As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ducktales 2017

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Wife and I loved this. I can't believe how much I like a reboot of a childhood favorite. Wife thought Glomgold was the best part.
    Where will we be able to watch the rest of the series?

Sadly, the next episode isn't until the end of September. Until then, they will re-air the pilot roughly 7000 times. Disney scheduling is weird.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    Wife and I loved this. I can't believe how much I like a reboot of a childhood favorite. Wife thought Glomgold was the best part.

Sadly, the next episode isn't until the end of September. Until then, they will re-air the pilot roughly 7000 times. Disney scheduling is weird.

Eh, if the time sheets I've seen are accurate, Cartoon Network is worse.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The ages of CN where Ed, Edd and Eddy aired on 90% of the schedule.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The ages of CN where Ed, Edd and Eddy aired on 90% of the schedule.

As opposed to the current age, where Teen Titans Go airs on 90% of the schedule.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I loved how Launchpad knew Swedish.

Or that the snake venom made him speak Swedish, which is actually even more hilarious.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd love it if Launchpad is basically an incompetent Renaissance man. Can do just about anything! ...badly.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what he said (in English)? Google is failing me.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Or that the snake venom made him speak Swedish, which is actually even more hilarious.

It's an inside gag - for some reason, the Swedes are duck crazy, and have been one of the biggest fans of Donald Duck comics for decades.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DunderDunder Registered User regular

It's an inside gag - for some reason, the Swedes are duck crazy, and have been one of the biggest fans of Donald Duck comics for decades.

This is true. in Sweden the defining Disney character is Donald Duck, not Mickey Mouse. Why this is I don't know. My guess is amore expansive world/more supporting characters led to more comic stories being written and thus made DD the most common figure.

• Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    Donald's more popular in Finland as well. Mostly because we feel sympathy and a sense of solidarity for him, with him never getting a break.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Donald was never really a villain in my mind. He was certainly an antagonist (especially for Chip and Dale), but it's not like he was ever actually evil that I can recall. Though they have moderated his temper from his earlier appearances, like I remember in one of the earliest cartoons he was in he got so mad at a phone call that he pulled the phone line through the wall, including multiple telephone polls.

He has literally been a NAZI, and often gets put in a Devil costume. He's basically an Id. So are the classic triplets, though.

Donald (in the nightmare propoganda short) was a German civilian forced to show his obedience to Hitler at a constant threat to his own life and sanity. The point of the short was that the Nazi way was bad for everyone, even the Germans.

I used to love the Chip and Dale shorts.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Launchpad is so weird in the new version.

I love it.

He kinda loses that in the original over time.

I think the show runners are on record as saying they want their Launchpad to be consistently weirder. I'm taking this as a good sign:

https://youtu.be/3elTVTt_ER4

I saw this the other day and I love it to death.

I will more than likely be fandubbing a scene or two that includes Launchpad at some point in the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just hope against hope that this leads to a Darkwing Duck reboot show also.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Dark Wing Duck, Rescue Rangers and Talespin being updated for a new generation would all make me quite happy. Now I just need WB to get off their asses and bring back Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.

steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Donald's more popular in Finland as well. Mostly because we feel sympathy and a sense of solidarity for him, with him never getting a break.

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
    No one but Donald Duck!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

Theres been a weekly Donald Duck comic magazine published here since 1938. No idea why the character resonated so much with us, he just did. Its a similar situation to what happened with The Phantom.

Also, on a side note, Launchpad's Swedish is mostly correct, but he pronounces it wrong. I had to listen to it several times to understand what he was saying, and I'm a native speaker.

Sadgasm on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

Theres been a weekly Donald Duck comic magazine published here since 1938. No idea why the character resonated so much with us, he just did. Its a similar situation to what happened with The Phantom.

Also, on a side note, Launchpad's Swedish is mostly correct, but he pronounces it wrong. I had to listen to it several times to understand what he was saying, and I'm a native speaker.

He had just been bitten a bunch by snakes. Cut him some slack

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

He's a pilot.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The Phantom eh?

I wonder if #29 was printed there. It was the only one not printed in the states

Xaquin wrote: »
    The Phantom eh?

I wonder if #29 was printed there. It was the only one not printed in the states

I doubt it, the Phantom comic book produced in Scandinavia is a separate license to the various publications that have used the character in the U.S, it's been produced non-stop since the 1950's.

• duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what he said (in English)? Google is failing me.

Åh, hej, Beakley! Subina har berättat så mycket om dig, över fiskbullar." (Oh, hi, Beakley! Subina has told me so much about you, over fish balls.")
    "Oj då." ("Uh-oh.")

This is Dina-M's translation on reddit

• mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    agoaj wrote: »
    I feel like they wanted Patrick Warburton for Launchpad and had to settle.

I feel like you think Patrick Warburton would have been a better voice for Launchpad and pulled "they wanted" out of nowhere because it fit with your own personal desire.

On the other hand now you've made me consider all of the Launchpad lines in his voice and now I can't decide if it's brilliant or terrible

I also feel like I need to poop so now there's an irresistible imperative

Patrick Warburton hosts the preride video for Soarin' at the Disney parks, so I wouldn't be able to unhear him as a slightly smarmy polished airline flight attendant... might cause some conflict.

https://youtu.be/b7p1-MCBNnc?t=196

(Skip to a little after 3 mins; he's just after the logo appears)

Oh my. If Launchpad gets back into the fold as a major character, I wonder if there's any possibility of a new Soarin' with a more comedic take starring him. I WANT THIS.

mattclem on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    mattclem wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    I feel like they wanted Patrick Warburton for Launchpad and had to settle.

I feel like you think Patrick Warburton would have been a better voice for Launchpad and pulled "they wanted" out of nowhere because it fit with your own personal desire.

On the other hand now you've made me consider all of the Launchpad lines in his voice and now I can't decide if it's brilliant or terrible

I also feel like I need to poop so now there's an irresistible imperative

Patrick Warburton hosts the preride video for Soarin' at the Disney parks, so I wouldn't be able to unhear him as a slightly smarmy polished airline flight attendant... might cause some conflict.

https://youtu.be/b7p1-MCBNnc?t=196

(Skip to a little after 3 mins; he's just after the logo appears)

Oh my. If Launchpad gets back into the fold as a major character, I wonder if there's any possibility of a new Soarin' with a more comedic take starring him. I WANT THIS.

I think Soarin' just got a new movie in the last year or so. I wouldn't hold my breath.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dunder wrote: »

This is true. in Sweden the defining Disney character is Donald Duck, not Mickey Mouse. Why this is I don't know. My guess is amore expansive world/more supporting characters led to more comic stories being written and thus made DD the most common figure.

We do not read Tintin because Tintin is a very compelling or exciting protagonist (he's just an upstanding and courageous boyscout). We do because the art, atmosphere and tempo are sublime but more importantly because everyone around him, villains included, are so good. Mickey Mouse is Tintin and Donald is Captain Haddock.

Absalon on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So apparently swimming in money is a learned skill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvozhdz4s38

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wait. Wait.

Scrooge is no longer a water fowl.

Scrooge is a gold duck.

• MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    I would love to see a reunion of the Three Caballeros here. I know it won't be in the first season, but some of the writers implied it might happen in the second.
    Maybe an animated update of this.
    https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2783844.html
    Or this.
    https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2788683.html#cutid1

Jose, I would like to see some of the stuff from the Brazillian "Ze Carioca" comic put in if possible, like his Girlfriend Rozinha (I think that's her name), and make his design a sort of combination of classic and modern (maybe replace the ball-cap with his old hat, because I just can't see him in a ballcap).

Panchito, I don't know, as he never really hit it big like the other two, but I would really love if they kept his guns (though I may be holding out for something impossible there).

