As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super-Villain Tournament nominations (closed)

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nobody's mentioned the Phalanx. Can we count that?

Also, Magician from Ultimate X-Men :P

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nobody's mentioned the Phalanx. Can we count that?

Also, Magician from Ultimate X-Men :P

No Mary Sues. And he technically wasn't a villain.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    Also, no fucking way in hell Annihilus makes the list under these circumstances.

I don't know. Villains are generally a ridiculously overpowered set of dudes anyway. Professor X seemed way too powerful to be part of the hero tournament, but Cassandra Nova feels about right for the villain tournament.
    I thought so too, that is why I have The General nominated in my post. I don't know if we should count them as the same since it's one body or different since its two different personalities.

Also, I have no problem with the General instead of the Shaggy Man. He'd probably be more interesting. I'll replace Shaggy Man from my list with Starro. I edited my original nominations and I'll repost it here for ease of updating the running list:
    Amazo
    Maxwell Lord (just to spite Munch)
    EDIT: Starro

NOTE: Shaggy Man/General are essentially the same entity at this point - it's General Eiling's mind in the Shaggy Man's body. So, NinjaSquirrel's nomination of The General should take precedence.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If Thanos is too powerfull, Annihilus is.

august on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Baron Karl Amadeus Mordo (various Dr. Strange stories, not cosmic)

And I can't think of anyone else just yet. But you will bow before MORDO!

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doesn't Cassandra Nova break the "no evil version" rule? I think she's Prof. X's evil twin or some shit like that.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In the same vien as weight classes: are we makeing any kind of allowneces for criminal empires? I mean Lex Luthor can compete with Superman, but only because he has a vast network of resources to call on. Same thing with Kingpin and anyother Mastermind type villian. Without those resources they might as well not be submited at all when we have characters who are obviously stronger in a toe to toe slug fest. If henchmen are treated like "special equipment" then anyone who can't bench a buick might as well be eliminated now.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Also, Emplate.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    In the same vien as weight classes: are we makeing any kind of allowneces for criminal empires? I mean Lex Luthor can compete with Superman, but only because he has a vast network of resources to call on. Same thing with Kingpin and anyother Mastermind type villian. Without those resources they might as well not be submited at all when we have characters who are obviously stronger in a toe to toe slug fest. If henchmen are treated like "special equipment" then anyone who can't bench a buick might as well be eliminated now.

Luthor is wearing his Apokoliptian suit of armour.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Someone please sneak in Solaris, The Tyrant Sun.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:

That's nothing. Kingpin is wearing Armani

Hensler on
  • Options
    ParroteerParroteer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    I don't know. Villains are generally a ridiculously overpowered set of dudes anyway. Professor X seemed way too powerful to be part of the hero tournament, but Cassandra Nova feels about right for the villain tournament..

Ugh, I didn't see that. Martian Manhunter was allowed while Prof. X was disqualified? :shock:

Parroteer on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Parroteer wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    I don't know. Villains are generally a ridiculously overpowered set of dudes anyway. Professor X seemed way too powerful to be part of the hero tournament, but Cassandra Nova feels about right for the villain tournament..

Ugh, I didn't see that. Martian Manhunter was allowed while Prof. X was disqualified? :shock:

Yes, but everyone just decided to ignore the fact that Martian Manhunter is a very powerful psychic attached to superman with a few extra powers thrown in for good measure.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:

The point still stands. The "behind the scenes" villian is a common one, and strongly represented in the list. Should we just axe all of 'em cause they don't have the power to fight one on one with...say....a Sentinal?

Snoogy on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:

Yea, Lex's organization provides him with tech and weapons he can bring as equipment. Kingpin has...uh, coke and handguns?

Scooter on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:

The point still stands. The "behind the scenes" villian is a common one, and strongly represented in the list. Should we just axe all of 'em cause they don't have the power to fight one on one with...say....a Sentinal?

Well we don't know the rules of this particular tournament. It might not just be a beat-em-up free for all like the heroes had.

Doom seems more clever and creative than Beyonder.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    (I'll be honest, I just really want to see Chairface make a run at round 2.

And yes, I know Doom will never accept the nomination, even though Chairface does rule a suburb in New Jersey)

Snoogy on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    I wanted to, but if Darkseid and Thanos are considered ineligible, Solaris doesn't have a chance. Hey, it only took Superman with thousands of years of solar energy stored and a green lantern ring to stop him, right? Sounds fair. Still, it's hard to deny the sheer awesome of the name.
    Speaking of possibly overpowered, what do we think about the Asgardian Destroyer?

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not sure if I'm thinking about this too early or not, but will there be a final battle between Thor and whoever wins the villian tournament?

