As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Alpha Strike with our man @DaMoonRulz !

I'm getting obliterated.

EBrMIn3.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    A Dragon.... How appropriate

kx3klFE.png
    And now some Grinder! I'm in the Firestarter (red arrow), and @DaMoonRulz is a billion miles away in a Firebee (blue arrow). Will our ships Mechs pass harmlessly in the night?

YyA6L3t.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    A Dragon.... How appropriate

I very specifically chose that side of the conflict.

In the rematch I wasn't as lucky, but fortunately the game time ended before the Dragon bit the dust.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I would like it be known, and reinforced, that @DaMoonRulz is a gentleman and a scholar. It was a pleasure to Stomp 'Mechs with you today!

Some more Grinder highlights:

After a round of sparring, DaMoon and I engage on an unfriendly target.
    5UwDEDy.jpg

Then the three of us saw better fodder in the distance...
    gTEBnVT.jpg
    XZL6QH7.jpg

I'll follow you into any battle, Captain @Nips !

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@Nips Oh, I got an answer as to why they multiplied everything by five for damage values. It's so they could tweak the damage values for different Manufacturers without dealing with fractions.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Nips Oh, I got an answer as to why they multiplied everything by five for damage values. It's so they could tweak the damage values for different Manufacturers without dealing with fractions.

So, they're getting a little Front Mission in our Battletech? I'm down with that; I always kind of wanted something along those lines in a PC game since they put all this extraneous info in the tech readouts about who made what. Wonder if the different armor manufacturers will matter?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Nips Oh, I got an answer as to why they multiplied everything by five for damage values. It's so they could tweak the damage values for different Manufacturers without dealing with fractions.

So, they're getting a little Front Mission in our Battletech? I'm down with that; I always kind of wanted something along those lines in a PC game since they put all this extraneous info in the tech readouts about who made what. Wonder if the different armor manufacturers will matter?

And different Autocannon makers will change if you have a burst fire AC or single shot AC, but it's purely cosmetic

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So here's an interesting development in the Harmony Gold shenanigans:

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-suing-the-company-that-sold-them-unseen-images/amp/

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Nips wrote: »
    So here's an interesting development in the Harmony Gold shenanigans:

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-suing-the-company-that-sold-them-unseen-images/amp/

What the shit HG?!

I mean, from the article we don't know what exactly they're hoping to accomplish with that move. But dragging the actual Japanese rights situation into a US court (which seems inevitable with this newest suit) seems like an extremely dangerous move since their whole business model with Robotech has hinged on a questionable interpretation of their agreement with Tatsunoko.

Edit: Disregard, see Betsuni's post below.

Harmony Gold is the Donald Trump of anime distributors. They produce little of value, are constantly doing things that are stupid or obnoxious, are involved in laundering money for foreign officials, and somehow manage to keep avoiding their comeuppance.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So this is also on the BT forum (the HBS game):

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9113/comments/177858
    Okay, thanks for the link to the new case. I did some digging, and it was a largely useless case (it's asking a court to confirm and arbitration) but one of the exhibits was worth the money.

As per Exhibit 1 (Redacted document - Arbitration Award) in 2:17-cv-06034 Harmony Gold, USA, Inc. v. Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.

Award 2a: HG's license to make derivative works expires 14MAR2021. All rights and sublicenses revert to the company that bought the company that bought Tatsunoko at that time.

2c: HG does not have all rights in perpetuity throughout the universe (the listed terminology).

2d: They can negotiate for a new license, of course.

Let it be known: This is not part of the other case, it is a matter of court record, and I am not an attorney. These are my understandings based on my knowledge. The citations are provided in case an attorney wishes to fact-check.

It explains the sudden rush, they have four years to milk the license for all its worth before terms change. Also, this was a million-dollar arbitration on their part.

