As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark & Light] It's fantasy ARK, basically.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I'm playing this now. Uninstalled Ark.

Going to say it's a bit rough, but much more playable than some Early Access games I've tried. There's a lot of potential here to weave in some traditional PvE fantasy content alongside the Ark-style tame gameplay. The thing I really like about it so far is your character seems much more important in the world as far as adventuring and fighting, whereas Ark was all about getting on a high-level tame and just eating everything in a few clicks.

Of course it's early, and in a couple weeks I might be complaining about the exact same thing, but for right now I'm happy that most of my murdering occurs by my own two hands (or fireballs or lightning bolts) and not just a single tamed fantasy creature.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sorry about lack of talk from me lately. I destroyed my ankle over the weekend and so I am dealing with that. But server is set on automatic restarts/updates every 12 hours so should be still good to go.

Also restarted/ran an update just now to make sure it was going. Apologies again.

Also I am looking for someone to help admin the server, do restarts ect when I cannot.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Looks like another patch this morning, hooray:

Here's the full list of what to expect:

We've made rabbits and sheep easier to hunt--though why would you want to kill such sweet fuzzy creatures?
    Fix the bug that causes players to lose their inventory items when rebooting the server.
    Allow human NPCs to respawn after being killed so that you can do your trading and get your gold!
    Fix the bug that permitted random players to sit in your chair or lie in your bed.
    You will now be able to drag the bodies of players who are dizzy and immobile, similarly to how you can drag dead bodies.

Weapon and Spell Fixes:

Previously players could cast a spell even if their mana was insufficient, which decreased their staff's core durability. We've fixed this issue.
    When you switch your staff from being on your back to in your hand and also use the shortcut to switch the staff head, a bug prevents the right staff head from being placed. We've fixed this bug.
    The Wall of Fire will now give players damage if its cast at them or where they're standing--you're not fireproof anymore!

Playability Fixes:

Fix bugs in the scroll wheel players use as a shortcut to switch between items.

Performance Optimization:

Optimized creature's movement AI.
    Reduce the number of fish to prevent the number of creatures getting stuck in the terrain.
    Improve and optimize game performance and playability.
    We've temporarily the option to rent a house in the city, but if you've already got a rental, don't worry--yours won't be affected. We're adjusting the system to make it easier to use, as well as add special guards to protect your stuff, so you can be confident that your rental will be safe.
    We've optimized tree cutting so that you can cut down trees quicker and more smoothly.

In other news, lightning 2 is amazing and lightning 3 is apparently even cooler. The reign of the panther isn't at a complete end, but they're on the run....occasionally.

Fiatil on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Anyone had any luck finding iron in the dwarf area?

Probably obvious, but you'll find more of it in mountains. There's a mountain right next to the starting Elf town that has copper, iron, mithril, and darkstone everywhere. If they gave it to the elves so easily I would hope the dwarves have an ore mountain nearby too.

edited August 2017
    There's a shitload of copper, but no other metals.

Edit: I found some, to the other side of the copper spawns.

Norgoth on
    Well, this is easily the most terrifying thing I've seen in game so far:

915862ED3C87F32A5339AAE632544475B1B0C2C4

Fiatil wrote: »
    Well, this is easily the most terrifying thing I've seen in game so far:

915862ED3C87F32A5339AAE632544475B1B0C2C4

There just so happy to beat you up and steal your shit.

edited August 2017
    For the legions of people (ok 2-3) on my server, I've made the following updates:

Tame speed is now 5x --- the server seems to have agreed that taming high level stuff is pretty annoying after a couple of weeks.
    Hunger and Thirst now decay at half speed, per @TheKoolEagle's request. Also doubled spoil time because mushrooms spoil so fast
    I set weight on wild and tamed creatures to increase at 2x what it previously would -- I'm not 100% sure if this works yet, but default weights on tames are pretty damn low, and it sucks to be able to carry twice as much as your moose mount. I can confirm base values are unaffected, only incremental weight gains through level ups will/should be affected.

Any questions or concerns just let me know!

