As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Well, just put 25 down on one @ gamestop. Guy said they were only getting about 10 in, and I'm either the 3rd person to get one, or 2nd to last. I'm just glad I have one semi reserved.

I'll believe I'm getting one when I have it in hand and pay it off.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Target went up again for a whole 20 seconds... So frustrated with this process.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Man, I had hope this one was going to be better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfxgn1EkWc

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I can understand the frustration of people not being able to get what they want, but I'm really confused as to why I keep seeing people post "Why don't you just make more, Nintendo?"

These folks do realize scalpers are bonkers enough to buy as many as retailers will allow them to, right?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    most sites only let you order 2 max. if there were "enough", then people would be able to more easily acquire them. the problem seems to be whatever enough is that doesn't leave boxes on shelves for suppliers.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I've resigned myself to not getting one. Nintendo is really bad at this.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I can understand the frustration of people not being able to get what they want, but I'm really confused as to why I keep seeing people post "Why don't you just make more, Nintendo?"

These folks do realize scalpers are bonkers enough to buy as many as retailers will allow them to, right?

fl6aewyb9s06.png

This checks out...

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I feel like this one is on retailers who can't properly lock down order limits.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I knew I couldn't get one the second I heard best buy put theirs up at 1am.

I was saving to put it on my best buy card but they seemed to have catered directly to scalpers by putting it up so early in the morning. Even if they had sent me my email alert I was too far asleep.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Bestbuy Canada put there's up around 2pm my time so I was able to snag one. I don't really want it so it will probably end up being a gift for my niece who has been showing interest in some older-style games.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Thinkgeek has bundles up, that are garbage expensive for extra stupid stuff. I looked at that Zelda chess board which is cool, but an extra $110 for that and a lamp is insane.

www.thinkgeek.com/snes-classic-bundles

KoopahTroopah on
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular

Doesn't mean nintendo can't come out and say they're doing a 2nd run if they sell out of them. That seemed to cut down on some of the amiibo dumbassery when they said they were doing more runs of those.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

No, it's really on Nintendo's unwillingness to keep up with production. N64, Ocarina of Time, amiibo, 3DS Majora edition, Fire Emblem Fates SE... There's history there of Nintendo being entirely too conservative with their hardware production.

I'll give them a pass on the Wii because that really was lightning in a bottle, and on the switch because they're getting them out there. But here? Nintendo knows the history with the NES, but they're still keeping this one very limited. 100% on them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nintendo could manufacturer this thing along with the NES Classic for longer than a few months and still make a ton of money off of them. But they choose to limit their manufacturing and let everyone (scalpers and people who actually want them) buy them all and say they were a success.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nintendo could manufacturer this thing along with the NES Classic for longer than a few months and still make a ton of money off of them. But they choose to limit their manufacturing and let everyone (scalpers and people who actually want them) buy them all and say they were a success.

Maybe the scalpers ARE Nintendo!?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Someone on NowInStock commented how a GameStop employee came in and cut in front of everyone in line to secure his own preorder before he started with the line's preorders.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
      Nintendo had an ace up its sleeve the whole time: the collectors market.

oHw5R0V.jpg
      Someone on NowInStock commented how a GameStop employee came in and cut in front of everyone in line to secure his own preorder before he started with the line's preorders.

If it was pre-opening I'm not opposed to workplace benefits. If he resells it then he can go fuck himself.

Haha that's pretty vicious but I'd probably do the same if I worked there. There has to be SOME benefit to working at a GameStop.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        edited August 2017
        Keep in mind Nintendo already said they're making significantly more SNES Classics than the NES Classics. And don't forget, demand for NES Classics were much, much higher than anyone could have reasonably guessed given sales of other types of retro devices.

And yet this still happened.

My money's on scalper feeding frenzy.

cloudeagle on
        Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
        Not a huge fan of the TG bundles, but figured the extra stuff could just be Christmas presents. Can't put anything in my cart. The lowest 2 already are unavailable. The 3rd just sits and displays a progress spinner forever. The site itself is still snappy though.

steam_sig.png
      • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        edited August 2017
        Best Buy is driving me friggin insane right now. I paid with paypal and got an email shortly after saying that it "failed authorization" and I had 24 hrs to correct it before cancellation so I switched to debit card and of course nothing shows up and the option to even change payment dissapears. I call BB CS, the person on the end tells me it authorized and gives me a cc that I dont even recognize. Of course it still says failed authorization from paypal on my order page with no mention of the other card. I call up again and have them change it to my debt card on their end. The rep immediately tells me that authorization failed (to be honest said rep didnt really sound like they knew what they were talking about so I don't know what to believe) I also recieved an email saying that authorization failed and I have 24 hrs before they cancel...however now alongside the paypal failed authorization is the debt card number with the words "awaiting authorization". I call up a third time and the rep basically shrugged and told me to call my bank in case of a fraud alert...theres no fraud alert. Why is it so hard to get a straight answer from them? Why is it so damn hard to just pay for a thing?

clusterfucks on top of clusterfucks

PS I've checked billing info and made sure the card had enough money on it.

Handsome Costanza on
        Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
        cloudeagle wrote: »
        Keep in mind Nintendo already said they're making significantly more SNES Classics than the NES Classics. And don't forget, demand for NES Classics were much, much higher than anyone could have reasonably guessed given sales of other types of retro devices.

It'd be great if Nintendo ends up actually putting out far more than expected and the scalper's market crashed and burned. I seem to remember there being a rush on PS3s when they first came out, but the people scalping them on ebay quickly found they weren't able to make much more than retail price on them. I could be misremembering that, though.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
        SteevL wrote: »

It'd be great if Nintendo ends up actually putting out far more than expected and the scalper's market crashed and burned. I seem to remember there being a rush on PS3s when they first came out, but the people scalping them on ebay quickly found they weren't able to make much more than retail price on them. I could be misremembering that, though.