Also…Mysterio is totally gonna win.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not sure if I'm thinking about this too early or not, but will there be a final battle between Thor and whoever wins the villian tournament?

Somebody should totally nominate the Thor clone.

Royse on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

I dont think George Clooney is considered a villian.

edit: Hmmm, I guess I just set myself up for a Batman and Robin joke. Fuck.

Hensler on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Also, Emplate.
    Oh fuck yeah.

I could hug you man. This is great.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    aspaaspa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jesus DeSade

The Smiler

aspa on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's important not to discount the behind the scenes villians. They are usually more dangerous and more of a threat than the villians that want to pound your face into the ground. As mentioned before, we will have to wait and see how the rules turn out in this one.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cpio wrote:
    The Corinthian
    corinthian.jpg

Fuck yes.

fuck yes

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy: "(I'll be honest, I just really want to see Chairface make a run at round 2."

Chairface? What's he going to do, smash his head over people's backs?

He has no powers, nor is he a tactical genius like the Kingpin or a scientific genius like Luthor.

He's probably the worst Tick villain for a contest like this, frankly.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy: "(I'll be honest, I just really want to see Chairface make a run at round 2."

Chairface? What's he going to do, smash his head over people's backs?

He has no powers, nor is he a tactical genius like the Kingpin or a scientific genius like Luthor.

He's probably the worst Tick villain for a contest like this, frankly.

Oh, I disagree. He is certainly no worse for the contest than Jigsaw or the Joker, and probably comes off a great deal better. Consider for a second what it takes to build a lazer capable of carving trenches on the moon that can be read from earth. Yeah he didn't design it, but his empire let him build it. Plus he rules a pricipality in New Jersey, in open defiance of the US of A. The man has chutzpah.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmm. I was going to nominate Purple Man and Toad, but I see they're already on the list.

Would Tundra be inappropriate as a nomination?

I'll also nominate Silver Samurai and Deathbird while I'm at it.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    He has a goddamn chair for a head.

win

august on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Doesn't Cassandra Nova break the "no evil version" rule? I think she's Prof. X's evil twin or some shit like that.

She's his twin sister, not an evil version of him.
    Or are all twins just carbon copies of the same person? Does your genetic material make up who you are? Is it nature? Is it nurture?
    Who cares?!

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Or are all twins just carbon copies of the same person? Does your genetic material make up who you are? Is it nature? Is it nurture?
    Who cares?!

Calm down, it's both.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!

august on
  • Options
    Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Please note, Doom is only selecting 32 participants. The matches will be one on one. The matches will take place in Doomstadt, in a room similar to the one that bald fool uses to train his mutant scum. Doom will decide the setting for each battle. No external equipment (nobody gets a magic sword here unless they use it ALL THE TIME) shall be allowed, and any fighter that uses standard weapons such as Deathstroke will be assigned a weapons loadout prior to their match.

Doctor Doom on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Who cares?!

Calm down, it's both.

You misunderstand, I wasn't worked up, nor do I really care (much). I initially started writing a post stating that you aren't just the sum of your genetics, and realized that I was bordering on an existentialist essay, so I edited it all down into something a bit shorter, but getting to the same point.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Who cares?!

Calm down, it's both.

You misunderstand, I wasn't worked up, nor do I really care (much). I initially started writing a post stating that you aren't just the sum of your genetics, and realized that I was bordering on an existentialist essay, so I edited it all down into something a bit shorter, but getting to the same point.

I realized that you weren't in any actual quandry, but I like to take people literally.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Please note, Doom is only selecting 32 participants. The matches will be one on one. The matches will take place in Doomstadt, in a room similar to the one that bald fool uses to train his mutant scum. Doom will decide the setting for each battle. No external equipment (nobody gets a magic sword here unless they use it ALL THE TIME) shall be allowed, and any fighter that uses standard weapons such as Deathstroke will be assigned a weapons loadout prior to their match.

Only 32? seems like a small pool with this many entrants.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

so no plotting villians. okay. I reinstate Count Nefaria

Snoogy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Is Ronan counted as a super-villain? He is kind of a bad guy. What about Super Skrull?

My other nomination is The Rival, the Jay Garrick anti-Flash.

I called Super Skrull some time ago.

He's mine.

Yeah. Just a heads up so you don't waste a nomination.

I see Ronan is good... What about Prometheus, and

shoot, I can't think of anyone who has not been mentioned.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:

Only 32? seems like a small pool with this many entrants.

Doom is not interested in a 4 month long debacle like the hero tournament. Doom wants to see action. Doom may consider doubling the size depending on the nominees.

Doctor Doom on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Not sure if I'm thinking about this too early or not, but will there be a final battle between Thor and whoever wins the villian tournament

Doom likes that idea, peon. Doom is glad he thought of it.

Doctor Doom on