As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GoT][ASoIaF] It had its moments. (OPEN SPOILERS FOR S8, BEWARE)

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited April 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
IT HAS BEEN DECREED FROM ABOVE THAT BOOK TALK WILL GO INTO SPOILERS, BUT SHOW SPOILERS UP TO THE CURRENT EPISODE ARE WIDE OPEN. READ FURTHER FOR MORE INFO.

http://chrysreviews.com does those funny little still by still overviews of the episodes in IMGUR albums. Yeah, those. Check them out!

2t536i2dqdqv.png

THE FINAL SEASON IS UPON US! Make sure the North remembers April 14th.

6ccn0l73hi8d.png

Eventually coming to stores near you, the latest novel in the series from George R.R. Martin, The Winds of Winter.

ip3497tp5ibt.png

RULES FOR THE THREAD: Aside from the general rules that govern most threads, there are two specific rules set here in the Got/ASoIaF thread.

1. Open spoilers for the TV show up to the current episode. Don't leak out details for episodes that have not aired yet, and don't complain if something gets spoiled for you if you're reading this. You've been warned.
2. Closed spoilers for the books. This is big, do not openly discuss things in the books that have not happened, or that are significantly differing from the show. Again, you've been warned.

FAQ

Q. I'm new and I'd like to start watching/reading this, how can I do it?

A. HBO's online site has all of the episodes. I hear you can stream them through Amazon Prime, but it still will cost the same as an HBO NOW subscription. All five of the books are widely available and can be gotten for fairly cheap as a set ($40-50).

Q. You don't have a lot on the front page, why is that?

A. Because if you don't know much of the show, we're 7 seasons and 5 books deep into the series, and this series is full of huge twists you probably won't see coming. I don't want to list characters because it may end up revealing some unintentional plot points. Basically, this is a thread for people who have already been exposed to the newest stuff, or don't mind having the story spoiled, but I feel putting potential spoilers in the OP is still a dick move.

Q. Why are you spoilering the books but not the show?

A. The books have had quite the hiatus between volumes. Also, the events of the books have been playing out differently for a while, and ever since Season 5 of the show ended it's been going even further. They are effectively 2 separate entities. That being said, the show is currently ongoing and will attract a large volume of chatter, so spoilering the show plotpoints leaves the entire thread nothing but spoiler buttons. If you are a book reader that doesn't want to proceed down the path any further, this thread may not be to your liking.

Q. Should I watch the show or read the books?

A. Depends. The show is diverging, and this last stretch may be a bit compressed in comparison to the novels. It's a different experience, as many will tell you, like the difference between a Hollywood movie and the source historical accounts. If you like the world, you'll probably end up doing both.

It's a gory, heartbreaking, nasty take at humankind at its worst, and very rarely is there happiness for all. Basically, after the first chapter/scene, you'll know what you're in for.

Also,

y4ncprx49z99.png

DROGON, DROGON, DROGON, DROGON

Alright folks, that's enough of that, now inn'it?

jungleroomx on

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I will have your giant monster babies, Tormund!

Wait did I type that here or in my diary?

• PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Someone told me that this last episode will be an hour and a half long. Any truth to that, or is it just another rumor?

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    Someone told me that this last episode will be an hour and a half long. Any truth to that, or is it just another rumor?

The most recent episode was well over an hour (Amazon Prime listed it at 1:18, but that's with 5ish+ minutes of non-show stuff added in), so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Last week's actual episode was 59 minutes. So way over the 'hour long TV show' limit, which is usually about 45-50 minutes to allow for ads & promos.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    IMDB clocks in the finale at 81 minutes

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    IMDB clocks in the finale at 81 minutes

That is a lot of minutes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yall wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A dragon to melt the wall with.

Imagine the Night King's disappointment when the go to melt the wall and discover they have an ice dragon.

Or it just collapses into a heap of steaming slush.

Dracarys!

*poof*

Oh...

Right. New plan, boys!

*Several grumpy Walkers seen pressing icy coins into the outstretched hand of a bemused comrade*

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Am I the only one that was surprised Dany wasn't super-pissed at Jon?

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Drez wrote: »

If the threat wasn't real and she lost a Dragon, then she would have every right to be mad.

But like she said, the NK is a real threat, so the knowledge she has and that the realm will soon have was worth the mission, despite the steep cost.

ObiFett on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Eh, she had no idea what to expect going north. I think she probably could have reasonably expected she and the dragons were doing something potentially fatal to them though.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

If the threat wasn't real and she lost a Dragon, then she would have every right to be mad.

