As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Do we know where the Medical badge lines will be this year yet? Same place as last year?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited August 2017
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    Do we know where the Medical badge lines will be this year yet? Same place as last year?

I'd default to same place as last year. They usually don't move much. If you don't see it ask the line Enforcers when you get there. You can also ask when you pick up your medical badge.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Two questions:

1. Where is the ACT theater located? I want to pet some kittens. :3

2. I have heard people say that the Pike Market area is not super safe at night time, and since I am staying at the Moore Hotel, should I try to be back in by night time?

Thank you. :3

• xshinoxxshinox Registered User new member
    i have a question about cosplay prop. if and when i get all my stuff together, i want to cosplay as a inkling from splatoon but the prop i want to bring is a toy squirt gun that's from the game. obviously i won't fill it with water. is it okay to bring this?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Two questions:

1. Where is the ACT theater located? I want to pet some kittens. :3

2. I have heard people say that the Pike Market area is not super safe at night time, and since I am staying at the Moore Hotel, should I try to be back in by night time?

Thank you. :3

1. The ACT Theater is adjacent to the WSCC and is accessible from the inside. If you come into the main entrance on level 1 where you're staring right at the series of escalators that go to level 4, walk to the right of said escalators. Before you reach the elevator, there will be a tunnel that leads to the ACT Theater.
    2. I haven't heard of that area being particularly bad.
    xshinox wrote: »
    i have a question about cosplay prop. if and when i get all my stuff together, i want to cosplay as a inkling from splatoon but the prop i want to bring is a toy squirt gun that's from the game. obviously i won't fill it with water. is it okay to bring this?

I'm 95% sure that if you are allowed to bring it, it will need to be disabled. I, however, am not The Official Word on this.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    OH MAN! I underestimated the size of PAX West. What are my chances of picking up my badge on Friday morning, hauling ass to the Main Theatre, and getting a spot to sit for the opening Storytime?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    blindnoir wrote: »
    OH MAN! I underestimated the size of PAX West. What are my chances of picking up my badge on Friday morning, hauling ass to the Main Theatre, and getting a spot to sit for the opening Storytime?

Do will call Thursday if at all possible

I fly in at 5pm. I wouldn't make it since it closes at 6PM.

• firemaplefiremaple Registered User new member
    I stayed at the Moore two years ago and felt as safe around it as any urban area. It's in what I'd consider the downtown core of the city. However, if you are not familiar with the area, I wouldn't recommend wandering more than about 10 blocks or so towards the south (past Yesler) by yourself at night. The Pioneer Square and SoDo areas are at bit sketchier, at least historically.

• firemaplefiremaple Registered User new member
    Where do we pick up these magical rides?
    whypick1 wrote: »
    For WSCC it should be in the tunnel and in front of the building for the other stops.

The locations last year weren't necessarily by the main entrance for most of the stops, but made sense for a shuttle route. The WSCC one was in the tunnel like Whypick1 said. I don't recall if the Paramount stop was at the front or side of the building, but it was easy to spot if you knew to look for the sign. The Westin was the trickiest for me to find from inside because you had to go to the lowest level of the hotel where they do valet parking/taxis/shuttles. The Benaroya stop was the opposite side of Union St from the NE corner of the building. Of course, they could be changing things up this year, but I'm assuming most will be relatively close to that same route.

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    firemaple wrote: »
    I stayed at the Moore two years ago and felt as safe around it as any urban area. It's in what I'd consider the downtown core of the city. However, if you are not familiar with the area, I wouldn't recommend wandering more than about 10 blocks or so towards the south (past Yesler) by yourself at night. The Pioneer Square and SoDo areas are at bit sketchier, at least historically.

Seconded. I haven't had a problem and I've stayed at the Moore Hotel for every Prime/West I've been to, including this year. I'm not sure what your tolerance is for the types of people on the streets (which I've seen range from panhandlers to protesters), but I found heading down Pike to 2nd seemed to be the path of lease resistance. There was construction on 2nd last year so you may need to adjust accordingly.

PimDtoK.png
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Thank you everyone for the info. :3 I only went to the Pike's Market area once when I was last there, and it did not seem so bad, but it was day time. I never felt not safe walking the streets in Seattle (then again I had a massive infection during that PAX so I was not out much), but when researching hotels I just saw a few people on Trip Advisor mention the safety around the Moore Hotel, so it made me a little unsure. Thanks though. :3 I would like to enjoy the night life some if I can!