I'd also love to see the animated debut of Blackheart/Pa Beagle. Fanon has him as Ma's husband. Perhaps make him someone who has been in maximum security prison for years, and breaks out when he hears Scrooge is back?

Matthew wrote: »
    I would love to see a reunion of the Three Caballeros here. I know it won't be in the first season, but some of the writers implied it might happen in the second.
    Or this.

Jose, I would like to see some of the stuff from the Brazillian "Ze Carioca" comic put in if possible, like his Girlfriend Rozinha (I think that's her name), and make his design a sort of combination of classic and modern (maybe replace the ball-cap with his old hat, because I just can't see him in a ballcap).

Panchito, I don't know, as he never really hit it big like the other two, but I would really love if they kept his guns (though I may be holding out for something impossible there).

I'd also love to see the animated debut of Blackheart/Pa Beagle. Fanon has him as Ma's husband. Perhaps make him someone who has been in maximum security prison for years, and breaks out when he hears Scrooge is back?

Well, we know Ma has been released, so maybe they break him out.

Or this.

Shouldnt he be Ma's father? He's specifically stated to be the Beagle Boys grandfather and patriarch in the comics. The present day Beagle Boys are actually a group of brothers and cousins, the children of Blackhearts three sons.

• MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Or this.

Shouldnt he be Ma's father? He's specifically stated to be the Beagle Boys grandfather and patriarch in the comics. The present day Beagle Boys are actually a group of brothers and cousins, the children of Blackhearts three sons.

That might make more sense, but i'm just going by fanon, plus making him the Beagle Boy's father might make him more interesting by giving him a more direct connection to Ma (She has a conscience, he doesn't, which is why he's in maximum security).

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

In my parent's attic I have all weekly Donald Duck comics from 1990 to 2005 or something like that.

PSN: Honkalot
    Honk wrote: »

In my parent's attic I have all weekly Donald Duck comics from 1990 to 2005 or something like that.

We dont have them anymore, but when I was a kid, we subscribed to the magazine. It was a good day when the new issue had a Don Rosa story.

• Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    My older brother still has his Donald Duck magazines[(Aku Ankka)Finnish edition] from about 1994 to this years issues. Unfortunately all the 1979 to late 1993 issues were destroyed by wear and tear by us(yes, I hate the 11 year and younger me).

Oddly enough I have all my Scrooge McDuck monthly magazines/paperbacks? [(Roope-setä)Finnish edition] from 1983 to present . With only some crayon drawings on a few of the older ones and many from the 90's with the backing glue crumbled to dust.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Finally saw the pilot. Really enjoying the writing and new characterization, updated theme is pretty great too. Only thing I'm not super in love with is the lack of color compared to how vibrant the original was. Other than that... Woo-oo!

Sad news, I don't have cable. :( Any word on whether it will be available on DVD after the season ends, or if it will show up on Netflix at some point? I could buy it on Amazon but would rather have a physical/local copy if I'm going that route.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Finally saw the pilot. Really enjoying the writing and new characterization, updated theme is pretty great too. Only thing I'm not super in love with is the lack of color compared to how vibrant the original was. Other than that... Woo-oo!

Sad news, I don't have cable. :( Any word on whether it will be available on DVD after the season ends, or if it will show up on Netflix at some point? I could buy it on Amazon but would rather have a physical/local copy if I'm going that route.

With Disney pulling their library from Netflix within the next year or two, I doubt it'll be there. Unfortunately the only official way for now would be through Disney XD's site and onDemand which would likely require a cable account.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Just buy the season pass on amazon or something. The pilot is free right now too

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited September 2017
    I do love Disney's interesting scheduling method of 'build up massive amounts of intrest and fans and then kill it'

Xaquin on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't kill this as hard as they killed Tron: Uprising, which was also excellent and totally murdered by bizarre Disney scheduling.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I do love Disney's interesting scheduling method of 'build up massive amounts of intrest and fans and then kill it'

Gravity Falls says hello. :(