As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Ring Within

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Ring Within

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    Someone die?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I think it's more that Nintendo has helped prop up Sonic for years and the strip makes the case that they're actual friends.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So were those his tears or his blood?

FireballDragon on
  • Options
    tears? Sonic doesn't bleed, he shoots rings out.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, was this him crying onto the letter, or a sniper getting him as he reads it?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, was this him crying onto the letter, or a sniper getting him as he reads it?
    The former, I think.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    agreed, i think this is supposed to be emotional.

Why would sonic cry blue though? Is that canon?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    agreed, i think this is supposed to be emotional.

Why would sonic cry blue though? Is that canon?

Probably a callback to him bleeding blue earlier.

i-z6pJHXF-2100x20000.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "Select your beloved video game character, then select your gun..."

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is sonic really beloved? He's the dreamcast of franchise characters. All potential and nostalgia very little actually good.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A lot of people like Sonic, Preacher, even if your icy heart can love nothing.

It just speaks volumes that the best sonic game aside from Mania in recent history is Smash Bros. The same is true of Mega Man.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A lot of people like Sonic, Preacher, even if your icy heart can love nothing.

It just speaks volumes that the best sonic game aside from Mania in recent history is Smash Bros. The same is true of Mega Man.

A lot of people voted for Donald Trump Ronaldo. THE MASSES KNOW NOTHING!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that people's minds are rather clean in regards to what sort of fluids it is on the letter.

I believe there's a hint in the way that there are those grey borders around the blue itself. There is one fluid that, while not normally blue, will lead to that particular border.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    It could be lamenting the Olympics games via nosebleed. I like my interpretation.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's true for Mega Man, but there's been stuff like Colors, Generations, and Lost World since Smash for Sonic.

Mayhem is definitely the most widely-beloved one in quite some time, though.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I don't suppose there's much point to my getting involved in a discussion of the ups and downs of the Sonic games. :P

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Tears might be clear, but cartoon tears are blue.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Don't care what anyone says, this is the nicest comic they've done in a while and I'm actually kind of choked up over how sweet it is.

Also, "it's-a-me," followed by Mario as a signature is probably one of the most if not the most humanizing things I've ever seen someone do for Mario as a character, and it's beautiful.

• Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    Good to know I'm not the only one confused about what's being portrayed.
    Still not sure, to be honest. Tears? Blood? Other.. fluids? (really, hawk?)

I guess I'll go with "It was a touching letter that made Sonic cry"

• Options
    mename.b.arbitrarymename.b.arbitrary Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    yep, i don't think there's any darkness just the maturity that they're both aging franchises whose mutual nature is to simply be fun games, but whose reputations were marketed to rival each other... a loving, at one point unnecessarily fraught, relationship, and a friendly letter sent to allude to but dismiss its former adolescent tension

mename.b.arbitrary on
  • Options
    DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Definitely gonna need a DownloadableContent for this one.

Edit: And I got one! They're tears. The comic was intended to be full-on sweet.

And they fact that they're blue IS a reference to him having blue body fluids in the previous strip.

DarthEnderX on
  • Options
    Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    I remember playing the Olympics games all the time.