As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D presence at PAX this year?

dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
I've been hearing rumors through local Adventurers League organizers here in Portland that PAX will not have a D&D presence this year. Has anyone else hear this? Or maybe someone can refute it?

bn4KEyz.png

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    dm_magic wrote: »
    I've been hearing rumors through local Adventurers League organizers here in Portland that PAX will not have a D&D presence this year. Has anyone else hear this? Or maybe someone can refute it?

Well, the annual Acquisitions Inc DnD game will be happening that WotC puts on so they will definitely be at Pax. I don't think they have announced if they will be running official games yet, but I would be surprised if they don't with Tomb releasing soon.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • TashannocTashannoc Registered User regular
    At this point, there's no organized D&D play at PAX West this year. It would take a miracle at this late stage of the game, I think.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Tashannoc wrote: »
    At this point, there's no organized D&D play at PAX West this year. It would take a miracle at this late stage of the game, I think.

Yep, it is surprising that the only presence WotC has this year is the Acquisitions Inc game. With how much they have put into this con in the past, and Tomb coming out, I wonder why they are basically skipping this year.

IhtGIyi.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Yep, it is surprising that the only presence WotC has this year is the Acquisitions Inc game. With how much they have put into this con in the past, and Tomb coming out, I wonder why they are basically skipping this year.

HasCon is the week after PAX. I think that is why they are thin on the ground this year. The Magic:The Gathering presence seems very light too. A shame, but it makes sense.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    I think WOTC will bring the big guns to PAX Unplugged instead.

• XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    HasCon is where their focus is. The problem is HasCon will consist only of the dedicated fan and not the random passerby, so I don't think it will do much for growing their playerbase.

In other words, WotC is being stupid again. Surprise. I do know a lot of employees internally have complained so it might change next year.

On the bright side: Due to wotC effectively abandoning PAX, Cascade Games is back so we will at least have proper MTG events, and since they're not tied so heavily to WotC anymore there will be more focus on other TCGs too.

• dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll just have to wander PAX with my travelling DMs kit and run my own AL games.

bn4KEyz.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Looks like I'll just have to wander PAX with my travelling DMs kit and run my own AL games.

That is what the freeplay tables are for.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • f33rNapalmf33rNapalm Registered User regular

They're also listed as an exhibitor at Pax Unplugged, so could be their con budget went there instead.

f33rNapalm wrote: »

They're also listed as an exhibitor at Pax Unplugged, so could be their con budget went there instead.

Agreed, but since this is right in their own backyard you would think the cost to benefit ratio would entice them to field something.

IhtGIyi.png
    edited August 2017
    f33rNapalm wrote: »

Agreed, but since this is right in their own backyard you would think the cost to benefit ratio would entice them to field something.

And in terms of staffing with WotC empoyees, it's a much cheaper prospect to have local people go to West than fly people across the nation.
    Still, I can see how they weren't able to tell Hasbro they couldn't fully support this inaugural con. And they wanted to announce stuff a week before it.

YoungFrey on
  • LabRatLabRat Registered User regular
    Absolutely insane...does anyone remember last year? The line for Dnd went down the block, we showed up an hour and a half before open and got on a waiting list, going from that to nothing is crazy. Would be great if someone set up some unofficial games via Twitter or on the forums.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I seem to remember a lot of non D&D games running at PAX West last year, but I do not see any sign of this year. This is really strange considering how popular it was.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• yutrioyutrio Registered User new member
    LabRat wrote: »
    Absolutely insane...does anyone remember last year? The line for Dnd went down the block, we showed up an hour and a half before open and got on a waiting list, going from that to nothing is crazy. Would be great if someone set up some unofficial games via Twitter or on the forums.

I think that's what really boggles my mind. The D&D stuff was insanely popular last year and this year it's just... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It'd be cool if the community comes together to fill the void though. I feel like there's going to be a mighty need for D&D even though WoTC appears to be completely hands-off about it.

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    WotC doesn't have as big a presence at PAX this year because Hasbro has its own convention the following weekend.

https://hascon.hasbro.com/

tw787Xr.png

• jonathanmichaelsjonathanmichaels Archduke of Levity Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    WotC doesn't have as big a presence at PAX this year because Hasbro has its own convention the following weekend.

https://hascon.hasbro.com/

Holy crap, they're charging people to play D&D!

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular

Holy crap, they're charging people to play D&D!

Holy cow, makes me grateful for the free tabletop game sessions run at PAX. The amount of add-ons for HasCon is ridiculous!

I'm excited to see the Waffle Crew will be repping at West. Could make for a fun panel. Acquisitions on Sunday will be nice to do again. Fewer things to conflict with for me.

• RoundtopRoundtop Pathfinder Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There will be some d&d, but not in the traditional form.

Come to the Catalyst games area on WSCC 2nd floor and try out Dragonfire. It is a brand new (debut at Gen con next weekend) coop deck building game in the d&d world. They'll be running demos all con long.

http://dragonfirethegame.com

Roundtop on
  • acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing my dice and a small stack of character sheets in the hope I meet wandering adventurers in a tavern or other random plot hook.

paxsignature.png

• yutrioyutrio Registered User new member
    I'll be doing the same in hopes of finding some folks to adventure with over PAX weekend.

