one unit, so, for instance, Hiigaran strike craft won’t always be locked into the squadrons they’re produced in and instead and can enter larger formations with the same class of ship.
    Ballistics wrote:
    Projectile weapons now have true ballistic behavior! Rather than an RNG’d percent chance to hit being generated at the time of fire and missed rounds blinking out of existence as soon as they reach their target, we’ll get to watch true ballistic behavior from most ships with projectile weaponry.

Among other things.
    It’s not only targeting behavior that’s changed: flight speed and maneuvers have received a complete rework. For example, the more ships are present in a formation, the slower the formation will move. It won’t be dramatically different, but it is noticeable in comparison: Dave showed me a claw formation of five lance fighters flying side-by-side with a claw formation containing ten of the same unit, and after moving approximately 50km there were several ship lengths separating the two groups. Formation size also affects the turn rate of the formation. As more ships are added the further the ships on the trailing edge must travel when a formation rotates; thus reducing the mobility.
    While having strike craft fly slower to maximize damage sounds appealing, with the implementation of the new ballistics system that means they’re also more susceptible to enemy fire: “ships caught going slower during a strafing run are easier to hit”, said Cole.

There's only one way for me to really react to this news and that is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Awesome!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    This looks phenomenal, can't wait till it's released.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Huh maybe I can actually beat HW1 again in remastered using the tactics I preferred instead of my strike craft getting instantly trashcanned by everything.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    http://www.fistsofheaven.com/gearbox-homeworld-remastered-patch/
    Update 6-3-16: the patch will release June 7th, 2016!
    FUCKING TOMORROW! TODAY!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Downloading it now. 5.2GB, so this isn't a simple .ini file edit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Downloading it now. 5.2GB, so this isn't a simple .ini file edit.

Maybe it's a really big .ini file.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I downloaded it this morning but I was asleep and then I had to go to work so I won't get a chance to try it out until tonight. The change log is fucking massive though, so that's promising

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    In related news...
    https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection
    Half off at the moment.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    In related news...
    https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection
    Half off at the moment.

Come ooooooonnnnn, GOG Connect! Get cracking! I want my DRM-free Homeworld experience sooner rather than later. >.<

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Okay, I've been playing with the new patch

And I think they actually made the formations worse

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I don't see how you can say that, they actually work now, and things play alot more like HW1 did IMO. I had some nice corvette walls going with aggressive tactics while my evasive set fighters screened for them and bombers doing attack runs in claw formation. It was great! Ships actually did what I told them and flew in formation correctly. About the only big difference was that the ships broke up automatically into smaller formations, but they still were of the correct type ect. Which I am neutral on. On the one hand having giant frigate walls was hilariously fun, on the other hand the smaller formation groups are more agile and in some ways more effective.

Also I'm not sure if all the ships are using ballistics modelling on their weapons but most sure do because I'm seeing shots behaving much more like HW1 did. I've seen destroyer gun shots hitting non-evading strike craft more easily, whole squadrons of fighters being wiped out in a single aggressive pass of withering fire from my interceptors, ect. It's awesome!!

DarkMecha on
  • Options

I don't see how you can say that, they actually work now, and things play alot more like HW1 did IMO. I had some nice corvette walls going with aggressive tactics while my evasive set fighters screened for them and bombers doing attack runs in claw formation. It was great! Ships actually did what I told them and flew in formation correctly. About the only big difference was that the ships broke up automatically into smaller formations, but they still were of the correct type ect. Which I am neutral on. On the one hand having giant frigate walls was hilariously fun, on the other hand the smaller formation groups are more agile and in some ways more effective.

Also I'm not sure if all the ships are using ballistics modelling on their weapons but most sure do because I'm seeing shots behaving much more like HW1 did. I've seen destroyer gun shots hitting non-evading strike craft more easily, whole squadrons of fighters being wiped out in a single aggressive pass of withering fire from my interceptors, ect. It's awesome!!

You can only have like 10 ships in a formation. I want everything in one formation!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

You can only have like 10 ships in a formation. I want everything in one formation!

Yeah that is a downside I agree, giant frigate walls were awesome. Still its MUCH better than it was IMO.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I seem to be having some trouble keeping my strike groups together, maybe the groups are too big. Basically what I want is for my heavy cruiser/frigate groups is to advance with my multigun corvettes and interceptors providing cover. I set the smaller groups to "guard" the bigger ones using control + G and mouse selecting over the group, but they always seem to run off and get themselves killed.

• Options
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    excite

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Cataclysm remake maybe?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Cataclysm remake maybe?

Hopefully Homeworld 3

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    homeworld is among my favorite games of all time and i can tell gearbox is truly toxic because when their logo popped up i sighed and was sad.

i'll still probably pay attention despite myself because i'm weak but yea.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i think cataclysm is even better than 2 so i'd be ok with a remake honestly

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd like a remake if it weren't just a recreation of all the levels in the HW2 engine, which is probably what we'd get.

That said, the new logo design makes me think HW3 is more likely.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    speaking of randomly dumping levels into the hw2 engine, did they ever fix fighters in hw remastered. every time i played it they were useless since the probability based system in hw2 worked so different from the physical projectile system in 1 that they just got swatted out of the sky if you looked at them funny.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    speaking of randomly dumping levels into the hw2 engine, did they ever fix fighters in hw remastered. every time i played it they were useless since the probability based system in hw2 worked so different from the physical projectile system in 1 that they just got swatted out of the sky if you looked at them funny.

I don't think they fixed it. Don't play the HW 1 races vs the HW 2 races

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I believe they did patch the fighters, at least to be playable in single player.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981