As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gencon turns 50 this year.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Generally, generic tickets are... well, generic. You usually use however many tickets it'd take to meet whatever the ticket cost of the event would be. (So if a event was $14, you would need 7.) Although in events with player caps, players who actually *have* the normal tickets for the event get priority. Events usually let generics take the slot in case of no-shows through.

Un-used generic tickets at the end of the show you can turn in for a refund in system credit for next year.

In regards to arcades, I don't know about outside the convention center, but there's usually a on-site one built over on the Hoosier Concourse. And they usually have in a nearby room a LAN center set up for more PC/console stuff.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There are video game related events going on throughout the weekend in the afforementioned mentioned room. I haven't actually played in anything there though. There is a variety of stuff but was sorta small. I'm not aware of any indianapolis specific arcades.

I wanted to try some of the injustice events but I don't think it's going to happen.

My wife and I are going to try and get the expansion for the Harry Potter deckbuilder. The base sold out relatively early last year so I'd expect this one will too. Ultimately it.will be available at retail so I'm not hugely concerned.

WingedWeasel on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's definitely some computer gaming stuff going on. I know because I looked up Diablo while I was just punching random keywords into the search, and it came up with a bunch of them to pay ($10?) to play Diablo 3 on PCs at the con.

Which, I guess if you have to get that fix or want to kill a couple of hours with something familiar, that's cool, but I can do that any day at home without having to pay extra, so it's not an event I plan to participate in.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Looks like there is a game room where you can pay some bucks to play all sorts of computer games both already released and upcoming stuff.

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    See you guys at gencon!!!

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ronin356 wrote: »
    See you guys at gencon!!!

I so can't focus. I'm gonna be arriving late and hopefully getting up early to get into the things I want. Well maybe.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Today should be a blow off work day but alas everyone wants something done today. Don't they know it's Gencon tomorrow!?

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I skipped last year because my son was only a few months old at the time, after regularly attending for 6 years straight. Going to be really good to go back. I forever associate Indy with Gencon, and every time I'm downtown for a weekend trip or something and the con isn't going on, I can't help but get that feeling like being in a mall or work after everyone else has left and the lights are out.
    I was going to try and get checked into my hotel early but I've got some friends hitching a ride with me that need to pick up their marriage license for their wedding the following weekend or something unimportant like that, so late afternoon it is.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Once I arrive I'll be posting selfies and pics and such if people want to stop by and say hi. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I think first order of business for the group I'll be with is the Sun King tent for the uncasking and once we have some beer in us, going to will-call to pick up our badges. Should be more tolerable that way.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Plus side given apparently they are sold out there won't be any lines for people buying tickets just people picking up so will call in theory should go pretty smoothly this year.

kaid wrote: »
    Plus side given apparently they are sold out there won't be any lines for people buying tickets just people picking up so will call in theory should go pretty smoothly this year.

*snerk*

In my experience will-call is a shitshow if you go the day the con starts. If you go Wednesday, especially in the evening, the lines tend to be fairly quick. Also theoretically they can devote all the support booths to pickup and not worry about setting up for purchasing badges.

I need to buy a whole bunch of generic tickets, so that's the main thing I'm worried about.

Athenor wrote: »
    I need to buy a whole bunch of generic tickets, so that's the main thing I'm worried about.

last year they were available throughout the entire event and basically in each major hall. i picked up a bunch in the CCG hall on saturday

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, don't buy generics at will call. Getting them further in was much faster last year.

Thanks for the advice.

My last, best hope, is to get into the L5R tourneys with generics.

That, or beg friends at FFG. :)

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In my experience will-call is a shitshow if you go the day the con starts. If you go Wednesday, especially in the evening, the lines tend to be fairly quick. Also theoretically they can devote all the support booths to pickup and not worry about setting up for purchasing badges.

In 2015, my friends and I drove a good 9 hours to get to the convention on the Wednesday, found parking, and lined up for our badges. The lineup was, I dunno, like a mile long. That may seem like hyperbole, but if it was less than half a mile I'd be shocked.

*However*! The line also moved very quickly, so while it was one of the longest lines I've ever stood in, it also had us covered and heading back out within maybe an hour. This was probably around 6pm?