But like she said, the NK is a real threat, so the knowledge she has and that the realm will soon have was worth the mission, despite the steep cost.

This is pretty debatable, given that Jon and Co. were pretty much expendable (Jon would be the most missed as KingindaNorf) and they basically handed the walkers a WMD.

Of course, the walkers were very clearly trying to stop them from escaping with a captured wight, so maybe that'll work out better than I expect.

edited August 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

This is pretty debatable, given that Jon and Co. were pretty much expendable (Jon would be the most missed as KingindaNorf) and they basically handed the walkers a WMD.

Of course, the walkers were very clearly trying to stop them from escaping with a captured wight, so maybe that'll work out better than I expect.

Yeah, I'm assuming that Dany and everyone else aren't thinking that the NK is going to be able to turn Viserys into a weapon of their own.

Dany was just weighing "losing a dragon" v "knowledge she and the kingdom will have". When you plop "undead dragon" on the left side of that scale, though, then she, and everyone else for that matter, might be thinking differently of the value of the mission.

ObiFett on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dany learns the value of combined arms. Airpower alone will not win her the throne or defeat the Others/White Walkers.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So the writing for this show has gone completely off the rails in terms of the coherency of the plot, making it tie together, and retaining a sense of grounding in the setting they've built

Some great individual scenes between different characters, mind. Well. Some of them. Teamsquad beyond the wall were great.

Arya seems to have become a total lunatic. And, like, compare her now with her even when she had just left Braavos. It's weird and entirely incoherent. Write-off really. A teenage fan fiction writer did this. Actually they'd probably do a better job.

Still. The Hound, Beric Dondarrion, Tormund... yeah boy! Tormund got a crap ending but whatever. Why even do that, and not just let him die in the final battle in a hero's death? That'd have been better. Great to see the crew racking up a serious body count mind.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I mean, this isn't the first time Dany has sacrificed her child to save the man she loves.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Solar wrote: »
    So the writing for this show has gone completely off the rails in terms of the coherency of the plot, making it tie together, and retaining a sense of grounding in the setting they've built

Some great individual scenes between different characters, mind. Well. Some of them. Teamsquad beyond the wall were great.

Arya seems to have become a total lunatic. And, like, compare her now with her even when she had just left Braavos. It's weird and entirely incoherent. Write-off really. A teenage fan fiction writer did this. Actually they'd probably do a better job.

Still. The Hound, Beric Dondarrion, Tormund... yeah boy! Tormund got a crap ending but whatever. Why even do that, and not just let him die in the final battle in a hero's death? That'd have been better. Great to see the crew racking up a serious body count mind.

Isn't the first thing Arya did upon leaving Braavos go and bake some kids into a pie?

She's been crazy for quite a while. We're just now seeing her relationship with her sister (which was largely about resentment back before all this shit happened) through the lens of an off-kilter murderer.

I don't particularly like the Arya/Sansa story but it seems entirely consistent with how Arya felt about Sansa before they split paths and how far off the deep end Arya has gone since.

Edit: Also, Tormund's not dead that I'm aware of? Did I miss him falling off the end of the dragon or something?

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Walder Frey's oldest children, while technically kids, were grown ass adults.

To be honest it seems hugely incoherent for me with the Arya we saw, like

Three episodes ago or whatever when it met up

I was never a big Arya fan anyway, her character is cool but her plotline has been boring as shit, but still

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    It's better Dany know how strong and threatening the NK and his army is before they cross the wall than when they're knocking at the Red Keep's gates.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    It occurs to me that probably a bunch of Walder Frey's kids never did anyone any harm at all

Like, he has so many. Are they all involved in the decision making process? Are they fuck. So far as I can tell it's the old man who makes all the calls, and plenty of the Freys aren't even at the Red Wedding probably

I mean if you're the Frey equivalent of Samwell Tarly you just killed by some creepy girl wearing your Dad's face. That's fucked up!

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter if individual Freys are innocent. Walder Frey thoroughly poisoned his family name by breaking tradition and killing his quests. His family was done, even if someone didn't show up to straight up murder a bunch of them.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that probably a bunch of Walder Frey's kids never did anyone any harm at all

Like, he has so many. Are they all involved in the decision making process? Are they fuck. So far as I can tell it's the old man who makes all the calls, and plenty of the Freys aren't even at the Red Wedding probably

I mean if you're the Frey equivalent of Samwell Tarly you just killed by some creepy girl wearing your Dad's face. That's fucked up!

