As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to Eat at PAX West: Diners, Dungeons and Drive-ins

2»

• MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    If the Westlake mall site is updated, the foodcourt is still not in operation? I'm surprised! My buddies and I will be looking for more places to try out, especially if it's closer to the Westin :o

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    MiddyBot wrote: »
    If the Westlake mall site is updated, the foodcourt is still not in operation? I'm surprised! My buddies and I will be looking for more places to try out, especially if it's closer to the Westin :o

I looked online and could find no indication that the Westlake Foodcourt had reopened. Which sucks. It's sooo convenient during PAX. I was sad in 2016 when I walked over and it was closed.

• KeibiKeibi Registered User regular
    Might be a weird question - does anyone know if there is a good place for soft pretzels near the convention center?

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Keibi wrote: »
    Might be a weird question - does anyone know if there is a good place for soft pretzels near the convention center?
    Can't speak for West but if you're planning on doing unplugged boy are you going to be in the right city.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I go to Dahlia Bakery at least once per PAX, their breakfast sandwich is unbelievable.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • VillainelleVillainelle Registered User new member
    Re: Capitol Hill -- don't forget light rail! It will also take you down to the International District for Uwajimaya food court and tons of other cheap, delicious options in that neighborhood. You can buy a day pass to zip around all day without worry.

Additionally, the building boom in Seattle has seen some great new places open adjacent to downtown recently. One of my favorites, which is both in Downtown(ish) and the ID is Great State Burger.

If you're 21+ and fancy, try French wine bar Le Caviste.

I feel like I should start a separate booze thread, because that's really my specialty

• MajorMarmotMajorMarmot Victoria BCRegistered User regular

Seconding this question! Especially a place with cinnamon pretzels.

Last time, I bought a pretzel from a guy on the street...never again

HsJaJWx.png
  • ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seattle has quite a few food trucks, ranging from meh to excellent, and which tend to move around, as is their nature. Some of the spots are not far from the Convention Center. You can find where the trucks will be using the following website:

https://seattlefoodtruck.com/search

I particularly like the Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Delfino's and the British-style fish and chips from Nosh.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    ddt58 wrote: »
    Seattle has quite a few food trucks, ranging from meh to excellent, and which tend to move around, as is their nature. Some of the spots are not far from the Convention Center. You can find where the trucks will be using the following website:

https://seattlefoodtruck.com/search

I particularly like the Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Delfino's and the British-style fish and chips from Nosh.

Last year, there were usually a couple food trucks parked on 9th near Pike. Not the same ones every day, so if you don't like what you see, try again the next day.

• Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

DO NOT EAT ANY OF THE CHICKEN.... I lost Saturday due to late night chicken from there PAX 2014

That's kind of a shitty thing to put on a recommendation thread when it's 3 years old AND there have been changes to a restaurant. Plus, how do you know for sure it was the chicken?

You're right, there have been changes and the chicken thing I had is gone. The chicken, which was literally a chicken breast done teriyaki style on its own on a plate was not consumed by anyone else. Of 4 people who went to eat, I was the only one with their head in the toilet and I hadn't had any booze. Everything else was fantastic. Food poisoning, especially good food poisoning that steals a day of PAX and makes it so you don't really eat for a week after leaves its mark on your psyche, and colours your opinion and sense of humour for years after. Also, they don't do the awesome specials anymore...

• DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

DO NOT EAT ANY OF THE CHICKEN.... I lost Saturday due to late night chicken from there PAX 2014

That's kind of a shitty thing to put on a recommendation thread when it's 3 years old AND there have been changes to a restaurant. Plus, how do you know for sure it was the chicken?

You're right, there have been changes and the chicken thing I had is gone. The chicken, which was literally a chicken breast done teriyaki style on its own on a plate was not consumed by anyone else. Of 4 people who went to eat, I was the only one with their head in the toilet and I hadn't had any booze. Everything else was fantastic. Food poisoning, especially good food poisoning that steals a day of PAX and makes it so you don't really eat for a week after leaves its mark on your psyche, and colours your opinion and sense of humour for years after. Also, they don't do the awesome specials anymore...

But if I remember from one of your other posts in the hotels thread, the plus side is you found out how good the concierge is at the Olive 8 and how nice their bathrooms really are :wink:

On topic of food, Pacific place mall has a few restaurants at the top and is home to a second Pike Place Chowder, which is almost always my lunch spot! Sometimes it is crowded but most of the time when I hit it there is a table or 3 available.

