As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2017 Forum Badge

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    BLaZuRE wrote: »
    Small detail, but could we make the barcode an easter egg of the date, e.g. 0 20170 90104 0

Brilliant idea! Consider it done.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    @vid Thank you so much for the constructive feedback! I am not a graphic designer or type setter so assistance with key visual aspects of the badge is hugely valued. Here are my responses to each point:

1. Aliasing on the bottom of the cut-in will result in some funky jaggies when printed. Give it a nice clean cut!

I shall try and tidy it up.

2. A chunkier font for the 'Forum Badge' text will give it some character and add to that retro game box feeling.

This font is the one used on NES boxes believe it or not. I shall see if I can fill it out without undermining the overall vision.

3. The 'racetrack' logos could stand a little bit of realignment. The 'PAX Line' on the back is very well done, but could maybe be brought inward a little bit so that the 'P' and 'e' have room to breathe. Both instances of 'PA Forums' look solid, but could use a gentle bump to the right for the sake of centering.

I shall tweak these further as you suggest, but I do not want to distort the font for the sake of filling the space.

4. 'PAX West 2017 Forum Badge' might feel a bit better if the font style more closely matched that of the match title on the front.

The font used is the official PA one, which I thought was fitting. I shall play around with the font for the title as clearly it's an issue.

5. It might be worth capitalizing the 'b' in PAX West 2017 Forum badge is an arcade game' to further match your design of it being the title of the game.

Agreed!

6. Make sure to eliminate the black edges between the 'screenshots' and the edge of the tube TV outline!

I shall do that. I shall also work on the pixel filter for the images.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback to my feedback! I'm pretty excited about the whole thing, and if there's anything I can do to help out, don't hesitate to ask!

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yay for forum badges. Thanks as always for doing this.

• Options
    lbrumbaughlbrumbaugh Registered User new member
    I'd like to get in on this as well if possible. This is my first PAX, so excited to get all the swag I can get :) How do we actually go about getting the badge once it's completed?

• Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Love me some forum badge, You are a wonderful person!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    nil8rnil8r SeattleRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to this year's badge!

--Mel

signature.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    lbrumbaugh wrote: »
    I'd like to get in on this as well if possible. This is my first PAX, so excited to get all the swag I can get :) How do we actually go about getting the badge once it's completed?
    If it's like years past, it will be available at a few pre-pax community events, and then at the byoc desk after noon on Friday. Other instructions about how to get one will be added to this thread.

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    This is my jam for a theme. <3@kropotkin When we officially have PAX emulators.....

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I need to collect up all my past years forum badges..:) shame I missed grabbing them a couple of years just due to no time to hunt one down

• Options
    After @vid made such awesome suggestions I have now edited the forum badge images. Here is the revised front:
    u49hqk4zp7g8.jpg

And here is the revised back:
    nk2e1wyhkcaz.jpg

I think they are a massive improvement when compared to the first version; thanks @vid

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    lovely :)

• Options
    blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    Easter egg barcodes are the best.

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Beautiful! Great work, Krop, I can't wait to see it in person.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    Beautiful! Great work, Krop, I can't wait to see it in person.

Yay! I didn't screw it up!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Love it!

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Awesome!

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Looks awesome, can't wait to see it in person! Thanks again for doing this.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    NyanNhanNyanNhan Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    After @vid made such awesome suggestions I have now edited the forum badge images. Here is the revised front:
    u49hqk4zp7g8.jpg

And here is the revised back:
    nk2e1wyhkcaz.jpg

I think they are a massive improvement when compared to the first version; thanks @vid

Very nice work! Looks great!!

• Options
    dragonmammadragonmamma OregonRegistered User regular
    when and how do I get one?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The time has come to reveal how one gets a Forum Badge now that the design is pretty much locked down.

Forum Badge collection will be on Thursday 31st August at the Pre PAX Dinner and the Pre PAX Board Game Night. The badge will be at the front desk of the Pre-PAX Board game night.