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hm... in lieu of any official Adventurer's League stuff, I'd be willing to run some of the low-level introductory content for groups who'd like to spend an hour or so learning to play (or just starting up a new AL-legal character!) - I'm always happy to share my sack of dice, and I'll carry some pre-constructed characters with me for folks to pull from as well.

If this is a thing people are looking for, I could plan to run these a couple of nights after PAX in one of the more comfortable hotel lobbies. Maybe earlier in the day in one of the tabletop areas, depending on scheduling. Thoughts?

vid on
    55ymlH2.png
    edited August 2017
    Double post, my apologies.

vid on
    55ymlH2.png
    I also plan on making myself available to DM some learn-to-plays in the evenings. I'll be bringing 05-01 Treasure of the Broken Hoard, which is five 1-hour adventures.

bn4KEyz.png
  • LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    @dm_magic if you and fellow DMs come up with any sort of set time you'll be available, or a Twitter hashtag to use to contact you, let me know, and I'll put the info in my Consolidated Tabletop at West thread.

I also plan on making myself available to DM some learn-to-plays in the evenings. I'll be bringing 05-01 Treasure of the Broken Hoard, which is five 1-hour adventures.

Hah, I was also planning to bring 05-01. Perhaps I'll select a different set, for variety.

55ymlH2.png
  • TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    I do find it funny that with PA doing so much with DnD, they are not having any place to play. You would think PA would want something even if WOTC didn't push it

The limited (unofficial) info I heard - I am not Enforcing this PAX - was that they tried, couldn't come to terms, and then PA sold the space to other groups once things fell through. I'm sure an organized presence will return at future West shows, and will definitely be there at PAX Unplugged.

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty bummed about the lack of D&D, and was also hoping Paizo would bring Starfinder, but alas... no Paizo either. Is there any consensus on AL games being run in the tabletop freeplay area? What about other RPGs?

• TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    HeyJoe wrote: »
    I'm pretty bummed about the lack of D&D, and was also hoping Paizo would bring Starfinder, but alas... no Paizo either. Is there any consensus on AL games being run in the tabletop freeplay area? What about other RPGs?

I was hoping for Starfinder too, maybe the "finder" public play groups had a similar problem, could not pay for space...

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused, so there won't be a D&D presence, will there still be a pathfinder 1hr adventures?

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2017
    hml151 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused, so there won't be a D&D presence, will there still be a pathfinder 1hr adventures?

Sadly, no. Paizo also will not have an official presence.

But people who want to run sessions, or if you learn about GMs who will be running sessions (of D&D, Pathfinder, Starfinder, or anything else), you can post info here on these forums to say which room, what time, etc. to help get people together to play. Best bet of rooms that will be available to use are likely WSCC Rooms 308, 309 and 310 - which are all designated as Tabletop Freeplay space.

Lackey on
    Ah sad, I wasn't sure because it is pathfinder 1hr sessions that I spend most my evenings with them, sad. Will there be a magic presence? I will definitely have to hunt out a group to play with in the tabletop freeplay area. Thanks

School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ah sad, I wasn't sure because it is pathfinder 1hr sessions that I spend most my evenings with them, sad. Will there be a magic presence? I will definitely have to hunt out a group to play with in the tabletop freeplay area. Thanks

There will be Magic, run by Cascade Games - I have a link to their Magic schedule in my Everything Tabletop thread:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/213408/everything-board-game-tabletop-rpg-at-and-around-pax-west-2017-a-consolidated-list

There is also an MTG panel run by some WoTC folks (not Maro) on Saturday.
    Magic: The Gathering has built many fantastic worlds. Join our panel of experts as they pull back the curtain on the upcoming world of Ixalan! You may even see a preview card or two!!

Panelists Include: Jeremy Jarvis [Franchise Creative Director, Wizards of the Coast], Cynthia Shepard [Senior Art Director, Wizards of the Coast], James Wyatt [Senior Game Designer, Wizards of the Coast], Tyler Jacobson [Artist, Wizards of the Coast]

thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Very disappointing RPG lineup, or lack thereof.

ddt58 wrote: »
    Very disappointing RPG lineup, or lack thereof.

I highly recommend the Indie RPG/Story Games on Demand folks on WSCC Level 3. GM's at the ready to take you through new, quirky, oddball systems. There's also the Classic RPG room at the Olive 8 -- hundreds of sourcebooks and modules of systems from the early 70s to 2000, also with GM's at the ready. This would include original AD&D.

It's just D&D 5E Adventurer's League, Pathfinder and Starfinder that won't have an official presence.

• acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Is anyone going to the pre-pax board game night that is willing to DM? It has been so long since I've played as a PC since I a always my groups defacto DM.

paxsignature.png

acydlord wrote: »
    Is anyone going to the pre-pax board game night that is willing to DM? It has been so long since I've played as a PC since I a always my groups defacto DM.

I'm planning to run a few short Adventurer's League games during board game night, but I haven't nailed down the exact times just yet.

They'll be set for Level 1-2 characters, and I'll have a whole stack of pre-gens for anyone who wants to try a random new character or just doesn't have one.

55ymlH2.png
    acydlord wrote: »

I will be there running D&D! Some AL, some non-AL. :)

bn4KEyz.png