As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ducktales 2017

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Donald was never really a villain in my mind. He was certainly an antagonist (especially for Chip and Dale), but it's not like he was ever actually evil that I can recall. Though they have moderated his temper from his earlier appearances, like I remember in one of the earliest cartoons he was in he got so mad at a phone call that he pulled the phone line through the wall, including multiple telephone polls.

He has literally been a NAZI, and often gets put in a Devil costume. He's basically an Id. So are the classic triplets, though.

Donald (in the nightmare propoganda short) was a German civilian forced to show his obedience to Hitler at a constant threat to his own life and sanity. The point of the short was that the Nazi way was bad for everyone, even the Germans. Also in the shorts where he runs afoul of Chip and Dale, he's usually trying to do something reasonable like set up a hammock or plant in his garden. Chip and Dale are vermin living on or near his property.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The one I always remember when thinking of Donald vs Chip and Dale is the one where Donald chops down their tree to use as his Christmas tree.

steam_sig.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    My favorite bit is when launchpad started reminiscing about family and then went "Oh no the ground!"

EDIT: oh God, I kinda forgot Launchpads whole thing is that he can pilot anything and crash everything

He's a pilot.
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Donald was never really a villain in my mind. He was certainly an antagonist (especially for Chip and Dale), but it's not like he was ever actually evil that I can recall. Though they have moderated his temper from his earlier appearances, like I remember in one of the earliest cartoons he was in he got so mad at a phone call that he pulled the phone line through the wall, including multiple telephone polls.

He has literally been a NAZI, and often gets put in a Devil costume. He's basically an Id. So are the classic triplets, though.

Donald (in the nightmare propoganda short) was a German civilian forced to show his obedience to Hitler at a constant threat to his own life and sanity. The point of the short was that the Nazi way was bad for everyone, even the Germans. Also in the shorts where he runs afoul of Chip and Dale, he's usually trying to do something reasonable like set up a hammock or plant in his garden. Chip and Dale are vermin living on or near his property.

I'm not saying he *is* a villain, but like Daffy he leans that way a bit. He's the most likely of the three core Disney guys to do something bad, and he gets put in a Devil costume more than others.

Just do a GIS for Donald Devil and you'll see plenty.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    The one I always remember when thinking of Donald vs Chip and Dale is the one where Donald chops down their tree to use as his Christmas tree.

For some reason, thats part of an annual christmas special thats been shown here since the early 60's.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

For some reason, thats part of an annual christmas special thats been shown here since the early 60's.

Apple Corp!

Who's it for?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Apple Corp!

Who's it for?

Baltimore!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I seem to recall donald faking his own death to get back at huey, dewy, and louie at some point?

Or the other way around?

Some disney is pretty messed up

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I seem to recall donald faking his own death to get back at huey, dewy, and louie at some point?

Or the other way around?

The triplets definitely faked their deaths and subsequent reappearance as ghosts to trick Donald. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but Donald was definitely being a jerk to them in some way.

steam_sig.png
    Soups On is the short

and they faked donalds death

In donalds defense, he only asked them to wash up before dinner as they were literally covered in filth

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There's a halloween episode where he pretends to be an escaped gorilla. And then the gorilla attacks him.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Apple Corp!

Who's it for?

Baltimore!

I saw that dozens of times and never understood it. I always assumed it was one of those old references from when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Or the other way around?

The triplets definitely faked their deaths and subsequent reappearance as ghosts to trick Donald. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but Donald was definitely being a jerk to them in some way.

Speaking of which, I remember a short where Donald catches the triplets with a box of cigars, forces them to smoke EVERY SINGLE ONE to their obvious discomfort and sickness, only to discover at the end they were a present for him.

THAT WAS THE ENTIRE SHORT.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I remember that!

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    My favorite bit is when launchpad started reminiscing about family and then went "Oh no the ground!"

EDIT: oh God, I kinda forgot Launchpads whole thing is that he can pilot anything and crash everything

He's a pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvptEiiUgQ

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Launchpad is so weird in the new version.

I love it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I love it.

He kinda loses that in the original over time.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hey guys! Wanted to watch this with my daughter over the weekend but I couldn't find a way to legally watch in Canada. We don't seem to be able to get the Disney XD app here. Advice?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Hey guys! Wanted to watch this with my daughter over the weekend but I couldn't find a way to legally watch in Canada. We don't seem to be able to get the Disney XD app here. Advice?

Its on all the pay streaming services iirc. Not sure if that applies up north though

• Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    The youtube disney channel has the first episode up for free.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Only for US though

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Apple Corp!

Who's it for?

Baltimore!

I saw that dozens of times and never understood it. I always assumed it was one of those old references from when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

5 yr old me never understood it, but still thought it was hilarious watching Donald get pelted with apple cores.

I love it.

I think the show runners are on record as saying they want their Launchpad to be consistently weirder. I'm taking this as a good sign:

https://youtu.be/3elTVTt_ER4

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

I love it.

I think the show runners are on record as saying they want their Launchpad to be consistently weirder. I'm taking this as a good sign:

https://youtu.be/3elTVTt_ER4

Yes yes yes keep Launchpad like this throughout the entire show please.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Is it September yet?

I wonder how they'll handle launchpad in the darkwing duck episodes considering he's DW's pilot too

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Wasn't he only the pilot during/after the 1st episode when Drake was already Darkwing?
    *edit*
    I'm going to end up buying all the damn dvds, aren't I?

lunchbox12682 on
    I thought he was always the pilot, but I could very well be wrong

Wasn't he only the pilot during/after the 1st episode when Drake was already Darkwing?
    *edit*

Ah, another reminder of Disney's damn tendency to release only part of the DVDs for a series. Darkwing only has half unless something's changed.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say Launchpad is weird.

Just really good-natured and very focused.

On being a pilot.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Only for US though

Right. So us Canuckistanis are out of luck then?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    So is there nowhere I can pay money to watch this in Canada?

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    *edit*

Yup. Launchpad came in only with the start of the show, and was a pre-existing Darkwing Duck fanboy (though the creators said DW's universe was completely separate from Ducktales, and just happened to share Gizmoduck and Launchpad)

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Wife and I loved this. I can't believe how much I like a reboot of a childhood favorite. Wife thought Glomgold was the best part.
    Where will we be able to watch the rest of the series?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Wife and I loved this. I can't believe how much I like a reboot of a childhood favorite. Wife thought Glomgold was the best part.
    Where will we be able to watch the rest of the series?

It airs on Disney XD. They have an app if you have a cable subscription.

My Nephew loves this. He calls it Ducks(he's two).
    I figured he'd like the old show but nope. He can tell the difference and does not care for it

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I feel like they wanted Patrick Warburton for Launchpad and had to settle.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I feel like they wanted Patrick Warburton for Launchpad and had to settle.

I feel like you think Patrick Warburton would have been a better voice for Launchpad and pulled "they wanted" out of nowhere because it fit with your own personal desire.

On the other hand now you've made me consider all of the Launchpad lines in his voice and now I can't decide if it's brilliant or terrible

I also feel like I need to poop so now there's an irresistible imperative

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I don't even want to think of Brock Samson anywhere near this happy-go-lucky duck family.

"...They hit me with an airplane..." <eye twitch>

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fun mental exercise: imagine H Jon Benjamin as the new Lunchpad.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fun mental exercise: imagine H Jon Benjamin as the new Lunchpad.

Replace "I'm a pilot." with "I'm a spy."?