As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
So, because of a business trip and plane delays, I'm currently sitting in Sea-Tac instead of being at home.

Where's your job got you sitting today?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Currently sitting in bed. But earlier today I was sat in a swanky lodge being fed 5* food and watching horses play and chase each other around, after presenting a report to the landowners. It was a meeting I had been dreading but in the end it was okay, and afterwards I instantly felt 80% less stressed.

Then later I was sat in the car looking at elephants, and one of the big bulls came right up to us to investigate and touched the car. I thought he was going to take my passenger's Go Pro right out of his hand. He got some neat video.

And when I got back to base two of the vols presented me with a 6 pack of beer as a gift for putting up with a hectic few days while filling in for the manager.

And now I have two days of work before I take two weeks leave and go on a road trip to meet my parents and I am getting pretty excited!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yay Smof! I'm glad your presentation went well!

Overall sounds very Smof-positive!!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I have today off, which is good, cuz I took a few calls from some very irritating and/or mean people yesterday,

IKknkhU.gif
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    No work today. Monday starts my last two weeks of technical support. I'm so happy!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Three days until the big move.

Spent this morning building little widgets to hold the hardware and mast on our boat for it's long haul across the country.

Moving it around the storage yard made me quite glad someone else is handing the haul.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Day 2 of the Boss Man being gone almost done, 2 more to go.

The closing cook was "bored" last night (or the night before, I saw it this morning) and made a list of things that we need for after he gets back. This makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I laugh because with an about 10 minutes search I crossed half of the items off the list.

I cry because, well. . . same reason I guess.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    currently dreading having to go back to work tomorrow after almost three weeks off....

ugh

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Currently sitting in bed. But earlier today I was sat in a swanky lodge being fed 5* food and watching horses play and chase each other around, after presenting a report to the landowners. It was a meeting I had been dreading but in the end it was okay, and afterwards I instantly felt 80% less stressed.

Then later I was sat in the car looking at elephants, and one of the big bulls came right up to us to investigate and touched the car. I thought he was going to take my passenger's Go Pro right out of his hand. He got some neat video.

And when I got back to base two of the vols presented me with a 6 pack of beer as a gift for putting up with a hectic few days while filling in for the manager.

And now I have two days of work before I take two weeks leave and go on a road trip to meet my parents and I am getting pretty excited!

I'm super pleased that your presentation went well! All that stress and anxiety behind you!

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Every day of me being at work is being at an airport instead of home.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Haha actually that's not true, I've been in a hotel for 2.5 months that overlooks the airport because my company is hiring people faster than they can train them and release to actually go fly. 2 weeks left if nothing else gets cancelled.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    currently dreading having to go back to work tomorrow after almost three weeks off....

ugh

This is the worst.

Although I just cleaned god knows how much crusty filth off the bottom of the mouse for this workstation... that was pretty damn gross.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So my current supervisor has no idea what my actual job title or official job duties are as of this moment.

She is going to schedule a sit down with me come September for a performance review to figure this stuff out. My last performance review was 18 months ago for the Recreation Leader position I stepped down from so I could be a substitute teacher.

I am now a Recreation Assistant except I also do a lot of different stuff.

I manage the front desk and process money orders/handle reservations.

I also sub in at our after-school program.

I also train new staff.

I drive around cities and pass around flyers/publications.

I also create programming and work as a substitute manager for different events.

Basically I do a lot and a lot of it is stuff that the Recreation Leader ought to be doing but they frankly trust me a lot more to do it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Blurgh. I love my job, but I wish I knew why it makes me so anxious.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    for job I make bideogame

I wish living in SoCal didn't suck ass, otherwise this would be perfect

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Lost my bright pink anker charging cable. Bright pink so I would not lose it.

43% and training this guy.

9 hours left...

edited August 2017
    Picked up a hire car yesterday for my road trip Tuesday. Last night my colleague asked to use it and I said yes, because we live in the sticks so that's what you do. They hit a rock and dumped out all the oil and now apparently the engine is seized. So now I have to phone the rental place when they open and explain that "I" fucked their car, and hope they give me another one or my road trip is screwed.

