As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dice? That's it?

Jumping JackJumping Jack Registered User new member
So, was anyone else here disappointed when they received their PAX commemorative dice set? When they said "set" I imagined they meant a full set of gaming dice, including a d20, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4; instead all I got were three d6's. Even most board games come with 4 dice! What kind of "set" is this, precisely? I feel like I've been taken advantage of.

Who else feels disappointed by their dice purchase?

• Options
    EmilieEmilie =^.^= Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Not disappointed at all. They look exactly like the photo they shared.

• Options
    MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »

Holy cripes they are made of metal? That's so cool! My husband ordered a set, I can't wait to see them in person c:

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    So, was anyone else here disappointed when they received their PAX commemorative dice set? When they said "set" I imagined they meant a full set of gaming dice, including a d20, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4; instead all I got were three d6's. Even most board games come with 4 dice! What kind of "set" is this, precisely? I feel like I've been taken advantage of.

Who else feels disappointed by their dice purchase?

I'm sorry you are disappointed. Other people seem to really like them and I have seen several people wish they had got them, so i'm sure you will be able to find someone to take them off your hands (although please follow the forum rules before you try to do that here) if you decide not to keep them.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    It's kindof like fast food (board game dice), chain sit-down restaurants (Chessex and the like), and fancy steak houses (not Outback, etc.).
    • Fast food: You get common food but cheap. You can get them anywhere.
    • Chain sit-down restaurants: You get medium portions, some of it is fancy like chicken marsala; some of it is common like lasagna and breadsticks. It's decent food.
    • Then you have the fancy steak houses. You get tiny portions, but it's prepared fresh, high quality, and well-seasoned. You're also paying for the experience.

You're also paying for the brand recognition, metal dice, limited edition numbered set (manufacturing low amounts vs bulk increases price), really nice case, personal pride, and of course some kind of profit. It's not cheap to manufacture either. If you didn't see the picture, maybe the price of the scarf and blanket prices could've clued you in.

I probably would've paid $100 for a full RPG set, but this is the first year they've done it. They have plenty of time to explore different ideas now that they've seen how popular merch was with badges.

I wouldn't feel taken advantage of if I were you, they're kindof awesome.

Anyone else notice the numerical equivalence of putting the letters together? Kindof gave me a chuckle because that was totally unintended.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    For anyone interested, the dice are made by Level Up Dice. They make full RPG sets that are beautiful. They were at South, a regular set cost somewhere around $200 I believe and they had amazing "cadged" die that were around $300 I think.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I wish I had gotten in the queue in time for the dice! I got the blanket and scarf. And, I have to say, I love the blanket. It's hard getting cool blankets these days that actually fit a person. 5ft by 5ft seems to be the norm, which means that at best it is still a few inches short of my shoulders. This one, however, is great.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    ZecroZecro Registered User regular
    I got two sets so I could trade one set for an East or South set or something. It was pretty clear from the purchase page (and the images) that it's just 3d6. The price for collectible CNC-machined aluminum dice is very reasonable. A full set of machined RPG dice is going to run you at least $70.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I love my set! I got 20/1050. Natural 20 baby!

dgiab0m7h15x.png