The market was there for the PS3 scalping. It just lasted a few months or so.

Agreed. There's no real reason why these need to be hard to come by.

I also think Nintendo should pony up and put these things out on some sort of VC for the Switch. The scarcity around these things is really a bummer.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
        edited August 2017
        I was on Walmart.com right when preorders went up. I added to cart, already had address and credit card info entered, submitted order, already sold out. You gotta be kidding me.

The silver lining is that my sister did the same and actually got one, which she's giving to me if it goes through. So I guess that's awesome. Still going to be looking for one for my brother-in-law though.

All of this mess was entirely expected. Nintendo is just so fucking ridiculously bad at everything except for making the actual games. Demand and component shortages I understand, what I'll never understand is Nintendo discontinuing these things after a few months and well before demand can be even remotely fulfilled.

That deserves a big "Fuck you, Nintendo."

RidleySaria on
        -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
      • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

its not even that. I'm sure its scalpers using sophisticated bots all linked to separate emails/accounts and just flooding the ordering process

maybe the retailers could take time to figure out why ten+ orders are all going to the same address from different accounts, but technically they all still ordered 1 per order

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
      • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Haha that's pretty vicious but I'd probably do the same if I worked there. There has to be SOME benefit to working at a GameStop.

A couple of years ago I was at a Best Buy during a Boxing Day sale, and two of the cashiers were talking about how the staff had already picked out some of the best deals that were advertised. As in, some console was a hot draw and marked down heavily, but they'd only gotten maybe 4 and staff had bought out most of them.

It's like those '70 inch plasma tv for $50' things that get people killed during Black Friday, when the reality is that the store has maybe 2, if that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
        Naphtali wrote: »

its not even that. I'm sure its scalpers using sophisticated bots all linked to separate emails/accounts and just flooding the ordering process

maybe the retailers could take time to figure out why ten+ orders are all going to the same address from different accounts, but technically they all still ordered 1 per order

Of course scalpers who take that kind of effort for botting probably already have friends who'd let them ship one to their house as a proxy for 10 bucks.

steam_sig.png
      • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
        SteevL wrote: »

Yeah I wish they'd just produce a metric fuck-ton and burn the scalper market to a crisp.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
        I've been randomly checking the amazon app since they went up on best buy last night. Wondering why Amazon is being so slow to pull the trigger on turning on the pre-orders.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
        Naphtali wrote: »

Of course scalpers who take that kind of effort for botting probably already have friends who'd let them ship one to their house as a proxy for 10 bucks.

absolutely, they'd be stupid to make it too obvious. even just a bunch of contiguous PO boxes at the same post office.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
        I was on Walmart.com right when preorders went up. I added to cart, already had address and credit card info entered, submitted order, already sold out. You gotta be kidding me.

The silver lining is that my sister did the same and actually got one, which she's giving to me if it goes through. So I guess that's awesome. Still going to be looking for one for my brother-in-law though.

All of this mess was entirely expected. Nintendo is just so fucking ridiculously bad at everything except for making the actual games. Demand and component shortages I understand, what I'll never understand is Nintendo discontinuing these things after a few months and well before demand can be even remotely fulfilled.

I do love going to Nintendo's twitter and reading replies about the SNES classic to posts of completely different topics. I wonder if they read it

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
          Fucking hell Nintendo. Is it my money in particular you hate or do you just find the concept of making money distasteful?

I do love going to Nintendo's twitter and reading replies about the SNES classic to posts of completely different topics. I wonder if they read it

Probably. These days Twitter is one of the most effective ways to talk to a corp. At least in the US. I really hope GS grumbles at Nintendo for burning down their servers.
          I'm sure the 4 units each store sold, in the actual store, was worth their website being completely dead for 3 hours.

steam_sig.png
        • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
          I've been randomly checking the amazon app since they went up on best buy last night. Wondering why Amazon is being so slow to pull the trigger on turning on the pre-orders.

It's because they already came and went at 4 a.m. last night. Sorry, man.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
        • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

Amazon went up at 1:45ish AM (PT) this morning and are already sold out. The listing that's been up was just some guy, not Amazon's official allotment. They created a new listing that was verified by customer service reps and it's long done.

Probably. These days Twitter is one of the most effective ways to talk to a corp. At least in the US. I really hope GS grumbles at Nintendo for burning down their servers.
          I'm sure the 4 units each store sold, in the actual store, was worth their website being completely dead for 3 hours.

On that note, it would be really interesting to see comparisons of each major retailer's revenue from selling these vs increased traffic/hosting costs, site downtime, staff time etc.

steam_sig.png
        • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
          HeraldS wrote: »
          Fucking hell Nintendo. Is it my money in particular you hate or do you just find the concept of making money distasteful?

I'm honestly surprised the classic series just wasn't a Virtual Console box that connects to the Nintendo store to buy classic games.
          In todays technology ages and you can make a Raspberry Pi box for like 90 bucks. It seems like it would be EASY money for Nintendo. A Nintendo branded box that comes with like a handful of games up front and can be expanded by their own shop. It would be like minimal effort.

Instead they go for artificial scarcity and not taking my money.
          Meanwhile at Toys R Us they have Atari and Sega boxes that have like 80 games loaded up and play old carts for like 80 bucks.
          Just another instance of Nintendo making Nintendo style business decisions.

Ceno wrote: »

Amazon went up at 1:45ish AM (PT) this morning and are already sold out. The listing that's been up was just some guy, not Amazon's official allotment. They created a new listing that was verified by customer service reps and it's long done.

This is why I hate that they just let any rando make a store and listing.

steam_sig.png