I'd also like to suggest people read the Wikipedia article on Harmony Gold USA.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9113/comments/178476
    Ok, a lot of stuff going on in that Leonard French stream, but apparently, here's the highlights:
    This has nothing to do with Battletech
    Arbitration is already over. In addition, Arbitration only covers the contract between HG and Tatsunoko, with no regard to external factors - It is not legally binding otherwise. Presumably that means it can't be used against HBS
    Basically, Tatsunoko got squeezed by Big West, another company. In turn, Tatsunoko tried to squeeze HG for royalties (Way, way WAY too late), rights and other stuff. HG squeezed back and won
    The contract pretty much gives HG every single right you can think of outside the US, excluding the rights to 41 original Macross characters
    All of HGs rights end on March 14, 2021. All of them
    Whoever Tatsunoko had writing their contracts was a moron
    There's a lot of stuff though, I suggest people watch it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Nothing would make me laugh harder then if Palladium books snapped up the rights to Robotech in it's entirety and then called up Jordan to tell him that the whole unseen thing is over because no one is benefiting from this asinine arrangement.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Nothing would make me laugh harder then if Palladium books snapped up the rights to Robotech in it's entirety and then called up Jordan to tell him that the whole unseen thing is over because no one is benefiting from this asinine arrangement.

Actually what would be funnier is if HG loses their license since they probably couldn't afford to make a new one. Then someone like HPG/PGI bought the rights to Robotech and sued HG for even mentioning that they once owned Robotech.

Edit: Sorry, my anger at HG reared its ugly head again. Usually comes when I remember that there is no new Macross shows here thanks to them.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    So I was trolling the BT official forums, and found this pic. This complement of figs wasn't in the case when I went by.

Notice the Catapult - that's new! And beautiful!

ZCuxV1l.jpg

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    It does look nice. I think all the previous Catapult minis had overly skinny legs or a hilariously gigantic fuselage, and this one just looks good. The Thunderbolt is a huge improvement over all their prior efforts, too. I think BattleTech makes some of the worst-looking miniatures on the planet, but most of these are solid.

The Shadow Hawk looks a little off, though, like its entire middle torso caved in and it's pretending to be a Javelin. Unless it's leaning in really far for a round of Greco-Roman wrestling.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Do Griffin's have a dead side? I always thought the missiles and PPC were on opposite sides.

Hmm, neat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    Do Griffin's have a dead side? I always thought the missiles and PPC were on opposite sides.

Hmm, neat.

Most variants don't. The 1N has a quasi-deadside, with the LRM-10 and PPC in the right side and only a pair of jump jets to lose on the left. The 5K as well, but it mounts an LFE so it's more fragile. The 6S is similar to the 5K, but also gives up an ER Medium Laser on losing its left side.

Well if these will be the new gold standard minis I'm just going to throw my old ones in the garbage.

kx3klFE.png
    Well if these will be the new gold standard minis I'm just going to throw my old ones in the garbage.

I will happily take them off your hands, at a reasonable price, before I let it get to that.

No figure left behind!

I will happily take them off your hands, at a reasonable price, before I let it get to that.

No figure left behind!

$3 a mini for the last 2 box sets (3 total). $10 for each unseen included with the 3rd edition box. $10 each for the heavy unseen Lance. $20 for the original metal marauder 2. $13 for he metal grasshopper. $5 each for reinforcement pack mechs.

Shit... This is getting expensive

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2017

No figure left behind!

$3 a mini for the last 2 box sets (3 total). $10 for each unseen included with the 3rd edition box. $10 each for the heavy unseen Lance. $20 for the original metal marauder 2. $13 for he metal grasshopper. $5 each for reinforcement pack mechs.

Shit... This is getting expensive

Given my eBay trawling experience, I doubt you'd get those prices. Some of the metal Unseen sculpts might go for $15+ (much more if it's a rare one) depending on the sculpts, but Third Edition Unseen plastics usually go for $5-10. Most of the modern plastics are going to go for $3.50 (Lance Pack) or less (Intro Box, unless the box set is complete as a whole) per fig. Modern metal on the secondary market is probably going to get you retail minus S&H, or about 80% of IWM's price, depending on the listing you look at.

Still, you probably do have upwards of a few hundred dollars worth of figs there.

