As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Xanathar's Guide to Striking a Nerve

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Adopted son. His father, Eldritch Knight Senior, left him with the miller to ensure the line of succession would not be snuffed out during the Before Wars

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Maybe the Miller's son always wanted to apprentice to the local wizard, but was never quite good enough for Wizbang the Mediocre to take on. Lack of talent and all that

You know, until [impetus for the adventuring life] happens and it turns out he had it in him the while time.

Or maybe he was apprenticed to the wizard (who wants to be an NPC all their life?), but Whizbang the Mediocre was killed by the BBEGs loyal minion after barely teaching you the basics.
    Instead of curling up with a couple dozen good grimoires and learning to be a wizard on your own over the course of a decade or two, you picked up the nearest murder stick and went minion hunting.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Maybe the Miller's son always wanted to apprentice to the local wizard, but was never quite good enough for Wizbang the Mediocre to take on. Lack of talent and all that

You know, until [impetus for the adventuring life] happens and it turns out he had it in him the while time.

So far he just wanted to take over dad's mill and become the best miler ever... But his dad decided the other son is going to take over and told his son that a life of adventuring would be way better than life as a miller. My character disagrees vehemently. I guess I didnt think this through very thoroughly.

Oh I got the suggestion that maybe he has an estranged mother or he is adopted and his mom has latent magical powers?

Where do Eldritch knights get their magic from anyway?

*e: thanks Rhesus

Aldo on
    Aldo wrote: »
    According to the PHB, they get their magic like Wizards: through careful study and memorization of spells.

edited August 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    According to the PHB, they get their magic like Wizards: through careful study and memorization of spells.

Damn it :( I was hoping for sorcerer-like thing.

I guess my guy is studious, because he is writing a book on millstones throughout the ages.

To put my question in a broader perspective: I am confused by creating a character. I picked Fighter and related stuff because it fitted the backstory, but level 3 has me stumped, unless the DM decides to implement a months long training montage I dont see how these archetype choices fit in a campaign.

Aldo on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I guess my guy is studious, because he is writing a book on millstones throughout the ages.

To put my question in a broader perspective: I am confused by creating a character. I picked Fighter and related stuff because it fitted the backstory, but level 3 has me stumped, unless the DM decides to implement a months long training montage I dont see how these archetype choices fit in a campaign.

If your DM won't let you pretend to be more sorcerer then they kinda suck. Like I can see push back on actual game mechanics but saying it can't be natural or something you figured out yourself is just being a goose.

Also I told ya, faeries correct your pronunciation or something. Faeries fix everything.

(I do not know why I associate faeries and mills but my brain does.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited August 2017

To put my question in a broader perspective: I am confused by creating a character. I picked Fighter and related stuff because it fitted the backstory, but level 3 has me stumped, unless the DM decides to implement a months long training montage I dont see how these arcgetype choices fit ib a campaign.

Meh, like most fluff, you can and should feel free to disregard it if you have a better idea (with your GMs permission).
    If you want him to be naturally gifted, or empowered by blood line, go for it.

If you want to keep it in line with your miller and follow the PHB fluff, maybe a wizard paid for some mill work with his worn copy of The Beginners Guide to Magic, and your boy picked up a few tricks that he thought might be handy around the homestead/mill? Being able to cast ray of frost might be nice to keep the mill cool on those hot summer days, or a firebolt to start a fire quickly...

see317 on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Monkey paw.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

If your DM won't let you pretend to be more sorcerer then they kinda suck. Like I can see push back on actual game mechanics but saying it can't be natural or something you figured out yourself is just being a goose.

Also I told ya, faeries correct your pronunciation or something. Faeries fix everything.

A couple of faeries wandered into the mill and inadvertently got ground into faerie dust, which got mixed into the flour and cooked into your character's bread. Instant magic powers.

It's basically the fantasy equivalent to being exposed to a radioactive animal bite.

Terrendos on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

A couple of faeries wandered into the mill and inadvertently got ground into faerie dust, which got mixed into the flour and cooked into your character's bread. Instant magic powers.

It's basically the fantasy equivalent to being exposed to a radioactive animal bite.

