As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hQf-F3hyU

I haven't watched the whole vid yet but Fenton flat out says how much Scrooge is worth in an original DT episode.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Voltron season 3 was pretty delightful:
    Lots of information given to the viewer in just 7 episodes, but mysteries still abound.

I love that alternate universe Shiro is Sven.
    Lotor's crew is pretty cool. I like the silent, blind Galra lizard hybrid the best.
    I wonder what the long term plan with Shiro is. He's back, but the Black Lion has chosen Keith now and won't work for Shiro.
    Haggar/Minerva seems like the key to everything. She was getting unhinged before the dark lifeforms corrupted her.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I got a huge kick out of the fact that Lotor is a pretty-boy type that seems nice but is still a dangerous asshole and whose lieutenants appear to be an all-female group.

Still a bad guy, but a completely different and enjoyable flavor from his father's "I REQUIRE MORE POWWWWEEEEERRRR!" ruling style. Seems way more into what he's doing, instead of having a bunch of Voltron tunnel-vision.

I got a huge kick out of the fact that Lotor is a pretty-boy type that seems nice but is still a dangerous asshole and whose lieutenants appear to be an all-female group.

Still a bad guy, but a completely different and enjoyable flavor from his father's "I REQUIRE MORE POWWWWEEEEERRRR!" ruling style. Seems way more into what he's doing, instead of having a bunch of Voltron tunnel-vision.

Yeah....
    Lotor seems to have an underlying philosophy behind what he does, which makes him interesting. He (and/or his crew) seem like Grade A antihero material in the mold of Zuko.

I like that as the rebellion slowly builds, there's added political pressure on the heroes. It's not enough to simply kick monsters' asses any more.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    whoops wrong thread.

Anyway I noticed CN has been re-airing the original Teen Titans show on weekday mornings.

BronzeKoopa on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    What time does Ducktales premiere in Saturday? When I check my guide it shows it repeating all day. Are they just marathoning the first episode?

LostNinja on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's an unfortunate typo.

H9f4bVe.png
    Whoops fixed

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    What time does Ducktales premiere in Saturday? When I check my guide it shows it repeating all day. Are they just marathoning the first episode?

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Shit, DuckTails is this Saturday?

Awesome :)

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    OKKO seems pretty cool so far. There's a manic style to the animation that doesn't quite leech over into the actual writing, so you get a lot of visual craziness but some more grounded characters and stories.

I guess Comcast doesn't have an icon/pic for the new Ducktales show, so they just threw up one for Treasure of the Lost Lamp

pk0bt3fv6vqd.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Will they be premiering online in non pirate ways at all?

Bedlam wrote: »
    Will they be premiering online in non pirate ways at all?

There's the Disney XD app. I can't remember if thy requires a cable sub or not. Not sure about the actual website.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I guess Comcast doesn't have an icon/pic for the new Ducktales show, so they just threw up one for Treasure of the Lost Lamp

pk0bt3fv6vqd.jpg

When in doubt, SHABOOOEY!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Vanity Fair has an excellent history of the creation of the DuckTales theme. Worth a read just about the impact of the song globally.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Behind the scenes of Marvel's Spider-Man with Patton Oswalt, who plays Uncle Ben.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjURmgUrGXc

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    That was a great if not amazing start for DuckTales. I hope every episode this season earns its keep.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Marvel's Spider-man looks so bad. :(

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    https://www.themarysue.com/simpsons-mimi-pond/
    Even the biggest Simpsons fans might not be familiar with Mimi Pond’s name, despite the fact that she wrote the very first full-length episode of the show. Being a huge, lifelong fan, I was surprised I didn’t know of her. And then I read the story of what followed her writing that episode, and I very much wasn’t....

So why isn’t her name more well known as a Simpsons writer? Because the world is unfair and everything is garbage.

“I was never invited to be on staff, and I never knew why for the longest time,” she says. “No one ever called me or explained to me or apologized or anything. And it wasn’t until years later that I found out that Sam Simon, who was the showrunner, didn’t want any women around because he was going through a divorce. It had remained a boys’ club for a good long time. I feel like I was just as qualified as anyone else who came along and got hired on the show, and it was just because I was a woman that I was, you know, not allowed entry into that club. I always wind up being the turd in the punch bowl because the show is so beloved and everything, and I’m sorry to burst bubbles but [laughs]. It wasn’t a pleasant experience for me.”

So let’s make sure we’re clear. Pond showed initiative and accepted this offer to write a television episode. She was on time with her work when everyone else was behind schedule. She wrote an episode (filtered through a writers’ room, but still, this was her initial product) that hooked audiences and launched one of the most popular shows of all time.

But she was ignored because her boss was having problems with one woman, a totally different woman, and let that bleed into his work life enough to exclude all women from the writing staff. Through absolutely no fault of her own, and only because of the personal issues one man was going through, she was denied the opportunity to pursue an entire career.

What really makes this story feel so familiar is how quietly it happened. I’d never heard this story told. No one told Pond what happened. For women who experience workplace discrimination, rarely is there an open conversation about why a woman is being discriminated against.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    https://www.themarysue.com/simpsons-mimi-pond/
    Even the biggest Simpsons fans might not be familiar with Mimi Pond’s name, despite the fact that she wrote the very first full-length episode of the show. Being a huge, lifelong fan, I was surprised I didn’t know of her. And then I read the story of what followed her writing that episode, and I very much wasn’t....

So why isn’t her name more well known as a Simpsons writer? Because the world is unfair and everything is garbage.