Fiatil on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I know it's early yet, but does this game actually have interactive NPC towns, quests, and RPG elements? Or is it just Ark with spells and dragons?

edited August 2017
    It has NPC towns, with NPC guards and merchants you can trade with. You can level up the merchants to have more/better stuff by donating gold to them which is pretty nifty, but there's really nothing in the way of quests and dialogue yet. There are like 8-10 big "quests", but they're more along the lines of tutorials, and don't seem to give any rewards in and of themselves.

It also has random outposts and such strewn throughout the world, which is a really nice touch to give it character beyond finding someone else's square house a la Ark.

Fiatil on
    I have taming at 3x, but let me know how 5x goes, I know I hated taming in ark

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    I have taming at 3x, but let me know how 5x goes, I know I hated taming in ark

I'll be honest 3x is still a little slow. It's took over an hour to tame a longhorn.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    This looks fun, but then survival games usually do, but often get pretty boring once you have higher level character and semi decent gear.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yeah I tamed a level 120 longhorn the other day and it was just over 2 hours to get it done. I was using apples and everything, just took forever.

I'm hoping the kibble gives a massive boost to taming because the amount of work that goes into it is a bit ridiculous

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    Yeah I tamed a level 120 longhorn the other day and it was just over 2 hours to get it done. I was using apples and everything, just took forever.

I'm hoping the kibble gives a massive boost to taming because the amount of work that goes into it is a bit ridiculous

They don't effect tame speed, it does mean it eats less, which keeps the wildness bar higher. Higher the bar the more bonus stats it gets once tamed.

One big difference from Ark is that a lot of the stronger creatures are Elementals, which are tamed by killing them, capturing their souls, and reconstructing them at an altar. There are still dragons and kodos on the upper end of the traditional gaming method though. I feel like 5x should help out a lot -- I sort of expect my first dragon or super fancy thing to take awhile, but there's a sweet spot to be found.

yeah I went and checked out the kodos. I want one but I don't think i'll be getting one until I make about 100 iron hook arrows haha

The only difference between stone and iron hook arrows is about 20-25% more constitution damage. No other benefit.

So for the extreme cost difference, you're better off just using stone for now.

I will increase taming speed on the server to 5x once I am home from work.

Taming with feed is about 10x faster.

feed is also a huge requirement, glad to hear it does speed it up quite a bit

Apparently there's an NPC you can rank up who sells it and it's very easy to farm gold.

Norgoth wrote: »

Apparently there's an NPC you can rank up who sells it and it's very easy to farm gold.

wow thats pretty crazy then, I saw I could buy fertilizer for 4 gold a piece in a pinch instead of farming huge amounts of meat etc. Bet its the same vendor

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Is there a description of the RPG elements of this game somewhere? I was mildly interested in ARK as a survival/LANparty game and the switch to a fantasy/RPG based environment is a tiny bit more interesting. Are there quests? Is there some kind of overarching story, or is it just survive/build/progress? I see some kind of faction-based talk. What are the factions and how do they differ (if at all)? Are there classes (i.e. "holy trinity") or is it more-or-less every person for themselves and more power basically comes from having more people in a fight?

All of the reviews take ARK as a baseline and then talk about how this game differs from that one. But for people like me that never played ARK (for whatever reason), I'm not really interested in how ARK-like this game is; rather tell me about Dark and Light and why I want to play it...?

26904.png
    It's the guy who sells meat and arrows. About 5500 gold will start to open up feed, starting with herbivores. The carnivore feed is currently bugged and the first level costs like 5000 gold. The dwarf vendor is named Darmok Thunderhoof.

Stupid wrote: »
    Is there a description of the RPG elements of this game somewhere? I was mildly interested in ARK as a survival/LANparty game and the switch to a fantasy/RPG based environment is a tiny bit more interesting. Are there quests? Is there some kind of overarching story, or is it just survive/build/progress? I see some kind of faction-based talk. What are the factions and how do they differ (if at all)? Are there classes (i.e. "holy trinity") or is it more-or-less every person for themselves and more power basically comes from having more people in a fight?