Because this week hasn't been stressful enough yet!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Picked up a hire car yesterday for my road trip Tuesday. Last night my colleague asked to use it and I said yes, because we live in the sticks so that's what you do. They hit a rock and dumped out all the oil and now apparently the engine is seized. So now I have to phone the rental place when they open and explain that "I" fucked their car, and hope they give me another one or my road trip is screwed.

Because this week hasn't been stressful enough yet!

Your colleague owes you.

A LOT.

Like, do they have a couple of genuine Faberge eggs they can give you?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I am about to start my week-long vacation after covering Night Audit for 2 months and I am dreading what I'm going to come back to

In the past 3 weeks we have gotten a new GM, and in response the heads of our Food and Beverage and Front Desk departments have quit, our budget has been slashed pretty heavily (many people not getting a full 40 hour week now), we've had 2 front desk team members quit and 2 of our engineers.

The head of Housekeeping also hates the new guy, but she's been here for 30 years and doesn't want to quit.

God I hope I find something else soon

I'm also on my second write-up (the first was due to the cash drawer being 5 dollars over, the exact minimum amount that constitutes a write-up, and the second was due to a misunderstanding with a request from Accounting, leading to the head of that department demanding I be written up) and if I get three I am instantly terminated.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Man i didn't even let my family drive my rental if their name wasn't on the forms

edited August 2017
    Sigh, kind of hard to train guy when we need to call the police and have them investigate a crime.

RoyceSraphim on
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Man i didn't even let my family drive my rental if their name wasn't on the forms

I would have felt like a class A prick if I had said no. But at least now I have a good excuse for never saying yes to anyone ever again.

edited August 2017
    Now we follow police, and spend night waiting.

Edit: this guy , omg. Deep breaths Royce, meeting the police threw him off his game.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Things have taken a weird path at my current gig; mostly it involves burnout on the part of the management staff and the head chef, you can definitely see the wear and tear on the overall sense of professionalism.

Also, the GM is getting transferred to our sister store in Dallas, so we get *that* GM in exchange; I know nothing about this man except that I've been instructed to have a one-on-one with him when he starts in two weeks.

I can definitely hang out long enough for that, but I'm concerned that if I do, I'll be stuck in a position (again) where I'm the reliable employee that can always be counted on to pick up everyone else's slack or no-call-no-show shifts. Sure the money can be good, but I also like sleep and food and the occasional adult beverage.

edited August 2017
    Okay, I've had a few minutes to wake up and I think I can try to make words gooder and stuff.

- We have an attendance problem with a few of the cooks, one in specific. No-call-no-shows aren't punished, they're not written down or documented in any way, they're just sort of baked into the price of doing business.

- The one specific cook with attendance problems also has a worldview that the rules don't apply to him since he's part of the 'old guard' that has been here for more than a couple of years; said cook worked Friday morning, clocked out at 4pm, hung out at the bar until 11pm, casually strolled through the kitchen while intoxicated at several points and generally made an ass of himself. He is no longer allowed to drink at our establishment. Also, he failed to show up for his Saturday morning shift and couldn't be reached at all. My guesstimation is that he either got into trouble with Johnny Law or ended up in a car wreck (hopefully not) or (somewhat probable) that he was still drunk/hung-over on Saturday morning and everybody else can just deal with it.

- The main P.M. grill cook is down to part-time since he now works mornings at another gig that just opened up down the road. This is also a person of interest in regards to professionalism; his behavior isn't nearly as overt, but he lacks the ability to be self-aware about how much trash he talks and how much his behavior is that of a spoiled child. For instance, he has displayed a nasty habit of talking about how badass of a grill cook he is while at the same time denigrating the capabilities of other cooks on other stations. In the past when he's had a full screen of orders, he refuses to let anyone else help him and tells people who volunteer to help to 'fuck off, this is my station, I got this.'

