As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I might get that box for various reasons but I need to do a lot before I do

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    At one didn't grey knights have a dreadnaught? It had a large psycannon?
    Or is this more foggy memory?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, they did (Doomglaive Dreadnought according to Google). Apparently Forge World still sells a kit for one, but I remember them being listed on the main GW site's store.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The Grey Knight Dread has updated rules in the new Imperial Amour Adeptus Astartes book. Comes with a Heavy Psycannon and a Nemesis Doomglaive. It also knows 1 psychic power.

They also have a Razorback and a Land Raider that can take psycannons.

Sharp101 on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I'm right that the cultist reduction in the csm codex applies to them when I'm playing death guard right?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So I'm right that the cultist reduction in the csm codex applies to them when I'm playing death guard right?

Yes.

In general you can use the points from the codex.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yes.

In general you can use the points from the codex.

Yeah I thought so, I was doubting myself, mainly because after painting so so many cultists I'm now 60 points short in my list.

So even more models to paint.

I was finished! There was time now! There was time!

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    So my girlfriend might, possibly, be interested in trying some wargaming. While I have decent collections of figures, none of my armies are particularly simple rules wise and she doesn't really speak English. So I was looking at the First Strike box as a possible entry point, coming as it does with the core rules in the language of your choice and a small number of figures at a fairly reasonable price. I'm not personally interested in either army, but am I right in thinking this would be a good place to start?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    All right, they are finished. Whew. Now onto the next ten man squad. First a group shot...

trQIBhW.jpg?1

Then 4 at a time and then all my painted IF at once...
    tUC4LsW.jpg?1
    fMM3pMB.jpg?1
    HM8IfJf.jpg?1
    Fg0lJb9.jpg?2

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So my girlfriend might, possibly, be interested in trying some wargaming. While I have decent collections of figures, none of my armies are particularly simple rules wise and she doesn't really speak English. So I was looking at the First Strike box as a possible entry point, coming as it does with the core rules in the language of your choice and a small number of figures at a fairly reasonable price. I'm not personally interested in either army, but am I right in thinking this would be a good place to start?

First Strike is pretty solid, 8th is very beginner friendly and that box comes with everything you need to start playing. It's also pretty cheap, so if she decides wargaming isn't really her jam than you guys aren't out a huge chunk of change (plus both armies are in vogue right now so you could probably sell the minis fairly easy).

Alternately, if she's more into the sword and sorcery angle than future space battles than you could also check out the Storm of Sigmar set for Age of Sigmar. It's $33 USD and comes with a handful of AOS models. It doesn't come with the play mat and box that can be used as terrain, but it's a few bucks cheaper.

As a long shot, for a while you could find the Battle for Vedros starter kit for as cheap as $30 online, it was a repack of some of the sprues from the old Assault on Black Reach starter set but with some extremely simplified rules for Space Marines and Orks. The models are older, but they're all pushfit and you'd get some cool units like a Dreadnought, Deffkopta, and Warboss.
    All right, they are finished.

These look rad as hell dude.

We live in Japan, so I'm her first real exposure to the idea. The low price point and beginner friendly basic rules are why 8th has me a bit excited. Being in Japan probably also limits resale possibilities a bit, not many players and none near me. I might gauge her interest a bit more and look into ordering a Japanese copy.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Man, you're lucky. I had a detente with my girlfriend - she didn't criticize me hobby interests, and I didn't say anything about how she'd completely filled my full length shoe cabinet in the genkan. :lol:

Where are you in relationship to Osaka? There was a hobby store there that had regular (at least monthly) GW gaming called Iconoclasm, at least as of start of 2017. Yellow Submarine hobby shops also carried GW stuff and had some organized gaming at some of their shops around Japan.

Nowhere near :) I'm up in Fukushima prefecture. Getting to Tokyo is expensive enough, let alone Osaka. The closest to a hobby shop around here is a dedicated Magic card shop about an hour a way. They've started stocking GW products at Yodobashi Camera, and there's one in the same city as the card shop, so I'm hoping it might start spreading more up this way.

I might be misreading things with the GF anyway, hence the low price point desire. We tried a game of X-Wing, but basic beginner X-Wing is kind of boring and all the upgrade cards and things are in English so it's not exactly accessible to her. Also why I haven't tried with Infinity despite owning Icestorm. Basic 8th is nice and easy, and GW publish Japanese documents, so this might be a good opportunity.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Theres also something like Silver Tower or the various boxed games.
    Should have asked at the GW, they might have had some Japanese documents they'd have given you

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Next month's codexes

Death Guard which looks awesome and Ad Mech!

@Arch

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Might be reason enough to continue painting my small batch of Mechanicus models. I hope the codex comes with decals for the Forge Worlds. I'd rather not paint the Stygies VIII symbol.

I'm looking forward to the faction rules. Stygies is into xenotech and and exploration. It's gonna be interesting how that translates to rules.

edit:
    Death Guard releas looks rather big.
    Mortarion
    Typhus?
    Tallyman
    Plague Marines
    Terminators
    Deathshroud Terminators?
    Plague Drones
    Plague Crawler (was that the name of the new tank?)

Have Poxwalkers been released outside of boxed games?

honovere on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    There's an easy to build set with six of them.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Nowhere near :) I'm up in Fukushima prefecture. Getting to Tokyo is expensive enough, let alone Osaka. The closest to a hobby shop around here is a dedicated Magic card shop about an hour a way. They've started stocking GW products at Yodobashi Camera, and there's one in the same city as the card shop, so I'm hoping it might start spreading more up this way.

I might be misreading things with the GF anyway, hence the low price point desire. We tried a game of X-Wing, but basic beginner X-Wing is kind of boring and all the upgrade cards and things are in English so it's not exactly accessible to her. Also why I haven't tried with Infinity despite owning Icestorm. Basic 8th is nice and easy, and GW publish Japanese documents, so this might be a good opportunity.
    Nuts, I wish I'd known that back when I worked at a company HQ'd in Fukushima city, if you're anywhere near there. My current one is HQ'd in Osaka and they don't have me out there much anyways.

Infinity might be a fun game to try out, and the model count is pleasingly low and it's a great game besides. Is there a Japanese language version of the rules, because that's definitely a game I wouldn't want to try and work through 2nd language style.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    GW puts out a fe

Nuts, I wish I'd known that back when I worked at a company HQ'd in Fukushima city, if you're anywhere near there. My current one is HQ'd in Osaka and they don't have me out there much anyways.

Infinity might be a fun game to try out, and the model count is pleasingly low and it's a great game besides. Is there a Japanese language version of the rules, because that's definitely a game I wouldn't want to try and work through 2nd language style.

If you're playing it with English rules, then that's precisely what you're doing.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    GW puts out a fe

If you're playing it with English rules, then that's precisely what you're doing.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a japense translation for infinity considering it's entire line in basically based on anime.

edited August 2017
    GW puts out a fe

I meant as the reader's second language.

*edit*
    Although, from what I hear about the translation of the 1st Edition rules, you were probably better off trying to just read from the original Spanish yourself. :lol:
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't a japense translation for infinity considering it's entire line in basically based on anime
    You're comparing apples to Accords. Being inspired by something has no bearing on being able to translate it to another language, and as far as translating work goes, you can get it good, or you can get it cheap. I think Corvus Belli's first English release shows what happens when you go with the latter. :biggrin:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • AShieldOfMeatAShieldOfMeat Registered User regular

The First Strike box will also be kind of boring (you only have two squads each side). You could possibly make it more interesting by using the Kill Team rules Warhammer World put out (essentially you treat each model as a separate unit, so 6-9 units per side), but those rules are only in English.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I think First Strike isn't going to be boring for someone who's just learning the game. I demo'd it for a friend and he had a blast.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    That's what I'm thinking. For a first game or two First Strike should be fine. Then if she's interested in either army expand with maybe Know no Fear, or otherwise just go for Index and Start Collecting box as appropriate.

Picked up three more Dreadnoughts tonight (along with a ton of arms), bringing me up to four standard, two Venerable, and one Redemptor. The only downside is that they are painted and based as Ultramarines. I hate stripping models and these are based nicely so I think I'm just going to do a paintover like the Land Raider.

I also got a las/plas and dual assault cannon razorback turret and three huge dozer blades. My descent into having a largely mechanized army continues.

With the Redemptor that I picked up, I'm going to field a manly dread army. Techmarine HQ (can i do that? I haven't really looked at the new codex. XD) and then load up on the dreads, just for fun.

I'm half tempted to go Rhino Primaris and Land Raider Excelsior as two HQ choices, then fill the rest of the slots with Dreads and tanks while paying the absolute minimum in troops tax to have a heavy armor army that will likely lose every objective game but will look awesome on the table.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    5-man Tac squads in Razorbacks?

With the Redemptor that I picked up, I'm going to field a manly dread army. Techmarine HQ (can i do that? I haven't really looked at the new codex. XD) and then load up on the dreads, just for fun.