All of the reviews take ARK as a baseline and then talk about how this game differs from that one. But for people like me that never played ARK (for whatever reason), I'm not really interested in how ARK-like this game is; rather tell me about Dark and Light and why I want to play it...?

Most of that stuff isn't in the game yet, the devs say its about 30% done. Right now its basically ark with magic and a town where guards protect you from terrible enemies that want to wreck you.

Stupid wrote: »

Most of that stuff isn't in the game yet, the devs say its about 30% done. Right now its basically ark with magic and a town where guards protect you from terrible enemies that want to wreck you.

Yeah there's any role playing in this your going to have to supply yourselves. Still it sells a sense of adventure pretty well.

There are no classes, everybody needs a bow for non combat stuff so it's basically a choice between melee guy or magic dude. Melee is a bit wonky at the moment so most people favour magic, but magic does require additional considerations (such as needing to sleep). Generally you'll be doing at least some of both though.

I am increasing taming speed to 8x because fuck that.

edited August 2017
    Pretty big patch this morning, buuut it was rolled back fairly quickly due to instability. It sounds like they're going to try to roll it out again soon, judging from the very nice engrish post of a guy diligently working to fix things. Notes are below, there's a lot of cool stuff (inculding optimization!):
    Important Notice on Areas Targeted for New Content
    In major updates in the near future, we’re planning on adding content that will take the place of some of the wide-open areas on The Sacred Path. As a result, some Adventurers’ structures may be damaged, or even destroyed entirely. In order to help prepare for these additions and prevent losses, we’ve added glowing indicators in affected areas. Please check to make sure that your structures and items are completely out of the range of the glowing indicators to avoid losing anything.

New Content
    Added a number of new Schemas in the Construction Knowledge tree. Every Adventurer needs a place to return home to, whether it’s at the end of an adventure or after an unfortunate run-in with a Cyclops. Craft these new Schemas to add some style to yours!
    Added Secured Door in the House Knowledge tree. Secured Doors can be set to only allow certain people into a room - perfect for treasure hordes.
    Removed rarely-used Schemas in the Stonework Knowledge tree.
    Updated the launch splash screen.

General Updates
    In our ongoing optimization efforts, we’ve merged and removed a number of redundant assets and improved the way textures are loaded. As a result, load times when initially logging into a server have been reduced, and overall performance should be improved. We’ll be continuing to improve Dark and Light’s optimization throughout the Early Access period - thanks for your feedback and support!
    Spell Tower Changes - Spell Towers will now deal significantly increased damage. Delay between shots has been reduced.
    House War Declaration Changes - House Owners can now set permissions on which House members can make War Declarations.
    Experience Gain Changes - High-level Dark Fallen, Wraiths, and Elementals will now grant more experience when killed.
    Greatsword - Power attack (RMB) removed.
    Durability Changes - Being attacked will now remove less durability from equipped items.
    Mounted Creature Knowledge Experience Gain Changes - Harvesting while mounting a tamed creature will now grant reduced Knowledge tree experience gains.
    Tamed Creature Stat Adjustments - Creature base stats have been increased, but it will now take longer for tamed creatures to level up.
    Creature Taming Difficulty Adjustments - Creatures are now slightly more difficult to tame across the board. Frost Dragons and Infernus Dragons are now much more difficult to tame.
    Scrolling with the mouse wheel will no longer switch between items on the hotbar.

