As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Shouldn't we talk about the weather?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Highest marginal in Ontario is actually 53.5% after the surtax

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Highest marginal in Ontario is actually 53.5% after the surtax

Sorry. You're right. 45.3% is the highest non-eligible dividend tax rate.

Not that I totally know what that means..........

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I'm a doctor. Doctor's billing fees have been fairly stagnant for about a decade. In lieu of pay raises, some governments have encouraged doctors to incorporate and save on taxes. Now they are planning to do away with that possibility. You can understand why many are pissed- it seems like bad faith to encourage use of tax loopholes instead of increasing pay with inflation, and then get rid of them when it's not convenient. It's basically a non-negotiable pay cut made outside the usual contract negotiations, and for some, will amount to over 10-20,000 lost. If this were happening to a big union it would be considered very anti-labour.

I do feel that we are over paid, however, and am not one of those complaining.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I'm a doctor. Doctor's billing fees have been fairly stagnant for about a decade. In lieu of pay raises, some governments have encouraged doctors to incorporate and save on taxes. Now they are planning to do away with that possibility. You can understand why many are pissed- it seems like bad faith to encourage use of tax loopholes instead of increasing pay with inflation, and then get rid of them when it's not convenient. It's basically a non-negotiable pay cut made outside the usual contract negotiations, and for some, will amount to over 10-20,000 lost. If this were happening to a big union it would be considered very anti-labour.

I dunno about doctors' fees and such. I've been following the OMA thing, but it's pretty opaque because they keep fighting the Toronto Star on releasing fee information, and it'd be very hard anyways to determine who's being overpaid or who's not.

I don't think it's bad faith though on anybody's part, because it's two separate governments. The feds are closing the tax loophole. Doctors' fees are provincial. Ontario doctors, in particular, can immediately re-negotiate based on the change; doctors in other provinces might have to wait out their current contracts, or maybe there might be some bridging funds or whatever.

hippofant on
  • laservisioncatlaservisioncat Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »

I'm pretty sympathetic to that argument, and I get why the OMA has to lobby against this: they're an advocacy group after all. I just don't think that having tax loopholes is particularly good policy.

Like, the argument I see thrown around is that this helps doctors in struggling clinics with high overhead, but I really don't see how since it only increases take-home pay and long term investment, not directly contributing to upkeep costs. I don't really like the fear mongering of "THIS WILL RUIN YOUR HEALTH-CARE". If we wanted policy to help with clinic overhead, this isn't how I'd write it. I'd rather that money go to doctor pay directly instead of a janky system where you're compensated for how many dependants you have and get better retirement savings.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So, should we talk about the alt-right rising up in Canada?

At least in Québec City it's been in the news a lot. First of course with the mosque shooting a few months ago, then the racist backlash against Muslims having a cemetery in town (which ended positively when the city sold them a cemetery lot), groups like La Meute organizing hate rallies, two Québécois going to the Charlotteville rally, and earlier this week hate group Atalante placing illegal signs around town demanding deportation of immigrants.

How can we fight against this?

sig.gif
  • ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

At least in Québec City it's been in the news a lot. First of course with the mosque shooting a few months ago, then the racist backlash against Muslims having a cemetery in town (which ended positively when the city sold them a cemetery lot), groups like La Meute organizing hate rallies, two Québécois going to the Charlotteville rally, and earlier this week hate group Atalante placing illegal signs around town demanding deportation of immigrants.

I know the feds should be forcing the provinces to be united on it. How is Quebec allowed to pull this shit?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/bill-62-identity-politics-muslim-burqa-1.4250417

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

I know the feds should be forcing the provinces to be united on it. How is Quebec allowed to pull this shit?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/bill-62-identity-politics-muslim-burqa-1.4250417

Yo what the fuck, Quebec??

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Quebec, especially rural Quebec, seems to follow Grandmere France's lead. Most likely it's due to the province's constant paranoia that their culture is on the cusp of being obliterated.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Quebec, especially rural Quebec, seems to follow Grandmere France's lead. Most likely it's due to the province's constant paranoia that their culture is on the cusp of being obliterated.

Also, Quebec is racist as fuck.

PSN: Canadian_llama

That's impressively tone-deaf. Like the Liberals didn't learn anything about the PQ's Charter of Values and the subsequent electoral backlash they suffered.

sig.gif
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

That's impressively tone-deaf. Like the Liberals didn't learn anything about the PQ's Charter of Values and the subsequent electoral backlash they suffered.

Because of how broad it was... This target's Burkas and as we know there is nothing the french enjoy more then making then banning those.. It's the politically correct way of being racist.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
    Disco11 wrote: »

Because of how broad it was... This target's Burkas and as we know there is nothing the french enjoy more then making then banning those.. It's the politically correct way of being racist.

