As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this a bedbug :(

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
Hello, gf saw a bug this morning in my bedroom and it looks like it could be a bedbug. Not 100% sure but I dearly hope it's not.

The thing that's confusing me is that they said the adults have vestigial wings. I kept the bug under a glass to observe it and at one point I saw it move it's wings but not fly. The wings covered it's whole body. But the pics still kinda look like some of the pics of bedbugs i saw online. Didn't find any bloodstains either in my bed look around the bed everywhere in my sheet and on the matress and cracks couldnt find more in hiding so far...

yf5c4xlgi1fd.jpg
l09vkxuwmxe7.jpg
60bkqzuo1apm.jpg

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507

• DarthelasDarthelas Registered User regular
    I feel reasonably certain that is not. They are reddish brown and much more circular shaped.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's a beetle of some sort.

This is a bedbug:

DrpKq6q.jpg

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Did a quick GIS for bed bugs, and like Darthelas, I'm pretty certain that's not one.
    Spoiled for bedbug from Terminix:
    Signs-Your-Room-Has-Bed-Bugs-Main.jpg
    Your pictures look like some kind of beetle, but I'm not an entomologist and can't identify it better than that (which doesn't really help any more than saying "yup, it's a bug. Not a bedbug, but definitely some kind of bug").
    On the plus side, we have entomologist type people around here. @Arch, @BugBoy, what is this?

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Those are not bed bugs. Probably dermestid beetles. You're safe.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Thanks yeah a lot of the pictures online looked different but a few kinda looked like it. Just needed to get reassured.

thanks again :pop:

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Should be noted that carpet/furniture beetles don't necessarily eat your carpeting if it's synthetic. They eat do eat natural fibers like cotton, wool/hair, belts. Check your closets, laundry baskets and seldom worn clothing.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    They're right, those aren't bedbugs. They're very small, but they aren't too hard to identify because if you have an infestation, you'll have little ashy spots all over your bed/if you squash one they have a very distinct odor.

If you ever do get bedbugs though take it seriously. Call an exterminator if you can afford it. They're an absolute bitch to get rid of.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It's Ringo.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar