As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Watching the first two episodes of the new spider-man cartoon (because I must hate myself). The issues with its animation has previously been pointed out, but half way through the first episode I kinda hate Peter.

Spoilers up to this point in case you care:

It remains to be seen, but it appears they are showing his origin but skipping
    the part where he first tries to use his powers to be selfish as a wrestler

They also seem to be playing up the nerd part of Peter. He's always been a genius and I like that, but at one point he's on top of a speeding car and it it freeze frames while he does a calculation to determine that he has 25 seconds to get everyone in the way to safety...

I haven't watched Homecoming yet, but the show is based off of that version of Peter which I hated in Civil War.

Also there is a call out to Miles Morales who Appears to be the same age as Peter (isn't he usually a lot younger?). Upside is maybe he'll end up partnering up with Peter at some point

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Watching the first two episodes of the new spider-man cartoon (because I must hate myself). The issues with its animation has previously been pointed out, but half way through the first episode I kinda hate Peter.

They also seem to be playing up the nerd part of Peter. He's always been a genius and I like that, but at one point he's on top of a speeding car and it it freeze frames while he does a calculation to determine that he has 25 seconds to get everyone in the way to safety...

I haven't watched Homecoming yet, but the show is based off of that version of Peter which I hated in Civil War.

Also there is a call out to Miles Morales who Appears to be the same age as Peter (isn't he usually a lot younger?). Upside is maybe he'll end up partnering up with Peter at some point

It's not really a spoiler but Disney XD and Marvel put the origin episode up on YouTube. It's five 3-5 minute parts I think.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

It might be based on homecoming Pete but he doesnt act like that in the movie. He's just a geek and a little cocky like early Spidey

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I watched the 4 part Teen Titans Go special an hour ago. I'm still laughing.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I watched the 4 part Teen Titans Go special an hour ago. I'm still laughing.

speaking of which, guess which song made it to the rock billboard last week?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »

The era of the animated rock musical died way, way too quickly.

I'd love to see it come back, but I don't know that the contemporary audience is the right kind of rebellious.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I'd love to see it come back, but I don't know that the contemporary audience is the right kind of rebellious.

There was a huge event with Metalocalypse in 2013 called Doomstar Requiem, which was a full animated rock opera. Unfortunately it also ended up capping the end of Metalocalypse.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

There was a huge event with Metalocalypse in 2013 called Doomstar Requiem, which was a full animated rock opera. Unfortunately it also ended up capping the end of Metalocalypse.

I'm still pissed Adult Swim jerked around Brendon Small & the fans and we never got the conclusion of the story. They wouldn't even let him use the IP to make a comic or album finale.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    It's weird that I went from liking Metalocalypse to finding it insufferable. I'm saying this as a dude who loves metal and understood the references.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    It's weird that I went from liking Metalocalypse to finding it insufferable. I'm saying this as a dude who loves metal and understood the references.

I can understand that though. I did a rewatch of it a year or so ago and holy shit there is some awful humor in a lot of it. The third season is a mess (it does not lend itself well to a longer episode format)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, the Emoji Movie came and went like a wet fart. What's next for Sony animation?

A version of the Nativity with a sassy donkey.

https://youtu.be/QCtp84nKmJw

....yeah.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Setting everything else aside, it feels really cheap.

• Options
    By the way is anyone watching OK KO Let's Be Heroes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

They can't even get Rachet and clank right and they fucking own it. Sony animation is a joke without Genndy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I've not been able to get into it. Feels too firmly aimed at a very young audience.

• Options

I've not been able to get into it. Feels too firmly aimed at a very young audience.

Hm I was kind of wondering that. I caught a snip of an episode and had a few chuckles but couldn't tell if it was going anywhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'm still pissed Adult Swim jerked around Brendon Small & the fans and we never got the conclusion of the story. They wouldn't even let him use the IP to make a comic or album finale.

Apparently his new Galaktikon album is a thinly veiled continuation of and conclusion to Metalocalypse.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

It's just more happy-go-lucky than i think is or was usual for Cartoon Network. Like Steven Universe if you sucked all the angst out of it and added more physical comedy.

Or like Clarence if Clarence were set in a fantasy world, though it has a different comedic timing than Clarence, but it has that same sense of childlike optimism to it, though i wouldn't say it's aimed at a young audience either.

I do think CN is trying to get it to basically be a non-cynical version of Teen Titans Go, though.

• Options
    Clarence is a gem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Apparently his new Galaktikon album is a thinly veiled continuation of and conclusion to Metalocalypse.

