As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I'll be honest, I don't remember Sanctuary at all

oh hey, I looked it up.

I do remember this
    "Mumblemuble sephiroth
    Angels and Fries

My Sanctuary
    My Sanctuary"

song. It's alright

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    who hears night on bald mountain and doesn't instantly think of that part of fantasia???

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    That's assuming I recognize I'm hearing Night on Bald Mountain.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    the very start of it is the most memorable part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Oh I know I'll realize the sound is familiar, but that means nothing to actually identifying the name of said song.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    The first KH game I played was II. I was real confused when the game
    ignored Roxas after the first couple of hours, and how much of a fucking depressing his ending is for that game overall. I was real confused at what I thought was the main character got completely used up and tossed aside for some fucking dope in big shoes.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    who hears night on bald mountain and doesn't instantly think of that part of fantasia???

Kingdom Hearts may be the only place I've heard it

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I get that Ansem and the 4 other Ansems have become like the backbone of the plot

but KH1 would probably have been a better story if the villain was just Riku

He was bored and sold out everyone he ever knew so he could have an adventure

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I get that Ansem and the 4 other Ansems have become like the backbone of the plot

The Sora-Riku-Kairi section in Hollow Bastion is the best bit of KH1 easily, and one of the high points of the series plot.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Riku's middle school reasoning for hating on Sora in KH1 is perfect. "What, he's cool now? I'm the cool one, HOW DARE HE?"

"What, he has different friends now? I'm his only friend, dammit I HATE HIM."

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I kinda like how Ansem's "take a look at this tiny place" speech, which obviously refers to Riku, eventually is revealed to also perfectly describe himself.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Kingdom Hearts may be the only place I've heard it

You should watch Fantasia, it's good

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah the little bit about
    Xehanort also being from the islands was pretty good, and Riku was the same, which is why Ansem targeted him. Sora is the only reason he didn't succeed

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Chain of Memories is Good, Actually.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Finished KH1

I still deeply, deeply love the great atrocity that is Mickey Mouse in this series, where he is made into the ultimate badass wizard-warrior that always has potent wisdom to offer and says it in the voice of Mickey Mouse

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Making Mickey Mouse a fucking badass is like, the weirdest thing

But I still remember watching the secret ending videos to KH1 back when it came out and seeing that shot of Mickey in the rain with his keyblade and thinking "OH SHIT"

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Making Mickey Mouse a fucking badass is like, the weirdest thing

But I still remember watching the secret ending videos to KH1 back when it came out and seeing that shot of Mickey in the rain with his keyblade and thinking "OH SHIT"

On paper it is among the stupidest things in the history of fiction

But, like most things in this series, it works?

Kingdom Hearts has this David Lynch quality where you experience it and go "my brain knows several aspects of this are poorly done, the performances are wooden and the dialogue is a bunch of nonsense as is the story" but it still gets through to you on an emotional level

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    And the emotional beats fuckin' work. Like in KH2 when you think Goofy is dead; there's no way in hell Disney would let one of their main characters die (especially in a kids game!). Hell, I barely used him, but in that moment, I was enraged and I killed all the motherfuckers.

Then he wasn't dead, and WOOO~!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Ehhhhh, I dunno if I'm gonna play Re:Chain of Memories

It's really neat that they remade it and put voice acting in (very convenient they can just reuse a bunch of KH1 assets), but it seems pretty long and the vast majority of it is filler KH1 retreading

I'll watch a cutscene compilation and move on to either 2 or Birth By Sleep, dunno which one I'll do first

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Actually, a fair bit of it is reused KH2 assets, for the in-battle voice clips from Sora.

The one thing that's recycled from KH1 is him shouting "wind!" when he uses the Aero spells, since Aero didn't exist in KH2. The difference between Sora's VA circa KH2 and his VA circa KH1 is hilariously obvious.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Enlong wrote: »
    Actually, a fair bit of it is reused KH2 assets, for the in-battle voice clips from Sora.

The one thing that's recycled from KH1 is him shouting "wind!" when he uses the Aero spells, since Aero didn't exist in KH2. The difference between Sora's VA circa KH2 and his VA circa KH1 is hilariously obvious.

Especially since those were only a few years apart, but the difference is significant, yeah

Which, I haven't heard any of the English VA for 3, but....yeah, it's been awhile for him to be playing a character that's, what, thirteen years old?

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Haley Joel Osment did an AMA a year or two ago and of course someone asked about KH

Specifically, if he has any idea what's going on in it when he records for it

To which he said "oh absolutely not, but those guys are great so I trust they know what they're doing and say the nonsense"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

Especially since those were only a few years apart, but the difference is significant, yeah

Which, I haven't heard any of the English VA for 3, but....yeah, it's been awhile for him to be playing a character that's, what, thirteen years old?