Nips on
    Who am I kidding? My precioussssss

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2017
    Nevermind. Not really the right forum for what I'd posted.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wow, that started out on a down note.
    Kelly Fuson, the guy they had planed to have GM the game has gone missing.
    I'm not a Twitter person so this is the first I've heard of this.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yikes. I hope he's okay.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Nips Oh, I got an answer as to why they multiplied everything by five for damage values. It's so they could tweak the damage values for different Manufacturers without dealing with fractions.

And different Autocannon makers will change if you have a burst fire AC or single shot AC, but it's purely cosmetic

That's awesome. This was always another level of optional abstract rules in tabletop (one of the million pieces of crunch that make the game either a drag to play on tabletop or too simple). The modern rules are here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Design_Quirks but there were mech-specific quirks published in Dragon magazine in the 90s that captured the idiosyncratic descriptions of mech systems in the various TROs.

Glad to see them leveraging technology to make this kind of stuff practical.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited September 2017
    Tinkering around in good old Solaris Skunk Werks today and came up with this:

Jagermech "Sturm" JM6-DuB (Donner und Blitzen; thunder and lightning, ie. bringing the storm)
    Tech base: IS
    Era: 3025
    Tonnage: 65
    Type: standard biped w/no hands, & no lower arm actuators
    Internal Structure: Standard

Engine: 260 Standard
    • Walk: 4
    • Run: 6
    • internal Heat Sinks: 10 (singles)

Armor: 10 tons standard

Weapons:
    • PPC - Right Arm
    • Medium Laser - Head
    • Medium Laser - Center Torso
    • 3 tons AC-5 ammo - Left Torso
    • AC-5 - Left Arm
    • AC-5 - Left Arm

Basic idea is; AC-5's and PPC's have the same range bands (even the 3 minimum), giving you a 20-point long range strike for 12 heat (not counting movement heat) with 30 turns worth of ammo. Then you'd still have a 10 damage/10 heat poke. 3x MLas gives you respectable short range firepower (for the time period) to discourage people getting up in your grill. Ten tons of armor is a little light for its size, but it's +66% over the stock Jagermech and not uncommon for fire support heavies in the late succession wars (see the Catapult).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tinkering around in good old Solaris Skunk Werks today and came up with this:

Jagermech "Sturm" JM6-DuB (Donner und Blitzen; thunder and lightning, ie. bringing the storm)
    Tech base: IS
    Era: 3025
    Tonnage: 65
    Type: standard biped w/no hands, & no lower arm actuators
    Internal Structure: Standard

Engine: 260 Standard
    • Walk: 4
    • Run: 6
    • internal Heat Sinks: 10 (singles)

Armor: 10 tons standard

Weapons:
    • PPC - Right Arm
    • Medium Laser - Head
    • 3 tons AC-5 ammo - Left Torso
    • AC-5 - Left Arm
    • AC-5 - Left Arm

Basic idea is; AC-5's and PPC's have the same range bands (even the 3 minimum), giving you a 20-point long range strike for 12 heat (not counting movement heat) with 30 turns worth of ammo. Then you'd still have a 10 damage/10 heat poke. 3x MLas gives you respectable short range firepower (for the time period) to discourage people getting up in your grill. Ten tons of armor is a little light for its size, but it's +66% over the stock Jagermech and not uncommon for fire support heavies in the late succession wars (see the Catapult).

Seems decent enough, since 3025 tech is kinda limited; my one concern with a mech like this is that if something gets up in it's grill it's not going to have the fire power/armor to brawl it's way to safety.

Yeah, it's definitely still a fire support design; but much safer than the stock Jagermech (+1 MLas, +4 tons armor), and more firepower at long range as well (20 vs 14). The story may be different for Battletech PC, where they've given the lighter AC's a damage boost, but I think this customization just highlights how much the AC2 needs something like that. Of course, the PC game's also probably not going to allow tabletop style unrestricted customization; I suspect it will have something along the lines of MWO's hardpoint system.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Played a game of Alpha Strike at the latest con, here is an album link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rVr69

It was fun! But my team played terribly. It was 3v3, IS vs Clan. I had the assault lance and was advancing up blocking LOS with terrain as much as I could. Buuuut my teammates ran ahead full speed and basically crashed against the clan piecemeal and got dismantled, by the time my lance was in place the game was over.

I'd really like to play Alpha Strike as more than mech on mech, it seems to me the main strength of the simplified system would be bringing in infanty, aerotech, etc without the insane rules bloat and slowdown of regular btech.

Still, it was cool being able to finish a game with 3 lances on one side in like an hour and a half.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2017
    Some of the optional advanced rules can help make smaller 'Mech on 'Mech fights more interesting; sprinting, defensive moves, variable damage, etc. I've been noodling on a combination and set of rules for this, and need to codify it at some point.

And the game is really good for combined arms, but it shows how *fragile* non-Mech units are.

Nips on
    edited September 2017
    @DaMoonRulz You're a big fan of the Dragon, right? Do you prefer the MWO one with the elbow on its gun-arm, or the concept art where it's a straight, unarticulated weapon mount?
    qzdfdvl7ocs5.jpgh67so23s1vt8.jpg
    Probably because my first exposure to the (non-unseen) old school IS mechs was the 4th edition boxed set in '96, I've always imagined the Dragon with a pure cannon for its right arm. Particularly this awesome image from the back of the "Introduction to Battletech" book that had the quickstart rules, a primer on the setting, and a kind of mini-tech readout for the mechs:
    jfxvda72k2ta.jpg
    The MWO model seems weird and wrong to me as a result.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The thing that bugs me about the Dragon is that if the right arm is supposed to be an unarticulated cannon, its tabletop model grossly whiffs on the appearance. It also has a bit of ribbing on the rear of the arm, that depending on the paint job can make it look like there's an actuation point there, like so:
    40_foxbatkurita2genyoshadragon02.jpg

Notice how long and straight the arm is? Now rotate that up into the position in the second picture in @H3Knuckles post. Gross! It doesn't have any power or heft to its appearance, it just...kinda sticks out there. Check out this prime example of the derpy arm; the pose is great, but that arm is just dumb:
    28_hyena_dragon_1.jpg

Now, if that arm were sculpted more like that drawing above, or even like that early MWO art render, that would look badass. But PGI went with the articulated-elbow variant, which looks good and provides some nice symmetry to the machine. That's why when I painted up my Oosiks Dragon, I converted it to @DaMoonRulz 's Shotgun variant.
    kZsu0me.jpg

I guess what I'm saying is, the TT model needs a rescupt.

edited September 2017
    Personally I'd be down for the entire range being resculpted according to MWO concept art & similar modern reworkings.

Speaking of art, there's something I'm not entirely clear on; is that Shimmering Sword guy part of MWO's art team, or does he just do freelance work? I love the stuff on his Deviant Art account.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There are some elements from the MWO changes that I like, and some I don't.

Bendy arms on the Dragon? Cool.

But they made EVERY mech very boxy which gets boring. The dragon's round, weird, sloping, angular shoulders are unique and gave it flair. Without them it loses most of its personality and charm.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Canonically, the official record sheet shows upper and lower arm actuators in the autocannon arm, therefore it bends. TRO 3025 happened to have the arm up, but I don't think there was any indication that the Dragonwasn't just holding its arm straight out.

Non-canonically, I think that art is kind of bad. Suspicious Liefeldesque snowdrifts obscuring the feet. Oversized A/C shells ejecting forwards but falling behind the 'Mech, Escher-style. Meh.

edited September 2017
    It's a hot metal body standing in snow next to the burning hulk of a fallen mech, shouldn't there be steam clouds? As for the second point; the AC shells are falling sideways out of the arm, but because the upper body is turned slightly to its right their trajectory puts them a bit behind the mech. The right foot is forward of the body, hence the apparent z-axis difference between its position and where the shells are falling. Seems fine to me?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Personally I'd be down for the entire range being resculpted according to MWO concept art & similar modern reworkings.

Speaking of art, there's something I'm not entirely clear on; is that Shimmering Sword guy part of MWO's art team, or does he just do freelance work? I love the stuff on his Deviant Art account.

I'm pretty sure he does freelance stuff for MWO, the tabletop game, and just fan commissions.