Yup you can! The dreads are elites and go in a vanguard detachment with the techmarine for the required HQ. You don't even need a tech marine. You can go cheap with a Lieutenant or even a cheap captain to give them rerolls.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yup you can! The dreads are elites and go in a vanguard detachment with the techmarine for the required HQ. You don't even need a tech marine. You can go cheap with a Lieutenant or even a cheap captain to give them rerolls.

Or go Forgeworld and use either Chaplain Dreadnought Titus (of the Howling Griffons), Bray'Arth Ashmantle (Salamanders), or Hecaton Aiakos (Minotaurs) as you're HQ. They're all Dreadnoughts.

Or a regular Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought from the chapter of your choice.

Battlescribe is calling the following illegal due to the Relic because it's treating the FW and Codex parts as separate detachments or something.
    ++ Vanguard Detachment (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [63 PL, 1325pts] ++

+ HQ +

Bray’arth Ashmantle [20 PL, 400pts]

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 234pts]
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Heavy flamer
    . Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Heavy flamer

+ Elites +

Relic Deredeo Dreadnought [14 PL, 279pts]: Arachnus heavy lascannon battery, Atomantic pavaise, Twin heavy flamer

+ Heavy Support +

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 206pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
    . Two Kheres assault cannons: 2x Kheres assault cannon

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 206pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
    . Two Kheres assault cannons: 2x Kheres assault cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [33 PL, 666pts] ++

+ Elites +

Dreadnought [7 PL, 148pts]: Assault cannon
    . Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

Ironclad Dreadnought [8 PL, 160pts]: Dreadnought chainfist, Meltagun

Ironclad Dreadnought [8 PL, 160pts]: Dreadnought chainfist, Meltagun

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 198pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy flamer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator

++ Total: [96 PL, 1991pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Chrysis on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    You can do it without using Forgeworld units if you don't care about chapter tactics, I think both Blood Angels and Space Wolves have Dreadnought HQs.

I'm going to go with the Techmarine HQ, because my techmarine on a hover bike in an awesome conversion :biggrin: and then maybe my bike captain (or fudge and put a librarian on a bike), because I need a second vanguard detachment to get the other three dreads in.

Techmarine w/bike&conversion beamer
    Captain on a bike, or maybe a librarian.
    Redemptor Dread Plasma Incinerator
    Venerable Dread - Not sure what to give him that takes best advantage. And nothing in the list has a Multimelta yet.
    Ironclad Dread - hurricane bolters, HKs, chainfist
    Dread w ML/LasCan
    Dread w Assault Can/Fist
    Dread w Twin AutoCans

I'll see how many points that leaves me when everything is fully equipped, but I'm betting all that will be close to 1500. It's not going to be the hardest army out there, but it's going to be fun!

I'm going to go with the Techmarine HQ, because my techmarine on a hover bike in an awesome conversion :biggrin: and then maybe my bike captain (or fudge and put a librarian on a bike), because I need a second vanguard detachment to get the other three dreads in.

Venerable Dread - Not sure what to give him that takes best advantage. And nothing in the list has a Multimelta yet.
    Dread w ML/LasCan
    Dread w Assault Can/Fist
    Dread w Twin AutoCans

I'll see how many points that leaves me when everything is fully equipped, but I'm betting all that will be close to 1500. It's not going to be the hardest army out there, but it's going to be fun!

Seems fun, I would use the onslaught cannon over the plasma cannon though.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Do any of the non-named HQ dreads still have the character keyword? Because some of the relics would be pretty rad on a dreadnought. All the chapter tactics and warlord traits look like they work with them, which is nice.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    Do any of the non-named HQ dreads still have the character keyword? Because some of the relics would be pretty rad on a dreadnought. All the chapter tactics and warlord traits look like they work with them, which is nice.

Librarian dreads do.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Wait, do the relics work on dreads? My libby dread would like that a lot.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Svenska wrote: »
    Wait, do the relics work on dreads? My libby dread would like that a lot.

Well for codex marines.

BA don't have a codex and thus no relics/artifacts.

u7stthr17eud.png

Dread w ML/LasCan
    Dread w Assault Can/Fist
    Dread w Twin AutoCans

Seems fun, I would use the onslaught cannon over the plasma cannon though.

I thought about the heavy onslaught cannon to bring even more dakka, but the list seemed a little low in nasty AP modifer guns. Also, I realized I DON'T have to kludge a librarian on bike, because I can just use the entry in the Index Imperium, right?

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I'd think an all dread list would want as much anti infantry weaponry as it could bring. Being bogged down in combats and losing objectives seems like its main weaknesses.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
This discussion has been closed.