As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Re: Agricola
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't think my wife cares much for the game, and I can understand that. It's a worker placement, but feels like an engine builder when it comes to food and feels like the game ends just when you're getting set. She wishes there were more rounds.

For what it's worth, as much as I like Agricola, my girlfriend doesn't for similar reasons. We haven't played Caverna yet, but we both like A Feast for Odin a whole lot more - the puzzle elements add an interesting mechanic and overall it just feels a lot less ... claustrophobic.

If you don't already own Caverna and your usual group comes in somewhere south of 5-7 people, you might want to hold off on buying it, especially since there's a 2p Caverna duel game coming up. Really the only lure of Caverna over Odin for me at this point is the number of people it can take.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Played the first mission of a First Martians campaign tonight. We played a standalone mission last week and took a while to iron out the rules, but that game reaaaally needs a revised rulebook or mission specific FAQs. When it works though it's really enjoyable, relatively simple options but lots of discussion about the best way to optimise every turn.

Has anyone played Saltlands? A friend is selling it unplayed and I love the art, but not heard from anyone who has actually played it.

Have you done any more First Martians? Looking at it as an alternative to Terraforming Mars. I know it's co-op against vs., but I need to know more about the former. The pictures look gorgeous.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I think Eclipse is straight up a bad game. It's built to encourage non-interaction, and to make it exceptionally difficult to force interaction, and so the victory almost always seems to boil down to simple tile draws. We played it a dozen times and the person with the best tile draws almost always won. It might have been literally every time. If an isolationist species got good tiles and was able to close themselves off, it was essentially pointless. It's a bad engine builder with a thin veneer of theme.

I think TI is far, far too long and bloated, but it had more worthwhile decision making, at least. Though I still feel that BOTH are games that are, in many plays, basically fake. They make you feel like you're making relevant decisions but the real machinery that determines victory is either random or unknowable and largely unguessable hidden information.

Evil Multifarious on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played a few rounds of Werewords. Fun! It was even lighter than One Night Ultimate Werewolf. The app didn't work terribly well on my phone, so I need to file a bug report.

We played simple roles:

Mayor: Knows the secret word, answers yes/no questions, has some maybe tokens
    Seer: Knows the secret word - if village guesses the word, the werewolf wins if they guess who the seer is.
    Werewolf: Knows the secret word - Tries to lead people away from guessing the word
    Villager: Knows nothing. If they don't guess the word, they have one last choice to vote for the werewolf.

There's a few other roles but I didn't play with them, as we only had 4 players.

There is one hidden role in the center. This is viewed by the mayor, and becomes the secret role. If the mayor is the seer, the words become easier. If the mayor is a werewolf, the mayor can lie to answer questions, and the overall words are harder.

It won't replace Codenames or Werewolf or Mafia, but it's a cool little twist!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Combat and sprawl weren't my issues with TI3. It was mostly the race imbalance and the rest of a game being decided on your secret objectives and the map. It got to the point where, if you knew everyone's secret objective, you could take a look at the map and races to predict the winner (or at least the top 2 finishers) right at setup with 90% accuracy. Get impossible objectives (I have to hold all wormholes in a game with the wormhole nexus and the Ghosts of Creuss? Ha!)? You were effectively eliminated right from the start of an 8 hour game.

Other niggling stuff like the tech tree having most all the tech worth getting in the first tier. Or 90% of the political proposals being crap that you'd rather just burn for a trade good (the designers seemed to always believe that influence was just as useful as resources).

To be fair this wormhole nexus and extra gates from the nexus don't actually count for the wormhole secret objective. It's just the first two A and B systems.

Although being able to draw fresh objectives is a much better mechanic and from the three examples given they look quite promising

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man I really like Inis but every time I bring it out at a game night it just falls completely flat. It's the most polarizing game I own by a large margin.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man I really like Inis but every time I bring it out at a game night it just falls completely flat. It's the most polarizing game I own by a large margin.

That's surprising for me, it's been a smash hit every time I've brought it out so far. What are people not liking about it?

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm pretty stunned that people here think TI has more player interaction than Eclipse. When I played eclipse there was a lot of interaction, though of course mostly combat. TI had very little, because though they made a big deal about how you can negotiate over things, there's very little to negotiate over. Because of how the victory points are doled out, there's not a lot of reason to care a lot about the little things you can haggle over. Or, very little reason for people to give up something.

Eclipse had more engine building that you do on your own, but I feel like Eclipse also had an actual game to play, more so than TI did.

sig.gif
    edited August 2017
    Now, admittedly, I usually end up as the Emirates of Hacan either through choice or by luck, but you bet I am aggressively currying favor and jockeying for position via trade goods and trade deals every single turn of the game in TI.