Have them like Winter Court/Unseelie fey and the all the rest of them think it a) was hilarious and b) makes you one of them.

Totally want to play this character now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Thanks for those replies, I am still learning a lot about DnD (only played 2 sessions so far).

Have them like Winter Court/Unseelie fey and the all the rest of them think it a) was hilarious and b) makes you one of them.

Totally want to play this character now.

I--you--they--I--ooooh

Hmmm.... That could work.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Have one of each, fighting the other. Think the final fight in Ant-Man except they both get accidentally ground up. Now BOTH sides claim you as a vassal and are trying to sway you or kill you.

Where did your guy get the writing implements?

Millers don't make that much money, so what your dad did was take a book that was given to you by a Mysterious Stranger (the fey, your real parent, whatevs) and carefully rub out all of the writing he didn't understand with a pumice stone to get a blank book he could give to you for your studies. It was a common thing to do in vellum-starved areas in Medieval times; however, it doesn't work so well with magical books. While you were writing your book on millstones, the gone-but-not-really words were being absorbed into your subconscious mind and getting mixed up with all your mill knowledge, so that now you can cast spells by telling people interesting facts about mills.

"The early millstones were known as saddlestones due to the wearing pattern made by the handstone!" *Whoosh*

"The repeating pattern of grooves in a millstone is known as a harp!" *Kaboom*

"Burrstone is a good rock for millstones!" *SPANGtwinkletwinkletwinkle"

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So on sunday me and the rest of the salt miners were back together and continuing a home campaign when we began a side discussion on the merits of the catapult spell, and using science (tm) I speculated that the best use of the spell would be to construct a spiraling tube with multiple catapult wands chained together to launch a 14 cubic inch block of uranium (because it was the densest material known to man) and also exposure to it could cause cancer.

What followed was me and the rest of the table proceeding to make more jokes about cancer as it related to a mutant chimera we'd gone off to hunt and kill then I thought human decency would allow, such as:
    • It doesn't actually have multiple heads, those are just tumors on a very sick lion.
    • It's not breathing poison, it's just puking because of it's defficient immune system!
    • Don't forget to steal it's oxygen tanks, those are valuable (this was said by someone who interns at an actual hospital)
    • Guys, we just have to work our way to it's one functioning organ, so called shot it's spleen.

There may actually be something wrong with us :P

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    So, at the behest of Matt Colville, I've procured a copy of Dark Tower, an AD&D module by the Judge's Guild. So far, it's, uh, interesting.
    Any character so captured will be knocked unconscious and eventually awaken to find him or herself in one of the empty cells of room 2 - 21 (B, C, D, or G). All weapons, supplies, armor and valuables will be removed from the characters' person(s). (....) It should be noted here that Females of Charisma 15 or higher have a 60% chance of being drugged and used for Avvakris's pleasures before being incarcerated.

If Avvakris, is at home, there is a 50% chance that he will be in the bedroom. There is a further 40% chance that he will be making love with some woman. (If Skilvashara has not already been discovered dead in room I - 5, then it will be her.) (....) She is a very beautiful darkhaired woman who is Avvakris's latest concubine. She will be here 100% of the time (unless as noted above). However, she may only be encountered here once. After that she will definitely by found as in room I - 5. Under the pillow she has hidden a dagger with a 4d8 poisoned blade.

1-5 KOBOLDS, CORPSES AND COMMUNICATIONS: 12 Kobolds, armed with short swords. They are squabbling over what appears to be a half-eaten, female, corpse. (Rufo, Beldar, or any caravan member will identify it as Skilvashara, the latest concubine of Avvakris.) She has apparently had her heart removed and looks a little gnawed on. The NE wall of the room is part of the white tower. Written on it in dried blood is "BEWARE OF HIDDEN SYMBOLS!" in a lawful good tongue.

Roughly half the encounters in the book are naked female statues or other monsters disguised as 'very beautiful' nude women. There's also a bit where you meet an 'aging prostitute who appears to be 35'.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That is awesome in how terrible it is.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That's up there with FATAL on the list of things I never want to see posted about again.

• LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    So, at the behest of Matt Colville, I've procured a copy of Dark Tower, an AD&D module by the Judge's Guild. So far, it's, uh, interesting.

