As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Sniperclips

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Sniperclips

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SolaceInRageSolaceInRage Registered User regular
    Do 150 Hail Gabens, lend your assistance to end of stream raids to send followers to channels of low traffic you have found and like on twitch, and keep sacred the holy trinity of tank, healer and dps, and you shall be absolved of your transgressions my child.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I didn't have anything to confess as a kid so I had to make something up

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    If it is anything like screen peeking in the days of splitscreen gaming like OG Mario Kart or Goldeneye, then yes, it is a grave sin.

But prohibitions against it were effectively unenforceable short of getting a second system/television.

Sounds like streamers need to have some of transmission delay set up like news stations do.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There was a cool shooter based on screen peeking: all players were invisible, so you HAD to look at other screens to know where to shoot.

YL9WnCY.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    If it is anything like screen peeking in the days of splitscreen gaming like OG Mario Kart or Goldeneye, then yes, it is a grave sin.

But prohibitions against it were effectively unenforceable short of getting a second system/television.

Sounds like streamers need to have some of transmission delay set up like news stations do.

You can set up delays while streaming; some do, some don't. Interacting with chat is fairly important for growing and keeping your fanbase for most streamers.

• bam13302bam13302 Registered User new member
    I feel like this comic was missing a line at the end

Gabe- Against cheating?

Pastor- No, videogames.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    There was a cool shooter based on screen peeking: all players were invisible, so you HAD to look at other screens to know where to shoot.

That game is Screencheat.

• d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    @BAM

If there were an SMBC style bonus panel, that is what i'd imagine it to be.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i think in the MTGO community this is referred to as "ghosting"

but honestly the word "ghost" has way too many definitions as it is

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I like it when Penny Arcade juxtaposes the world of video games against the "real world". Granted, that difference is much smaller nowadays, but its still amusing when you realize how much of our interests must seem like absolute nonsense to the uninvolved.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Stream-sniping is basically 21st century screen-peaking on a larger scale and it is just as dirty and nefarious.

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    @Sadgasm, we had to explain to our boss what Twitch was today because we were going to be livestreaming stuff we didn't want anybody to have access to after the stream and someone was like "What about screensharing stuff like Twitch?" and she was just like... dumbfounded by it all.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    We do know Jesus is against teamkilling.
    215524437_j7JS4-2100x20000.jpg
    and being a dick, so...

• KaianKaian Registered User new member
    Fifteen years eighteen days? And he counted?

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I feel very strongly that you are all guilty of something. And whatever the maximum penalty for that is, you should get it.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    There's a special and ironic layer of hell for stream snipers.
    Like a regular Dante's Inferno layer of hell type of deal.

Apparently there is a decent (in size) portion of the internet that are not opposed to stream sniping. And I definitely saw a thread where the pro/cons of the recent PUBG banning included "streamer wasn't adequately hiding their information" as a defense of the sniper.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

It's a level of hell were you can see the exit, but every time you get close Satan headshots you

• FlareKnightFlareKnight Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, not sure I'm ready to condemn anyone to digital hell for this one.

Comedy is pretty good though. Good match as well with the Pokemon issue. "No clue what's going on here....but sounds pretty bad."

FlareKnight on
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Forgive me for being clueless, but what even is Stream sniping?

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Be honest, my son. How many times last week did you, "skip the kripp?"

• Huttj509Huttj509 Registered User regular
    T-danger, stream sniping refers to watching someone streaming a live multiplayer game, and using that to gain an advantage over them.

Such as seeing what cards they have in their hand in Hearthstone, or seeing where they're hiding in PUBG.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    stream sniping is when someone broadcasts themselves playing a video game live on the internet and then complain about people watching them.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Bayou wrote: »
    27th July, 2002 : A fighter jet crashes into a crowd of spectators during an air show in Ukraine killing 85 people and injuring hundreds more.

Shouldn't have been watching a Team Fortress stream while flying.

MichaelLC on
  • MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Dunno, Jesus seems like a pretty hardcore competitive dude.

vphsqtfzo5fv.jpg

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Forgive me for being clueless, but what even is Stream sniping?

say someone that plays a MMO that you play is live streaming. You use their live stream to your advantage. The one that comes to mind is a case in EVE Online. Some one was live streaming his roam. Everyone watching could see how his ship was fit and what system he was in. Someone got a fleet together fit to counter his weapons and able to eat through his tank. Then they swept in and killed him. It's screen watching for the 21st century.

