As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I'm in Prague! It's great! I went to a castle that my countrymen pillaged 400 years ago and a bridge they failed to cross.
    Also everything is cheap as shit for being a super cool historical European city. Even the tourist traps are cheap in real cost (as a Swede at least).
    Everyone should go to Prague.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Actually scratch that, everyone but valley girls who during a tour like totally have to tell their friend about how like totally congested they are and how like totally they're addicted to NyQuil can stay home.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Goin' home. Plane leaves in 4 hours and I am juuuuust getting to the airport.

Mama Saru would be so proud.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    That seems...like you are there way early? I say this as a person who simultaneously hates airports and has anxiety over missing flights and so ends up waiting there 2hrs+ "just in case"

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The only time I almost missed check-in* was going to Australia because the visa processing computers weren't transmitting their data properly so NO ONE in line was registering as having paid for their visa

And after I accepted taking a later flight they gave me free Qantas lounge access

Could be worse.

*this is not counting the time I uberfailed and missed my flight entirely, which was a whole other entirely-my-fault situation

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I missed a flight once, due to the highway I was on being completely shut down for two hours due to a semi wreck. It's one of the most gut-wrenching feelings in the world. "Hey, you know that ticket I bought for a hundred and fifty bucks? I know that your computer is telling you that the next flight out costs two thousand dollars, and I'm entirely at your mercy and I hope I don't remind you of anyone who has wronged you in the past."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    That seems...like you are there way early? I say this as a person who simultaneously hates airports and has anxiety over missing flights and so ends up waiting there 2hrs+ "just in case"
    My mother insists that if you are not shooting to arrive at the airport 3 hours before an international flight, you are a ne'er-do-well with a devil-may-care attitude and are in want of a tweaked nose.

Edit: Only time I ever missed a flight was the time I left my passport on the copy machine at school and didn't realize it until 6 months later the day of my flight.

That was an unhappy Thanksgiving, although it did begin the tradition of me coming home for Christmas.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    As long as the airport has wi-fi and a place to plug my internet-browsing device in so it doesn't run low, I don't mind getting there safely early. Besides, they still got plenty of shops past security to browse around in and places to get food while you wait.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I was leaving for a business trip earlier this year and figured "No need to expense a taxi ride, public transit is perfectly fine and will get me there well in advance of the flight."

Luckily there was a lot of time between the initial flight out and the actual work part so I was able to just try again the next day with a taxi ride.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    As long as the airport has wi-fi and a place to plug my internet-browsing device in so it doesn't run low, I don't mind getting there safely early. Besides, they still got plenty of shops past security to browse around in and places to get food while you wait.

These are all the words of a reasonable person. I just hate the uncomfortable chairs, all the noise/people milling around and the waiting. I just don't travel well, though I love going places I hate the getting there. Also most of my airport time is Atlanta or O'Hare, and aside from the Frontera, fuck O'Hare sideways, I hate their layout so much. My general strategy now is to find any airport bar that does "cheap" add on shots with a beer, a fine thing I discovered when a flight out of Orlando kept getting delayed. But there I also had incoming and outgoing Disney families to compare. (That was such a dumb route, Atlanta to Orlando to Rhode island)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You ever slept in an airport? Most of my flights home go through DFW, whose slogan is pretty much "Probably a thunderstorm won't shut down the whole airport, sometimes it's a blizzard." You'd be surprised how few places there are to sleep! Like, all the chairs have arms between them, there's no benches, the floor is just a sixteenth of an inch of carpet on top of concrete. Are they really that afraid that homeless people are going to make it all the way to the airport and just camp out if they make it too comfortable?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    There are sleeping chairs here, but there are like, 3 of them, and they are inside the gate area.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If I added up the amount of my life I'd spent in airports I'd probably cry.

Sometimes I get work done, though.

• Options
    I am soooooooo looking forward to the miles this year.

'bout to rack up some fuckin' miles this year, tell you what.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I'm glad I don't have to travel much because I'm frail

Some people are hardy and can handle the rigors of travel, sleep easily on planes, function well on little sleep

But me, I'm frail in general

It's unfortunate

One of my friends just casually is like I found a cheap flight I'm gonna go across the country for a weekend

Which would be nice if my body could handle it but it can't

On the plus side
    I currently have 375k UR points on my credit card

So maybe next year I'll go to Asia on business class even

poo
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You ever slept in an airport? Most of my flights home go through DFW, whose slogan is pretty much "Probably a thunderstorm won't shut down the whole airport, sometimes it's a blizzard." You'd be surprised how few places there are to sleep! Like, all the chairs have arms between them, there's no benches, the floor is just a sixteenth of an inch of carpet on top of concrete. Are they really that afraid that homeless people are going to make it all the way to the airport and just camp out if they make it too comfortable?

