As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Still struggling with it then...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Peter Pan looks like such a jerk in these games

maxresdefault.jpg

look at that guy

he just looks annoying

I kinda relished the opportunity for Terra to show him what for

Team Captain Hook

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Terra did nothing wrong.

Wait. No.

The opposite of that.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Peter Pan always looks like a jerk

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    Terra: The Dumbest Boy Alive

Terra has never heard of "lying" before

Every single person who tells him something must be taken at face value

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Terra: The Dumbest Boy Alive

Well I think he was basically raised by Eraqus

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    This Maleficent person seems trustworthy.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Terra: dumb as a box of rocks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Peter Pan looks like a jerk because he is a jerk. Well no scratch that he's a murderous asshole who will stop killing pirates and switch to their side to kill Lost Boys just to even up a fight.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    alright Ventus' story should've come first

Too many times someone comes by and says "so this happened offscreen and now it's important" in Terra's

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

Too many times someone comes by and says "so this happened offscreen and now it's important" in Terra's

This happens in every story

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Alright this whole X-blade thing really does not work

Because it just sounds like "keyblade"

and I know that's the point but nobody is writing this stuff down so everyone is just saying "keyblade" and acting like they've never heard of that before and just instantly know it's a different thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Finished Terra's story, I had to grind out some abilities to make sure I could get it done but it's done

How exactly does this go now

I hear I have to make a new game and make sure I save it on a separate file to start a new story?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

This happens in every story

To a degree it does, but I would argue that it's the worst when doing Terra before Ventus. For a couple reasons.
    The whole X-blade thing is not mentioned at all during Terra's campaign, until Ventus just sort of casually say "oh Xehanort wants me to make this thing" right at the end. It's really jarring and clunky. It's the driving force of the whole plot, it's very important, but if you play Terra first it doesn't feel important, it feels like a random side note.

And doing Ventus first allows the player to at least experience a little mystery regarding Terra's actions. You hear about them from second hand sources, and don't know the truth until you see events from his POV. It's better to have Terra's corruption as a background thing for one playthrough then it is to have the X-blade plot line unmentioned for one playthrough IMO.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Terra's story first makes sense because it's the most far removed from the others, and is actually the most self-contained. Ventus > Terra > Aqua can get a bit messy mostly because Ventus and Aqua's story should really be played one after another, and Aqua's story should definitely be last. The only other sequence that would possibly make sense is Ventus > Aqua > Terra, because the epilogue most closely serves as the conclusion to Terra's story, and then way later, the events of A Fragmentary Passage.

There are two major plot threads
    Xehanort gunning for Terra as a new vessel, and Xehanort/Vanitas also leading Ventus to forge the X-blade. Terra's story really has nothing to do with the forging of the x-blade, which is why you never really see Vanitas at all. And Ventus/Aqua's story really have nothing to do with Xehanort's plans for Terra, other than them commenting how Terra is kind of messed up.

Javen on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    They should have just chosen an order for you

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    They should have just chosen an order for you

I guess I'm inclined to agree; while there's nothing really inherently wrong with allowing the player to choose paths, I also don't think it adds to anything

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Finished Terra's story, I had to grind out some abilities to make sure I could get it done but it's done

I hear I have to make a new game and make sure I save it on a separate file to start a new story?

Do I have this right because I'm just kinda sitting around waiting for an answer before I continue

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean

Do I have this right because I'm just kinda sitting around waiting for an answer before I continue

Yeah you start a new game, which will allow you to skip the tutorial and intro and right to the part where you pick which path you want to follow, then save on a separate spot so you don't overwrite the path you already took. Once you have clear saves of all three paths, the epilogue becomes available.

The new paths if you skip the tutorial always start with the mark of mastery exam.

Javen on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    This Maleficent person seems trustworthy.

Ok, lets be fair here.

He doesn't trust her, like at all.

When he meets her, he's guarded with his own info, refuses her when she shows up later and requests he do an evil thing, and then pulls his fuckin' sword on her when he thinks she's pulled some shit.

The closest he comes to trusting her is when he gives some thought to the stuff she said about Xehanort, but he throws that out later, since he has no history or reason to trust her over him.

Terra's got some problems with Hook and Jumba, but Maleficent needs mind magic to get him to do anything for we.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Yes, start a new game and save it on a new file.

The final story just requires that you have a clear file for all characters.

Depending on the difficulty (normal and up?), you may also need to have all the Xehanort Reports (each character has a different set), one of which is a reward in Terra's Mirage Colosseum.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah you start a new game, which will allow you to skip the tutorial and intro and right to the part where you pick which path you want to follow, then save on a separate spot so you don't overwrite the path you already took. Once you have clear saves of all three paths, the epilogue becomes available.

The new paths if you skip the tutorial always start with the mark of mastery exam.

Even more reason they should have just picked for you

Having to keep three separate save files is the most cumbersome solution

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Wait I've been playing this on easy, do I really not get to see the actual ending now or does it just lock some teaser trailer shit like every other game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean

Even more reason they should have just picked for you

Having to keep three separate save files is the most cumbersome solution

I mean, separate save files for each character makes sense if you want to see the story, then go back and do side stuff like trophies or arena stuff later.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Wait I've been playing this on easy, do I really not get to see the actual ending now or does it just lock some teaser trailer shit like every other game

I think there's a secret ending of some sort, but I just youtubed it. To see the 'epilogue' chapter, you just need to have done all three stories and I think have all the xehanort reports? Which are easy to get anyway and don't involve grinding at all. They're either in treasure chests or just given at story sections.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    IIRC when you start a new game they tell you that even on easy you'll be able to see the hidden ending movies, you will just have to do more work

• Options
    Sanctuary
    IIRC when you start a new game they tell you that even on easy you'll be able to see the hidden ending movies, you will just have to do more work

It says that in the other games, in this one is says you straight-up cannot get it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean

They do, but on easy I think it's get 100% of everything, on each character. That includes crafting every single ability, fighting every single monster, getting every single chest, and clearing every single mini-game.

• Options

Easy doesn't lock you out. You just need to get the reports with each character and clear their final bosses to make a clear save. The way I phrased it was poorly worded and incorrect, sorry.

• Options

They do, but on easy I think it's get 100% of everything, on each character. That includes crafting every single ability, fighting every single monster, getting every single chest, and clearing every single mini-game.

At which time point just watch Blank Points on YouTube.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The hidden ending and the epilogue are two different things.

The epilogue is a short, playable segment. You just need to beat all three stories and get the Xehanort reports, which are very easy to get.

The hidden ending is like the ones in KH 1 and 2. Not really worth the trouble to unlock in game, just YouTube it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Birth by Sleep's secret ending is actually worth getting because you get to play through a new world.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I am completely incapable of remembering which Ven- is which

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

Watch the secret ending on YouTube when you're done.

I think you can still unlock it on easy, but it takes a bunch of effort you probably won't want to put in.

But watch it for sure either way, unlike older KH games the secret movie is genuinely important.

• Options

Ven is good, Van is bad.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

Ven is good, Van is bad.