As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodlerA cold placeRegistered User regular
wxgdi8ljvhar.jpg

Okay, so the new Ducktales reboot has premiered, and the consensus seems to be pretty positive. They've only aired the double-length special so far, but I really enjoyed it, the adventure feel is the same as in the original, but with a bit more humor in it. The animation is top notch as well.

Another upgrade over the original; the nephews are no longer three interchangable characters, they've all got their own personalities, but actual likable personalities and not just a bunch of teenage stereotypes like in Quack Pack. Webby and Mrs Beakley have also gotten better characterization. I'm thouroughly enjoying what I've seen so far. I found it interesting how at the start of the episode, Scrooge is retired from adventuring and bored out of his skull with just running his business empire, just like in his original appearance in Christmas On Bear Mountain.

You guys have any thoughts on this show?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    First episode seemed pretty good, I enjoy how the world is often textured to look a bit like a comic strip from a newspaper.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I loved it and so did the boys.

Although both of them are going around now doing horrid Scottish accents and I keep having to remind them that no, I'm the Scrooge McDuck of this household thank ye very much.

Trace on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    An interesting detail is that the new intro uses scenes from the classic Carl Barks paintings too, I thought that was a cool reference, even if most younger fans wont pick up on it.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    woooOOOOOooo

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I LOVED it

I also loved the references to Cape Suzette (Tale Spin), St. Canard (Darkwing Duck), and Spoonerville (Goof Troop). I loved that Max's girlfriend from the Goof Troop movie was in there.

Donald being indecipherable half the time was great. Scrooge was great as was Launchpad.

I'd have personally toned down Dewy's insane recklessness, but eehhh that's the tiniest of things and also the only thing that bugged me.

One of the robots from the old Ducktakes intro was in Scrooges garage =)

it's already been approved for a second season!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed it myself. I thought that I wouldn't be able to get into David Tennant doing the voice since it would sound so different and he so obviously him, but he didn't sound out of place at all. The feel of the show is very different, but I like the way they are handling it so far. Bringing in Glomgold this early is very interesting. I can't wait to see if they bring in Gyro and Gizmoduck later on. The butler is already about to be introduced pretty soon as well.

Makes me wonder if they'll bring back any other Disney afternoon shows. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers would be one I'd really want to see.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it myself. I thought that I wouldn't be able to get into David Tennant doing the voice since it would sound so different and he so obviously him, but he didn't sound out of place at all. The feel of the show is very different, but I like the way they are handling it so far. Bringing in Glomgold this early is very interesting. I can't wait to see if they bring in Gyro and Gizmoduck later on. The butler is already about to be introduced pretty soon as well.

Makes me wonder if they'll bring back any other Disney afternoon shows. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers would be one I'd really want to see.

I could have sworn I caught a reference to gizmoduck, but I may have imagined it

Junior Woodchucks were mentioned which made me pretty happy

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Glomgold's "Treasure is the real treasure!" line as he leaves everyone to drown in Atlantis was my absolute favorite line. Very much all in for this series.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'd have personally toned down Dewy's insanely recklessness, but eehhh that's the tiniest of things and also the only thing that bugged me.

Each of the nephews represents an aspect of Scrooge's personality, but without the other parts to temper it as well. Dewey has his thirst for adventure, but not his experience and wisdom tempering it, which makes him reckless. At the end, he's forced to counterbalance with thoughtfulness, which leads Scrooge to finally accept his potential.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I could have sworn I caught a reference to gizmoduck, but I may have imagined it

Ha, I would be VERY pleased indeed if they just rebooted all the shows I liked from my youth in time for me to watch them with my kids. The Paw Patrol is all well and good, but the Rescue Rangers were a vastly superior team!

I'm also glad to see that they are actually animated rather than CG. CG is all well and good, and I'm sure that these shows actually use tonnes of CG rather than real sketches, but CG often seems to lack 'differentiation' to me. Paw Patrol looks like Blaze looks like new Bob the Builder etc. Animated shows have their own art style which I enjoy figuring out. Those little touches like using the pattern printing on things as if it was a newspaper looking to save on ink.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    @AngelHedgie , I've never been able to tell exactly who was in your avatar, but I always thought it was Spike so

enz1uijllstf.jpg
    [n7m2hmm1z8la.jpg

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    @AngelHedgie , I've never been able to tell exactly who was in your avatar, but I always thought it was Spike so

enz1uijllstf.jpg
    [n7m2hmm1z8la.jpg

this dude:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Waltfeld

73 C.E. not so pretty version

• Options
    oohhh

It's kind of hard to tell from the 64x64 av

still funny though!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Gizmoduck is not only confirmed, he's played by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Gizmoduck is not only confirmed, he's played by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

bless me bagpipes!

