As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resignations/Firings From the Increasingly Chaotic White House

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
NY Times story
Stephen K. Bannon, the embattled chief strategist who helped President Trump win the 2016 election but clashed for months with other senior West Wing advisers, is leaving his post, a White House spokeswoman announced Friday.

“White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day,” the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said in a statement. “We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.”

Earlier on Friday, the president had told senior aides that he had decided to remove Mr. Bannon, according to two administration officials briefed on the discussion. But a person close to Mr. Bannon insisted that the parting of ways was his idea, and that he had submitted his resignation to the president on Aug. 7, to be announced at the start of this week. But the move was delayed after the violence in Charlottesville, Va.

The loss of Mr. Bannon, the right-wing nationalist who helped propel some of Mr. Trump’s campaign promises into policy reality, raises the potential for the president to face criticism from the conservative news media base that supported him over the past year.

Mr. Bannon’s many critics bore down after the violence in Charlottesville. Outraged over Mr. Trump’s insistence that “both sides” were to blame for the violence that erupted at a white nationalist rally, leaving one woman dead, human rights activists demanded that the president fire so-called nationalists working in the West Wing. That group of hard-right populists in the White House is led by Mr. Bannon.

The proximate cause could be any of a dozen things. Could be Kelly. More likely is Bannon's interview where he said North Korea's threat to Seoul with conventional weapons meant military options were basically off the table and called his fellow travelers in white supremacy "clowns." That kind of thing punctures the president's ego and makes him very mad.

This means there's one fewer white supremacist in the White House, which is all to the good. Though as the DNC said:
[it] doesn't change the man sitting behind the Resolute desk.

It's unclear what Bannon does next. He might go right back to Breitbart (supposedly to declare war on Trump, but I'll believe that when I see it). There are also rumors that he and the billionaire racist Mercer family will start a new venture.

Discuss!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
So It Goes on

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Is this the thread for the rise and fall of white power shit in "Trump's America," or specifically just for Bannon and yet another shakeup at the White House?

If not, I think there's definitely enough of the Confederate stuff/rallies/counter rallies/etc that another thread to keep up with it would be nice.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just Bannon and if there are further purges. A thread for things like the planned rally in Boston tomorrow would be separate, but since Tube just locked the previous one saying it's run its course, you should definitely PM him first.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm super hesitant to believe what happened to Bannon will cause any kind of further shake up at the white house. Like most likely this was just Trump firing someone for upstaging him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I'm stoked Bannon is no longer in the White House every day. But bummed there are still pretty nasty people left in there.

Also a bit bummed because... while grassroots anger has absolutely turned the pressure up on the Trump admin... honestly their only real enemy at the moment seems to be themselves. (Or to be more specific, Trump)

Like, we've wanted Bannon gone for months with no traction.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I think the real question here is whether it's good that Bannon is gone because he was evil, or whether it's Bad that he's gone because his presence was the best evidence to the uninformed that Trump was evil because Bannons evil is well known and undenied by Bannon himself.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I'm super hesitant to believe what happened to Bannon will cause any kind of further shake up at the white house. Like most likely this was just Trump firing someone for upstaging him.

The interesting thing will be what the white supremacists make of it

Will they turn on trump? Bannon? No one?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I think the real question here is whether it's good that Bannon is gone because he was evil, or whether it's Bad that he's gone because his presence was the best evidence to the uninformed that Trump was evil because Bannons evil is well known and undenied by Bannon himself.

Oh no, plenty of people didn't think Bannon was evil.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Or because Bannon was leaking.

Or because Bannon tended to be a voice *against* random new wars (the alt-right are all "fuck the world" when it comes to international politics: both for evil and good.)

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Where ever it was that said Bannon could influence more people from outside the white house, I think was correct.

He'll go back to spreading garbage information through whatever publication he lands at, while still having a direct line to Trump.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Charlie Spiering works for Brietbart in the White House

Welp, who knows where this goes

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

Pretty sure Trump's post-Charlotte press conference put the final nail in the coffin of how awful Trump himself is.

Or because Bannon was leaking.

Or because Bannon tended to be a voice *against* random new wars (the alt-right are all "fuck the world" when it comes to international politics: both for evil and good.)

Well from what we know he seems to still mostly want to go after Kushner, McMaster, etc... so Trump might have just been sick of the infighting and picked a side.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I saw an interview with bannon earlier this week and knew he was gonna get canned. it was like scarmucci's, very off the cuff and honest.

also, I can't remember who but someone reported that bannon said he quit 2 weeks ago. sounds like pure BS considering trump called him a good man like 2 days ago.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Likely the most significant result of this would be Breitbart turning on Trump; a schism looms and I have my popcorn at the ready.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Breitbart turning on Trump is a really mixed bag. From-the-right is realistically going to be the only way that his hard ~30% base is eroded, but that attack is going to come from the nationalist right and we run the risk of facing a serious and enduring white nationalism movement as a result.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What are the odds that Bannon spent his time with White House access digging into shit that he can turn into material for Breitbart, with the possible inclusion of putting American intel / strategy / lives at risk?

• Options
    Breitbart turning on Trump is a really mixed bag. From-the-right is realistically going to be the only way that his hard ~30% base is eroded, but that attack is going to come from the nationalist right and we run the risk of facing a serious and enduring white nationalism movement as a result.

I mean... we kind of have that already?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Likely the most significant result of this would be Breitbart turning on Trump; a schism looms and I have my popcorn at the ready.

I'm not linking to it because, ha, I'm not linking to it, but the editor of Breitbart California (I think) tweeted just one word

#War

At the time I saw it the tweets directly underneath were

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing!

...and so on. Which went some way towards heartening me.

So far what I'm seeing from the Alt-Right side of the Internet is a lot of spin about how super awesome it is that Bannon has been "unleashed" and how much more he'll be able to do now. I think our only indication on how the man himself feels about all this will come from Breitbart itself, how they report what's happened and how they report on Trump going forward.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Kind of being the important distinction. Obviously the GOP engages in a lot of softly spoken white nationalism, but I worry about a louder and more codified political platform coming forward in the future and I could see it happening here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Next up: Miller, Gorka, and the piece de resistance: Jeffy!

(I can dream people)

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Alright, it's good that there's one less white supremacist in the White House, though that still leaves far too many for my liking, including the one at the top of the operation.

Bannon was definitely one of the major leakers to newspapers, so I wonder how breaking news will develop from now on.

Also, this will turn the news cycle over yet again, which makes what, 4 major turns in a week?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

They aren't going to do that anymore than scarmucci and preibus didn't after being handed their ass. They'll continue to blame liberals and incite racial hatred, which for brietbart is just the usual.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Kind of being the important distinction. Obviously the GOP engages in a lot of softly spoken white nationalism, but I worry about a louder and more codified political platform coming forward in the future and I could see it happening here.

Oh, I see. You mean like a full political movement like the Tea Party but without all the dog whistling?

I personally still have JUST enough faith in humanity that if a Breitbart anti-globalist party formed, I don't think they wouldn't do super well.

Then again, if people hadn't been quite so pissed this week my faith would have been way more shook this week. I wouldn't necessarily want to risk a movement like that sitting around slowly gaining momentum, either. They'd need to be shut down.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Bannon has returned to Breitbart as Executive Chairman. He chaired an Editorial Meeting this afternoon. That was fast.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/08/18/populist-hero-stephen-k-bannon-returns-home-breitbart/

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Author of a book on Bannon/Trump

I think the splinter talk is mostly wishful thinking.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Breitbart doesn't turn on Trump, it turns on the advisers that Bannon disliked.

Be ready for waves of anti-McMaster stuff in particular.

• Options
    Bannon is going to be attacking Trump insiders, not Trump. McMaster and Kushner being the obvious targets. Basically anyone steering him away from Blood and Soil.

Anyway, given how past "firings" have gone I doubt Bannon is losing Trump's ear.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, not surprising that Bannon would stick with Trump. He views Trump as a means towards his Traditionalist ethno-state.

I expect attacks on Congressional leadership will ramp up big time, and we will see another big wave of anti-media sentiment

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Given the past couple of weeks, maybe stating that you're "going to war" for Trump against his opponents isn't the best phrasing.

But I guess we've left all sense of tact in politics well behind us, so whatever.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Also today Icahn quit

AR Bernard of the Evangelical Advisory committee quit

And there's been another wave of resignations at Commerce from business execs
    More business executives are departing en masse from Trump administration advisory positions, with a new set of resignations from a Commerce Department advisory board following an exodus from two business groups advising the White House, which then disbanded both of them.

