As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft Remastered] Now Live!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This casting stream had INcontrol loose some pent-up stress about Defilers a decade old and it was surreal

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I decided to start playing this and oh my god the nostalgia is so real my hair is standing on end.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yo what the fuck I never knew the missile turret was just a dude sitting between two rocket launchers just spinning out of control

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm sure I'll get used to it, but this game is remarkably pretty looking. It freaks me out a little bit to see the UI elements with such clarity sometimes. I think zooming in and staring at things is actively making me worse at the game.

Also! I'm a little bummed they replaced the cleanly designed classic hydra with a nastier, meatier version more in line with SC2 in the mission select menu. It feels like one of my all time favorite creature designs is being slowly erased from history.

Still looks cool (and better than the SC2 hydra) though.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ugh. Got to mission 3. "Survive for 30 minutes." I don't think I can. I will die of boredom before the 30m timer expires.

If you are playing on the fastest speed, it's more like 20 minutes

Also it's totally possible to just kill all the zerg on that stage, if you want something to do.

Killing all the zerg in the original didn't end the mission though, right? You still had to wait out the timer.

Correct, but killing all of the Zerg would take up most of that timer.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yo what the fuck I never knew the missile turret was just a dude sitting between two rocket launchers just spinning out of control

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/d2p2w/wait_theres_a_person_in_the_missile_turret/
    Os8y1.jpg

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    That guy is super dizzy like woah

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The Day9 stream tonight was a 2017 internet highlight I did not know I wanted, needed or would even like.

I recognized maybe half of the streamers/player names but them clowning on each other and the games in general was just cracking me up constantly. I'm sure some of it has to do with nostalgia for Brood War but still. I'm really impressed with the production they put together and will be tuning in tomorrow for sure.

swaylow on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    some of the commentary was just hilarious. There was a lot of chemistry between all of them and it was very entertaining watching them basically only casually cast the match while telling stories and making jokes. Its basically how i wish all esport casting was. The only other casters that ever came close were Deman and Joe Miller when they were casting the first couple seasons of the LCS for League of Legends. Occasionally there will be some smash brothers casters who are funny, but most are stupid.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Is there a way to use grid keys?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait, is this Broodwar with modern bnet matchmaking?

I don't care about graphics, but HOLY SHIT broodwar free of the archaic 90s bnet setup?

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Wait wait wait, is this Broodwar with modern bnet matchmaking?

I don't care about graphics, but HOLY SHIT broodwar free of the archaic 90s bnet setup?

Not quite. Right now, there's only 1v1 "ranked" (not sure if that has match making). If you wanna play teams, it's still the same old way. Meaning lots of FASTEST MAP EVER games.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Oh....fuck that and Big Game Hunters.

Goddamn Sirocco was a great map.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Played a trio of games with my brother who is just, leagues better than me at SC2. We were both playing random, and he kept getting Terran. My first game was Protoss, and I completely forgot how to get Zealot Leg speed and was fucking around with the tech tree on whatever the default map is because he made the match and yeah, just a completely open base with no expansion. So I died to his first massed push.

Second game I pulled zerg, and did okay holding and harassing for a little, but forgot to upgrade Lurkers and realized waaaayyy too late and died.

Third game, I was Protoss he did another big bio push but this time I had said fuck it and skipped going for legs and went right for Reavers.

"What the hell are those and what did those just do?!" - My brother, as his bio ball evaporates while I'm also dropping a pair of Reavers in his mineral line.

• Options
    ohhhhhhkay, does this happen to anyone else? If you view the Credits and click the left mouse button, the game crashes.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I suppose I can't really blame them but I wish they wouldn't have used this as an excuse to go back and change the appearances of the portraits to be in line with later retcons. Jim was Blonde and Kerrigan had a long face and dreadlocks. These are things I wish they had kept the same with the updated portraits.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Played a trio of games with my brother who is just, leagues better than me at SC2. We were both playing random, and he kept getting Terran. My first game was Protoss, and I completely forgot how to get Zealot Leg speed and was fucking around with the tech tree on whatever the default map is because he made the match and yeah, just a completely open base with no expansion. So I died to his first massed push.

Second game I pulled zerg, and did okay holding and harassing for a little, but forgot to upgrade Lurkers and realized waaaayyy too late and died.

Third game, I was Protoss he did another big bio push but this time I had said fuck it and skipped going for legs and went right for Reavers.

"What the hell are those and what did those just do?!" - My brother, as his bio ball evaporates while I'm also dropping a pair of Reavers in his mineral line.

