As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ghost Recon Wildlands] : Way Too Many Buttstocks

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, is there a PA Task Force on PC I could get an invite to? I'm stabbitystyle on uPlay.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh yeah, is there a PA Task Force on PC I could get an invite to? I'm stabbitystyle on uPlay.

Oh right, that was a thing I registered when it launched. Should see if anyone actually applied or if it's just two people in it still.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Just picked this up last night and then didn't get to bed until 3am! I love this so far as a single player game! AI is easy to control and the challenges are starting to ramp up! Punishment for lack of tactical feels good.

This feels a lot like what the Division should have been.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up last night and then didn't get to bed until 3am! I love this so far as a single player game! AI is easy to control and the challenges are starting to ramp up! Punishment for lack of tactical feels good.

I definitely agree with your last sentence. I have a RL buddy who played the division for a week or so and just couldn't get into it. I think he hated the bullet sponge enemies in particular.

Two hours of GR and he was hooked. I've played with him for most of his play through and it was a great experience, duoing everything is a much different experience than using the AI teammates. If you're on PS4 feel free to hit me up if you see me online, PSN name is thewheelz

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

There are some missions that require you to remain hidden. Your AI teammates will get you spotted 9 times out of 10 and it gets infuriating. Outside of that, I've been loving it.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

There are some missions that require you to remain hidden. Your AI teammates will get you spotted 9 times out of 10 and it gets infuriating. Outside of that, I've been loving it.

Really, the AI seems to think my teammates are invisible if their not actually firing.
    Lots of times when a base is alarmed but doesnt have a visual on me, the enemy AI will get face to face with my guys and neither side will do anything.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »

Really, the AI seems to think my teammates are invisible if their not actually firing.
    Lots of times when a base is alarmed but doesnt have a visual on me, the enemy AI will get face to face with my guys and neither side will do anything.

It's inconsistent. Sometimes, your squad can run right in front of an AI and nothing happens. Sometimes, they'll spot them halfway across the map. Having them set up for a sync shot definitely increases the chances, but it is not always a trigger one way or the other.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm really glad I coordinated picking this up with some friends. This game is a blast in co-op.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    If the mission involved Stealth then your A.I teammates will be spotted. When I say Stealth, I mean a mission where getting spotted results in a game over screen.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm really glad I coordinated picking this up with some friends. This game is a blast in co-op.

Just thought I'd mention this in case you and your friends picked this up on PC and didn't pick up the season pass: Uplay has a sale going on where they're discounting the season pass at 40% off regular price.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Just thought I'd mention this in case you and your friends picked this up on PC and didn't pick up the season pass: Uplay has a sale going on where they're discounting the season pass at 40% off regular price.

That's a pretty good sale, but we're playing on PS4. Which has had a couple DLC sales, but we're trying to wrap things up in time for Destiny 2.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've heard very little positive about the content of the season pass.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I've heard very little positive about the content of the season pass.

Given that the Survival mode reinvigorated The Division, I'm really thinking that Fallen Ghosts sounds to be on par with that in terms of how awesome it could be.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The two DLCs are not great. The car one is just too goofy and out of place and you get no NPC teammates, and the Fallen Ghosts is basically new colored bullet sponge enemies with the same assault the outposts gameplay. Plus neither of them use your character from main game so you create new ones.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never bought the DLC - it looked so underwhelming. It was fun to play the base game with pals though.

• Options
    I need that season pass so bad!

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    The Sam Fisher mission is complete bull sh** on Tier 1 mode.

First, there's no freaking checkpoints. After you rendezvous with Sam you are treated to a long ass in-game cutscene. Sam goes on and on about the data being stolen and you CANNOT SKIP IT.

In Tier One mode, since you die with one shot. It is entirely possible to finish the in-game cutscene and immediately get killed within the first 15 seconds. When you restart, you once again have to infiltrate the Unidad base, meet with Sam, and sit through his in-game cutscene AGAIN.

It got to the point where I was calling in for choppers and simply dropping in via parachute.

Because it instantly puts Unidad on the highest alert, there's no good place to hide. Eventually I died so many times that I reverted the difficulty to easy and just beat it that way. Doing it on Tier One mode was not fun at all. If they had checkpoints, I would have left the difficulty on, but because they don't, I just cheesed it on easy.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So for what it's worth this games got a free weekend right now.

The single player is still distinctly nothing but the multiplayer is excellent and lets you play with every single loadout this weekend so it's absolutely worth giving a shot.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So is the Sam Fisher stuff paid DLC? What about the Predator stuff?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    So is the Sam Fisher stuff paid DLC? What about the Predator stuff?

i believe that all Year 2 DLC is free, but there is a pass available for purchase that will unlock some of it early.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Playing the Sam Fisher mission in Singleplayer Ghost Recon is free. The 3rd Echelon dude in Ghost War comes with the Year 2 season pass.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Going to finally give this a go, assuming i manage to download this in time, will make a decision on if to buy or not tomorrow.
    Not all that hopeful after FC5, but dunno, maybe it'll be fun enough for a 20 euros.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Yeah, I never bought the DLC - it looked so underwhelming. It was fun to play the base game with pals though.

The DLC abandoning the characters you spent leveling for an entirely new squad was a massively stupid idea. I actually got the season pass when it was on sale over the holidays, and I lost all momentum going from the end of the main game to the sequel DLC.

