As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I'd save BBS for afterwards since you've already played 2.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I think at this point I have to buy-in completely and get 2.8 and play Dream Drop Distance and the other thing too

There is another thing on there, right? Called like Fragmentary Passage or some shit and it's actually brand new gameplay?

6F32U1X.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    BBS informs 2 in a way that I think drastically improves the overall experience

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I've never been a huge fan of deckbuilding in KH games, but BBS definitely does command decks the best out of the series.

I honestly think KH3D has my favorite battle system. I really just need to buy 2.8 to finally play it with a proper controller. That final boss is a hell of a difficulty spike, especially on a handheld.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think at this point I have to buy-in completely and get 2.8 and play Dream Drop Distance and the other thing too

There is another thing on there, right? Called like Fragmentary Passage or some shit and it's actually brand new gameplay?

Fragmentary Passage is brand spanking new content for the first time in a LONG TIME and it plays VERY well.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    What about khux

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    What about khux

Do you mean Kingdom Hearts Unchained X [chi] or Kingdom Hearts Union X [cross]?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Fragmentary Passage is brand spanking new content for the first time in a LONG TIME and it plays VERY well.

It's just about 2 hours long, though.

It's kind of like Kingdom Hearts Ground Zeroes to KHIII's Phantom Pain.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

First time in a long time? Eh, KH3D was in 2012, it's not like it's been forever ago.

Fragmentary Passage also squanders the possibility of having an intriguing plot, so that was a bummer.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    5 years is pretty long

BahamutZERO.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    What other KH games have the command deck stuff? Because I've kinda been ignoring it in BBS

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    5 years is pretty long

Still better than about 8 and a half between Persona 4 and 5.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    5 years is pretty long

Still better than about 8 and a half between Persona 4 and 5.

It was 8 years for how many hours of P5 content?

Vs. Five years for the two hours for Fragmentary Passage.

I'm pretty unhappy with Nomura. His messing around with Versus XIII and being unable to create anything resembling a shippable concept led to such a long delay with KH

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    What other KH games have the command deck stuff? Because I've kinda been ignoring it in BBS

re:coded and Dream Drop Distance both use variants on BBS's command deck.

I'd say re:coded does it best, and DDD made a mistake by tying a fair number of powerful commands to level-grinding Dream Eaters.

Despite being a sequel to BBS, A Fragmentary Passage doesn't use the command deck; it goes with a modified version of KHII's combat, with some other mechanics from BBS, like Command Styles, Finishers, and Shotlocks.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    By all accounts a fragmentary passage is a strong indicator of what kh3 gameplay will be like

Javen wrote: »
    By all accounts a fragmentary passage is a strong indicator of what kh3 gameplay will be like

And it looks very good to me. It has the best parts of the 2 best combat systems in the series, and fixes some of the bigger problems, like command styles auto-activating.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Fragmentary passage is basically taking all the best parts of the last several games combat engines. It's fantastic.

Now they just gotta bring back equipment from KH1 and 2 for 3. The passive abilities from BBS and DDD never were my cup of tea.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Sanctuary
    I'm like half an hour into KH2

This feels so much better than the first game already, it's insane

so many good interface and control improvements

6F32U1X.png
    Sanctuary
    At one point the legendary Christopher Lee was paid to say the words "sea salt ice cream"

6F32U1X.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    KH2 is one of the best action RPGs ever made IMO

edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    KH2 is obsessed with the "Mystery box" concept to its massive detriment. Also imo it has some of the worst abuse of the Disney worlds in the series. Go to Mulan world with its Chinese Army camp location (Chinese Army soldiers not included). Then head over to the Mongol camp (Mongol characters not included). Then head back to the shockingly destroyed Chinese Army camp (shocking destruction not included). Finally, go through the parade (parade not included) to save the Emperor (Emperor not included) from the one bad guy that is there. They overreacted to the criticism that KH1 worlds were confusingly or poorly laid out by making many of the KH2 worlds a series of empty corridors, without so much as a turn or a staircase to walk up. The Sega Genesis Lion King game has an INCREDIBLY more lived in and interesting Pridelands than the one in KH. Even beautifully realized areas like Timeless River have all the life of a tiny sound stage.

