As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ducktales 2017

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Anyone notice the magical genie lamp from the movie sitting in the garage?

One of the giant golden sun coins from the original Ducktales' pilot was there, too.

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Wow. That was surprisingly good. And it hooked me to watching the next couple of episodes at least.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Just watched this on my lunch break.

I don't think I would have dared to hope that a reboot could be this good.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    @AngelHedgie , I've never been able to tell exactly who was in your avatar, but I always thought it was Spike so

enz1uijllstf.jpg
    [n7m2hmm1z8la.jpg

I just want you to know this was you're fault.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I watched this last night on YouTube and I loved it. The only (mild) complaint I have is that it will take me a little bit to get used to the voices for Webby and Launchpad, and that is such a minor complaint. It was an interesting choice to bring Glomgold in so early, but I did love the point Scrooge made about how Glomgold is the second richest duck in the world, which still makes him ridiculously rich, but that isn't enough for him. He can't stand being richer than literally the entire world bar one duck. He has to be the absolute pinnacle of wealth. Anything less and he feels that he is a failure, which makes him not only a villain, but a sad, pathetic little man duck.

steam_sig.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I quite enjoyed it. Some of the voices were a little jarring but I think they'll mostly grow on me.

Except for Daffy. I've never liked Daffy and I feel like he was even harder to understand here than I remember. I hope he's not in all the episodes.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    You mean Donald :wonk:

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, this one is Donald.

Daffy is the badass wizard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

see317 wrote: »

it's a fair mixup, they did have that duo act in the 40s.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Really, I'll take the flimsiest of excuses to post that clip.

what in the world?

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular

what in the world?

The Looney Tunes show from 2011 featured musical segments, one of which involved Daffy revealing his true form.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It's weird to me that other people think it's weird that Glomgold is introduced so early when he was one of the main villains in the 1980's series' starting movie/miniseries "Treasure of the Golden Suns." Specifically, he was introduced in the second episode, just like in the current series.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It's odd because he used to be more of major boss figure, but now he's been portrayed as a comic mini-boss.

Glom is normally freaking GRIM.

He's gone from King Piccolo to Yamcha.

Incenjucar on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    You mean Donald :wonk:

I do. Goddamned cartoon ducks with names starting in D.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It's odd because he used to be more of major boss figure, but now he's been portrayed as a comic mini-boss.

Eh? In the original Ducktales, Glomgold's first appearance was in the second episode where he worked together with the old Spaniard (just called El Capitan I think?) to find a ship full of gold. Legitimately worked together, even! The Spaniard, the actual main villain of the pilot, was the one who betrayed him.

EDIT: Maybe you're thinking of the Duck comic Glomgold? He was considerably meaner and more murderous than the one in Ducktales, from what I've read about. I think the reboot's done a pretty good job of integrating that, actually.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    The Glomgold in the 1980's series was a somewhat cunning blowhard whose temper and impatience routinely cost him victories over Scrooge. He was anything but grim.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Eh? In the original Ducktales, Glomgold's first appearance was in the second episode where he worked together with the old Spaniard (just called El Capitan I think?) to find a ship full of gold. Legitimately worked together, even! The Spaniard, the actual main villain of the pilot, was the one who betrayed him.

EDIT: Maybe you're thinking of the Duck comic Glomgold? He was considerably meaner and more murderous than the one in Ducktales, from what I've read about. I think the reboot's done a pretty good job of integrating that, actually.

He also wasnt Scottish in the comics, he was an Afrikaaner.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Classic Glomgold is basically Dark Scrooge and shows what Scrooge could be if his selfishness overwhelmed his goodness, and if he never sought to Make It Square.

New Glomgold is a doofus.

Not saying he won't be fun, but Classic Glom carried some weight somewhere other than his belly.

Classic Glomgold is basically Dark Scrooge and shows what Scrooge could be if his selfishness overwhelmed his goodness, and if he never sought to Make It Square.

New Glomgold is a doofus.