More than half of the members of the 15-person Digital Economy Board of Advisors, an expert board set up last year by the Obama administration to help the federal government navigate the digital economy, are known to have resigned this week in the wake of President Donald Trump's controversial comments about the violence last week in Charlottesville, Va., that left one person dead.
    Those no longer participating as of today include co-chairs Zoë Baird, president and CEO of the Markle Foundation; Mitchell Baker, executive chairwoman of the tech organization Mozilla; David L. Cohen, senior vice president and chief diversity officer at Comcast; Brad Smith, Microsoft president and chief legal officer; Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan; Karen Bartleson, president of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers; Marta Tellado, president and CEO of Consumer Reports; James Manyika, director of the McKinsey Global Institute; Sonia Katyal, chancellor’s professor of law at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law; and Corey Thomas, president and CEO of cybersecurity firm Rapid7. Their departures were confirmed by those individuals, their representatives or emails obtained by POLITICO.

The departures differ from those from the White House advisory groups because they mark a case of outside experts distancing themselves not simply from the White House or Trump, but from a federal agency.

Still no Cabinet level figures or anything, and they're losing any credible excuse.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What are the odds that Bannon spent his time with White House access digging into shit that he can turn into material for Breitbart, with the possible inclusion of putting American intel / strategy / lives at risk?

Is it weird that I'm more worried about Trump’s misuse of this information?

I'm hoping the Murdochs' alleged attempts to unseat Bannon lead to Breitbart going after Fox instead of Trump. Bannon can still sway him as long as Fox and Friends isn't contradicting him.

...so not that different than last week, I guess.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    PantsB wrote: »

But this is perfect. It's almost a best-case outcome as far was we're concerned with respect to Bannon. Trump will destroy himself soon enough; the stretch-goal is to take down everyone else in the circus.

V1m on
  • Options

There's conflicting reports about that as well though.

WaPo Reporter

Which jives exactly with earlier stuff about Trump being upset Bannon was getting the spotlight and Trump himself wasn't getting any credit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ok so the status quo

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I could be wrong (actually hope I am) but I seriously doubt Bannon outright turns on Trump. I'm sure there was a lot of truth to the stories of him feuding with the rest of the cabinet but he also knows Trump is the president most friendly to his vision for the country. I don't think he'll risk fracturing his base and turning the country back over to Democratic party rule

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

But this is perfect. It's almost a best-case outcome as far was we're concerned with respect to Bannon. Trump will destroy himself soon enough; the stretch-goal is to take down everyone else in the circus.

Eh, if anything the last two years have taught us it is that you shouldn't count on anything before it is done.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    “The Trump presidency that we fought for, and won, is over,” Bannon said Friday, shortly after confirming his departure. “We still have a huge movement, and we will make something of this Trump presidency. But that presidency is over. It’ll be something else. And there’ll be all kinds of fights, and there’ll be good days and bad days, but that presidency is over.”
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/bannon-the-trump-presidency-that-we-fought-for-and-won-is-over./article/2009355#.WZdoMDO-RME.twitter

I'm not sure that calling the presidency over, and saying that they'll make SOMETHING of it is the endorsement that some people think. Definitely think it'll be more of them trying to undermine and attack the Kushner/establishment side of things for 'failing' them rather than supporting Trump in any actual way.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I appreciated that embattled was used to describe Brannon. That's a true "shit's real" term media-wise.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So the "President Bannon" strategy actually ended up working? Neat.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I'm stoked Bannon is no longer in the White House every day. But bummed there are still pretty nasty people left in there.

Also a bit bummed because... while grassroots anger has absolutely turned the pressure up on the Trump admin... honestly their only real enemy at the moment seems to be themselves. (Or to be more specific, Trump)

Like, we've wanted Bannon gone for months with no traction.

I wouldn't be too bummed. I think that pressure is certainly still there, and this makes it even more difficult for Trump to find capable people to fill spots in his cabinet, while making it more likely people continue to jump ship. If he'll axe Bannon..the guy who supposedly won him the election...he'll fire anybody. (Just not to their face.)

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So the "President Bannon" strategy actually ended up working? Neat.

So let's talk about President Sessions now

This discussion has been closed.