When we had an overnight stopover in Frankfurt one of the people in the airport actually told us which bit of the terminal was the best one for sleeping in, which was off in an out-of-the-way area and had vaguely sleepable rows of seats. Kuala Lumpur, though, there were just the benches in front of the checkin desks, which was a bit more conspicuous feeling.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If I added up the amount of my life I'd spent in airports I'd probably cry.

Sometimes I get work done, though.

Be thankful you don't play video games and have numbers like this staring in your face every day

v8bssR3.jpg

Although I often just leave this one running in the background so I can interact with it once in a while, so that number's maybe not as bad as it might seem

• Options
    So it's decided: I'll be doing amsterdam, paris, cologne, then back to amsterdam. Hot tips appreciated. I love food and drink and weird things. Live music would be great too. I'll be solo in cologne, if that matters.

• Options
    Do the beer halls in Cologne, it's a very cultural experience.
    ... best not to order anything but Koelsch until you're friends with the bartenders.

• Options
    Will I be endearing with my near total lack of German (I can do a little spanish, and a little hindi, and I mix them up making them mostly useless) and my southern usa accent?

Oh, also hostel tips for cologne amsterdam, cause since i'll be solo I dont give a fuck where I stay so long as my bags are there by the end.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    people will mostly speak English in cologne, at least at tourist level. They have enough tourists that they probably won't find it charming, but they also won't care or get on your case. Attempting some german will win you kudos.
    edit: actually if you have a real southern drawl, that might be something of a drawcard? Suspect it could work well on drunk german 20-somethings in bars.

Don't think I've ever stayed at a Cologne hostel, but I'm sure they're pretty much all fine. Do try and stay somewhere central, it's kind of a sprawl-y city.
    Amsterdam is possibly a bit dodgier, but @Kochikens might have advice on areas to stay in.

tynic on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    German here. English in Germany is usually no problem, unless you're trying to live here and have to deal with bureaucracy and stuff like that. You won't win any friends by mere virtue of being from the US, more like the contrary at the moment... but "Fuck Trump" t-shirts might help.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Oh lord I had not even thought about that. Yea, I swear I'm not that kind of southern.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    As long as you avoid the red light district nowhere is really dodgy in amsterdam, just make sure you book way ahead of time

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    coffee and a view

DHXRj-gXYAAflKC.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So it's decided: I'll be doing amsterdam, paris, cologne, then back to amsterdam. Hot tips appreciated. I love food and drink and weird things. Live music would be great too. I'll be solo in cologne, if that matters.

Do you like churches? Like, a lot of them?

More seriously though, maybe I can write down some things later in the day.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm on a road trip! First leg down. 648km (320mi) done today. Should have taken about 7 hours but it took almost 9 because a) I had to do a detour to get fuel at one point because I stupidly skipped a filling station when my tank was just under half full and then didn't see another one for over 250km, and b) I spent almost an hour sat in a queue of traffic caused by a pile up. So I arrived late. Luckily this place does 24 hour check-ins, but the shop is shut so I can't get food. Also I'm in a national park but it was dark when I arrived so I am unable to appreciate the beauty and grandeur of nature. Also I went from the lowveld to the highveld and it's windy as balls and bloody freezing and I forgot my coat. Oh well. Road trip!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ok AirBNB host, answer my emails about how we can work with me getting into town quite late, so that I have a place to stay, and you don't have a report on your record....plz...

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Travelogue: When I Almost Ate A Bear.

