As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor suggestions

SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
im looking to spend ~$350 on a new monitor for my new desktop (which ill be building in a few weeks, $1200 or so)

anyway i want a very large wide screen monitor... is there anywhere better than newegg to buy these? is ebay a decent place? i normally dont go there for electronics. i just want to get the best "deal" possible.

whos havin butt-seks
Smilingoat on

• Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    newegg sucks ass for buying monitors, i think their return policy is "if the monitor arrives and shoots you in the stomach with a 9mm, then call us and we'll RMA it, otherwise youre STUCK WITH IT!"

amazon has a good return policy

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    good to know.

any suggestions on a brand? or is there really a large difference in the market between quality. im completely clueless past the "i want one" step.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I got a 19" Viewsonic that I'm very happy with. $180 from Buy.com, though I don't think it's on sale anymore.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I got a 19" Viewsonic that I'm very happy with. $180 from Buy.com, though I don't think it's on sale anymore.

Viewsonics are great.

ege02 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm told that the Dell widescreens are good.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    hopfully it being black friday will help me get some pretty bad ass deals. ill look at view sonics thanks.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm using a 20" Samsung 204B and I love it. It's not widescreen (I intentionally didn't get a widescreen monitor because not many games support the 16:10 aspect ratio) but Samsung does make other models which are widescreen. My favorite part about the monitor is that I can rotate the screen 90 degrees to get a tall and thin (1200x1600) display, which is perfect for browsing the web, working on text documents, and other non-movie non-game activities.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm waiting until december or january to pick up BenQ FP241W, when they will upgrade the firmware to allow 1:1 pixel ratio. (No stretching out to fill the screen)

Oh crap, that's not within the OP's budget.

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    now that ive thought of it, im thinking i might as well go with a 24in widescreen. probably from dell, they are having a sale for ~$650...

anyone know of a better deal than that? and can i plug my 360 into it?

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you have a VGA cable for the 360 then you can use any monitor as its display. Otherwise it'll have to accept component input, which isn't that uncommon in big LCD monitors.

At $650 you could get two 19" maybe even 21" displays...

If you decide to spend that much on the display then make sure it supports HDCP - otherwise HD content you might want to view on it in the future will be most likely displayed in a lower (DVD or thereabouts) resolution. Of course this will also require the video card to support HDCP, but they are upgraded more often than displays

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    edited November 2006
    yeah, i have a 19in display that i might hold onto, depending on how much i can get for it, and if its worth selling. ill have a 8800 card on my new system (unless i wait until jan and get the ATI, just depends on how patiant i am)

i do want one very large monitor though, so watching movies/play xbox will look nicer (than if i were to use a smaller screen)

i will make sure to look into HDCP, thanks.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks