As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] has been on our television screens since 2011

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Arya
    Oh I'm 100% sure Littlefinger is a dead man. Arya is a hornet's nest of violence and this seems like a desperate hail mary. As much as Arya dislikes Sansa there is a 0% chance she's going to drive her into Littlefinger's arms.
    I don't know. I mean I want that to be the case but...
    Arya knows murder not politics. And she didn't witness all this character growth Sansa did. Last she saw Sansa, it was season 1 and 2 Sansa. How did everyone feel about season one and two Sansa?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey how come everyone knows to call em the Night King

As far as I know they didn't like, introduce themselves

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This scene of Arya stalking Littlefinger everywhere is just making me imagine a Hitman game where you play as Arya and your only target is Littlefinger over and over

Video games
    I've actually just been picturing "Arya's Creed" the whole time. "New objective: Tail Littlefinger"
    Optional objectives for full synchronization
    -Do not get detected
    -Do not kill anyone
    -Do at least one flip

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Daenerys
    She talked about breaking the wheel, but the choice she offered wasn't really a choice at all. I like that the show isn't completely on her side and that Tyrion and Varys are voicing their reservations. I think her arc's building to a flashpoint that'll reveal what kind of a ruler she's going to be and maybe whether she'll ultimately even survive the show.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Daenerys
    She talked about breaking the wheel, but the choice she offered wasn't really a choice at all. I like that the show isn't completely on her side and that Tyrion and Varys are voicing their reservations. I think her arc's building to a flashpoint that'll reveal what kind of a ruler she's going to be and maybe whether she'll ultimately even survive the show.
    it was a choice, it was a choice to leave the system or die with it. She never said she was here to make a better world for everyone. From her perspective she could have killed the father and saved the son, and then had a pissed off noble son with a large house to deal with. I mean these are the kind of choices you have in war. She cant take them prisoner because they will always be symbols of the wheel.

And she spared the rest of the men by doing so.

She isnt here to play the game, to ransom noble lords and work with the houses. Shes here to break the houses. Whether thats a good idea or not is up in the air. Also the covnersation was a great "here are all the sides" look, with even lord tarly saying "there is no right way in war" in reference to him betraying the Tyrells. Ultimately she isnt going to be able to talk everyone into this. Shes a revolutionary, and the last 6 seasons have gone a long way to establishing that westeros needs some sort of change, and the nobles themselves wont allow that. I mean its explicitly spelled out the balancing act Dany is doing. If shes too soft she changes nothing, too hard and she becomes worse than the wheel.

also the whole arya scene reminded me of skyrim, especially the lockpicking and finding a note

Prohass on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I said it about the last episode but I'll say it about this one too. I love giant dragons flying about the place. They've been a bit in the background in the past, mostly because of budget I'd guess. But now they're front and centre. There's been a bunch of shots that would look rad as a poster. Basically, dragon+anything=cool.
    Scratching a pet's nose+dragon=cool. Also, the way Jon just stood there, cape flapping in the wind, fantasy as fuck.
    I don't think Dany needed to offer fealty or death, she could have offered fealty or another chance to fight for Cersei (ie death). In a kind of, "I don't care what you do, you can't stop me" move. But I can see how that would be a risk, she might be invincible and unbeatable plotwise, but from her perspective she'd just be causing more opportunities for her enemies to fight her, and even if they have a very slim chance of defeating her, best not risk that.
    Mr Tarly was an interesting sort of guy. He might be a bad guy but he was a understandable and reasonable bad guy (shame about that whipping comment last episode making him into a two dimensional villian). I quite liked the Tarly we see in this episode. Both of them. :( But while Dickon might be dead, at least we have Gendry. Him and his hammer, teaming up with Jon is the most fan fiction thing.
    The transitions are still quite good. Jail cell opening->gate opening. Very nice.
    You can tell that Dany, Jon et al are the good guys because they have this ridiculous and pure hearted idea to team up and fight the zombies that relies on Cersei not being an evil idiot.
    If the dragons were real, Drogon taking off would have at least knocked Dany and Jon over with the force of wind from his wings.
    After last episode I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of scenes in the latter half of the episode. Wondering if they were going to pull another twist or big battle.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Ser Davos was the MVP of this episode, like most episodes he's in.

A close second was Tormund with "did you bring the big woman?"

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I didn't catch that line.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Daenerys
    it was a choice, it was a choice to leave the system or die with it. She never said she was here to make a better world for everyone. From her perspective she could have killed the father and saved the son, and then had a pissed off noble son with a large house to deal with. I mean these are the kind of choices you have in war. She cant take them prisoner because they will always be symbols of the wheel.

She isnt here to play the game, to ransom noble lords and work with the houses. Shes here to break the houses. Whether thats a good idea or not is up in the air. Also the covnersation was a great "here are all the sides" look, with even lord tarly saying "there is no right way in war" in reference to him betraying the Tyrells. Ultimately she isnt going to be able to talk everyone into this. Shes a revolutionary, and the last 6 seasons have gone a long way to establishing that westeros needs some sort of change, and the nobles themselves wont allow that. I mean its explicitly spelled out the balancing act Dany is doing. If shes too soft she changes nothing, too hard and she becomes worse than the wheel.

also the whole arya scene reminded me of skyrim, especially the lockpicking and finding a note

How was it a choice
    to leave the system? Their choice was to either pledge loyalty to a new ruler or die. That's exactly the kind of choice the Targaryens forced on the people when they conquered Westeros.

Dany has done nothing to show she's trying to break the system rather than taking over the system. The fact that she burned so much of their food is going to hurt the smallfolk way more than it'll hurt the nobility.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Re: dragons in the next episode preview
    THERE AREN'T ANY WHO CARES FLAMING SWOOOOOOOORD

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I said it about the last episode but I'll say it about this one too. I love giant dragons flying about the place. They've been a bit in the background in the past, mostly because of budget I'd guess. But now they're front and centre. There's been a bunch of shots that would look rad as a poster. Basically, dragon+anything=cool.
    Scratching a pet's nose+dragon=cool. Also, the way Jon just stood there, cape flapping in the wind, fantasy as fuck.
    I don't think Dany needed to offer fealty or death, she could have offered fealty or another chance to fight for Cersei (ie death). In a kind of, "I don't care what you do, you can't stop me" move. But I can see how that would be a risk, she might be invincible and unbeatable plotwise, but from her perspective she'd just be causing more opportunities for her enemies to fight her, and even if they have a very slim chance of defeating her, best not risk that.
    Mr Tarly was an interesting sort of guy. He might be a bad guy but he was a understandable and reasonable bad guy (shame about that whipping comment last episode making him into a two dimensional villian). I quite liked the Tarly we see in this episode. Both of them. :( But while Dickon might be dead, at least we have Gendry. Him and his hammer, teaming up with Jon is the most fan fiction thing.
    The transitions are still quite good. Jail cell opening->gate opening. Very nice.
    You can tell that Dany, Jon et al are the good guys because they have this ridiculous and pure hearted idea to team up and fight the zombies that relies on Cersei not being an evil idiot.
    If the dragons were real, Drogon taking off would have at least knocked Dany and Jon over with the force of wind from his wings.
    After last episode I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of scenes in the latter half of the episode. Wondering if they were going to pull another twist or big battle.

I'd disagree that his whipping comment made him two-dimensional; we already knew he was a supreme hard ass anyhow, with little empathy for those struggling or weak

one could say this was exemplified most when he told his own son to take the black or he was going to "accidently" murder him

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey how come everyone knows to call em the Night King

As far as I know they didn't like, introduce themselves

well i spose we don't know if he refers to himself like that

among friends he may just be ted

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I caught up with this thread after I saw the latest episode
    so it was amusing to read all the comments about Jon and Dany's not-quite-there chemistry after watching Dany get all googly-eyed over him this time.

I also loved that her more overt expressions of attraction were triggered by her realising that

"hey, he's pretty good with the kids"

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Davos continues to rule the show. MVP hands down
    Also the "if their dog likes you, you are off to a good start" thing holds true even in this universe which is nice.

Sad that Gendry didn't have his sweet Bull helmet from the books/earlier in the story

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Daenerys

How was it a choice
    to leave the system? Their choice was to either pledge loyalty to a new ruler or die. That's exactly the kind of choice the Targaryens forced on the people when they conquered Westeros.

Dany has done nothing to show she's trying to break the system rather than taking over the system. The fact that she burned so much of their food is going to hurt the smallfolk way more than it'll hurt the nobility.

It was totally a choice:
    They were too stupid to live. Dany doesn't even come into it. They had the choice between dying or not and picked dying. Sam is better off.

And yeah, she's taking the wheels place. She thinks she's better than the wheel. And better than her father and possibly all the other Targ's in the past. She may be right, she may be wrong.

But right or wrong, she's the one with dragons. And those are needed against the undead, so fuck anyone standing against them.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Daenerys

How was it a choice

It was totally a choice:
    They were too stupid to live. Dany doesn't even come into it. They had the choice between dying or not and picked dying. Sam is better off.

And yeah, she's taking the wheels place. She thinks she's better than the wheel. And better than her father and possibly all the other Targ's in the past. She may be right, she may be wrong.

But right or wrong, she's the one with dragons. And those are needed against the undead, so fuck anyone standing against them.

No,
    they had a choice between dying right there or fighting and dying for Dany, possibly against their own people.

Also, they don't know about the White Walkers. They haven't seen the show. And Dany did nothing to explain to them the White Walker threat.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter. Either of those points. It was A or B and only 2 idiots picked B.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Motion to rename that place Jon hangs out at dragon stone to the Cliff of Exposition.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Second.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Motion to rename that place Jon hangs out at dragon stone to the Cliff of Exposition.

It's already the Cliffs of Brooding though.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I really, genuinely love that these last two seasons are moving at a mile a minute and are full of narrative convenience

The fireworks factory is here and they had to earn it with seven years of buildup but now there's no more wasting time

I find that excellent

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    davos is the rightful trueborn uncle of the realm

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Daenerys

When I was talking about Daenerys offering a choice
    I wasn't even referring specifically to what happened to the Tarlys. It was her speech to the soldiers. Her exact words are
    Daenerys wrote:
    I'm not here to murder and all I want to destroy is the wheel that has rolled over rich and poor to the benefit of no one but the Cersei Lannisters of the world.