Thankfully, I think they learned this lesson in time to save 3. BBS, 3D, and Fragmentary Passage all have actual levels again.

shoeboxjeddy on
    Sanctuary
    gosh Roxas is just a way more compelling protagonist than Sora

but anybody is, so that's not much

6F32U1X.png
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    for me sora becomes compelling because he's the product of so much hard work from outside forces to set him up as The Solution

WeedLordVegeta on
    Sanctuary
    At one point the legendary Christopher Lee was paid to say the words "sea salt ice cream"

https://youtu.be/PLV-Vpy1gqQ

Sanctuary
    Put me firmly on team "the opening of KH2 is Good, Actually," I think it works on every level you can approach it from

If you haven't played KH2 before and regardless of if you have or haven't played Chain of Memories, it's a slowly unfolding mystery

If you have played it before and/or if you've played 358 Days, it's a much richer exploration of that overall tragic situation

Roxas only wants to have a life and nobody, not the villains and not even the heroes, will let him do anything other than be used up to serve his purpose

I am pretty much always down for when Kingdom Hearts slows down and actually builds some characters

6F32U1X.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah the opening to KH2 actually gets better with time.

We didn't have 358/2 when KH2 came out, so no one knew or had any reason to care who Roxas was. Then we got 358 and BBS and suddenly it matters a lot.

Sanctuary
    I wanna fight in KH

And there's a huge lack of fighting in that intro

And while I think the dramatic slow-down that occurs when you finish a battle is cool, in an area of the game where you're not fighting much and the battles you finally get to last for like ten seconds, that shit became super annoying really fast

I couldn't want to get control of Sora back, mainly because I knew the game would be getting back to "normal" more or less

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    When I get my replacement PS4 I really am tempted to just skip KH1 and start with BBS (since I've wanted to play that for 7 years but couldn't since the PSP was real bad for action games).

Is it hard to go from the refined gameplay of BBS to KH2's?

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nah. BBS is more different than outright better than KH2's game play.

Mainly it's trying to go back to KH1 after playing the more recent games that's rough.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Sanctuary
    Another thing I'll say

the Heartless are kinda boring enemies, they use the same like 4 designs over and over (and are returning in KH3!)

the Nobodies are way more interesting

they look just so weird and animate super well, they slither around like snakes and stretch and are just generally creepy

6F32U1X.png
    Aren't there more Heartless designs than Nobody designs? Minus Organization members, I think there are 12 of them?

Which doesn't speak to relative quality, of course.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    What about khux

Do you mean Kingdom Hearts Unchained X [chi] or Kingdom Hearts Union X [cross]?

Huk's nobody, actually

liEt3nH.png
    Sanctuary
    I called an audible and switched to Birth By Sleep, I wanted to see the rest of Roxas' story after 358 Days and I'll go back after BBS

and wouldn't you know it, Roxas is here too

sure they call him something else, but they are just straight-up reusing him

6F32U1X.png
    Sanctuary
    It just cut from a Teens Having A Good Time scene to Mickey Mouse surfing on a big book

This game is ALRIGHT

Does it matter what order I play the characters in?

Aqua's the one I hear about the most, it feels like I should play her last

6F32U1X.png
    Sanctuary
    It just cut from a Teens Having A Good Time scene to Mickey Mouse surfing on a big book

This game is ALRIGHT

Does it matter what order I play the characters in?

Aqua's the one I hear about the most, it feels like I should play her last

Terra>Ventus>Aqua is the generally recommended path

edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Terra is the slow plodding character so definitely get him out of the way first so you don't have to go from Ven's quickness or Aqua's acrobatics/magic to heavy dumbass.

Also Terra sucks in comparison to both.

Mx. Quill on
    Simple & Clean
    I did Ventus, then Terra, then Aqua. Ventus' playthrough is just like playing with Sora, he's a helpful, cheerful doofus. Terra is an incredible moron, kind of like playing through KH1 as Riku would have been. Aqua is unfortunately written to be very boring until the very end of the game where suddenly she's interesting and admirable.

Sanctuary
    What in the hell is this Mario Party-ass thing tucked away in here

6F32U1X.png
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    What in the hell is this Mario Party-ass thing tucked away in here

Easily the best way to level abilities, is what it is.

Simple & Clean
    There are even exclusive abilities tucked in there, which is infuriating if you planned to skip it...