Not saying he won't be fun, but Classic Glom carried some weight somewhere other than his belly.

New Glomgold also hired a small army of lethal mercenaries then left them to die the moment he thought he got the treasure.
    He may be a doofus, but he's got potential to be a darker reflection of what Scrooge could be.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah I wouldn't judge character choices too much by the pilot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I do love his explanation of how why he hired them though.
    "You're here because you're the best of the cheapest..."

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I do love his explanation of how why he hired them though.
    "You're here because you're the best of the cheapest..."

Which is the main reason it was easy for me to accept Webby being able to hold her own so well against that assassin.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Just finished watching it and it was an absolute joy. The writing is great, the art style is wonderful, and (for the most part) the performances are awesome. My only small gripe is that I have a hard time understanding what Donald is saying due to their being way more raspiness to his voice this go around.

Now to wait for Gizmo and Darkwing to show up cause they were always my favorites :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that this show is so well done and that, at least judging by this thread, it is being so well received. I hope that is enough to persuade Disney to create more cartoons like this. I'd love to see a rebooted Disney Afternoon! It doesn't even have to be remakes if they can create more content like Ducktales that is enjoyable for adults like all of us to watch with their kids.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I'm so happy that this show is so well done and that, at least judging by this thread, it is being so well received. I hope that is enough to persuade Disney to create more cartoons like this. I'd love to see a rebooted Disney Afternoon! It doesn't even have to be remakes if they can create more content like Ducktales that is enjoyable for adults like all of us to watch with their kids.

Well, it's getting a second season, at least.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

He also wasnt Scottish in the comics, he was an Afrikaaner.

Which would have been...messy in the late 80s, hence the change in the original series. Supposedly he's South African again, but his inferiority complex makes him put on a Scottish affect (hence the whole kilt rant.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hands down, my favorite moment in the pilot;

Webby: Who's the evil triplet?
    Huey & Dewey: Louie
    Louie: Ehhh. *shrug*

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

LostNinja wrote: »

I honestly think it's easier to create rich and more memorable content if you apply genuine love and solid effort onto an existing IP.

You already have a core cast of characters and an established fanbase. You just have to put in the work and get the right casting for it.

Big problem here is that old IPs tend to get revived mostly out of laziness, rather than out of a genuine effort to create something worthwhile, so the end results are usually mediocre/bad.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Give me a Count Duckula remake.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Webby: Which one's the evil triplet?

Scrooge: This isn't a museum! This is the GAR-age!
    Triplet: GAR-age?
    Webby: You mean a gar-AGE?

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Free on iTunes if anyone cares.

I got it for free on Amazon video, too.

I guess they just wanted everyone to have access to the pilot, which is also why they put the whole thing on YouTube.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Webby: Who's the evil triplet?

I think for me it was the slow head-turn after "Who's Dewey?"

Scrooge: Huey... Louie... the third one.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It'd be pretty tough for me to pick a favorite, there's a ton of great lines.

Did you guys know Launchpad is a pilot? Because he's a pilot. Really, he is, he's a pilot.
    He's a pilot.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The entire thing is so very quotable.

"He's the poor man's version of me. Which, to be fair, still makes him insanely rich"
    "YES SIR, RANDOM KID I JUST MET!"
    "Lying: it's the responsible thing to do!"
    "What, I'm no has been! They're has-beens! I'm an am-now!"
    "Don't be daft, treasure is the greatest treasure of all, that's why it's called treasure"
    "Neeehhh... I have done more with less"

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It'd be pretty tough for me to pick a favorite, there's a ton of great lines.

Did you guys know Launchpad is a pilot? Because he's a pilot. Really, he is, he's a pilot.
    He's a pilot.

I'm a pilot.

While a rebooted Disney Afternoon would be amazing, I'm actually hoping that we get a rebooted Gargoyles. With Star Wars: Rebels ending - and even with the next unknown Star Wars animated series waiting in the wings - there's plenty of room for something targeting an older demographic. Something that's more notable than the current slew of cheap Marvel cartoons, anyway.