I don't care about the Tarlys. I count them among the Cersei Lannisters of the world. But Daenerys is the one who brings up the wheel. She starts off by talking to the soldiers of the Lannister army, who look like terrified commoners and not aristocrats done low, about a system where the powerful play with the lives of ordinary folk with impunity, to their own end. And she ends that speech by telling them that if they don't follow her she'll have her dragon burn them alive. That's not a choice, that's a threat!

What stood out to me wasn't that she was cruel instead of merciful. She can do with her prisoners what she pleases. It's that she talked of emancipation but dealt in threats.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Davos continues to rule the show. MVP hands down
    Also the "if their dog likes you, you are off to a good start" thing holds true even in this universe which is nice.

Sad that Gendry didn't have his sweet Bull helmet from the books/earlier in the story

Helmets are for extras.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

He's the only POV in the books that wasn't born into privilege.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

He's the only POV in the books that wasn't born into privilege.

And his best friend Melissandre.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Question about the Wall.
    So, it's still enchanted to stop the undead, right? That's why Benjen can't come through. Jon & co don't know about the Night King touching Bran possibly having compromised the Wall; how are they planning on bringing a wight through?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Question about the Wall.
    So, it's still enchanted to stop the undead, right? That's why Benjen can't come through. Jon & co don't know about the Night King touching Bran possibly having compromised the Wall; how are they planning on bringing a wight through?
    I mean, they did it in season 1. Its possible they can't cross the wall under their own power, but can get dragged through no problem.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Question about the Wall.
    I think they can bring something through because years ago they already had that white walker pop awake accidentally on the other side of the wall.

They just might now be able to pass the wall on their own.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Question about the Wall.

Way back when
    there was a wight in Castle Black. Jon brings it up himself

I can't imagine Castle Black is technically on the other side of the wall, so I think wights might be able pass through it

Skeletons and White Walkers, probably not, but wights we've seen

Also I get the feeling they're doing an end-around on the Wall anyway, and the army of the dead will straight up walk into the ocean rather than go through the Wall

Unless they do something with the whole Bran-getting-touched thing

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Question about the Wall.
    I mean, they did it in season 1. Its possible they can't cross the wall under their own power, but can get dragged through no problem.
    IIRC that one got through the wall because it was a corpse when it passed through, and only reanimated once it was on the other side.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Question about the Wall.
    I've not read the books and probably never will... I also can't remember if the wall being enchanted is mentioned in the show, who enchanted it and how strong is it?

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Question about the Wall.
    IIRC that one got through the wall because it was a corpse when it passed through, and only reanimated once it was on the other side.
    Right, but it could have been playing possum. Of course we have no idea what the real ruleset of the Wall is, I would assume whatever The Others/White Walkers have to do to reanimate the dead can only be done on that side of the wall.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Daenerys

How was it a choice

It was totally a choice:

No,
    they had a choice between dying right there or fighting and dying for Dany, possibly against their own people.

Also, they don't know about the White Walkers. They haven't seen the show. And Dany did nothing to explain to them the White Walker threat.
    It's like the Bear Jew introduction scene from Inglorious Basterds. The officer is given a choice between turning on his allies or death. He chooses death before dishonor. Lord Tarly is no different. He's choosing to support a tyrant, even, making him an even closer match (although in this case the tyrant isn't also the foreign invader).

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Question about the Wall.
    I've not read the books and probably never will... I also can't remember if the wall being enchanted is mentioned in the show, who enchanted it and how strong is it?

The wall
    was enchanted by Bran the Builder when he raised it however many thousands of years ago
    And, up til now, it appears to have been 100% successful, though it hasn't actually had to hold off any dead men yet so who knows

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    My immediate instinct is that Cersei is
    lying about babby.
    But who knows
    I don't think she's lying about being pregnant, but about who the father is. The writing very pointedly doesn't ask who the father is, but who they're going to tell people the father is. So technically Cersei isn't lying when she says they'll tell people the father is Jamie.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    lying about babby.
    But who knows
    I don't think she's lying about being pregnant, but about who the father is. The writing very pointedly doesn't ask who the father is, but who they're going to tell people the father is. So technically Cersei isn't lying when she says they'll tell people the father is Jamie.
    Like, are you thinking the father is Euron? Or somebody else?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    lying about babby.
    But who knows

Yes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Question about the Wall.

The wall
    was enchanted by Bran the Builder when he raised it however many thousands of years ago
    And, up til now, it appears to have been 100% successful, though it hasn't actually had to hold off any dead men yet so who knows
    Ahh I see of course! Thank you GG!

• Options
    lying about babby.
    But who knows

Yes
    Huh, I never got the feeling Cersei actually liked him enough for that. Amusement mixed with disgust maybe and the thoughts of nudging him along to further her ends but not enough to actually ever seal their bargain (marrying him and such).

That said, Euron's fleet really gets around so who knows. He could be anywhere. He could even show up in the north to shell White Walkers for all we know!

This discussion has been closed.