I've never played a game of Eclipse that wasn't everyone burrowing away from one another and building resource engines and defensive walls and so on and combat only ever occurs on the very last turn of the game. Especially if you are the race that can do two tiles at once and can burrow away from people and double speed. Being able to build away, and not being forced to build towards people, is what ruins Eclipse for me.

Inquisitor on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I love Inis but the better we get at it the slower it seems to go, opposite of blood rage, which has morphed into a light game for us.

I only played one game of Eclipse and it was super ruined by a unique engine deployed to fighters. The guy that got it was the senior partner in a powerful alliance and the junior partner was losing interest in the game. Whatever cool parts of Eclipse might make you suffer the long play time weren't visible that game

sig.gif
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I haven't had a game of Eclipse yet that was devoid of player interaction. It's very much in line with TI- the enjoyment is largely derived from who you're playing with.

I think Eclipse is a much more streamlined and elegant game, and the shorter time span and learning curve makes it way more accessible. I also really like the ship building stuff!

But TI is the big sprawling ridiculous space opera game and I will always love it for that, I just really wish it wasn't quite so cumbersome and shitty in places. Which is why I am super excited for TI4! If they can streamline a bunch of it, make some parts more interesting and also inject some new mechanics in I'll be very keen to try it out.

At the end of the day I think TI and Eclipse are sort of in a weird spot where they're in a similar area, but not really comparable as they serve different sorts of board game purposes. I'd probably prefer to compare TI to other really big, lengthy, wargames even if they're not sci-fi.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I would think eclipse is more competing with scythe or something than TI

sig.gif
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I would think eclipse is more competing with scythe or something than TI

yeah, or like Archipelago or suchlike. Anything that is somewhat complex, and of longer game length than most board games.

TI is just on entirely different level to things that aren't other really massive war games.

Partially cooperative games are impossible for my group. The natives rise up in archipelago every time

sig.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hey 7th Continent is pretty farking cool

there's some hidden action icons as well that the rulebook doesn't tell you about
    kfvogcg6ekxr.jpg

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

there's some hidden action icons as well that the rulebook doesn't tell you about
    kfvogcg6ekxr.jpg

So it's based on ARK?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

kfvogcg6ekxr.jpg

You have yours?

Jelly. Mine is still 'En cours d'acheminement.'

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

kfvogcg6ekxr.jpg

You have yours?

yeah well i mean

Magic Pink > Jam Warrior is a mathematical law.

edited August 2017
    This game The Climbers that's getting rereleased at Gencon looks real good. It's the only game that's really jumped out as a must have for me so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_i8HVtebE

Technically I guess I would say codenames duet is a must have for us also but that's way more of a known quantity so harder to get real worked up about it I guess

Ah_Pook on
    Inquisitor wrote: »

That's surprising for me, it's been a smash hit every time I've brought it out so far. What are people not liking about it?

One guy last night called it Munchkin with a board.

I can sort of see it, in that win shots get cancelled by hidden information and make the next win shot more likely to succeed, but unlike munchkin you can sit on a win shot and fortify your position so next turn you've got an even better one

That comment is perceptive enough and bitter enough that the guy's probably not going to change his mind though

sig.gif
    edited August 2017
    We've had like two great games of Inis, ten good ones, and a couple real bad ones

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif

How so? I guess that just doesn't really gel with my own personal play experience. Inis is very snappy and fun, Munchkin never ends and drags on forever.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Pandemic: Legacy late October report
    Things went well, until they did not go well. We managed to plunk down three vaccine stations, thanks to switching to a new combo of the facilities expert and the Immunologist. We managed to vaccinate 5 faded cities. We even managed to destroy a military base. We cured red and eradicated blue.

So how did we fail? The remaining faded cities went out of control VERY quickly and we were overrun with chain outbreaks before we could stop them. So many victories, but still ending in defeat. The pisser is that we didn't get the October bonus, whatever that might have been. Thankfully, we chose to make two vaccine clinics permanent and we get to keep our vaccinated cities. Whatever November brings, I hope some of that helps.

How so? I guess that just doesn't really gel with my own personal play experience. Inis is very snappy and fun, Munchkin never ends and drags on forever.

If people lean heavily into passing and think about their turns it can become less snappy. At least one of our two games that left a sour taste in people's mouths seemed to go on forever.

sig.gif
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Why did I think it was good idea to listen to the SUSD podcast while driving cross country?! After twelve hours I have chrome tabs open for Star Wars Rebellion, Armada (Corvettes and fighters only), and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

If people lean heavily into passing and think about their turns it can become less snappy. At least one of our two games that left a sour taste in people's mouths seemed to go on forever.

Also, bashing someone down who is about to win is easy to see. It's harder to see how to keep someone from winning while also setting yourself up to win either immediately or in the near future. Doing the former without the latter can definitely make the game frustrating.