I'm told going in the actual evening is even better, but have no experience personally to back that up. Luckily, I'm near the convention center rather than half an hour away by car, so it won't be a problem to just abort an attempt if things look ugly this time around.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Okay! All packed. Trying to stay light.

I am hoping as a side thing to get into an Arkham Horror LCG event, but they sold out pretty quickly too. But just in case, I'm bringing my starter deck and some basic tokens.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is generic tickets cash only?

Also, I'm not going to spend $1000 on board games.

I SWEAR THAT I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND $1000 ON BOARD GAMES!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    You can use credit cards to get generic tickets. And will call is open 24/7 starting tomorrow, so go as late as you can/want to avoid lines.

Ketar wrote: »
    You can use credit cards to get generic tickets. And will call is open 24/7 starting tomorrow, so go as late as you can/want to avoid lines.

i didn't know it was open 24/7 but if that is the case i'm definitely waiting until the end of the day unless another opportunity presents itself

Indy I am here!

bbfgipUh.jpg

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    6t1eewo47jaq.jpg

Me, too!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Will call was literally no line last night. No swag again this year, just a lame coupon book. I miss the days of getting nice bags and also swag in those bags. My first year they had Magic decks and some retail boxed copy of some MMO that went f2p the following year. This is the 50th, guys!

Will call lines are fast. But holy shit traffic was bad this year

If anyone wants the HP deckbuilder expansion, apparently they are selling 150 each day. It is by the K door and it is also up at online retail already but promos are only available here on site

I am number 60 in the wait list for l5r, because I was stupid and tried to hit up the vendor hall first... And failed.

I am breaking all the con rules. No sleep, little food...

edited August 2017
    HcO0JTJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high
    Having a sit-down so my preggo wife can rest her back and feet!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I told myself to get one boardgame. Just one. Just freaking one.

Turns it is would be kingdom death monster

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I wasn't planning on spending anything today. I spent 150 dollars in the first hour. Cons man.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The biggest thing I picked up so far was a Wyrmwood deck box, since I wanted a second for my L5R stuff.

Oh my god their gaming table is drool-worthy.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I've not bought anything yet. I have some squirreled away FFG tickets (not L5R :( ) but.. yeah. I just couldn't handle the conference hall. I kinda deliberately hid from the event hall closing. I'll try again tomorrow.

edited August 2017
    I tried to buy Tales from the Loop, but it's held up in customs (?!). I bought Coriolis, and am about to go check out a Starfinder demo...thing? In the Sagamore? We barely did anything all told today other than a little shopping and gathering freebies from the coupon book. We did play some Dead of Winter in the game library, which was weird because we kinda could play that any time, but it's always a fun game, so not complaining.
    Edit: Got there too late, line is two hours and I have to move my car by ten. Trying again tomorrow!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
    Oh my goood I am in my 30s and it's starting to catch up to me. My wife and I had dinner and headed back to the hotel while my brother and his wife, whom we are sharing a room with, went to the nerd-burlesque. They really enjoy it, and it can be entertaining, but isn't really my thing.
    As soon as we get to the hotel I realized my knee aches, I can barely keep my eyes open, and I dread my brother calling me to come pick them up because I really don't want to put pants on and drive twenty minutes both ways.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    My only purchase so far is Sheep & Thief. I had not heard of it before, but got a demo and was smitten. It is a nice combination of drafting and tile placement, with just a splash of "take that" to keep the interaction going. Loved it.

I also sold a bunch of copies of Stroop! Come see me demoing at booth 2110 between 2 and 4 any day. Mention you're from PA and get a treat!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Waking up at 5 am because that's my normal work schedule yesterday and today was my "getting old" moment. That and going through the dealer hall and not feeling much compulsion to buy everything. That isn't to say there aren't great games there this year, just a soft resigned sigh knowing there just aren't enough hours.

I don't know it's age or in past due on fixing my knee but 10 hours of walking did it no favors. Time for robo knee.

Man. Cardhalla is much smaller this year than the last time I was here. You can really feel the absence of magic tournaments... And it also makes me wonder just how much useless paper lands are in landfills.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It was great meeting you today, @Ketar!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1