- To continue with the same person, the last two nights he's gotten swamped/busy/in-the-weeds to the point that he has a full screen for roughly an hour. This is not a rare occurrence, customers will hit the grill station en masse when we're busy ... steaks, mahi, salmon, burgers ... the whole nine yards. What made the last two nights different is that we just hired a new saute cook to work with me on Friday and Saturday nights. Previously, I was the new guy backing up the old hand; now, I'm the old hand (with a whopping two months under my belt) and I'm coaching New Guy on proper plating and cooking procedures ... since (just like me) his training was cut short because people don't like to show up for their goddamned scheduled shifts. But all of that is just background noise to Grill Guy; all he did for the last two nights was complain and the only thing that changed was ... I was talking to someone else. That's it. Literally. He spent several hours on each shift being pissy because I was cracking jokes and having a good time at work with someone that wasn't him. It took me all night and some of this morning to figure it out, but he was fucking jealous that I was deriving some sort of satisfaction that wasn't doled out by The Almighty Grill Man.

- Our main P.M. fry cook is a joke. In the previous thread, I mentioned that he sang like 'an alley cat being violated by a barbed wire dildo,' and my assessment still stands. I don't think he's cognizant enough to understand that he just finished training his replacement. He also has a habit of leaving his trainee alone for several hours on end so he can go smoke weed in the parking structure. He also has bad movement habits, in that he will literally walk through you to get where he's going because he's too fucking high/lazy/inconsiderate to actually use lanes for movement.

- About five or six of the established cooks will leave the line at random moments to go toke up in the parking structure; I have no problem with doing it off the clock, but being clocked in and high seems like a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.

- My hours were cut short, drastically so, right before open enrollment for insurance ended in early August. I realize that August and September are the slowest months for our location, but the optics on this one are extraordinarily bad.

- At the time of this posting, my trainer, the guy who is getting promoted to Culinary Assistant, hasn't showed up for work after closing last night and the soon-to-be-departed GM left me a 13 second voicemail asking if I could come in to cover for his slack-ass. I'm thinking that I'll respond somewhere around 2 p.m. or so. Because let's be honest here, I stayed up late so I could decompress, take a shower, eat food and have a couple of whiskeys. Also hydrate. I consume at least a gallon of water as soon as I can when I get out of the shower, it's just necessary. If a 23-year-old kid can't do a close-to-open, don't expect my nearly-40-year-old-ass to do the same.

In spite of all of these factors, this is still the most laid back restaurant I've ever worked; but being laid back doesn't necessarily have to mean being sloppy, lazy, or socially abusive.

I eagerly await the arrival of our new GM Overlord. Sure, we'll lose a few bad apples who think their shit don't stink, but I'm willing to put in some effort as long as the new guy lays down the law equally for everyone.

Structure and discipline is something I can handle, quite easily, as a matter of fact; I just can't abide the arrogance of people who believe that they are irreplaceable.

Darth Waiter on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Darth hope that the new GM uses a point system. From what I've observed it's the most flexible system. If management wants to be strict, offenses can generate lots of points with relation to where the threshold for each level of discipline. Likewise, if management wants to be more lax offenses generate few points in relation to the threshold for disciplinary action.

Mill wrote: »
    Darth hope that the new GM uses a point system. From what I've observed it's the most flexible system. If management wants to be strict, offenses can generate lots of points with relation to where the threshold for each level of discipline. Likewise, if management wants to be more lax offenses generate few points in relation to the threshold for disciplinary action.

Man, I hope so. A body can be King Shit of Fuckoff Mountain when it comes to cooking, but you have to be able to work with a team.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, because of a business trip and plane delays, I'm currently sitting in Sea-Tac instead of being at home.

Where's your job got you sitting today?

In, ironically enough, an airport.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really want to get my pilot's license but it's so expensive, like, $10-15k for a ppl.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So I'm still driving rideshare full-time because I haven't been able to find another job that pays more in the year and a half since I got passed over for the job with the local PD. I genuinely enjoy driving for hire like this, it's interesting and it doesn't really feel like work. I'm just kind of craving the stability of an office job or something, anything, really.

Yesterday I ended up down in Laguna Beach, which is such a pretty area. At one point I had dropped off some passengers on a little side street off the PCH and ended up having to make way for some emergency vehicles responding to a call down on the beach. I didn't have a way out at that point (the ambulance was blocking the only alley off the street, and fire engines were blocking the road behind me) so I just had to turn off my app and chill at the ocean. There were multiple dogs hanging out there too, it was a great little break.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am taking the entirety of next week off to give myself a break

For the last several weeks (months, probably) I've been working 30-40 hours a week at my "part-time" job and once the semester starts I'll be splitting my time between both in such a way that I won't have a single day off for three straight months

so I'm taking a week

to do precisely jack shit

6F32U1X.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

I can definitely hang out long enough for that, but I'm concerned that if I do, I'll be stuck in a position (again) where I'm the reliable employee that can always be counted on to pick up everyone else's slack or no-call-no-show shifts. Sure the money can be good, but I also like sleep and food and the occasional adult beverage.