Not really... the PQ Charter was presented as broad, but the intent was transparently to ban burkas. There was no one who thought crucifixes were a target, no matter what their little graphic on the cover showed.

sig.gif
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Parts of / some folks in Quebec are hella racist and it seems to be tied to culture alot more than something base like "I don't like brown people." not that it makes it any better but seems like a different take.

How do we solve it?
    Keep on keeping on. Spread love when you can and call out racism when you see it.

Human's are still pretty awful deep down and it's gonna take conscious effort to be better for the foreseeable future imo.

I don't think there's any magic bullet except education.

Did we already talk about Michael Chong not being as odious as his colleagues?
    He's refusing to go on the rebel or be interviewed by them forever more.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Parts of / some folks in Quebec are hella racist and it seems to be tied to culture alot more than something base like "I don't like brown people." not that it makes it any better but seems like a different take.

How do we solve it?
    Keep on keeping on. Spread love when you can and call out racism when you see it.

Human's are still pretty awful deep down and it's gonna take conscious effort to be better for the foreseeable future imo.

Political action to keep this new "charter of values" from becoming law would also be very useful.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited August 2017

How do we solve it?

Political action to keep this new "charter of values" from becoming law would also be very useful.

Edit: I am dumb.

Aridhol on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

The Rebel as a whole seems to be imploding following the events in Charlottesville. Good riddance, I say.

The Rebel as a whole seems to be imploding following the events in Charlottesville. Good riddance, I say.

How so? All I heard was that one or two of their people were in the rally, after which they issued a statement saying they did not support Nazi or the alt-right and their people were only covering the events not participating in them and both sides are the same.

sig.gif
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

How so? All I heard was that one or two of their people were in the rally, after which they issued a statement saying they did not support Nazi or the alt-right and their people were only covering the events not participating in them and both sides are the same.

Well, aside from Michael Chong, numerous past contributors including the National Post's Barbara Kay have said they'll no longer be associated with it. Gavin McInnes is on his way out according to Canadaland. And now another former contributor is accusing the Rebel of ripping off its viewers.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    McInnes leaving is kind of funny, because he is in no way better than what he's leaving behind.

If anything this is like a band's guitarist leaving them so that he can go full-time fronting his own band, the Proud Boys. He just wants out of Levant's oversight.

Their Rebel Cruise was also cancelled, which is hilarious

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Finding it hard to credibly believe these distancings, when they're apparently perfectly fine associating with the The Rebel while it's owned and run by a racist and serial libeler. Levant broadcast an anti-Romani broadcast just five years ago, and they're surprised that people at the Rebel are supportive of Neo-Nazis?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Finding it hard to credibly believe these distancings, when they're apparently perfectly fine associating with the The Rebel while it's owned and run by a racist and serial libeler. Levant broadcast an anti-Romani broadcast just five years ago, and they're surprised that people at the Rebel are supportive of Neo-Nazis?

Turns out not every klan member is comfortable taking off the hood for the world to see

Oh, the hypocrisy on display is completely obvious, and people absolutely should ask why these commentators and supporters were okay with everything up to this. It's bullshit on every level, and I'm glad the foundation is starting to crumble.

Here's a great piece outlining what I'm getting at: Conservatives Finally Ditching The Rebel Have a Lot to Answer For

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

More more accurately, rural Québec is racist as fuck, and use the legitimate defence of Québec culture as an excuse to be racist as fuck.
    It's the classical "use something grounded on truth as cover to push something hideous" trick used by xenophobes of all countries.

As for how we fight it, we do it the usual ways.
    We use whatever laws are available to throw the racists in jail, fine them and makes it clear to children and influenceable people of all ages that this shit does not fly.
    We push on local governments to push against those kind of racist laws.
    We insult Jean-François Lisée and invite le Front National to all meetings of the PQ. For some reason, the PQ leadership thinks that being associated with the FN is bad, even if they push the same shit.
    We protest, and we don't vote for parties that pass or seriously consider those laws.

Meaning I'm down to one acceptable party, and I'm now 100% convinced that Montréal should be independent from Québec.
    Coderre is not an especially good mayor, but at least he's not a racist fuck. Now, I can't even say that of Couillard.

Lol, the hits keep coming for Ezra: Rebel Media received foreign funding from an anti-Mulsim think tank

Get fucked, you clown

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

More more accurately, rural Québec is racist as fuck, and use the legitimate defence of Québec culture as an excuse to be racist as fuck.
    It's the classical "use something grounded on truth as cover to push something hideous" trick used by xenophobes of all countries.

We use whatever laws are available to throw the racists in jail, fine them and makes it clear to children and influenceable people of all ages that this shit does not fly.
    We insult Jean-François Lisée and invite le Front National to all meetings of the PQ. For some reason, the PQ leadership thinks that being associated with the FN is bad, even if they push the same shit.
    We protest, and we don't vote for parties that pass or seriously consider those laws.