Well once you're marching under the banner of someone who betrayed one of the oldest most sacred customs in the realm, no one's really gonna care when you turn up missing.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    To be honest it seems hugely incoherent for me with the Arya we saw, like

Three episodes ago or whatever when it met up

I was never a big Arya fan anyway, her character is cool but her plotline has been boring as shit, but still

Arya immediately upon her return to Winterfell behaved pretty much like Arya meeting the Lannister soldiers. Generally awkward and laughs it off when she deadpan states that she's an assassin planning on murdering people and others don't believe her. Now she's been there for a few months and is returning to her old, cattily-adversarial relationship with her big sister except that now she's a crazy person who murders people as a method of problem solving so what used to be expressed via rude comments and insults is expressed by threatening to kill Sansa in her sleep and then wear her face.

I believe the implication with the Freys is that the entire Frey clan was present at the Red Wedding and therefore, to Arya's mind, are complicit in the act. I'm sure in actuality plenty of them thought that was pretty fucked up but what are they going to do? Write off the family? Their titles, positions, land, etc. are all likely at the pleasure of Old Man Walder.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

And the boys not being super pissed at the Hound

'oh, I know, let's poke at an uneasy stalemate before our reinforcements arrive, because boredom'

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I really have some complaints about this latest episode. Let's ignore the geography problem for a minute and talk about the things that REALLY annoy me.

Benjen just showing up with no foreshadowing to save Jon. Doesn't even hop on the horse. Then does a "heroic sacrifice" 30 seconds after showing up, even while Jon is going WAIT WHAT THE FUCK HOW?! The sacrifice means nothing because it comes from a character that we didn't even know was around and had no setup. Also the sacrifice was useless because he could've hopped on the horse with Jon. Just sloppy, bad writing here.

If the Night King could throw magic super-javelins that can kill dragons mid-flight, why wasn't he doing that while they were trapped on the ice. Also, while they were trapped on the ice, why weren't the undead just walking underwater and then using their weapons to chip away at the ice close to the island? This is a minor quibble made jarring by the fact that we see the Night King just wreck a dragon from hundreds of yards away.

It does kind of feel like the show has a checklist of things they have to do before the show ends, and they aren't bothering to set it up or anything. I had the same complaint about Nymeria just showing up while Arya was travelling to Winterfell. No setup and nothing seems to have come from it, so what was the point?

Other than these complaints, I've been liking the recent season. The battles are great set pieces, at the very least. And the writing hasn't devolved into "Adventures in Dorne" territory quite yet. I guess things just feel disjointed with a lot of scenes designed for "payoff" moments that haven't felt earned. At least, that's how it feels to me.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    The Night King wasn't chugging spears at them because there's no point. They're low on food and supplies, and it's freezing cold. Death will win, sooner or later.

Agreed about Benjen, that was a weak ending for that whole thing.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Death can win just by waiting.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If the Night King could throw magic super-javelins that can kill dragons mid-flight, why wasn't he doing that while they were trapped on the ice. Also, while they were trapped on the ice, why weren't the undead just walking underwater and then using their weapons to chip away at the ice close to the island? This is a minor quibble made jarring by the fact that we see the Night King just wreck a dragon from hundreds of yards away.

Because the Night King wanted an Undead Dragon? Dead humans are pretty poor Mother of Dragons-bait.
    When people like The Hound or Melisandre can see confusing visions of the future it's not so hard to believe that the Night King can do the same (especially considering his ability to notice the Greenseers).

The entire thing was a trap, a gambit where both sides thought they could outwit the other and get the upper hand.

Why else would the Night King send out undead in a party that's conventiently small enough that Jon&Co can nab one and give the Night King an undead tracking device (the wights seem to be an extension of his will)? Why else would the White walkers appear in such numbers? Why would they wait instead of using ranged weapons or even some god damn icemagic to freeze the waters? Why would they have massive chains ready?

The Night king knew he could get a dragon, and possibly kill Danaerys and Jon in the bargain (and he was pretty darn close).
    The Gods of Light thought they could unite the south.
    It remains to be seen who got the best of that encounter.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

Because the Night King wanted an Undead Dragon? Dead humans are pretty poor Mother of Dragons-bait.
    When people like The Hound or Melisandre can see confusing visions of the future it's not so hard to believe that the Night King can do the same (especially considering his ability to notice the Greenseers).

The entire thing was a trap, a gambit where both sides thought they could outwit the other and get the upper hand.

Why else would the Night King send out undead in a party that's conventiently small enough that Jon&Co can nab one and give the Night King an undead tracking device (the wights seem to be an extension of his will)? Why else would the White walkers appear in such numbers? Why would they wait instead of using ranged weapons or even some god damn icemagic to freeze the waters? Why would they have massive chains ready?