Ill take it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

It's just more happy-go-lucky than i think is or was usual for Cartoon Network. Like Steven Universe if you sucked all the angst out of it and added more physical comedy.

Or like Clarence if Clarence were set in a fantasy world, though it has a different comedic timing than Clarence, but it has that same sense of childlike optimism to it, though i wouldn't say it's aimed at a young audience either.

I do think CN is trying to get it to basically be a non-cynical version of Teen Titans Go, though.
    There's an episode of OK KO called "Know Your Mom" which I'm not too proud to admit completely slew me.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

There's an episode of OK KO called "Know Your Mom" which I'm not too proud to admit completely slew me.

Haven't gotten around to seeing it. August was the premiere month and i was out of work for half of it, which let me catch more than i otherwise would have. Definitely has my attention.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I'm finally catching up with Adventure Time on Hulu and there was an episode where Finn was smitten with Flame Princess and he dreamed (repeatedly) that she was blasting him in the crotch with fire and he really liked it except for that time he dreamed Ice King was blasting him in the crotch, and then shortly after there was another episode where a cherry soda repeatedly tells her root beer float husband she needs more sex in her life and at one point dresses up like a french maid to try to turn him on, and then the very next episode the newly married Tree Trunks tells her pig that she hopes someone catches them having sex on camera while Princess Bubblegum is watching them on camera and she continues to watch and holy shit, this show.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So I'm finally catching up with Adventure Time on Hulu and there was an episode where Finn was smitten with Flame Princess and he dreamed (repeatedly) that she was blasting him in the crotch with fire and he really liked it except for that time he dreamed Ice King was blasting him in the crotch, and then shortly after there was another episode where a cherry soda repeatedly tells her root beer float husband she needs more sex in her life and at one point dresses up like a french maid to try to turn him on, and then the very next episode the newly married Tree Trunks tells her pig that she hopes someone catches them having sex on camera while Princess Bubblegum is watching them on camera and she continues to watch and holy shit, this show.

The High Strangeness episode in season 8 kind of topped those for me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular

I find that most CGI movies are cheap. I actively think that hand-drawn animation invites better movies.

I'm a Christian and I'm almost afraid to watch that trailer, because I have a good idea what it will entail.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

The CGI and animation looks about on the level of Shrek. That wouldn't be such a bad thing, except Shrek is over 15 years old.
    I can already hear the cries of "War of Christmas" when the reviews come out and burn this movie.

I'm betting it'll still make money though, because we Christians tend to love seeing movies that pander to us.

• Options

It's also in the childish language and simple stories. I also can't stand Clarence. It may simply be because I didn't have a very innocent childhood or something, but in any case they're not for me. More power to those who enjoy them, of course!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

Hm I was kind of wondering that. I caught a snip of an episode and had a few chuckles but couldn't tell if it was going anywhere.

They definitely have a backstory in there somewhere. Little snipits keep on popping up without giving the viewers any context. Who knows, they might go all Steven Universe on us later but for now they are just messing around keeping the store safe from robots.

There is a 30 min.(?) special on Labor Day where KO uses dark powers or something.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    honestly, Fairly Odd Parents jumped the shark when they added the baby :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCspsmD84jE

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is Fairly OddParents still getting new episodes? I mean it hit its peak awhile ago and I remember them still airing new episodes last time I was watching T.V. more consistently but is it still going on as an active thing?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    this was season 10's opener... last year. Its a dumpster fire of a show now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56T-r3Dz28

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Fairly Odd Parents came to an unceremonious end earlier this year.

Nick's finally got stuff to replace it like The Loud House and Welcome to the Wayne.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well... good. It was well past its prime and there was no real chance of its quality going back up. I'll always remember it for what it used to be though...

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    That new opening idea is about uh a decade too late.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Fairly OddParents, I love Butch Hartman's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XB4JEs_1Ws

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Was Fairly OddParents good?

It was always something I had in the background but never really considered super entertaining or great.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Started good, went on waaaay to long and had to keep introducing gimmicks.

The TV Movie Channel Chasers is when I got off the train.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Apparently since I stopped watching they introduced a fairy baby, a fairy dog, and most recently a new female protagonist that Timmy has to share Cosmo and Wanda with.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Apparently since I stopped watching they introduced a fairy baby, a fairy dog, and most recently a new female protagonist that Timmy has to share Cosmo and Wanda with.

Wasn't there also a live-action version with Jason Alexander as Cosmo?

This discussion has been closed.