Meaning I'm down to one acceptable party, and I'm now 100% convinced that Montréal should be independent from Québec.
    Coderre is not an especially good mayor, but at least he's not a racist fuck. Now, I can't even say that of Couillard.

Is it Quebec Solidaire?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Is it Quebec Solidaire?

Yes, and even then it's only the lesser evil; they are still a sovereignist party. So, in practice, I'm down to voting strategically for a minority government, which should limit the damage, or vote for one of the literal communist parties, to cancel my vote and make someone happy.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

That specific organization may be, sure, but the various wannabe-Goebbelses in it aren't going to keep quiet. A month or two from now everyone who's fleeing that sinking ship will have either attached themselves to some similarly odious cause, or formed one of their own; McInnes will still have that wannabe militia of his; the list goes on. If it shuts down tomorrow, they're all still there, audiences and all. They'll just be using different megaphones.

On which note I'm on the LPC mailing list and just got one from them (subject title: "Alt-Wrong"). It's pointing out how interesting it is that the Leader of the Opposition, whose campaign manager is on the board of directors of The Rebel, a site one of whose popular correspondents was chirpily going on about "the JQ" during the auto attack in Virginia, has been curiously quiet about, well, the last several days in general and the Canadian chapter of that general tumor in particular...

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Oh, the hypocrisy on display is completely obvious, and people absolutely should ask why these commentators and supporters were okay with everything up to this. It's bullshit on every level, and I'm glad the foundation is starting to crumble.

Here's a great piece outlining what I'm getting at: Conservatives Finally Ditching The Rebel Have a Lot to Answer For

Oh absolutely but let's, like, not say this too loud until they've actually killed that piece of shit site. Priorities and all.

Is it Quebec Solidaire?

We'll need to have a good election chat when the next election comes around (which should be soon, seeing how funding for everything is increasing), because I'm honestly at a loss as to who to vote for. The Liberals are horrible disguised-conservatives running a massive deficit while cutting funding across the board and killing all our social programs, and also are racists. The PQ are disorganized incompetent racists and also sovereignists, but historically they can run social programs (hell yeah $5 daycare!) and I believe they promised not to hold yet another referendum in their next mandate. The CAQ are racists and also conservatives. The Québec Solidaire are sovereingists with their heads in the clouds, and also guaranteed never to form a government or even a real opposition. Everyone else after that are just sovereignists with their heads so far up their asses they refuse to join another sovereignist party. I literally have no one to vote for now.

sig.gif
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Is it Quebec Solidaire?

We'll need to have a good election chat when the next election comes around (which should be soon, seeing how funding for everything is increasing), because I'm honestly at a loss as to who to vote for. The Liberals are horrible disguised-conservatives running a massive deficit while cutting funding across the board and killing all our social programs, and also are racists. The PQ are disorganized incompetent racists and also sovereignists, but historically they can run social programs (hell yeah $5 daycare!) and I believe they promised not to hold yet another referendum in their next mandate. The CAQ are racists and also conservatives. The Québec Solidaire are sovereingists with their heads in the clouds, and also guaranteed never to form a government or even a real opposition. Everyone else after that are just sovereignists with their heads so far up their asses they refuse to join another sovereignist party. I literally have no one to vote for now.

Can the PQ still run social programs, or have all the people who could left the party?

Personally, I'd like to see QS try things, but really, I want a federalist left-leaning party.

Children's rights are human rights.
    I love how confused The Rebel's fans are. "Why? Why is this happening? Why do I not know why?"

That said, wow; she's one of the most popular people they still had, if I recall. Also the most openly fascistic. I'm sure that's a coincidence.

Speaking of the fun with The Rebel domestically, the Alberta NDP called today upon the UCP leadership candidates to denounce the organization for, well, most of what it's had to say for the last while.

Brian Jean issued a vague half-statement about being "concerned with the editorial content" and the sanctity of the media, and Jason Kenny went on this huffy, outraged how-dare-you rant about McCarthyism.

So hey, at least overall we're consistent with our neighbors to the south about this stuff.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I can't say I've ever even heard of the rebel. /shrug

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I can't say I've ever even heard of the rebel. /shrug

It's basicaly Canadian Breitbart and has the profile that had in the US like 8 years ago. You gotta know people really into the conservative infosphere to be aware of it. Mostly because they'll link you bullshit from it.

Either that, or have any sort of familiarity with the Canadian media landscape. Ezra Levant started the Rebel as an alternative to what he saw as liberal bias in mainstream media (heh) following a career at Sun Media, which sorta tells you everything you need to know. What started as a right-wing blog offering an alternative to "liberal bias" slowly turned into what Shryke said: Canada's own Breitbart, and one of the primary voices for the alt-right.

To say nothing of a major one for the "normal" right. Most of the CPC leadership candidates sure were giving them disproportionate amounts of time and attention during the campaign, for instance, and several people in said campaign - including Scheer - had Rebel employees on their campaign teams directly.

This discussion has been closed.