As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Come teach me, now, plox.

Also, I really need to see if I can sell my old L5R cards.

What is this I don't even.
    Dug them out. Don't know what I'm going to do with them, but there they are. Had to go through: Magic, Warlord Game of Thrones, and EVE cards to get there.

Also, I found this deck box. I'd completely forgotten these were even a thing.

FB9hIbY.jpg

GgQzAYC.jpg

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Hey, you found the best faction's box, nice!

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Printed out lion and dragon demo decks. Took me most of the night to get them ready, so we didn't get to play, but I'm looking forward to trying them out.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tonight was good. I demo'ed the game using the learn to play decks for 5 different people, and everyone loved it. Some pre-ordered on the spot.

It's interesting watching people's different strategies.. like sitting back a turn and building up your fate for a big push, or sacrificing cards at tricky times.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Where do I get said demo decks?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Where do I get said demo decks?

I think the most popular ones going around are the Kolat decks, but they were created prior to the full card pool being known.

http://kolatinformant.com/2017/07/l5r-lcg-print-and-play-demo-decks/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Reddit provided me with this link for those:

http://kolatinformant.com/2017/07/l5r-lcg-print-and-play-demo-decks/

Is there a full rulebook scan anywhere? I see lots of summaries, but I'd like to learn the rules proper.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

Under Support is the learn to play and rules reference.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    FiveRingsDB has a beta version of their deck-builder up and running.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Oh hey, there's the official announcement of the first pack, Tears of Amaterasu.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/24/tears-of-amaterasu/

persona4celestia.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Looks like some really useful cards in that pack...

Hmm. I'm still trying to find whether any places near me are doing a launch event for this.

No wonder they required people to pick the roles before this came out. Holy shit. Like.. This cements that this will be a game of really powerful characters.

Notice the Goblin card as a neutral?

I'm wondering why we picked Keeper of the Void. Keeper in general doesn't seem as Dragony as Seeker.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm wondering why we picked Keeper of the Void. Keeper in general doesn't seem as Dragony as Seeker.

The logic I've seen is that it is to set up for next time. You can't choose the same role you have currently, so a lot of people picked sub-optimal roles to prep for next year. There may also have been some hate drafting going on too.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My google-fu is failing me rather hard, so we have a release date for the game at this point?

I was wanting to get back into Netrunner but my local scene seems pretty dead, so, maybe this instead.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    My google-fu is failing me rather hard, so we have a release date for the game at this point?

I was wanting to get back into Netrunner but my local scene seems pretty dead, so, maybe this instead.

October 5th in the US.

Athenor wrote: »

October 5th in the US.

Where'd you find it? My FLGS is still saying 4Q with no date.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

October 5th in the US.

Announced at GenCon. It would be subject to change, being as it is "on the boat" and this is FFG, but this is an enormously high profile release so they probably expect it to arrive in the next couple of weeks with plenty of time to get it shipped to distributors and into stores.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh hey, there's the official announcement of the first pack, Tears of Amaterasu.

Who made Ammy cry and why aren't they dead yet.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

October 5th in the US.

I was there when it was announced - first by the head of organized play as the 15th, then updated to the 5th a few moments later when they realized their mistake. Then at the in-flight report.

So what's the coolest clan in the new L5R LCG and why is it the Scorpions?

(I hope the Scorpions are cool at least, they are my favorite clan from the RPG and the novels.)

edited August 2017
    Cantido wrote: »

Who made Ammy cry and why aren't they dead yet.

If I were to guess: her husband for the former and Hitomi's around working on the latter.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    So I listened to Team Covenant's podcast about GenCon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_cEaDvn1Y

I had to fight back my first instincts when they seemed to not like the game. Though it makes sense - it sounds like they are more into quick play games, and L5R definitely can be overwhelming (When I teach the game, I only introduce concepts as they come up).

But.. yeah. I think they have some very valid concerns. If the game takes 90 minutes to play when teaching, and a single core doesn't represent the game well, it may lead to people not picking it up.

Hmm.

There will be more reviews though.

Is there a good way to tell Conflict and Dynasty cards apart from the front face, aside from the D and C?

Hmm.

There will be more reviews though.

Is there a good way to tell Conflict and Dynasty cards apart from the front face, aside from the D and C?

The backs of the 3 types of cards (Conflict, Destiny, Province) are drastically different. Otherwise, no, as character cards can appear in either deck.

edited August 2017
    So I listened to Team Covenant's podcast about GenCon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_cEaDvn1Y

I had to fight back my first instincts when they seemed to not like the game. Though it makes sense - it sounds like they are more into quick play games, and L5R definitely can be overwhelming (When I teach the game, I only introduce concepts as they come up).

But.. yeah. I think they have some very valid concerns. If the game takes 90 minutes to play when teaching, and a single core doesn't represent the game well, it may lead to people not picking it up.

How long does a game take to play once you have it down?

Edit: Watching the team covenant how to play for L5R it looks pretty fiddly, but, maybe it will click with time. Two decks, provinces, rings, political, war, favor, honor, dishonor, fate.... It's a lot.

Inquisitor on
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    By round three in the Kiku Matsuri, our total play time was dropping pretty quickly. A big part of that was just getting down what each of the 5 ring effects were. Once you had those down you could get through conflict declaration faster.

Fate and the tracking of it does seem a little fiddly. I can foresee arguments about whether fate was removed when it was supposed to be.

Fate and the tracking of it does seem a little fiddly. I can foresee arguments about whether fate was removed when it was supposed to be.

In all the demos I've given, I've jumped straight to the fate phase before calculating imperial favor. I always forget it is there.

Honestly, I could see play time going down once you're running a full 40/40 deck, since you'll be drawing your good Dynasty stuff more often and won't be clogged up with all the neutrals that you probably can't use your good tricks on. So battles will probably end with more provinces broken and you'll move into the end-game faster.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Honestly, I could see play time going down once you're running a full 40/40 deck, since you'll be drawing your good Dynasty stuff more often and won't be clogged up with all the neutrals that you probably can't use your good tricks on. So battles will probably end with more provinces broken and you'll move into the end-game faster.

Yeah, though I do wonder about honor/dishonor decks. Honor particularly seems hard to climb towards (and we know that is by design in the core).

But.. in the end, we just don't know what the game will look like in its final form. I'm still excited to check it out, but more than anything I want this to succeed. As much as this looks like a sure thing, it is still a risk for FFG.

I'm seeing reports that you WILL need 3 core sets to have a complete playset of set 1.

I'm seeing reports that you WILL need 3 core sets to have a complete playset of set 1.

Yeah, this plus the no new announcements for Netrunner at gencon is causing a lot of salt to be leveled (and not entirely fairly) at L5R.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Am I missing something? I thought this had been established a while ago.

cckerberos.png
    Yeah. Each clan card gets 1 copy. Most of the neutrals get 2, with some getting 3 (only like 2-3).

It's pretty obvious you'll need 3 cores for a complete tourney legal set, but there will be very little overlap.

edited August 2017
    Yeah, I just pulled up the deck-builder and you can do a solid 40/40 with two cores.

Three might be optimum, but I don't think it'll be necessary. Especially once packs start coming out.

EDIT: I just realized I forgot to spend my influence when I built this. Whoops.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Huh. I'd thought we were convinced it was only going to be 2 cores. At least, that's what I'd absorbed till today.