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

You’ll be fine. Will-Call (where you pick up your ticket) opens at 8am, it’s at the convention center in a tunnel around back. Storytime isn’t until 10:30, it’s a half mile away from the convention center at Benaroya Hall (a concert hall), which has room for quite a lot of people. You still want to get in line early, but you don’t have to feel rushed. Last year me and my friends got in line at around 9, and we got good seats near the front.

Dreamwriter on

You’ll be fine. Will-Call (where you pick up your ticket) opens at 8am, it’s at the convention center in a tunnel around back. Storytime isn’t until 10:30, it’s a half mile away from the convention center at Benaroya Hall (a concert hall), which has room for quite a lot of people. You still want to get in line early, but you don’t have to feel rushed. Last year me and my friends got in line at around 9, and we got good seats near the front.

Thanks!

• All Night XiongAll Night Xiong Registered User new member
    I received my tickets last week, do I need to register them or just have them on me when I got to PAX?

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I received my tickets last week, do I need to register them or just have them on me when I got to PAX?

You just need to be wearing your badge to enter any official PAX area. You can register them if you'd like to participate in the new PAX XP promotion thing but it's not mandatory.

PimDtoK.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Possible stupid question. Last year was my first year finally going for a medical badge. I only used braces to get around in years past. This year I'll have a rollator. I know how panels work (being pulled out of line to make room), but do autograph sessions work the same way? I'll be up and down a lot and am worried about how much space I'll take up and annoying others in line.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    I recently received an email telling me where to pick up my PAX West badges. I did not order tickets to PAX West.

Who do I email to find out if I just got sorted into the wrong mailing list or if there is some other, more involved mix-up going on?

pax_questions@paxsite.com

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh right, the kitten room!

Gotta get me some of that this year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    CKing wrote: »
    Possible stupid question. Last year was my first year finally going for a medical badge. I only used braces to get around in years past. This year I'll have a rollator. I know how panels work (being pulled out of line to make room), but do autograph sessions work the same way? I'll be up and down a lot and am worried about how much space I'll take up and annoying others in line.
    I would suggest asking an enforcer working the signing line when you arrive.

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Oh right, the kitten room!

Gotta get me some of that this year.

Is it back? Because I need that in my life. I was dressed as Ratchet last year and that was hilarious.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    CKing wrote: »

Yea Autographs should work the same. In general any PAX run area works like that. Booths are rooms run by exhibitors may differ, but its always worth asking.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular

Is it back? Because I need that in my life. I was dressed as Ratchet last year and that was hilarious.

Here!

http://indiemegabooth.com/indie-megabooth-pax-west-2017-lineup-announced/

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    helen0rz wrote: »

Here!

http://indiemegabooth.com/indie-megabooth-pax-west-2017-lineup-announced/

Yaaaaas

• Mloftus677Mloftus677 Registered User regular
    I'm sure I can find the room for the kitty kitties, but I didn't see what days and times its open.
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Mloftus677 wrote: »
    I'm sure I can find the room for the kitty kitties, but I didn't see what days and times its open.
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you

Last year it was for all four days but they ran limited session times each day. Best to check the Exploding Kittens Twitter or the actual location for their schedule.

• KdawgKdawg Registered User new member
    We are staying at the Westin. Would it be best to hit the VR stuff at the Westin and then head over to main convention, or should we try to hit VR later in day? We are only going on Friday but definitely want to check out the VR. Thoughts are appreciated.

Kdawg wrote: »
    We are staying at the Westin. Would it be best to hit the VR stuff at the Westin and then head over to main convention, or should we try to hit VR later in day? We are only going on Friday but definitely want to check out the VR. Thoughts are appreciated.

Depends on your priorities. It all opens at 10am, so you won't be able to be there for the opening of each. You could hit up VR right at 10, get a Freeplay appointment set up for that evening, check out the booths there quickly, then head to the main hall. By then the main hall opening crush should be sorted and while there will be lines in there for all the super desirable stuff, there should not be a line to get in.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular

Last year we did a Sat evening panel at the Westin that ended at 10:30. We took a peak at the VR booths and it was pretty empty. We had our run at Vive, Oculus and Rift. That was a lucky hit. I'd say hit VR booths in the late evenings if you don't have other parties to go to. I'd guess Sunday would be the emptiest. If you've gotta stand in line for primetime events, head to the main halls but get there as early as you can.

Last year we did a Sat evening panel at the Westin that ended at 10:30. We took a peak at the VR booths and it was pretty empty. We had our run at Vive, Oculus and Rift. That was a lucky hit. I'd say hit VR booths in the late evenings if you don't have other parties to go to. I'd guess Sunday would be the emptiest. If you've gotta stand in line for primetime events, head to the main halls but get there as early as you can.

While the Freeplay will be open that late (and is likely to be quick lines), this year the VR Village exhibitor booths at the Westin will keep regular expo hours, and will be closing at 6pm. fyi.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • PC_PixiePC_Pixie Registered User new member
    I'm a total newb to PAX and I'm finally going this year!

First, even though I'm a PC gamer, I play the occasional mobile game. Is there a mobile game presence at the conference?

Second, I saw that there is an "exclusive screening" (whatever that means) to something called Game Jam: The Movie. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    http://west.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/exclusive-screening-of-game-jam-the-movie

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question!

Are the Mike&Jerry doing any competitive games this year?

Was scrolling through the schedule but I am really good at overlooking stuff when trying to take in a large amount of info at once.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    PC_Pixie wrote: »

First, even though I'm a PC gamer, I play the occasional mobile game. Is there a mobile game presence at the conference?

Second, I saw that there is an "exclusive screening" (whatever that means) to something called Game Jam: The Movie. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    http://west.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/exclusive-screening-of-game-jam-the-movie

There have been plenty of mobile games in the past. The ones that come to mind are "Transformers: Forged to fight", "Starwars: Uprising", & "Dual".

Game Jam is a bunch of developers making a game from scratch in a very short amount of time. Like a Jam session when writing music. Game Jam: The Movie, is a documentary about one of the event it looks like.

Question!

Are the Mike&Jerry doing any competitive games this year?

Was scrolling through the schedule but I am really good at overlooking stuff when trying to take in a large amount of info at once.

It looks like the PAX Arena has not released their schedule yet, so we won't know until that happens.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • PC_PixiePC_Pixie Registered User new member
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    PC_Pixie wrote: »

There have been plenty of mobile games in the past. The ones that come to mind are "Transformers: Forged to fight", "Starwars: Uprising", & "Dual".

Game Jam is a bunch of developers making a game from scratch in a very short amount of time. Like a Jam session when writing music. Game Jam: The Movie, is a documentary about one of the event it looks like.

Thank you!

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any insight as to when the Pinny's list will be released? I'm dying over here!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any insight as to when the Pinny's list will be released? I'm dying over here!

The trend has been about a week before.

IhtGIyi.png
  • NyanNhanNyanNhan Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    First time PAX attendee.
    Questions about panels:
    1. Are the queue for lines set up outdoors or indoors?
    2. At the end of a panel, do the Enforcers kick everyone out of the room, to let the next batch in? Or can you stay in the room, and ride through all the panels scheduled for that day?

NyanNhan on
    edited August 2017
    1. Main Theater line up is outside, all others are indoor.
    2. Besides the Keynote/Q+A/Rooster Teeth block at Main Theater to start Friday, all theaters empty between panels.

whypick1 on
  • aroneloaronelo Registered User new member
    First-time PAX attendee, life-long Seattle resident. Lots of questions.
    1. How much of downtown does the show cover?
    2. Will people be bussing in crowds, or do most people drive? Are buses delayed in traffic, and if so, which lines get less delayed?
    3. Is the best place to get off the bus at 3rd and Pike/Pine to go to WSCC, or would you recommend starting in a different area of the show?
    4. Are there cords to charge devices (handhelds, cell phones) there, or do I need to bring my own? Is it recommended to stake out an outlet early in the day, or are they pretty easy to get ahold of?
    5. How long do lines for panels get? If I'm interested in one panel, and another one nearby only a half-hour after the first ends, is it reasonable to assume I'd be able to go to both, or should I pick only one?
    6. Where is the kitten room located? Are most of the kittens adopted by the end of the show, or do they remain?
    7. Are there things to buy besides official merch? Is official merch sold at the show, or did you need to order it ahead of time?
    8. With this sort of audience, there's going to be some 'Dudebros'. Should I, a 17-year-old girl, be worried about being hit on extensively in cosplay? Is there a reason to even do my cosplay, a ballet variation of Marvel's Black Widow (think Kevin Wada), or is it outside the general genre of what people wear?

This discussion has been closed.