Was this in a 'this is awesome and you should check it out' kinda way, or a 'this is terribad'?

Because a quick google seems to suggest it's a pretty popular module and seems like it's pretty well loved.

Lezta on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    AD&D meaning old or is this somehow recent?

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just read the spoiled Dark Tower info. Wow. Just wow.
    That poison dagger does 4D8?!?

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    captaink wrote: »
    AD&D meaning old or is this somehow recent?

AD&D means Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, the version of the game that was published between 1977-1979. This particular adventure was published in 1980.

Assuran on
    Lezta wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

Was this in a 'this is awesome and you should check it out' kinda way, or a 'this is terribad'?

Because a quick google seems to suggest it's a pretty popular module and seems like it's pretty well loved.

He mentioned Paul Jaquays as a good designer regarding adventures with multiple possible endings. 60% chance of harassment lawsuits aside, I didn't particularly see anything terribly interesting in the book.

There's a village surrounding a temple to a LG god that was attacked by a CE god. The attack rendered all the inhabitants of the town to not age as long as they do not leave the village. They prey on caravans and adventurers who stop there due to terrible weather in the area. Inside the temple are a mix of paladin ghosts and evil cultists, as well as three gems, one of Law, Chaos, and Neutrality. Each gem is a powerful artifact that tries to get the player to destroy the other gems, causing the remaining gem to banish itself (not to mention the 20% chance of causing your character to 'go insane' as the gem leaves you).

Aside from that, it's a fairly generic dungeon crawl featuring a number of traps that would likely TPK any party I've ever played with. There's a giant boulder that rolls around a circular room, which has has a permanent Silence spell cast upon it. If the players don't succeed on a search for traps, they have six seconds (real life time) to tell you how they avoid certain death, or they die, certainly. The book even gives you a list of correct answers, with the 'best' answers taking reduced damage.

The book does have a host of good names.

THE TOMB OF RACOX
    THE LAIR OF XOR THE EVIL ONE
    HERE REIGNS PNESSUTT, SCION OF EVIL, PRINCE OF DARK DEEDS, IN DEATH YET LIVING
    TREASURE VAULT OF KONAH THE DISSENTER
    THE LAIR OF SHADROCK THE ENCHANTER
    SNURGI HELLSTROM, FIRE GIANT
    ARGUN THE CONFLAGRATOR, ANCIENT RED DRAGON
    MORDRED THE DRUID with BULTITUDE THE BEAR and WISEFOOT THE WOLF
    HAFFRUNG HELLEYES as a proto-lich, who "lost his body in a mishap" and uses Magic Jar to switch between bodies of different adventurers he's captured.
    SPIRIT NAGAS Harshaha and Ishping Waha

"Determine individual guards on the following chart. Roll on a d6 (see room 3-16 for specifications of guards).
    1) Argol Bargol Burt: 7th level fighter, AC: 2, HP: 52, Broadsword.
    2) Tarshigid Farreacher: 6th level fighter, AC: 2, HP: 59, +1 axe.
    3) Mellon Half-Elven: 6th level fighter, AC: -2, HP: 43, gauntlets of dexterity +2, longsword.
    4) Halphed Bloodgusher: 9th level fighter, AC: 2, HP: 50, Broadsword.
    5) Tirian of Asalbar: 9th level fighter, AC: 2, HP: 57, Longsword.
    6) Oph: 7th level fighter, AC: -2, HP.- 56, Bastard Sword (There is a 50% chance that Oph's pet dire wolf, Fang, will be with him. Fang is AC: 6, HD: 3+3, HP: 25, Damage: 2 - 8)."

Funny thing that I might actually steal for my game:
    ROOM OF THE MIGHTY SAM: A giant, living, intelligent stone statue. He is 11 feet tall and wears knickers, pointy-toed shoes, an ornate vest, fancy shirt and a red pillbox hat. He carries a large broom. He will require a 16+ to hit any armor class. Magic armor will be deduct two points of damage per plus (see below for damage). Sam was once a frost giant, who as he lay dying, begged the god, Set, to save him. Set transferred the giant's spirit to a stone statue of humiliating appearance, with the promise that the statue would become flesh and blood titan if he delivered Mitra's belt to the evil god. Sam now collects the belts from all travelers he encounters. He will wizard lock all doors to the room if any enter (as a level 12 magic user) and demand all the belts on the adventurers. He will then give each character a new belt out of the portable hole that is his hat. He has 30 belts. 3 are magical.

