As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Fucking hell Nintendo. Is it my money in particular you hate or do you just find the concept of making money distasteful?

I'm honestly surprised the classic series just wasn't a Virtual Console box that connects to the Nintendo store to buy classic games.
    In todays technology ages and you can make a Raspberry Pi box for like 90 bucks. It seems like it would be EASY money for Nintendo. A Nintendo branded box that comes with like a handful of games up front and can be expanded by their own shop. It would be like minimal effort.

Instead they go for artificial scarcity and not taking my money.
    Meanwhile at Toys R Us they have Atari and Sega boxes that have like 80 games loaded up and play old carts for like 80 bucks.
    Just another instance of Nintendo making Nintendo style business decisions.

It's a shame those Atari/Sega ones blow. One because the thing sucks, and the other because the games suck. :P I'll let you decide which is which.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like the SNES Classic broke GameStop's site.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fucking hell Nintendo. Is it my money in particular you hate or do you just find the concept of making money distasteful?

I'm honestly surprised the classic series just wasn't a Virtual Console box that connects to the Nintendo store to buy classic games.
    In todays technology ages and you can make a Raspberry Pi box for like 90 bucks. It seems like it would be EASY money for Nintendo. A Nintendo branded box that comes with like a handful of games up front and can be expanded by their own shop. It would be like minimal effort.

Meanwhile at Toys R Us they have Atari and Sega boxes that have like 80 games loaded up and play old carts for like 80 bucks.

It's a shame those Atari/Sega ones blow. One because the thing sucks, and the other because the games suck. :P I'll let you decide which is which.

does the sega one suck?

I've been eyeing it for a while

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If this BB pre-order gets cancelled I am going to lose my shit so fully that I wont he able to go to the bathroom for years. What's the point of having CS reps that don't know what they're talking about and can't do anything that a regular user can't also do? It pisses me off even more than just talking to a robot.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

does the sega one suck?

The Sega one does indeed suck.

The new Atari one's good though.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like the SNES Classic broke GameStop's site.

Yeah, it's been down for a little over 2 hours now i think.

steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

does the sega one suck?

The Sega one got bad initial impressions due to dropped frames, bad sound, and a bunch of shovelware thrown on that was awful. The company that made it claimed the first batch of review units had bad firmware and they'd send new ones out, but I haven't heard much beyond that. One of the guys at Gamespot mentioned that each individual button on a controller has to be synched with the system before it becomes usable, so he just ends up pressing all the buttons after starting it up. It sounds like there are a lot of little things that make it undesirable.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I can understand the frustration of people not being able to get what they want, but I'm really confused as to why I keep seeing people post "Why don't you just make more, Nintendo?"

These folks do realize scalpers are bonkers enough to buy as many as retailers will allow them to, right?

If the NES classic hadn't been so scarce for the entirety of it's lifetime and then announced as a limited time thing, scalpers wouldn't target this as much.

It's entirely Nintendo's fault. Scalpers exist no matter what. Make enough so that there's no demand for the scalpers and you don't have as many scalpers.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The bitchy response to "there are Sega and Atari consoles all over" is that nobody really gives a shit about Atari and Sega nostalgia. I mean, no disrespect to Sega lovers, but the world isn't gnashing at the teeth for it compared to the Nintendo systems, and the actual quality of the unit isn't really to blame for that (though it certainly doesn't help).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    cloudeagle wrote: »

does the sega one suck?

The Sega one does indeed suck.

The new Atari one's good though.

ouch

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    The sega one isn't even made by sega, it's the same shitty AtGames company that they've been selling out too for years with all the various genesis flashback consoles.

The new one is pretty much no different other than it having a composite to hdmi converter built in.

The Nintendo one is made by Nintendo, and works as well as you would expect a Nintendo console to work.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    SteevL wrote: »

does the sega one suck?

The Sega one got bad initial impressions due to dropped frames, bad sound, and a bunch of shovelware thrown on that was awful. The company that made it claimed the first batch of review units had bad firmware and they'd send new ones out, but I haven't heard much beyond that. One of the guys at Gamespot mentioned that each individual button on a controller has to be synched with the system before it becomes usable, so he just ends up pressing all the buttons after starting it up. It sounds like there are a lot of little things that make it undesirable.

That and the fact that the game library is sparse, missing loads of big games, and padded out with non-Genesis shovel ware.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna blame Nintendo...yet. Who knows, maybe each retailer received a million units? Obviously not, but it isn't Nintendo's fault if places are selling out super fast (stupid bots...grumble grumble).

Now if the initial is something dumb like 100k and Nintendo adds 10k per month, then yes, screw them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm still not getting one, but I continue to enjoy the show. Muwahahahaha!

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm not gonna blame Nintendo...yet. Who knows, maybe each retailer received a million units? Obviously not, but it isn't Nintendo's fault if places are selling out super fast (stupid bots...grumble grumble).

Now if the initial is something dumb like 100k and Nintendo adds 10k per month, then yes, screw them.