• Options
    Well, played couple hours.
    And, well, it is very Tom Clancy.
    The start is kinda weirdly funny, taking itself so seriously, while heavily tattooed bald man explains about his dreams of a narco state and compares himself to Moses.
    The idea of Bolivia just keeling over to a drug cartel is less funny.
    Originally i decided not to buy it because i was worried about the story, and if the tone of the beginning is any indicator, i was very right about my worries.
    That said, the gameplay seems fun, and as long as i am not constantly jerked into weird cutscenes to listen to people monologue at me it might be ok.

• Options
    I just beat the last of the security sector guys. I wish taking out specific divisions of the Santa Blanca group would impact the world in a more meaningful way. Something like fewer checkpoints the more security you take out etc.

Still enjoying it loads. Though not sure if I can keep up the do everything attitude for each area.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Sam Fisher mission is kind of garbage.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Well, played couple hours.
    And, well, it is very Tom Clancy.
    The start is kinda weirdly funny, taking itself so seriously, while heavily tattooed bald man explains about his dreams of a narco state and compares himself to Moses.
    The idea of Bolivia just keeling over to a drug cartel is less funny.
    Originally i decided not to buy it because i was worried about the story, and if the tone of the beginning is any indicator, i was very right about my worries.
    That said, the gameplay seems fun, and as long as i am not constantly jerked into weird cutscenes to listen to people monologue at me it might be ok.

My take on the story is that at some point they realised how dumb the script is and decided to lean into the cheesy aspects of it. I think it's entertaining enough for what it is, not to be taken too seriously given how stupid and outlandish the setting (and its characters) are. See: the very first bosses you get briefed on

But there is enough of a faint undercurrent of reality (or some facsimile thereof) to make the game slightly uncomfortable in its treatment of the War on Drugs.

• Options
    The first thought when tattooed bald man compares himself to Moses leading his people to promised land?
    "But moses died before he got there."

Almost done with the first area.
    Companion controls are, bad, just, bad, it takes too long to give any commands and you are rooted in place while doing so.
    That said, the npc team does clear the first hurdle of npc companions, they don't make things harder.
    Not once has any of them pulled enemies into fights with us.
    Except the rebels (new rule: never release the rebels).
    Wish they'd start shooting the bad guys once they see me though, and they kinda suck at houses.

Can't have it all i guess.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Ai teammates are literally invisible until you give them an order.

• Options
    Yeah, kinda hilarious seeing one standing in the middle of the road, aiming an enemy in the face, while the enemy is walking straight at them.
    They can also teleport...
    Maybe the Ghost is meant to be taken literally?

• Options
    I've never played any games with Sam Fisher in them.
    But if this game is anything to go by, the man is one of the most useless team mates ever (would it have killed you to do some recon before going in, or atleast turning off the jamming device?).
    Like, shoot someone, anyone, even yourself, i'm not picky, don't just stand out in the open doing nothing.

And who ever came up with this challenge is clearly out of their mind.
    Takes forever, guard locations are atleast semi random (as are their patrols), your npc team mates are generally useless (get into the fucking house you morons), and if you fail at any point, you are forced to start from beginning.

I'm actually rather surprised how rudimentary the stealth element in this game is, you have a way to mark targets, and noice making grenade (why can't i throw rocks?), and beyond that it's just staying out of enemies line of sight.
    I can't listen to footsteps to determine if enemies are coming, i can't hide under things, i can't disguise myself in anyway, or create distractions beyond that noice grenade that seems next to useless.
    And walking on bedrock sounds like hollow wooden boxes at times, weird...

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Which is unfortunate, because this isnt representative of sam at all.

Splinter Cell 1-3 were the best sam fischers (4 and 5 were ok, but he went a bit Jack Bauer action hero, not remaining cool collected tac op ninja.

Playing 1 and 2 now would be horrible, the machanics havent aged well. 3 might be doable, and was the best of the series at the time.

There has been a new splinter cell released, but its a retcon of sorts and is just more of the same aweful ubisoft bastardization of Clancy-verse IP.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    With wildlands, i kinda view it as 4 player coop Mercenaries. Its the kind of gonzo shooter where everyone is a either BA Baracus, or Hannibal. Not a bad thing, sometimes I want to play Mercenaries, but its not Clancy.

R6 Vegas 2 was probably the last game I remember that held true to Clancy-verse force on force engagement, with collecting intel and engaging with a plan, but in the later levels it was getting nuts, too.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Well, finally got the Fisher thing done.
    Hooray, your reward is grey night vision instead of green.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I liked the mission in concept overall and I think the second half of it falls into step with the fun of the main game, but the bad, bad checkpointing in the game is super baaaaaaaaaaaad in this mission.

At one point I drove off in a car without Fisher in it (although I tried to drive back to him he had completely disappeared) and had to restart from the beginning afterwards, which is completely fucked

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I bought this when it came out, but stopped pretty quick because I guess I was just fatigued on open world games. I've learned to love the genre again, though, so I decided to give the game a fairer shake yesterday and I quite enjoy it. It helps that I got the Ela icon skin from one of the two free loot crates I had waiting for me, and also that the crossbow they're giving away for free in the store is so deliciously OP.

Any word on if Ubisoft plans to add more Siege operators to the game? I might toss a few bucks at some crates for the chance (I really would love to just be able to buy the DLC I want...) to play the game as Ash, Sledge, or Dokkaebi.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Downloaded this from Steam over the weekend, originally just to have something to fiddle with while waiting for ANTHEM to arrive on Feb. 22, but I'm quite enjoying the solo campaign so far and I can see myself playing it in parallel with ANTHEM. Whomever said earlier that this game should be named SICARIO was dead on the money.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    ... and I just found the Sam Fisher mission. Holy Crap am I not ready to try that one yet.