OG Colloxen.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I suppose I can't really blame them but I wish they wouldn't have used this as an excuse to go back and change the appearances of the portraits to be in line with later retcons. Jim was Blonde and Kerrigan had a long face and dreadlocks. These are things I wish they had kept the same with the updated portraits.

Beyond the retcon I think they took greater artistic license with the portraits, which makes sense since they obstanently aren't gameplay effecting. I just think they lost somethings in the translation, Mengsk new profile, for instance, which you see mostly in meeting briefings is a big step down. They lost what was a fairly dynamic angle on his face and made something much blander.

I haven't actually had a chance to play yet, so this is all based on post release YouTube footage, but I think it speaks volumes to the original art team that whenever the new team makes a different choice it's almost always for the worst.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Goliaths seem a bit darker than they should be.

They almost look like cloaked units when on dark terrain, kinda hard to see them.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm mildly disappointed they didn't do more with the remaster. I was expecting at least a few interface enhancements, like a better waypoint system, hotkeying multiple buildings, etc. Was also hoping they were remaking the cinematics instead of just releasing higher resolution versions. (it's also weird that they left the gaming opening with the Brood War cinematic... I guess that is how it was, but typically that's because you just installed the expansion rather than having both bundled together :P)

I agree I'm not fond of the new portraits either.

I also swear I heard they were re-recording dialog but they didn't... Though there seems to be a disabled option to use the original dialog? Real curious about this.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I thought the HD upgrades were great. The Portraits, the graphics, and the music.

The only drawback is that they tax your computer like Starcraft 2 does.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They've said from the word go that this will be compatible with regular Starcraft, so I'm not surprised the controls are unchanged.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm mildly disappointed they didn't do more with the remaster. I was expecting at least a few interface enhancements, like a better waypoint system, hotkeying multiple buildings, etc. Was also hoping they were remaking the cinematics instead of just releasing higher resolution versions. (it's also weird that they left the gaming opening with the Brood War cinematic... I guess that is how it was, but typically that's because you just installed the expansion rather than having both bundled together :P)

I also swear I heard they were re-recording dialog but they didn't... Though there seems to be a disabled option to use the original dialog? Real curious about this.

They stated when they announced it that they wanted to keep the gameplay exactly the same as in the original. Having to relearn the old hotkeys and remembering to group production buildings is really messing with me.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I haven't been following it that closely, though when I hear that I think more in terms of not changing the units, how they move, etc.

I guess I liken it to WarCraft 2 Battle.net Edition where they went in and added stuff like hotkeying units and such which didn't exist in the original. It doesn't really change the gameplay, just make it a little less cumbersome :P I'd at least like to be able to set the Command Center waypoint to a mineral vein and have the SCV that pops out auto harvest it :P

I understand though, since StarCraft is this weird hyper-competitive multiplayer thing and they don't want to mess with that. Still, an option to toggle for Single Player? :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

They stated when they announced it that they wanted to keep the gameplay exactly the same as in the original. Having to relearn the old hotkeys and remembering to group production buildings is really messing with me.

They do have custom hot keys, so you could always change them all to starcraft 2 ones I suppose.

They wanted to keep backwards compatibility with the original client, so I'm sure there are some limitations there.

I agree with everyone about the portraits, I'm not liking them. The human characters all look too skinny and weird. They also all seem zoomed out compared to the original portraits making them look small (probably relates to my first comment about the skinniness). It'd be cool if you could have the original portraits with the higher res graphics. Might look strange, but I'd honestly prefer it.

I copied over all my maps from my original Starcraft and I wouldn't be surprised if they all worked since Remastered is essentially just a client for Starcraft. Old replays from 1.16 worked too. I'd imagine older replays that didn't get broken by patches still work too, I'll have to test that sometime. I don't know where the replays are stored though, it doesn't seem to be in the local folder anymore. Also, staying true to the backwards compatibility I suppose, when you go select a map through custom single player (and maybe LAN if the interface isn't changed), a folder will cut off the list of maps after 256 listings, just like the original. I figured they'd at least fix that, but nope.

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

They do have custom hot keys, so you could always change them all to starcraft 2 ones I suppose.

They wanted to keep backwards compatibility with the original client, so I'm sure there are some limitations there.

I agree with everyone about the portraits, I'm not liking them. The human characters all look too skinny and weird. They also all seem zoomed out compared to the original portraits making them look small (probably relates to my first comment about the skinniness). It'd be cool if you could have the original portraits with the higher res graphics. Might look strange, but I'd honestly prefer it.