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I was wondering if they'd include any of the other comic villains that never appeared in the original show, like John Rockerduck, Soapy Slick or Arpin Lusene. Doesnt look like Rockerduck will appear, but I read theyre going to introduce a new character who fills a similar role, as a more modern type of billionaire rather than a self-made man like Scrooge.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I really loved the hint that other Disney shows like tailspin could be cannon. It's like they are doubling down with the marvel universe idea. Chances Baloo ran a few adventures with scrooge back in the day?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Is this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA
    the theme song of the new show?

Cuz if not, I'm out.

• Options
    I'd be so happy to see other Disney Afternoon shows in DuckTales

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    First episode seemed pretty good, I enjoy how the world is often textured to look a bit like a comic strip from a newspaper.

Yeah. The visuals are what impressed me the most. Like that screenshot that Xaquin posted:
    [n7m2hmm1z8la.jpg

With the intercom on Donald's right... I notice with how the colors don't exactly line up with the black lines, to simulate color-separated halftone printing. And there are simulated halftone dots behind the intercom.

Meanwhile this treatment is only applied to the backgrounds. I didn't notice any color-separation or pseudo-halftone effects with any of the characters. That also gives it a classic Disney multiplane camera feeling.

I also noticed that a lot of the backgrounds in darker scenes (Scrooge's attic or the cave, for instance) have limited color palettes, simulating screen printing. I might be wrong, but it seems like they're not just blindly simulating old techniques, they're playing with them to achieve different moods.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Is this

Cuz if not, I'm out.

It's a faithful cover of the original cartoon theme song.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is this

Cuz if not, I'm out.

It's the old theme updated

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is this

Cuz if not, I'm out.

Alas no. As a sidenote if you listened to the 2013 Remastered Soundtrack if it wasn't for the actual theme you couldn't be blamed for thinking it was.

This is the feem toon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

• Options
    I just realized I may get giddy as hell watching Scrooge McDuck fight Don Carnage on his air ship

like giggling and clapping my hands giddy

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuuck me it's actually good? Where can I watch it if I don't have a TV?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

If you're in the States, the premier is on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Question: I know it first started elsewhere, but do we know why "sharper than the sharpies" became "smarter than the smarties"?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    WACriminal wrote: »

Disney XD put the full first episode on YouTube

https://youtu.be/gP0Neif7Y4E

Edit: beat by See

LostNinja on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Question: I know it first started elsewhere, but do we know why "sharper than the sharpies" became "smarter than the smarties"?

The permanent marker company got in a tizzy I guess?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

They will absolutely bring in Gyro. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3akpxw20fj4

He has his new lab straight under Scrooge's money bin now. He's almost certainly going to be a regular.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is this

Cuz if not, I'm out.

It's the old theme updated

Here's a vid of the openings, side by side (but using the original song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-UceBcMhU

I will agree, this is very well done. Ducktales is ingrained in my brain, and one of my favorites from when I was a kid.

For whatever reason, the line "That dirty rotten polecat McQuack lost us the Battle of Duckridge!" is fused into my memory. Any time someone talks about ducks or quacking that line pops in my head. I have no idea why.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

The permanent marker company got in a tizzy I guess?

I think it had to do a lot with "sharp" falling out of use as a pejorative for cheating.
    At one time, "cardsharp" was a phrase for a person who cheated at cards using deception or slight of hand (whereas "cardshark" was a skilled player who took advantage of less skilled players).
    As I understand it, Scrooge's old boast was saying that he was better at cheating than the cheaters (not so that he could cheat to win, but so he could recognize a cheat before he lost a rigged game) and that he would be tougher than the toughest jobs life could throw at him.

5fuu0o2rhjtt.png

I could be wrong though.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Don't forget we're eventually getting Darkwing Duck in this show too!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Anyone notice the magical genie lamp from the movie sitting in the garage?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bubbas remains are apparently in there too

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Is Bubba one of the 3 stooge antagonist brothers?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Bubba's the cave duck.

h2uTBhcx.jpg

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »

Pretty sure Bubba was the prehistoric cave duck they brought back to the future with them in the old series.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am so happy it is good. So very happy.