Apparently there's three different revisions of the book. I imagine they've probably been sanitized, and may be more readable.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Old adventures are full of traps that are either instant death or do so much damage it might was well be instant death.

A friend has another old adventure theory; he checks every fireplace for treasure. He's convinced if an older adventure module has a fireplace there is something good in it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Old adventures are full of traps that are either instant death or do so much damage it might was well be instant death.

A friend has another old adventure theory; he checks every fireplace for treasure. He's convinced if an older adventure module has a fireplace there is something good in it.

I'm using this

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Ken O wrote: »

Yeah, oldschool adventures loved hiding little bundles of coins up chimneys. Other common ones to look out for are:

- If a town has one well, it's just a well. If a town has two wells, one of them has a treasure cave. But if a town has three or more wells, they're all just wells again unless one has mysteriously gone dry or turned to blood or something.
    - If a building interior is described with a dirt floor, and that is not a common feature of most structures in that community, there is some money buried under it. You are meant to feel bad about excavating it though, because damn buddy, these people are poor.
    - The amount of verbiage devoted to the latrines is directly proportionate to the likelihood someone has stashed something down the hole, hopefully in a waterproof sack.
    - If any farm animals are noted as being ill tempered enough that they have combat stats listed in the adventure, instead of just referring to the Monster Manual, there's something buried under their pen.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Chimneys are handy for hiding things because of the bend just after the fireplace that keeps the rain out

Apart from the fact that everybody knows that they're a good hiding place

It's a bit like hiding your wall safe behind a painting

Other good hiding places include inside a cow, because if I've learned anything from vet TV shows if you have a cow you're going to send a lot of time rooting around inside it so you won't look suspicious

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Denada

*fingersnaps*

• ozone275ozone275 Registered User regular
    so tuesdays sessions are getting very interesting for my group

so last week my group triggered a trap that released a gas that when failing their con save (DC 10) they fall into a deep sleep for 5000 years and they must make this check every round until they either leave the room or fail the save. they then started a fight with a vampire spawn and everyone but our halfling rogue, over the course of a few rounds, failed their save. the rogue then proceeded to kite the vampire around the dungeon (along with every other creature he ran into) and eventually fell

this week was 5000 years later as the party decided to just continue their characters instead of new ones (i let them choose and it was unanimous) they woke up to find most of their stuff gone (gold, magic items, etc but i let them keep their mundane stuff) and continue on making a trip around the dungeon. nothing really happened much of note, except for the dragonborn paladin having a statue fall on him to laughter by the rest of the group, until we get to the room we left off in. the room has a large pool taking up most of the room and the door is on the otherside of the room but it in the pool (bottom 6-8 inches of the door is submerged in the pool) the paladin has a problem with swimming cause heavy armor but finally goes for it upon realizing it is the only way to continue the dungeon. in the pool is a Nereid which then tries to take the paladin down with her (luck of the dice) as well as a giant lightening eel and i tell them to roll initiative. i brought a couple of the players to unconscious and making death saves but only 1 was unfortunate enough to fail and die, my assimar warlock. so he will have a new character next week and also means only one person in the group is playing the same character they started off with in February

i will say though 5000 years means what i had planned for the final battle when we wrap this season up next month is now even better, that story i will be posting here so stay tuned for that

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Why didn't the vampires bite/kill them while they slept?

steam_sig.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    running my 2nd session of 5th ed on Friday

probably going to finish the introductory stuff I made up and get into Princes of the Apocalypse proper (the book claiming its for characters starting at level 1 is full of shit, it only has some lame filler suggestions for what to do until the players are 3rd level)

feeling a bit of dread at the prospect of
    1) the increased amount of work 5th requires from the DM to make its systems interesting compared to 4th
    2) how fucking bland the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure turned out to be. This is no Keep on the Shadowfell or Seekers of the Ashen Crown. But I'm $50 into that book and am going to salvage something out of it damnit!