This is where I am right now. With the Boss Man out of town I am doing the regular slack pick-up that I do, while also doing a good share of Boss Man slack. I am so very tired, but it's only one more day of 4 and then I get my precious one day off.

This morning was super fun.

I got in at 9:30, got the books done (last night was sloooooooow), had a spot of "me" time, and started prepping out some extra shit to give me some peace of mind for tomorrow.

I get lost in the prep and cleaning I'm doing and realize that we open in 10 minutes and my bartender isn't in yet. It's not abnormal, as she shuts down the kitchen Saturday nights now and lives within walking distance. well, 2 minutes later I get a text about uber/going to be late, which I take to mean that she's on her way.

Then it's noon, and I am still alone.

So fuck it, unlock the door, turn on the neons, get the stools down and set up the bar, she'll be here soon right?

Just over 15 minutes later she come running through the door apologizing and bitching about how long the driver or whatever took. This is my least favorite excuse or reason. Blaming the outside force that you decided to rely on over and over again, whether it be a cab/bus/whatever, is just irritating beyond comprehension. Oh, your bus is late at a certain time every day? Catch an earlier bus. Car service unreliable or late constantly? Stop using them or call/book earlier. DID YOUR JETPACK REFUELING SERVICE NOT ARRIVE IN TIME WELL HOW ABOUT YOU WALK.

I am this close to becoming that old man yelling about millenials.

Maybe too close.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I really want to get my pilot's license but it's so expensive, like, $10-15k for a ppl.

But it's SO FUN THOUGH! Just make a friend who owns a plane that you can train on so you only have to pay for the flight training and ground school :^:

Oh boy I just got an order that I was apparently supposed to have started 20 minutes ago.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The job I had when I got out of the Corps and before I moved here back in 06 was at a Casino
    One of the people I worked with was a freight pilot but had his flight license taken away in the post 2001 era
    I was really curious why since he went on and on about how he would get it back later that year and away from this shit job {I was indifferent to it as it was very different from being in the corps and in flavor country}
    Still how they fired me was BS since I did nothing wrong in the 13 months I was there
    I think they fired me because of a incident.
    We shared our tips. So one of the people who hanged out in the penny room to main floor area was one of the to do business men of the area so I would just cash him out and go about my day no chit chat or asking for a tip. One day I got mad on the radio no one wanted to confirm the payment since it ment walking down from their Podium/walkway to do so since it also ment crossing the ugly area of the floor
    I got one of the security guards to confirm it which is allowed but not recommended
    At the end of the day while waiting for the bus to take me to the employee parking lot he walks up shakes my hand and slips me a wad of cash saying you do good work unlike everyone else here. thank you.
    I know you share your tips so this is for you.
    I was fired later that month
    Still I was amazed how that place ran it was a circus and a meatgrinder
    If only I knew what awaited me a few months later....

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Oh boy I just got an order that I was apparently supposed to have started 20 minutes ago.

Don't worry! Perhaps the diner will have the opportunity to wonder whether you had to go to the dish's country of origin to fetch it, thus inciting merriment and increasing his or her social status at the table.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Look, I know ladies have problems that I don't understand and never will. I get it, it sucks, it's painful and unfair. The best I can do is attempt to empathize.

That gets more and more difficult when you took last night off (the double I almost had to work) to bartend a retirement party and then stay up all night and come in late the next day after 4 hours of sleep.

Don't try to pull sympathy from the regulars while I am standing 10 feet away from you.

Great Satan, I am in a bad mood.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just signed up for my preferences for my official new job email! Eeeeeeee!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Great! So I should start forwarding all your correspondence to xX_chronbiata420_Xx@ibm.com?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    That's silly

It'll be us.ibm.com

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    That's silly

It'll be us.ibm.com

Not anymore!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.