Like I said, I quite like Inis. But I'm done bringing it out to game nights etc because more people end up disliking their first play than liking their first play in my experience.

edited August 2017
    Interesting, usually after a handful of turns in we have multiple people shooting out for 2-3 victory conditions in a single turn, and when you throw in the Brenn wins on ties, well, essentially someone is winning that turn, and it's up to you to make sure that person is you. As the game goes on it just becomes easier and easier to hit multiple conditions. The board just gets bigger, more densely packed with objectives, and people start amassing deeds to be able to rapidly swap goals or achieve multiple goals more easily.

Our group passes and thinks about our turns. I mean, it's a bit rude to imply that my play group apparently doesn't think about things? But, passing is the quickest turn of all, after all, so that hardly slows down gameplay. And if people pass too aggressively you can get some hilarious turns where you get 1-2 free actions to everyone else's 0 or 1.

Inquisitor on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Passing is a huge component of Inis, as is card knowledge for the basic action cards.

"It's Munchkin with a board" is ridiculous and sounds like someone has an incorrect impression of the number of action cards available to draft.

It can definitely go long if people can suppress the leader, but there can only be so many turns where everyone is poised for a stab at victory before someone does something clever to pull out the win.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Passing is a huge component of Inis, as is card knowledge for the basic action cards.

"It's Munchkin with a board" is ridiculous and sounds like someone has an incorrect impression of the number of action cards available to draft.

It can definitely go long if people can suppress the leader, but there can only be so many turns where everyone is poised for a stab at victory before someone does something clever to pull out the win.

Deeds should be everywhere after a few rounds.
    Ussually being chief over 6 other clans is the hardest.

steam_sig.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Went to the game store yesterday intending to buy A Feast for Odin. They didn't have copies, sadly, so I left with Vast instead. Now to see if I can get anyone to play it at game night...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    I have Inis but haven't gotten it to table yet. Reading the rules a few times, I very quickly came to the conclusion that the only way to win is to set yourself up for two victory conditions at the same time. Otherwise, you're just gambling that the other players can't stop your one plan.

edited August 2017
    It's all very dependent on the situation, nurse your card advantage and you sometimes can snag a single objective unexpectedly late in a turn and basically steal a win.

A much more solid game plan is having multiple deed tokens, being the Brenn and threatening multiple win conditions simultaneously. Winning becomes inevitable as the game goes on.

Inquisitor on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll EVER release a remake of Age of Renaissance.
    That game deserves a second chance, even if they have to change some of its mechanics completely.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll EVER release a remake of Age of Renaissance.
    That game deserves a second chance, even if they have to change some of its mechanics completely.

It is extremely unlikely that this will happen, at least not from the original game designers.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Played through February and March of Pandemic Legacy tonight.

It went a lot better.

End of March stuff
    We've managed to eradicate red (Glitter!) in the second half of January and February, and then both blue and red (Mushy Peas) in March. Me being the Quarantine Officer (Tina) definitely saved our bacon a couple times. Red now has the end of game upgrades 1-3, and blue has 1-2.

We won both February and March on our first try.

It seems like the metaplot so far is a creeping militarisation of the CDC and I am afraid that eventually someone will find out the cure for the CoDA virus is bullets.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    February spoilers
    Blue was eradicated twice? Or just March? I ask because you have two upgrades on it, but iirc you can only give it one per month you eradicate it.

Did you mention which is CoDA? Black or yellow?

Good to see things went better for you.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Given that I already have a tile laying game in Alhambra, and a drafting game in 7 Wonders, and my brother in law has Citadels, which one would you suggest I get next: Between Two Cities + its Capitals expansion, or Mission: Red Planet? They're both light-medium games with a large player count, but different "genres". But I'm unsure of buying them since I already have somewhat similar games. I'd totally play them if they're available, mind, but personally owning them? I'm a bit more... hesitant.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    February spoilers
    Blue was eradicated twice? Or just March? I ask because you have two upgrades on it, but iirc you can only give it one per month you eradicate it.

Did you mention which is CoDA? Black or yellow?

Good to see things went better for you.
    You get two end-of-game upgrades per session. They can both be virus mutations if you eradicate something on that play.
    If you've eradicated a disease during this game, you may give that disease a positive mutation to make it easier to find a cure in future games. Put the positive mutation sticker on the disease tracking area of the board.

The rule says "a" but that means "one mutation per upgrade". You can choose the same upgrade twice. Stacking up mutations is incredibly handy and pretty much always the option my group went with if we qualified for it.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

kfvogcg6ekxr.jpg

You have yours?

yeah well i mean

Magic Pink > Jam Warrior is a mathematical law.

Oh you.

Livré!

MhCw7nZ.gif