Bug Fixes
    Various construction pieces have been reworked to make them easier to place.
    Adjusted the concentration of resources in several problem areas to improve performance.
    FPS has been improved when viewing the Inventory.
    Tooltips should now display properly on the respawn UI.
    Guards should now properly target and attack flying creatures.
    Fixed a bug where city guards would occasionally slide or float randomly while pathing.
    Fixed a bug where the Focusing Potion Schema wasn’t unlocking for some players.
    Fixed an issue where attacking a Fire Imp with a Greatsword would occasionally cause a server crash.
    Tamed Elementals will no longer despawn on server restarts.
    Fixed a bug where casting a spell with insufficient mana would still remove equipped spell durability.
    Fixed a bug that would allow players to dismount certain creatures to clip inside of structures.
    Fixed a bug where War Declarations would occasionally result in immediate wars when declaring against multiple houses.
    Fixed a bug where one House wouldn’t be able to attack another after a War Declaration was made.
    Removed collision models for a number of objects.
    Fixed a bug where characters wouldn’t take damage from Fire Wall.
    Visual effects when using Summoning Stones and Soul Suppression Stones have been fixed.
    Triangular Foundations will no longer float when placed.
    Several sound effects have been adjusted.
    Players were still able to use prone by adjusting some .ini files - prone has now been completely removed as intended.
    Respawn locations are now properly labeled in the respawn UI.
    Fixed a bug where creatures were wandering in a wide radius - they will now wander in a shorter radius from their original spawn.
    Fixed a bug where character models would go rigid when seized by a creature.
    Fixed a bug where players weren’t able to donate to Estel’s blacksmith.
    Soul Node inventory text has been adjusted.
    Fish were spawning out of control! Aquatic creature spawn rates have been reduced.
    Adjusted the frequency of meteorite spawns.
    Bear, Boar, and Wolf animations have been adjusted. They should get stuck inside of other creatures less frequently now.
    Equipment models have been adjusted to look more natural.
    Removed interactable items in rented properties to improve performance in cities.
    Slums can now be rented in Estel.
    Weapon hit rates have been improved while running.
    Fixed an issue where Revival Altars were displaying improperly on the respawn UI.
    Improved Copper Helmet model on female characters.
    Adjusted Infernus Dragon saddle model.
    Adjusted Cyclops respawn points so they should no longer respawn inside of stones.
    Fixed an issue where tamed Nidhogs could be ridden without a saddle.
    Fixed an issue where switching an equipped spell on the hotbar would allow a spell to be cast without durability loss.
    Fixed an issue where Spell Towers were deactivating and needed to be reset on server restarts.

Edit: It appears the buggy patch and rollback caused all of the resources that stopped spawning as a result of my base being built to spawn again, and now I have an awesome druid base:

13F9F43ED50624B568D32D195788755D52F4F47A

Fiatil on
    This is a thing I did yesterday with some House members, and I think I like it.

ii2Ghca.jpg

Server updated.

Server updated.

Just a heads up, all buildings have despawned after this update

Server updated.

Is that like all player built, all NPC, or both? I just checked in on my server and everything seems alright -- my house is around, and I can see the NPC starter town across the lake.

I'm very happy that they made the stone building textures less terrible -- having to keep the window open for it to actually be a window was pretty lame.

Server updated.

Is that like all player built, all NPC, or both? I just checked in on my server and everything seems alright -- my house is around, and I can see the NPC starter town across the lake.

I'm very happy that they made the stone building textures less terrible -- having to keep the window open for it to actually be a window was pretty lame.

This on Elims server, we lost everything except the respawn shrines and a turrett

Server updated.

This on Elims server, we lost everything except the respawn shrines and a turrett

Yeah I gotcha, I just wanted to keep an eye out for it myself. That sounds pretty nasty, fortunately DnL does keep a pretty long list of backup saves.

Server updated.

Whaaat. All I did was run the update, I didn't touch anything else....god damn it.

Server updated.

Whaaat. All I did was run the update, I didn't touch anything else....god damn it.

Luckily the tames were fine, so we were able to rebuild a small structure, gotta get the benchs back up though

So the changes to the building materials just looked at last login, not last login from the patch date. So if you didn't log in for a couple days before the patch, then a day after the patch (so total of 72 hours), all your building stuff went poofed. The material changes have been updated so now stone tier and higher takes long to auto-decay.

But yeah...we had a couple people on our server lose a full metal base because of this...not much you can do than either quit, or rebuild...unless everyone on the server is happy to do a rollback.

Patched the server. Hopefully it doesn't explode again.