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • chetlinchetlin Registered User new member
    On Sunday 11-3, Columbia City Bakery is at the Capitol Hill Farmers Market and they have ok-ish pretzels (but really good pretzel bread and pretzel knots..I got one today in fact). It's a little bit from the convention center, on Broadway near the light rail stop in Capitol Hill. But if you want to head away from the PAX area a bit in the middle of the day you can head up there and also get a nectarine or something to eat too. Lots of fruit at that market now.

• RyanJWRyanJW Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Some of my favorite places from living here over the past few years :) There's a time and a place for the Cheesecake Factory - not this weekend!

Quick Breakfast:

- Top Pot Doughnuts (All over) - if you want it extremely quick and close to downtown - there is one not far from the market. But for the full experience, go to the 5th Ave. one closer to the Space Needle.
    - Daily Dozen Doughnuts (Pike Place Market/Downtown) - Stall at the market, they make doughnuts to order - they are pretty hot when you buy them but fantastic.
    - Biscuit Bitch (Downtown) - Good, but sometimes can be a long wait.
    - Morsel (U-District) - Another great biscuit spot - a little far from downtown but IMO better than B.B.

Extended Breakfast:

- Voula's (U-District) - a bit of a drive from downtown, but really good, worth the trip. Be prepared to wait on the weekend, though.
    - Portage Bay (All over, if you're downtown, I'd go to the South Lake Union location) - another good one, really good breakfast bar with fruit and toppings for your pancakes/french toast
    - Skillet (Capitol Hill) Loved breakfast here - the Serious Toast is pretty incredible
    - Ivar's Sunday Brunch - People have mixed opinions on this, but if you're free on Sunday and want to eat a lot of good food - this is a really nice atmosphere and the food is really good

Quick Lunch:

- MOD Pizza (all over) - most of you are familiar with this place - with a location only a few blocks from the convention center, it's quick, relatively inexpensive, and a solid choice
    - goPoke (International District) - fantastic poke (and you can get Dole Whip and shaved ice here as well!) - worth the trip
    - Pike Place Market - So many options here. Brave the crowds - it's worth it.
    - Salumi - if you have time (they're only open Monday-Friday) - they cure their own meats and make their own cheese in house - REALLY good

Dinner:

- Hi-Life (Ballard) - try to go here on Sunday night. They have a family-style fried chicken dinner that is incredible
    - Windy City Pie (Interbay/Queen Anne) - If you like deep dish pizza - you need to go here. Plus, it's right next to one of the best breweries in Seattle (Holy Mountain) - order a pie and bring it over to enjoy with some Holy Mountain brews
    - Pink Door
    - Tsukushinbo (International District) - Make a reservation for this signless restaurant (really hard to tell where it is unless you know where you're going - but once you find it...!)

Dinner (Hey, Big Spender)

- Shiro's (Downtown) - The omakase at Shiro's was life-changing. Don't want to set unrealistic expectations but...

Dessert and Coffee
    - Shug's (Downtown) - Old-timey ice cream shop
    - Molly Moon's (multiple locations) - Great flavors, usually a line
    - Cupcake Royale (downtown) - cupcakes and ice cream available here - not bad
    - Starbucks Roastery (Capital Hill - just a few blocks from the convention center) - Starbucks' non-Pike Place tourist trap :) great coffee options here, lots of cool merchandise too - try some concept drinks that haven't made it to the stores yet
    - La Marzocco Cafe (Belltown/Queen Anne) - Right near the space needle inside KEXP studios - they have a different resident coffee roaster in house every month - awesome space and really good coffee (y'know, if you're tired of the Starbucks stuff)

Beer

- Fremont Brewing Company (Fremont) - Good stuff here, their IPAs are good and usually have some brewery exclusive beers on draft too.
    - Holy Mountain (Interbay) - Lots of good sours and they usually have at least one good pale and dark available
    - Reuben's Brews (Ballard) - Lots of good IPAs here too
    - Chuck's Hop Shop (Central District and Greenwood) - Tons of great beers on top at this bottle shop - stop by and grab some bottles to bring home!
    - Delaurenti's - If you're staying downtown, this deli at the market has a pretty solid bottle selection

There's a lot here - feel free to message me if you'd like further recommendations but these are my favorites.

Currently Playing:
    PS4: Yakuza Kiwami
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Gonna be that person and ask, Biscuit Bitch VS Piroshky Piroshky. Who wins for an afternoon snack/meal ?

• Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    RyanJW wrote: »

- Shiro's (Downtown) - The omakase at Shiro's was life-changing. Don't want to set unrealistic expectations but...
    His new(er) place. Kashiba, down by the market. Even more spendy and even more unrealistic omakase expectations. Lined up 2 hours before opening to sit at the counter on the Thursday before PAX last year, and I wasn't the first in line.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gonna be that person and ask, Biscuit Bitch VS Piroshky Piroshky. Who wins for an afternoon snack/meal ?
    You really need to go to both.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular

I was just there yesterday, the food court is still closed. They have a hall with a Subway, a pizza place, and a fish-taco place, and one other restaurant elsewhere (I forget what) and that’s pretty much it.

• MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    I was just there yesterday, the food court is still closed. They have a hall with a Subway, a pizza place, and a fish-taco place, and one other restaurant elsewhere (I forget what) and that’s pretty much it.
    Huh, inside the mall there's a the hall with the Subway, pizza, and fish-taco place? That's new to me, I think, so we'll try checking it out! And that last restaurant might be the Chinese cuisine one on the ground floor?

Thank you for sharing that! c:

RyanJW wrote: »

His new(er) place. Kashiba, down by the market. Even more spendy and even more unrealistic omakase expectations. Lined up 2 hours before opening to sit at the counter on the Thursday before PAX last year, and I wasn't the first in line.

Wow. Haven't been yet but have heard some great things. Will have to go there for the next special occasion.

Currently Playing:
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Had a business lunch at Chinook's a couple of weeks ago and the person we were dining with said he went to Kashiba and it was amazing. He lives in the Bahamas, very well traveled, etc. etc. Anyway, I've heard good things and reading this post has made me want to go even more.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Senor_TacoSenor_Taco BelltownRegistered User new member
    edited August 2017
    Little Woody's is a great burger joint 4 blocks away from pax. Roccos pizza (10 min walk) is great for slices to go (dining-in needs reservations). Fogon (another 5 blocks uphill from Little Woody's) is a good Mexican restaurant. 24 hour restaurants: 5-point cafe, beth's cafe, Mecca (open till 3am), and Ihop.

almost forgot!!!! New Din Tai Fung in the pac place mall. Top floor.

Senor_Taco on
  • Color Blind HoneymanColor Blind Honeyman Registered User new member
    Lowell's in Pike Place Market has a bar on their 2nd floor with intriguing drinks, local beers and great Pacific Northwest breakfasts & lunches overlooking the waterfront. The Alibi Room in Pike Place Market has great little wood fired pizzas. The El Camino taco truck by Safeco Field has awesome burritos.

• Reve NoireReve Noire Registered User regular
    Hello! Asking for suggestion. Honey and I decided we wanted to dress up and go to a nice dinner we have the hotel right next to the convention. We are already going to a laid back dinner at Grill from Ipanema. Any suggestions for a must go? I find Ruth's Stake House a bit psycho.

Reve Noire wrote: »
    Hello! Asking for suggestion. Honey and I decided we wanted to dress up and go to a nice dinner we have the hotel right next to the convention. We are already going to a laid back dinner at Grill from Ipanema. Any suggestions for a must go? I find Ruth's Stake House a bit psycho.

Check out El Gaucho, AQUA by El Gaucho, or Matt's at the Market for something a little fancier.

Currently Playing:
  • sye46sye46 Registered User regular

if you want to do fancy and get dressed up, try Canlis. It's the essential must visit fancy restaurant in seattle. It's not in downtown though, it's in Queen Anne, so you'll need to uber it.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Second the suggestion for El Gaucho, but it's also a South American inspired steakhouse similar to Grill from Ipanema. However, it's pretty swank and the interior is goddamn fantastic.

I would personally skip the Grill and go to Lecosho for your casual dinner instead, then hit El Gaucho later.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    :( So sad my 12 YO is not a foodie.

• Senor_TacoSenor_Taco BelltownRegistered User new member

Go to Le Petit Cochon in Fremont; True Seattle dining with a bonus of the fremont troll 3 blocks away, a 16 foot Lenin statue (see it before these new transplants demand removal) ), and a cold-war rocket fuselage just around the corner from Lenin.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Huh, inside the mall there's a the hall with the Subway, pizza, and fish-taco place? That's new to me, I think, so we'll try checking it out! And that last restaurant might be the Chinese cuisine one on the ground floor?

Thank you for sharing that! c:
    My response might be too late for some, but...that food hall is on the ground floor, on the left when coming from the front (Pine road). It doesn’t look like the hall will lead to food, but there is a sign in front. The pizza-by-the-slice place is nice and cheap, the slices big. The Taco place is Taco Del Mar. The hall was actually there last year, but like I say, it doesn’t look like it’ll lead to food, it looks like it’ll lead to restrooms or the back rooms of the mall, so easy to overlook.

Dreamwriter on
  • cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

The Butchers Table or Cantinetta in Wallingford is good too.

cedelacruz on
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    for fast food, steak n shake by the benyorara is good.