As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So has the upcoming new from Matt Groening been mentioned? Not much info about it, not even a trailer I can find but it's apparently going to be a Netflix Original. Frankly, I love the Simpsons and Futurama is probably one of my favorite series of all time, so I'm hopeful this will be good, and I'm always happy to see more animation targeted towards my demographic (not-children)

Its out next year so any trailers would likely be animatics. Still Im looking forward to it.The Protagonist seems like he'll break away from the Fry/Homer mold which is a plus

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just finished the current half season of Voltron. I was worried that the last episode wouldn't be as dramatic as we've been accustomed to given it was more or less a history lesson, but it was handled very well and raised a lot of questions while answering others that I had t really thought too much about
    Like why Lotor has always looked like an Altean hybrid

This has been a very good weekend for me for animation.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, Dras, let me tell you a story, our ancestor's in their great wisdom, managed to create many a wonder in their times. Miracles possibly, one of these miracles was something call the Television set. Search out one of these things.

It might surprise you to know, Matthew, that there are benighted people who inhabit the frozen wasteland known as "outside the US", whose television channels rarely show new shows until perhaps six months later, if they even have access to the necessary exclusive channel in the first place :p.

(Seriously, Disney and Disney XD are premium channels around here, and even if I had them, which I do not, I would bet you ten bucks that the episode probably hasn't been dubbed yet and therefore is not showing).

Understood, just giving you a hard time :) I hope you managed to find a place to watch it.

Indeed I did this morning. It was good!

Webby really needs to find some chill. Also, I like new Beakley. And Donald being sneaky made me grin like an idiot. "Oooopsie".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Just finished the current half season of Voltron. I was worried that the last episode wouldn't be as dramatic as we've been accustomed to given it was more or less a history lesson, but it was handled very well and raised a lot of questions while answering others that I had t really thought too much about

I really liked that...
    They added a ton to Haggar. And it's interesting to see her obsessive tendencies even before she was infected by the dark... stuff.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I really liked that...
    They added a ton to Haggar. And it's interesting to see her obsessive tendencies even before she was infected by the dark... stuff.
    Some of that's...actually been there since the 80s. It's just that it was only introduced in the crossover movie they did back then.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Well, Dras, let me tell you a story, our ancestor's in their great wisdom, managed to create many a wonder in their times. Miracles possibly, one of these miracles was something call the Television set. Search out one of these things.

It might surprise you to know, Matthew, that there are benighted people who inhabit the frozen wasteland known as "outside the US", whose television channels rarely show new shows until perhaps six months later, if they even have access to the necessary exclusive channel in the first place :p.

(Seriously, Disney and Disney XD are premium channels around here, and even if I had them, which I do not, I would bet you ten bucks that the episode probably hasn't been dubbed yet and therefore is not showing).

Understood, just giving you a hard time :) I hope you managed to find a place to watch it.

Webby really needs to find some chill. Also, I like new Beakley. And Donald being sneaky made me grin like an idiot. "Oooopsie".

Webby being a shut in but her isolation being in a house full of an amazing history is a great idea.
    She can relate to the boys who also have an over protective guardian but unlike them she had nobody else so she fixated on the Mcduck /Duck family legacy. It makes sense she's over excited

I think she'll calm down a bit as the show progresses but not a lot

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So has the upcoming new from Matt Groening been mentioned? Not much info about it, not even a trailer I can find but it's apparently going to be a Netflix Original. Frankly, I love the Simpsons and Futurama is probably one of my favorite series of all time, so I'm hopeful this will be good, and I'm always happy to see more animation targeted towards my demographic (not-children)

Its out next year so any trailers would likely be animatics. Still Im looking forward to it.The Protagonist seems like he'll break away from the Fry/Homer mold which is a plus

I thought the protagonist was the Princess? Or do you mean the demon dude Eric Andre is playing?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Webby being a shut in but her isolation being in a house full of an amazing history is a great idea.
    She can relate to the boys who also have an over protective guardian but unlike them she had nobody else so she fixated on the Mcduck /Duck family legacy. It makes sense she's over excited

I think she'll calm down a bit as the show progresses but not a lot

The new Webby is so, so much better than the original whining toddler incarnation. It helps that she seems to be closer in age to the nephews and, as the premiere and various clips show, brings her own set of skills to the group.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    For anyone who hasn't or for some reason can't see it, Disney XD put the full first episode of DuckTales up on their YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Blocked in other countries. Just saying.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Blocked in other countries. Just saying.

Why even bother then :x

• Options
    Marvel's Spider-man looks so bad. :(

Yeah this is a train wreck. Criminal waste of Pattin Oswalt too.

Going back to this a bit. They revealed the cast for this and looks like Josh Keaton (who played Peter in Spectacular Spider-Man) is playing Norman Osborne in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snk20e4wHuw

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    wow that first guy. Is he the illegitimate son of Ron Perlman?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    r
    skeldare wrote: »
    Marvel's Spider-man looks so bad. :(

Yeah this is a train wreck. Criminal waste of Pattin Oswalt too.

Going back to this a bit. They revealed the cast for this and looks like Josh Keaton (who played Peter in Spectacular Spider-Man) is playing Norman Osborne in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snk20e4wHuw

I feel terrible for the actors because its the writing causing all the problems I have with this. Davy and Goliath has more natural dialouge

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For anyone who hasn't or for some reason can't see it, Disney XD put the full first episode of DuckTales up on their YouTube channel

Holy crap, it's so good.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Thanks so much! <3

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    "Lying: It's the responsible thing to do!"