If you cannot attend the above social events then you can collect the PAX Forum Badge from the BYOC registration desk from 12pm on Friday 1st September through to 4pm on Monday 4th September. Note that if you do collect the Forum Badge from the BYOC desk you will have to answer ONE question listed below to demonstrate that you are indeed a member of these fine forums. These questions are as follows:
    1) Name ONE unofficial PAX West community event/activity:

* Pre-PAX Dinner
    * Cookie Brigade
    * Pre-PAX/Post PAX Board Game meetup
    * Tri-Wizard Pub Crawl

2) Who made the Forum Badges?

Kropotkin [Pr: KRO-POT-KIN]

3) Do Mike and Jerry read the Penny Arcade forums?

No

4) Name/Handle of a PAX Forum Moderator?

zerzhul

5) What is the theme for the PAX West 2017 forum badge?

NES Cartridge Box

6) What is printed on the back of the forum badge?

List of names of forum members who have contributed to its design.

7) What is written above the PAX Community crest?

Welcome Home

8) There is a group of PAX attendees that give out crunchy and sweet foodstuffs and takes voluntary donations for the Childsplay charity during PAX. What is this group called?

The Cookie Brigade

9) According to the forums, it is a general rule that PAX is most definitely not, under any circumstances a BLANK service. What is the 'blank'?

Dating

10) Name the four colours in the shield of the PAX community crest?

Red, Blue, Orange and Yellow.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If you cannot attend the above social events then you can collect the PAX Forum Badge from the BYOC registration desk from 12pm on Friday 1st September through to 4pm on Monday 4th September. Note that if you do collect the Forum Badge from the BYOC desk you will have to answer ONE question listed below to demonstrate that you are indeed a member of these fine forums. These questions are as follows:

I love the design this year and will likely be hitting up the BYOC desk since I won't be around Thursday/Friday. If you get the question wrong do you get thrown into a pit of lava? Or do you just receive a badge of shame instead?

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    @RiDE I do not know, that's up the Enforcer.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Heh I see you still have that red tinge in the name box. Not sure if that's intentional or not. No matter I look forward to these every year!

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Heh I see you still have that red tinge in the name box. Not sure if that's intentional or not. No matter I look forward to these every year!

Oh I shall fix that, it must be a legacy from an earlier badge. Thanks for pointing it out.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    how late does pre-pax board game run till? Just want to plan accordingly for these!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    helen0rz wrote: »
    how late does pre-pax board game run till? Just want to plan accordingly for these!

I think it goes on into the Witching Hour (3am) so you should be fine.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Aaaaand here it is, the final version of the PAX West 2017 Forum Badge:

Front:
    4hezxo3777yb.jpg

Back:
    djtyqmjlt751.jpg

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who participated in this very community driven and unique endeavour!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Thank you for all the work you did!

• Options
    nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Crap, didn't get a comment posted in time to get on the back. Oh well, it's been a crazy year!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    @RiDE
    RiDE wrote: »

I love the design this year and will likely be hitting up the BYOC desk since I won't be around Thursday/Friday. If you get the question wrong do you get thrown into a pit of lava? Or do you just receive a badge of shame instead?

In my past experience they will ask you a question until you get it correct

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to grab mine! So excited. I love the design! Great work!

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    nixter wrote: »
    Crap, didn't get a comment posted in time to get on the back. Oh well, it's been a crazy year!

Yes you did, your name is near the middle of the cluster.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Have I told you lately that I love you?

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm in the Sheraton this year, will def go grab these at Pre-Pax board game night.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    nixter wrote: »

Yes you did, your name is near the middle of the cluster.

Whoops! Was looking for my other handle. See you Thursday night!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Woot, another one to hang on my wall 'o PAX! :D

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Fabulous as always. See you at board games next week! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Yay my name didn't skipped this year :p thanks kropotkin! <3

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    NyanNhanNyanNhan Registered User regular
    Looking great! Thank you for sharing your image editing skills to the community.
    I'll be sure to pick one up during the pre-pax boardgame night.

This discussion has been closed.