Oregon, Highway 84, heading east. I just left a rest stop between Pendleton and LaGrande. Passing a pick-up with a trailer. I'm in the fast lane, truck's in the slow lane.
    The barrier to the westbound traffic is cement k-rails, can't see through them, and in my Subaru Impreza, can't see over them. I notice an amorphous dark shape billowing over the traffic divider.
    'Shit, even out here, people throw bags of trash and leave them for...'
    That's when I notice that the bag has a leg. And a snout.
    "That's a bear!" I say in a voice to make any 5 year old proud. The bear pulls itself over the cement block and gallops (as much as anything that ambles like that can gallop) across the highway..
    Standing on the break, I let out an "Oh shit!" I can tell I will miss the bear easily. Or I would, if the bear doesn't get hit by the truck. The other driver tries to stop, to swerve, but there is nowhere to go. The bear instinctively pulls up, and I think, I *think*, boops its snoot on the back corner of the trailer.
    It pivots, swiveling back into my lane, and this is where I think I'm about to eat a bear. With extra windshield, for that satisfying crunch!
    My breaking fortunately gave the bear time to finish its 360 with flourish, and it bolts across to the safety of the hills.
    I catch up to the truck driver, and we give each other looks and waves of disbelief and congratulations for all parties escaping unharmed.
    Except for maybe a bear snoot and its pride.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today I visited a place called the Valley of Desolation. Which is definitely the most metal name for any conservation area I've heard of.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've been in Japan for ten days now. Just played hide and seek with a bunch of my old host family's kids' friends and those kids play dirty, my dudes

• Options
    I'm really enjoying this place (Camdeboo national park). I've seen gemsbok and meerkats for the first time, and like NO people. I'm staying in a tiny camp that has 4 safari tents and I think I'm the only person here. There is a really tame bird that keeps hopping up on my deck to see if I have any crumbs for it. Earlier I went hiking and ate my lunch at the top of a mountain in total silence. It is so nice.

Now I'mma go get drunk in a bird hide.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So SilverWind and I are doing more active research on dining out while in Japan, and something we came across is Tabelog. Apparently it's like Yelp, only good, and more trusted than Michelin guide ratings, or pretty much any other source, by locals looking for places to get grub.

An article I read from back in February suggested that the English language version of Tabelog is a poo biscuit, but that was six months ago. Looking at the site now, it actually seems really robust! You can look up by genres and subgenres, rank in a few different ways, filter only to shops that accept credit cards if you come from that sort of economy (though it seems to preclude most of the real nice places), set price ranges, etc.

So the English version of the site seems good! Good enough that just glancing at it I would think we might just use it rather than trying to download and learn to navigate the Japanese version. Does anyone here have any input on this thing?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying this place (Camdeboo national park). I've seen gemsbok and meerkats for the first time, and like NO people. I'm staying in a tiny camp that has 4 safari tents and I think I'm the only person here. There is a really tame bird that keeps hopping up on my deck to see if I have any crumbs for it. Earlier I went hiking and ate my lunch at the top of a mountain in total silence. It is so nice.

Now I'mma go get drunk in a bird hide.

I am glad that someone can enjoy what is basically what my personal version of hell looks like.

Your time in Africa has been fascinating to read about, smof, thanks for sharing it.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I miss Africa but I'm not allowed to complain because I just got to tour a temple in Japan that is normally almost never open to tourists (my host dad from several years back is friends with the head priest) and has the finest quality paintings in the country

• Options
    Nearly finished my holiday. Tomorrow I fly from George to Johannesburg and stay overnight, then get the 6 hour shuttle home on Sunday.

Earlier today I got a phonecall from the hostel in Joburg that I booked two months ago, to tell me that they're full, and can they put me in a different place nearby :rotate: So now I've cancelled them and paid 30% more to stay somewhere different where they sound a bit more competent.

• Options
    Arrived at my guest house in Johannesburg. It's pretty swanky. Also has electified wires along the top of the perimeter wall, and a panic button in the hallway.

Ah, Joburg, never change. Or maybe do.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Arrived at my guest house in Johannesburg. It's pretty swanky. Also has electified wires along the top of the perimeter wall, and a panic button in the hallway.

Ah, Joburg, never change. Or maybe do.

Talking to people I know who grew up there, their normalcy just to do with home security was terrifying. "Yeah, every night we lock ourselves in the upper story of our house, because that is what you do."

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Part of me wonders if it's not really necessary and it's just social habit. Like, everyone else has barbed wire fences and armed response units on call so of course you have those things as well! Because the country as a whole really doesn't seem as dangerous as I imagined before I came out.

Then I remember my friend from Joburg telling me about having a home invasion where he had to fight off a guy with a knife and ended up tied up in his own bathroom and I think oh righty-ho then, you go ahead with your barbed wire.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Eesh
    Yeah I always wonder in Namibia. Because most of the houses owned by Afrikaaners have those kinds of security measures, but nobody else does. And to me it really feels like a very safe country, so it seems like a cultural hangover rather than an actual necessity. But then I don't live there so maybe I just don't know.

We don't lock our doors in the bush though. We shut the fence but that's mostly for cow related reasons.