The Night king knew he could get a dragon, and possibly kill Danaerys and Jon in the bargain (and he was pretty darn close).

This would be great if it were actually written into the show that I just watched.

No, seriously, I wish the writers did that, because this whole situation being a trap for Jon and Dany to get the Night King a dragon is assigning a level of quality to the writing that would make this whole thing way better. It needs to be spelled out in the actual show, if that's what they're going for.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Feels like they had a bullet point "Walkers get a dragon" and wrote the entire plotline backwards from there

My only issue with the show right now is that they are losing the "everyone can die" threat that used to loom over our characters.

With Jaime nor Bronn not dying at the Loot Train to this episode not losing anyone but Thoros, its feeling a bit more Hollywood. Especially when they keep doing fakeouts, like they've recently done with Jaime, Tormund, and Jorah.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am more upset about them relegating Sandor to some sort of child man with his throwing a rock at a white walker etc than I am with the timing. The timing is going to be a problem here on out because of the nature of the show, shortened seasons and working off of a basic treatment at best for the story.

Feels like they had a bullet point "Walkers get a dragon" and wrote the entire plotline backwards from there

I'm imagining Oprah handing dragons out to her audience.

"You get a dragon, you get a dragon..."

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can't really agree that Arya is acting out of character. How many nights did she spend chanting the names of those she planned to kill? Her time without sight? The pie she baked?

At this point she's done playing, is what I'd say.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My only issue with the show right now is that they are losing the "everyone can die" threat that used to loom over our characters.

With Jaime nor Bronn not dying at the Loot Train to this episode not losing anyone but Thoros, its feeling a bit more Hollywood. Especially when they keep doing fakeouts, like they've recently done with Jaime, Tormund, and Jorah.

I could easily be wrong. But outside of the big surprising deaths that were written by GRRM, what OMG! deaths have there been? I think once they ran out of source material they defaulted back to standard writing strategy and plot armor was buffed.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

This would be great if it were actually written into the show that I just watched.

No, seriously, I wish the writers did that, because this whole situation being a trap for Jon and Dany to get the Night King a dragon is assigning a level of quality to the writing that would make this whole thing way better. It needs to be spelled out in the actual show, if that's what they're going for.

We don't know. Because the Night King isn't a POW character.
    I do think there are hints built into the storyline.
    1. They encounter a wight-bear (an ideal scouting unit). Which would pinpoint them to the wight king and allow him to set&bait the trap.
    2. When they find the bait squad Jon wonders where the rest of them are, but given that none of them are Tywin-level schemers they don't see the possibilities.
    3. The bait-squad even conveniently has a single wight not tied to the white walker leading the group. Possibly because the Night king wants his own eyes in every unit...but you know. Possibly bait.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    It seems like good policy to have at least one wight not tied to the leader in each squad. That way if the leader gets shattered you have an alarm\scout able to report etc. Otherwise you would have no intel on what happened.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I could easily be wrong. But outside of the big surprising deaths that were written by GRRM, what OMG! deaths have there been? I think once they ran out of source material they defaulted back to standard writing strategy and plot armor was buffed.

Its not so much OMG! deaths more that people just died all the time because it normally made sense for people to not miraculously escape from danger. I think we've had more close escapes made this season than the previous seasons combined. The story used to be more about stuff happening (both bad and good) because it made sense in the context of the situation and characters. It feels less so now.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

We don't know. Because the Night King isn't a POW character.
    I do think there are hints built into the storyline.
    1. They encounter a wight-bear (an ideal scouting unit). Which would pinpoint them to the wight king and allow him to set&bait the trap.
    2. When they find the bait squad Jon wonders where the rest of them are, but given that none of them are Tywin-level schemers they don't see the possibilities.
    3. The bait-squad even conveniently has a single wight not tied to the white walker leading the group. Possibly because the Night king wants his own eyes in every unit...but you know. Possibly bait.

I know they want the Night King to be super creepy and never talk. But if they had him say something like "yes" or "finally" or even laugh somewhat when the dragons arrived it would do a lot to drive home that it was all a trap.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

The idea that this was specifically a dragon trap doesn't pan out for me from what we saw, even if we get all timey-wimey with the Night King maybe having precognitive powers.

Reason being: The wights were only waiting for the pond to freeze, then they went for the kill.

Meanwhile, the chain of events that brought the dragons had been set in motion before the standoff began. The immediate peril of Jon and Co. was not a factor in their arrival.

This discussion has been closed.