As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] S7 OPEN SPOILERS Open Throttle, Blurred Scenery [Read OP]

19495969798100»

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I wonder why it's on fire at all; for the actor, maybe?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Probably much easier/cheaper to get the lighting on the actors face correct with real fire, is my totally uninformed guess.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    They also like using real fire for the cg; it looks better, is easier to make, etc.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've wondered about the coming conflict between Daenerys and her dragons vs the White Walkers for years.

Specifically it all seemed pretty lop-sided to me. There's no way mere mortals can stand up to undead opponents that fear no wound and never stop until completely destroyed. You just can't win a fight like that.

But then Dany's dragons felt like an overpowered solution to the undead problem. How are the undead even a threat if you've got flying flamethrowers that can just incinerate huge swathes of them at time?

It seems like the show has kinda amped up and dumbed down the threat for convenience. Wights now die just as easily as mere men if you stab them with dragonglass, and dragons can't get near White Walkers 'cause they've got magic anti-dragon missiles.

To be fair if being a race of ice made flesh people and Ice Magic is your thing and there are actual fire breathing dragons that existed in the world dumping a lot of ice magic research points into magic anti-dragon missiles is probably a good idea

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've wondered about the coming conflict between Daenerys and her dragons vs the White Walkers for years.

Specifically it all seemed pretty lop-sided to me. There's no way mere mortals can stand up to undead opponents that fear no wound and never stop until completely destroyed. You just can't win a fight like that.

But then Dany's dragons felt like an overpowered solution to the undead problem. How are the undead even a threat if you've got flying flamethrowers that can just incinerate huge swathes of them at time?

It seems like the show has kinda amped up and dumbed down the threat for convenience. Wights now die just as easily as mere men if you stab them with dragonglass, and dragons can't get near White Walkers 'cause they've got magic anti-dragon missiles.

Forced drama due to lack of basic communication skills and general self riteousness..

Balancing power creep by just giving the creeps identical power...

This is all starting to make sense! Have you ever noticed a "schlorp" when Littlefinger enters a scene?

• Options

lighting

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Probably much easier/cheaper to get the lighting on the actors face correct with real fire, is my totally uninformed guess.

But that little flame doesn't hold a candle (har!) to the set lights, he appears pretty evenly lit.

But maybe it shows up when they start correcting it, I don't know.

I could also see it being a good reference for the artist. Trying to predict what it should look like as it jerks around without a reference could be way harder.

(My (very) limited experience with simulating fire visuals is that it is infinitely (almost literally) nuanced, and an exact reference would have gone a long way. But they probably have software that costs more than my salary.)

Edit:
    Kruite wrote: »
    They also like using real fire for the cg; it looks better, is easier to make, etc.

Certainly makes sense. Are you guessing or can I file this away as confirmed trivia?

Same question, @HappylilElf ?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Waffen wrote: »
    The, "on the sets" always make me laugh. This is how they shot the Bear Scene

https://i.redd.it/ll3bz0a385hz.gif

Gonna link it so that I don't break the GIF rules.

For the mobile people. Thoros holds a sword that is partially on fire against a green metal lantern as a guy in his green spandex suit wiggles it in front of him.

That man in green is terrifying.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Matt Easton continues to be one of my favorite nerds and slags on the poor state of equipment of those venturing north of the wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80cCVaytX0

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of this SNL skit:
    https://youtu.be/XTTu0k1H2JI

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Since some had brought up why they had all had normal weapons and so few dragonglass and vs zomdragon, dragonglass doesn't do jack vs wrights.

I think that's more a book thing than a TV thing, since the dragonglass daggers seemed very effective against the wights.

Ah ok in the book yea it didn't do anything, had they tried in on them in the show before? They might not have been sure if it did then and had both sets witcher style to be safe.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I went to the wiki to refresh my memory and the white walkers are essentially geth.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

But that little flame doesn't hold a candle (har!) to the set lights, he appears pretty evenly lit.