While not great, I far prefer Nintendo doing the bolded and continuing to release 10K a month until demand is sated unlike what they did with the NES classic.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    I don't know why anyone thinks nintendo will release a steady supply of these. They didn't with the NES Classic or any of the zelda amiibos. you know, the stuff people were (and still are!) asking for.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I mean the answer is simple but we dont like it as Americans. They don't have, and most likely want, to release more. It is a true one off/collectors thing in their minds.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gamestop website was briefly back up with bundles that actually had relevant stuff, like wireless controllers.
    Site died as i tried to add one to my cart.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    p8Pnk3U.jpg

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Anyone who pre-ordered at Best Buy with a credit card, what does it say on the order status page next to the info on your card? Is it Awaiting Authorization? I'm getting nervous.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Rip

Edit:
    Anyone who pre-ordered at Best Buy with a credit card, what does it say on the order status page next to the info on your card? Is it Awaiting Authorization? I'm getting nervous.

Mine doesn't, but I've had that before and I think it was fine. Best Buy's website is shit

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

This is what I got in the mail:

c8hapb4l4r4y.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Probably the safest bet for them.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Rip

Edit:

Mine doesn't, but I've had that before and I think it was fine. Best Buy's website is shit

9jrcecwmsqia.jpeg

Toys R Us on the 29th.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    The Nintendo one is made by Nintendo, and works as well as you would expect a Nintendo console to work.

So it can be used as impromptu body armour in a pinch?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    9/29: Clusterfuck R Us

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i had it in my cart on the target app and later on the gamestop app and both cleared my cart when i tried to check out /anger
    gamestop also appeared to get ~10 per store if you walked in. but they also appear to have bundled them with a ton of garbage stuff like books? F off gamestop!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It's honestly probably still safer going to Toys R Us than Best Buy the day of.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It's honestly probably still safer going to Toys R Us than Best Buy the day of.

It depends. I assume both will be swamped. It's also hard to say what TRU stock will be, whereas Best Buy is likely to get "a lot" - "a lot" indicating more than other places like Target, Walmart and GameStop (who will actually have none for non-pre-orders because they suck), not actually a lot.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yes, we keep them all in the back with everything else you've ever wanted in your life. Let me tell you, mucking out all those ponies is a hassle.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It sucks and I feel for you guys who missed the first round. I have a feeling we'll see a second round of pre-orders go up before launch.

It really would have been better though if Nintendo had done pre-orders earlier and built to order instead of the other way around.

With that said it has been so long since I've played Super Mario RPG that I really cannot wait to Play It Again.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I can't keep up with this shit anymore. I'm finally at the point in my life where I've discovered something that can make say with 100% truth that I am too old for this shit.

Steam: offday
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, we could have bought a bot to do this for us.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Polygon wrote:
    For those who weren’t able to get their hands on a SNES Classic Edition pre-order, the console will be available in stores on Sept. 29 for $79.99.
    Will it, Polygon? Will it?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    No preorders/just go to the store in the morning is the best defence against scalpers though, when combined with 1 per customer.

(I got my pre-order the day after the online pre-orders in Europe, cause they had a separate set of in-store pre-orders)

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's some pretty good journalism right there. Speedy turnaround time.

Also, it's infuriating. And explains a lot.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    anoffday wrote: »
    I can't keep up with this shit anymore. I'm finally at the point in my life where I've discovered something that can make say with 100% truth that I am too old for this shit.

I'm right there with you. I really gave it my best shot today, and I never even had a chance. So yeah, I'm wiping my hands of this whole goddamn fiasco and diving back into my formidable Steam backlog.

Shit, who am I kidding, I'm just going to play more Rocket League.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

I'm right there with you. I really gave it my best shot today, and I never even had a chance. So yeah, I'm wiping my hands of this whole goddamn fiasco and diving back into my formidable Steam backlog.

Shit, who am I kidding, I'm just going to play more Rocket League.

I'm taking the 29th off, and I'll go to a couple stores and try my luck there, but that's my last shot. If I can't get one then I'll go home and play samus returns or monster hunter stories the rest of the day and go on with my life. I'd love one, but this is too much work. It's crazy how hard it is to just give a company my money. I just want to play some damn video games, but these scalpers and limited quantities of systems and games and everything being rare or exclusive is ruining this hobby.

Steam: offday
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    It's kind of amazing how I was never interested in the NES Classic until I secured a SNES Classic pre-order.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    I've called Best Buy customer support 5 times today and I've gotten 5 different responses each time. The first one told me it takes 24 hours to update, the second one told me I need to call my bank, the third told me that I needed to call paypal and the fourth told me that everything was fine despite the fact that I have red X's all over my order status page.

What happened was when I originally ordered I used a cc on my paypal that was expired on accident, so authorization failed, then I switched to my debt card and authorization still failed despite everything being good with billing and funds etc. I then got the plethora of responses seen above. One of the reps said it was because of the paypal charge still being active but honestly I don't have the energy to call paypal at this point. Fuck it, I'm just gonna let it go and try to find it somewhere else. I do know one thing though I'm never shopping at Best Buy again.

Resident 8bitdo expert.