I copied over all my maps from my original Starcraft and I wouldn't be surprised if they all worked since Remastered is essentially just a client for Starcraft. Old replays from 1.16 worked too. I'd imagine older replays that didn't get broken by patches still work too, I'll have to test that sometime. I don't know where the replays are stored though, it doesn't seem to be in the local folder anymore. Also, staying true to the backwards compatibility I suppose, when you go select a map through custom single player (and maybe LAN if the interface isn't changed), a folder will cut off the list of maps after 256 listings, just like the original. I figured they'd at least fix that, but nope.

I don't think it has grid though, which is what my fingers are used to.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah same, I am gonna have ISSUES without grid, and it makes me wonder how much I wanna play considering I do intend to keep playing sc2

NONY IS THERE today, very happy to see him, been a long long time.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    is the tournament over does anyone know?

• Options
    I'm mildly disappointed they didn't do more with the remaster. I was expecting at least a few interface enhancements, like a better waypoint system, hotkeying multiple buildings, etc.

If they did that, it wouldn't be Starcraft anymore. It'd be a new game, that felt different.

If you want a Starcraft game with a fully modern interface and controls, SC:R isn't for you - that's what Starcraft 2 is for.

Starcraft Remastered is for people who love everything about the original Brood War and still want to keep playing it, but get a treat of some improved graphics and better social interface.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Welp. Activision has showed up on my Blizzard launcher. The two SC missions I ran were fun, but it's time to uninstall all Blizzard games, delete the launcher, and boycott them. It was a good run. I've been with them since Warcraft 1. But I will not abide this Activision bullshit getting mixed in with the purity of my Blizzard library. Wish I could have gotten to play more Starcraft. It's a shame really.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Welp. Activision has showed up on my Blizzard launcher. The two SC missions I ran were fun, but it's time to uninstall all Blizzard games, delete the launcher, and boycott them. It was a good run. I've been with them since Warcraft 1. But I will not abide this Activision bullshit getting mixed in with the purity of my Blizzard library. Wish I could have gotten to play more Starcraft. It's a shame really.

Activision has run the games division of Vivendi (which included Blizzard) since 2008, and has been the sole owner of Blizzard since 2013.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Activision has been run of the same division as Blizzard since 2008, and has had 100% control over Blizzard since 2013.

Yes. But now I have to look at it.

Previously, as in yesterday, I did not. That's the difference.

Today it's Destiny 2. Tomorrow it will be Call of Duty. Then movie tie-in games. Then Rock Band. Then Crash Bandicoot Racing and every other awful thing Activision makes.

• Options
    Well, that's psychotic. But I guess enjoy not playing fun games because being reminded of one's you don't like is impossible for you to handle?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I literally looked at the Destiny 2 thing at the bottom and I was like "hmmm I wonder if they'll put Call of Duty in at the bottom"
    And then I shrugged. Different strokes, I guess!

re: portraits, the generic unit ones are really nice! But Raynor's portrait seems really odd - like, it doesn't even look like his StarCraft 2 appearance, and his face doesn't take up a whole lot of the icon either. It's actually kind of shit even compared to the other retcon style ones.

• Options
    edited August 2017

this cannot be a serious post i refuse to believe anyone actually exists that is this triggered by some icons in a column

muh slipary sloap

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Raynor is mashup of his original and SC2 appearance, it looks like. Same facial structure as in the later games, but with the close shaved hair n beard of the original.

He looked like that in the Wings of Liberty flashback CGI scene where they abandoned Kerrigan - he's visible on a screen next to Mengsk with his short hair.

Also he was never blonde! I always thought he was black til SC2 happened. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    A black Sheriff?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Looks like this is worth $15? I just started playing the original over again.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Looks like this is worth $15? I just started playing the original over again.

I mean, it's essentially the same game, except the online matchmaking & interface is far more intuitive, the cutscenes are updated, and the graphics are much better, including support for proper modern resolutions.

Oh, and customizable hotkeys.

So if the lack of any of that was frustrating you, it's worth it.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    yeah same, I am gonna have ISSUES without grid, and it makes me wonder how much I wanna play considering I do intend to keep playing sc2

NONY IS THERE today, very happy to see him, been a long long time.

Can you not simply rebind all keys appropriately to emulate grid? SC2 allows you to bind the same key to more than one ability, so it should be possible, just laborious.