I could also see it being a good reference for the artist. Trying to predict what it should look like as it jerks around without a reference could be way harder.

(My (very) limited experience with simulating fire visuals is that it is infinitely (almost literally) nuanced, and an exact reference would have gone a long way. But they probably have software that costs more than my salary.)

Edit:

Certainly makes sense. Are you guessing or can I file this away as confirmed trivia?

Same question, HappylilElf ?

Oh no, it's not confirmed trivia at all. I just know a couple artists that work in CGI and I've had more than a few extended conversations about why some CGI ends up terrible and some ends up amazing and the answer is usually "They got the lighting right."

I linked that video to one of them tonight and they basically said "Oh for fuck's sake it's supposed to be dark could they have maybe turned the lights down or used more fire or something?"

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Here's my prediction.
    Jon is about to become Jon Stark.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Edit:

Oh no, it's not confirmed trivia at all. I just know a couple artists that work in CGI and I've had more than a few extended conversations about why some CGI ends up terrible and some ends up amazing and the answer is usually "They got the lighting right."

I linked that video to one of them tonight and they basically said "Oh for fuck's sake it's supposed to be dark could they have maybe turned the lights down or used more fire or something?"

Wasn't the bear attack during daytime? Am I misremembering that?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Here's my prediction.

that isn't going to happen.
    There are two people that can legitimise a bastard.
    The lord that spawned him -or- the ruling monarch.

Ned's dead and Jon is in open rebellion to Cersei.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Here's my prediction.

The Night King can bring him back, have to find the head though.

• Options

Edit:

Wasn't the bear attack during daytime? Am I misremembering that?

Watching it again I'd say it was the equivalent to dusk or dawn I guess? If it was the day it was during a really powerful blizzard. But point being there wasn't a lot of light.

Whatever the case the comparison I got was it wasn't much more light than a full moon on a clear night which is enough to let things be seen clearly and all but nowhere near the fully lit studio that particular portion was filmed in.

The specific part of the scene in question was short enough and intense enough that I didn't notice anything out of place and neither did the person I talked to when they watched it the first time. Their annoyance came more from the aspect of "Someone had to spend more time than they should have had to making that work because some jackasses in the studio couldn't be bothered to even try and match the lighting in the scene"

• Options
    Here's my prediction.

The excerpt Gilly was reading clearly meant to say that Jon's mom and real-dad married. So he's not actually a bastard, but he is a Targaryen. I don't know how their rules work if he could also be a Stark. But his name is clearly Targaryen officially. Just nobody currently knows, and Sam wasn't paying attention.

But it's written down and official.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Here's my prediction.

The excerpt Gilly was reading clearly meant to say that Jon's mom and real-dad married. So he's not actually a bastard, but he is a Targaryen. I don't know how their rules work if he could also be a Stark. But his name is clearly Targaryen officially. Just nobody currently knows, and Sam wasn't paying attention.

This show's craziness makes it extra difficult to make joke posts. :)

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Here's my prediction.

Well...
    It's written down and official that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. We don't know yet if there's a written, official record of Jon's birth. It's very likely there isn't, given Ned, Howland and some handmaid (possibly midwife) were the only survivors.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm going to make a prediction: that dragon doesn't breathe fire, it doesn't breathe ice, it breathes a cone that turns people into white walkers.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Here's my prediction.

Or at least
    Jon stark naked

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Family trees are no laughing matter!!!
    :P

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A dragon to melt the wall with.

Imagine the Night King's disappointment when the go to melt the wall and discover they have an ice dragon.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Winter has come for this thread.

A dream of spring resides here.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yall wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A dragon to melt the wall with.

Imagine the Night King's disappointment when the go to melt the wall and discover they have an ice dragon.

"New plan - giant ice ramp!"

edit - dammit, that would've been a great comment if it weren't a thread too late.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
This discussion has been closed.