For the first time in a bit shy of 3 decades I can actually tell you which is which of Donald's nephews.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

For the first time in a bit shy of 3 decades I can actually tell you which is which of Donald's nephews.

How could you possibly forget Bluey?

• Options

and that is why Louie is the evil triplet...

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

and that is why Louie is the evil triplet...

Eh!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Watched that DuckTales hour premiere, very very good, very impressed, more than I thought I would be as it stood on its own without spraying 'memberberries all up in my face. Solid pacing, good brief jokes, neither Webby or Launchpad turned into Poochies like I feared, and they didn't make Scrooge out to be constantly needing to learn lessons from the brothers and made him a solid protagonist looking to impart his knowledge to others like how they flipped the Dewey story in the second half, it was all very good with Glomgold being the best. Adventure Capitalist is just, that is the best of puns, super classy 100/100.

The only thing I don't want to see is any real kind of overt political bullshit which might be impossible in today's hollywood, especially when dealing with a duck who swims in money (I honestly thought they were going to make him lose all his money as the major plot of the season) so fingers crossed and toes webbed, m i rite gang?

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Watched that DuckTales hour premiere, very very good, very impressed, more than I thought I would be as it stood on its own without spraying 'memberberries all up in my face. Solid pacing, good brief jokes, neither Webby or Launchpad turned into Poochies like I feared, and they didn't make Scrooge out to be constantly needing to learn lessons from the brothers and made him a solid protagonist looking to impart his knowledge to others like how they flipped the Dewey story in the second half, it was all very good with Glomgold being the best. Adventure Capitalist is just, that is the best of puns, super classy 100/100.

The only thing I don't want to see is any real kind of overt political bullshit which might be impossible in today's hollywood, especially when dealing with a duck who swims in money (I honestly thought they were going to make him lose all his money as the major plot of the season) so fingers crossed and toes webbed, m i rite gang?

We already know he's getting a second tycoon foil that's a Silicon Valley type.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I mean, they made an oblique mention to clean energy, at least.

Fencingsax on
  • Options

My memory of the original is pretty fuzzy, but I seem to recall this happening, often.

I agree about not wanting any current event overtones. This is my escapism.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The pilot and Gizmoducks origins are both multipart and Scrooge loses the bin in both so it seems more common than it is

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    This was only the first episode, but the phrase "adventure capitalist" was mentioned at the end and Scrooge is clearly bored to hell and dissatisfied with the tedious business-like parts of his fortune (we see that right at the beginning with the vultures).

Seems to me they're pitching him as a kind of ultra-rich Indiana Jones who built his fortune from treasure hunting rather than just having a really big company that he built up over the years.

And shenanigans with his vault were always an ongoing theme with Scrooge. I got a big kick out of the fact that the very first adventure they have involves somebody going after the vault.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Bachman?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Bachman?

John Beaks or something. His flaw is he craves the spotlight wealth brings

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

IIRC the comics about Scrooge McDuck actually did stuff like this, and the cartoon toned it down severely. It's been a long times since I watched the show, I recall episodes having morality tales and Scrooge being pseudo Mr Burns.

edit: Cartoons are also trending to be (slightly) more politically aware, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as cartoons can impact kids political opinions and behaviors. This is also why you see heavily Christian cartoons, like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpM_j1MZG8

And why Eric was always forced to be wrong in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. The 80's cartoons are rife with this sort of thing from censorship.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Bachman?

John Beaks or something. His flaw is he craves the spotlight wealth brings

No love for John D. Rockerduck? Over here he was always the more recurring antagonist to Scrooge while Glomgold didn't show up as much in the european comics.

• Options

IIRC the comics about Scrooge McDuck actually did stuff like this, and the cartoon toned it down severely. It's been a long times since I watched the show, I recall episodes having morality tales and Scrooge being pseudo Mr Burns.

edit: Cartoons are also trending to be (slightly) more politically aware, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as cartoons can impact kids political opinions and behaviors. This is also why you see heavily Christian cartoons, like

And why Eric was always forced to be wrong in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. The 80's cartoons are rife with this sort of thing from censorship.

Remember, the alteration of Glomgold's nationality was driven by politics in the original series.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Disney shows and politics:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

Huey - Heart - red
    Louie - Leaf - green
    Dewey - Dew/Water - blue

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I will not accept Darkwing Duck unless he's voiced by Jim Cummings.

But damn that was an amazing premiere.

The only voice in Ducktales that really threw me off at all (despite them all being drastically different) was Donald's. I know his schtick is that he's hard to understand, but it literally took me a few scenes with him in it before my ears adjusted to the point where I started understanding him.

My views on Donald were for ever changed after hearing this:

(NSFW Language):

https://youtu.be/WUgl4u9F9SQ

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Speaking of Disney shows and politics:

The hero we needserve.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »

Huey - Heart - red
    Louie - Leaf - green
    Dewey - Dew/Water - blue

...you'd think it'd have been obvious.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Remember, the alteration of Glomgold's nationality was driven by politics in the original series.

Late, but don't forget they changed him back.

(According to the creators, he's back from being to South Africa, but he's only pretending to be Scottish in order to out-do Scrooge. Which is wonderful.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Late, but don't forget they changed him back.

(According to the creators, he's back from being to South Africa, but he's only pretending to be Scottish in order to out-do Scrooge. Which is wonderful.)

Hence the whole kilt line in the premiere.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I saw this last night. It was pretty amazing, actually.

I wasn't expecting much at all from the trailers, but dang. It exceeded all my expectations.

I loved everything about it. Just everything.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.