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited August 2017
    something PoA reminded me of a lot but is very common in most D&D settings: Any time an adventure or campaign book mentioned a length of time just divide it by 10. EG: when it says "1000 years" it means "100 years".

People today just massively overestimate how long ruins survive intact, how long history is preserved and how long oral traditions can keep accurate information about a subject. In an oral tradition even 250 years is enough to completely obliterate nearly 100% of the factual content. At best some themes hang on here and there and maybe a few bits of poetry (prose doesn't last nearly as long). Things that seem like they might have a "kernel of truth" to them are just as likely to be etiology or people extrapolating present day circumstances backwards. Even with writing, 500 years is enough to erase all memory of an entire civilization if it ends suddenly (eg: Hittites after the late bronze age).

In the early 1100s Geoffrey of Monmouth, who was for his time extremely well educated and literate, could write about King Arthur defeating the Romans and ruling an empire that spread out from Britain across most of Europe. Supposedly this would have been five or six hundred years before his own time (there were some people even in the late 1100s who thought Geoffrey was full of shit but his writing was still extremely popular and widely copied)

edit: another example: by time of Middle Kingdom Egypt, despite having monuments and some writing to refer to, they had already forgotten pretty much any information about the 1st and 2nd dynasties (even the lists of names of kings are inconsistent or incomplete). Some of the early tombs were later reused as the burial place of Osiris (who was not a Thing in early old kingdom in the first place, and especially at abydos it was a different falcon god who was worshiped at that time).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Elves reach adulthood at 100. History is unreliable but when some people live for 5-10x longer than the average human it can get extended somewhat?

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

And after 5000 years, do they have flying cars yet? :)

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    In the midst of my more "serious" campaign, I'm going to be using White Plume Mountain this weekend (with the weapons switched out for campaign appropriate pieces) as what the party decided to tackle next revolves around the backstory of a player who is missing the session.

I've got 2 newer players (one started playing a couple months ago, my wife who has only played for a year) and have warned them this is not like my dungeons at all.

I thought it was great idea at the time, but now I'm starting to rethink it.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

And after 5000 years, do they have flying cars yet? :)

And do they have like three hundred new friends who have also stumbled into the same "sleep for 5000 years" trap over the course of the next 50 years?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Anyone have opinions on the UA Hexblade patron of the Warlock class? They look really interesting from a RP and playstyle point of view, having a (possibly cursed) sentient blade granting them their powers.

tzeentchling on
    anyone have suggestions for how to run a situation where the party is caught out in a sudden (and unnatural) blizzard? In a way that give the players some agency to either help or hurt their situation rather than some straight die rolls / skill checks.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited August 2017
    anyone have suggestions for how to run a situation where the party is caught out in a sudden (and unnatural) blizzard? In a way that give the players some agency to either help or hurt their situation rather than some straight die rolls / skill checks.

GMtips had a bit on keeping the pace that could be applied to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxwWuw5lnxs It kind of depends on what you're going for.

My first thought* was that their shelter has a hidden passage or cache and they can figure out a way to reach that, but it requires going outside (to find a hidden switch, or to get tools from a shed). It would provide an obvious situation where there's a risk vs reward.

--
    *actually my first thought was Hateful 8, but I guess you don't want your complete party and some random NPCs to all kill each other in one session.

Aldo on
    Anyone have opinions on the UA Hexblade patron of the Warlock class? They look really interesting from a RP and playstyle point of view, having a (possibly cursed) sentient blade granting them their powers.

From a power standpoint, I don't think Pact of the Hexblade warlocks are going to outdamage a standard Fiendlock spamming Eldritch Blast. Not unless you get a second attack somehow.

All in all, a Warlock's power is based on how often your DM lets you short rest. I don't think Hexblade is too far out of line compared to other options.

So, what creatures have vulnerabilities in the Monster Manual or in Volo's for that matter?
    Because a lot that I would have thought were likely, don't. I mean, I figured Vampires would have Radiant damage as a vulnerability. Or dryads having fire made sense to me.
    Lotta resistance to assorted damage types, but so few with actual vulnerability.

So far, the only one I've found is the Earth Elemental, with thunder.

This discussion has been closed.