• MarkD1159MarkD1159 Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm a gamer, a geek and a priest! I'll be happy to hear confessions like this! Maybe I should contact the people in charge of PAX and ask for a confessional to be put in next year.

• MantisTechniqueMantisTechnique Registered User new member
    Please, PLEASE tell me that is Father Ward. https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/26

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MarkD1159 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a gamer, a geek and a priest! I'll be happy to hear confessions like this! Maybe I should contact the people in charge of PAX and ask for a confessional to be put in next year.

Father, i have been save scumming with multiple roguelikes.

steam_sig.png
  • MarkD1159MarkD1159 Registered User regular
    MarkD1159 wrote: »

Father, i have been save scumming with multiple roguelikes.

Remember, your first save shall be last, and your last save shall be first.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    stream sniping is when someone broadcasts themselves playing a video game live on the internet and then complain about people watching them.

It's more akin to screen-watching because instead of focusing in full on your own screen you're also watching someone else's. And in doing so you're killing someone else's fun and doing yourself a disservice because you're not actually getting better at the game.

steam_sig.png
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I uh... Never thought screen peeking was that big a deal. I used to play goldeneye with my brothers, bf and friends and it was just an accepted hazard of the game. "he's in the vent!" was pretty commonly heard and is a fond memory for me. It wasn't until years later I realized anyone got angry about it.

Watching someone stream to figure out how to kill them seems amusingly clever, but I imagine once it becomes a common streamer hazard it's just annoying.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    I spend a lot of time watching Hearthstone streams on my 2nd monitor when playing games. I gotta admit, Stream snipers are freak'n cancer to that game, and they deserve digital hell for their sins. Knowing exactly what cards the other player has in HS is an almost insurmountable advantage, not to mention the other benefits snipers usually get in terms of 'queue' sniping so they pit decks vs streamer decks very favorably. It ruins the game, and damages the viewing experience for everyone. It's a total dick move.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time watching Hearthstone streams on my 2nd monitor when playing games. I gotta admit, Stream snipers are freak'n cancer to that game, and they deserve digital hell for their sins. Knowing exactly what cards the other player has in HS is an almost insurmountable advantage, not to mention the other benefits snipers usually get in terms of 'queue' sniping so they pit decks vs streamer decks very favorably. It ruins the game, and damages the viewing experience for everyone. It's a total dick move.

That seems like a game that would definitely need to either black out the players hand or just not stream. It seems bizarre that streaming it would be a thing otherwise.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

That seems like a game that would definitely need to either black out the players hand or just not stream. It seems bizarre that streaming it would be a thing otherwise.

That makes the game less entertaining and folluwable for stream-watchers who aren't playing against the steamer at the time, though. Would you want to watch a poker tournament on TV where you weren't shown anyone's hand?

• DerryckDerryck Registered User regular
    Yep, totally agree with you, Enlong!

edited August 2017
    Enlong wrote: »

That makes the game less entertaining and folluwable for stream-watchers who aren't playing against the steamer at the time, though. Would you want to watch a poker tournament on TV where you weren't shown anyone's hand?

Well, to be fair, they don't broadcast poker tournaments where you can see the players' hands live, either. So really, it seems like that's your choice. Delay and visible, or live and not. I'm not saying it makes it BETTER for the viewer, I'm just saying there's really not much of a choice if you're worried about this sort of thing.

dennis on
    Enlong wrote: »

What Hearthstone streamers should really do is overlay the hands from random recorded games on their current stream.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    thank you comments for explaining this since the comic made no sense. They didn't even mention hearthstone in it which would have given some context as to why sniping is a bad thing. Sniping doesn't make sense here regardless though. Watching someones stream to see their hand while playing them is basically too important to omit.

shadowysea07 on
    thank you comments for explaining this since the comic made no sense. They didn't even mention hearthstone in it which would have given some context as to why sniping is a bad thing. Sniping doesn't make sense here regardless though. Watching someones stream to see their hand while playing them is basically too important to omit.

It's not Hearthstone-specific. Plus, in this case, Gabe actually explains the joke as part of the comic.

I don't understand why people wouldn't just put "stream sniping", or whatever term that confuses them, into a search engine. It takes all of 30 seconds to figure out.