He voiced Sora in KH3D and the final cutscene of AFP not too long ago, if you're interested in what his Sora voice sounds like at the moment.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Javen wrote: »

According to the Kingdom Hearts wiki, Sora was 16 in Dream Drop Distance, so his voice would probably not have changed much between games for that, so 29 year old Osmont should be fine.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    How have I never noticed that Donald is wearing a Samuel L. Jackson hat in these games

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Boy I did not recall that the majority of Sora's story in Chain of Memories is "Sora gets a new girlfriend and gets really annoying about it"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Namine is going to take 2 hours to explain

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I don't remember a lot of KH2 super well, maybe that does more to justify her because boy KH1 and Chain of Memories revolve a lot around how great and awesome Kairi is and she's just barely a character

she certainly looks cooler in KH2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    In KH1, Kairi is super important in the sense that she just happens to be one of the princesses of heart. She's not really any more special than the other princesses, she just has two friends who are good with keyblades.

She becomes a bit more important in CoM and KH2, though through somewhat tangential reasons.

KH3D is where the series decides, "Oh yeah, we should probably do something with Kairi, huh?"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    I thought Axel being so beloved was like a teenage "he looks cool and crack jokes" thing and he wouldn't hold up or just seem stupid

Nah, Axel is super great, he's like the ideal version of the Bad Guy Secret Good Guy Also Possible Still Bad Guy thing

I'm onto the 358 Days movie and that fucker loves ice cream, goddamn (even though those are very clearly popsicles and this has always bothered me)

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I thought Axel being so beloved was like a teenage "he looks cool and crack jokes" thing and he wouldn't hold up or just seem stupid

Nah, Axel is super great, he's like the ideal version of the Bad Guy Secret Good Guy Also Possible Still Bad Guy thing

I'm onto the 358 Days movie and that fucker loves ice cream, goddamn (even though those are very clearly popsicles and this has always bothered me)
    An ice pop is a water-based frozen snack. It is also referred to as a popsicle (Canada, U.S., New Zealand), freezer pop (Ireland, U.S.), ice lolly (United Kingdom, India, Ireland, South Africa), ice block (New Zealand, parts of Australia), icy pole (parts of Australia), ice drop (Philippines), or chihiro (Cayman Islands) A frozzie (kirkby) [1]
    ...Yeah, I think I see why they didn't call it a popsicle.

(This is also a few languages where popsicles are considered ice cream, but I don't know if that applies to Japanese and there was a weird context-free translation error there.)

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    Popsicles are a brand name

Like Pop-Tarts or Jell-O, how nobody says toaster pastries or gelatin

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    It's a bit different, because by all accounts the popsicle brand was literally invented by the guy who first created, or at least commercialized popsicles, whereas pastries and gelatin existed before pop-tarts and jell-o. They're not called that everywhere because the brand doesn't exist everywhere.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I want to hear the new KH Utada song already. I've gotten tired of remixes of the same two songs.

Also, people who only played 1 & 2 are going to be so fucking lost when 3 comes out lol. At the very least Birth By Sleep is gonna be super important, with a little Dream Drop Distance as well.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I want to hear the new KH Utada song already. I've gotten tired of remixes of the same two songs.

Also, people who only played 1 & 2 are going to be so fucking lost when 3 comes out lol. At the very least Birth By Sleep is gonna be super important, with a little Dream Drop Distance as well.

You say this like I wasn't lost during 2 by not playing Chain of Memories

Kingdom Hearts deals in nonsense, it's fine

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Finished the 358/2 Days movie

I'm sure it's real bad as a game, cause how could a Kingdom Hearts game on the regular DS be anything else, but man I found that story surprisingly effective

There's a core tragedy there that really works, and it's nice having one of these games that's not all about huge epic stakes and tells a smaller story (where ultimately the world is at stake but you know what I mean), but for the most part it's about the friendship between three people and how it builds and then fractures
    and the last day being finally seeing that KH1 secret ending in full context as it happened was super rad?

I can't decide if I should start KH2 next (which I have not played in at least 7 or 8 years) or Birth By Sleep (which I've never played and for the most part still know nothing about)

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, 358/2's story is really good.

The gameplay wasn't terrible necessarily, but it wasn't great either and there was SO MUCH PADDING.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah the gameplay is actually one of the best parts; it actually controls mostly like a regular Kingdom Hearts game. It's just that there's so much filler between relevant story beats. I even thought the movie was way too long, they could have shortened it up a lot and still kept in everything even slightly important.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Here's the thing that'll decide the order for me

is the console version of Birth By Sleep an improvement on KH2, gameplay-wise? I kinda wanna just keep moving forward in the gameplay getting better and it could really go either way, since it was a PSP game, but it was also made like 5 years later

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    The BBS gameplay is better than KH2's imo