“I was never invited to be on staff, and I never knew why for the longest time,” she says. “No one ever called me or explained to me or apologized or anything. And it wasn’t until years later that I found out that Sam Simon, who was the showrunner, didn’t want any women around because he was going through a divorce. It had remained a boys’ club for a good long time. I feel like I was just as qualified as anyone else who came along and got hired on the show, and it was just because I was a woman that I was, you know, not allowed entry into that club. I always wind up being the turd in the punch bowl because the show is so beloved and everything, and I’m sorry to burst bubbles but [laughs]. It wasn’t a pleasant experience for me.”

So let’s make sure we’re clear. Pond showed initiative and accepted this offer to write a television episode. She was on time with her work when everyone else was behind schedule. She wrote an episode (filtered through a writers’ room, but still, this was her initial product) that hooked audiences and launched one of the most popular shows of all time.

But she was ignored because her boss was having problems with one woman, a totally different woman, and let that bleed into his work life enough to exclude all women from the writing staff. Through absolutely no fault of her own, and only because of the personal issues one man was going through, she was denied the opportunity to pursue an entire career.

What really makes this story feel so familiar is how quietly it happened. I’d never heard this story told. No one told Pond what happened. For women who experience workplace discrimination, rarely is there an open conversation about why a woman is being discriminated against.

Hey

Patriarchy

Could you maybe not?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the DuckTales premiere:
    Beakley embedding a pen in the wall was not something I was expecting. She's definitely not someone to fuck with.

Ending spoiler:
    It's being made pretty clear that the event that split up Donald and Scrooge involves Donald's sister/the boys' mother. It's also why Donald is their guardian (and it's clear he's basically been their sole parent for most of their lives.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Absalon wrote: »
    That was a great if not amazing start for DuckTales. I hope every episode this season earns its keep.

I was so hyped for it that I thought there was no way it could live up to what I had built up in my head, but it did. It really really did!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Marvel's Spider-man looks so bad. :(

Yeah this is a train wreck. Criminal waste of Pattin Oswalt too.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    References to Spoonerville, Cape Suzette and St. Canard!

Also on Webby's conspiracy board is tons of easter eggs. Including a reference to F.O.W.L.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Please god let this get us a new Darkwing Duck. Please duck god in duck heaven.

edited August 2017
    Viskod wrote: »

The show creator leaked Darkwings new updated design at the Comicon Panel.

https://youtu.be/wiScImwFLDE

MagicPrime on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Viskod wrote: »

I've heard that Darkwing will be appearing in some way or another in this series, but it will not be a big role, as they don't want him...
    A. Taking over the show/episode
    B. Stealing Launchpad from the Duck family.

Matthew on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I need to find someplace where I can watch this thing ASAP.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I will not accept Darkwing Duck unless he's voiced by Jim Cummings.

But damn that was an amazing premiere.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Well, Dras, let me tell you a story, our ancestor's in their great wisdom, managed to create many a wonder in their times. Miracles possibly, one of these miracles was something call the Television set. Search out one of these things.

The only voice in Ducktales that really threw me off at all (despite them all being drastically different) was Donald's. I know his schtick is that he's hard to understand, but it literally took me a few scenes with him in it before my ears adjusted to the point where I started understanding him.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The problem with reviving these characters is the shitacular updated theme songs.

I can't take a different Darkwing Duck theme song. The Ducktales one nearly killed me.

LostNinja wrote: »

The only voice in Ducktales that really threw me off at all (despite them all being drastically different) was Donald's. I know his schtick is that he's hard to understand, but it literally took me a few scenes with him in it before my ears adjusted to the point where I started understanding him.

Tony Anselmo has been Donald's voice for over 30 years so I'm not sure how it threw you off. Unless you're just not used to hearing him talk so much.

I guess since I play so much Kingdom Hearts it didn't bother me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The problem with reviving these characters is the shitacular updated theme songs.

I can't take a different Darkwing Duck theme song. The Ducktales one nearly killed me.

This is a ridiculous overreaction. New DuckTales song is quite fine and good.

edited August 2017
    I really liked the new DuckTales theme. They could have done some horrible horrible things to it. But it stayed very true to its original, while sounding modern.

MagicPrime on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Well, Dras, let me tell you a story, our ancestor's in their great wisdom, managed to create many a wonder in their times. Miracles possibly, one of these miracles was something call the Television set. Search out one of these things.

It might surprise you to know, Matthew, that there are benighted people who inhabit the frozen wasteland known as "outside the US", whose television channels rarely show new shows until perhaps six months later, if they even have access to the necessary exclusive channel in the first place :p.

(Seriously, Disney and Disney XD are premium channels around here, and even if I had them, which I do not, I would bet you ten bucks that the episode probably hasn't been dubbed yet and therefore is not showing).

Steam ID: Right here.
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Disney is getting work done.
    Looking forward to Big Hero 6 as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2dBAMdhh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNwMzQEaYk

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So has the upcoming new from Matt Groening been mentioned? Not much info about it, not even a trailer I can find but it's apparently going to be a Netflix Original. Frankly, I love the Simpsons and Futurama is probably one of my favorite series of all time, so I'm hopeful this will be good, and I'm always happy to see more animation targeted towards my demographic (not-children)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Drascin wrote: »
    Matthew wrote: »

It might surprise you to know, Matthew, that there are benighted people who inhabit the frozen wasteland known as "outside the US", whose television channels rarely show new shows until perhaps six months later, if they even have access to the necessary exclusive channel in the first place :p.

(Seriously, Disney and Disney XD are premium channels around here, and even if I had them, which I do not, I would bet you ten bucks that the episode probably hasn't been dubbed yet and therefore is not showing).

Understood, just giving you a hard time :) I hope you managed to find a place to watch it.

This discussion has been closed.