As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    That's a special Daqan infantry unit from the Runewars mini game.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    My MC30 Frigate arrived today!

I now have:
    1 MC30 Frigate
    2 Nebulon B Frigates
    1 Coreillian Corvette

1 Imperial Star Destroyer
    2 Victory class
    1 Gladiator class
    1 Arquiten light cruiser

Trying to get a 300 point game going with a friend this week.

oh h*ck
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Since the local x-wing league format this month is hot garbage, a buddy who usually does x-wing and I are planning to get Armada on the table instead.
    Excited to actually play a proper game finally!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Well, a new release from FFG has changed a bunch of cards: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/0e/20/0e204125-cad2-4e54-8d94-20eb72699513/swm_faq_v321.pdf

Most notably:
    Rieekan only applies to one friendly ship each round. I think that makes him trash now, I wouldn't take him if he were 10 points, let alone 30.
    Demolisher cannot attack after Engine Techs. I feel like it's about a year too late for that. They should have changed it back around wave 2, when Demolisher was the biggest threat on the table, or left it alone.
    Rhymer allows bombers to attack at close range, not medium. So now he's a slight improvement, but nothing too serious. Probably more balanced?
    Bomber Command Centres can only be used once per attack. Makes sense, but kinda funny given that immediately after it came out they had to release something to the lines of "Yes, you're allowed to use multiple BCCs in one attack."
    TRCs are an exhaust effect. My fleet of 6 TRC90s is sad now, because their one red dice side arc is no longer 2 guaranteed damage. It's probably fair, but it hurts.
    They've finally explained the Rapid Launch Bays! Yay!

And flotillas can't hold your commander. I'm fine with that, but it seems the internet isn't.

Love all the changes. All of them.

I got my Imperial Raider today, my fleet is ready to sweep all the Rebel scum from my sector!

And thirdly, Amazon has MC30 Frigates 40% off!
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Armada-Frigate-Expansion/dp/1633441199/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498094872&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+armada+mc30

oh h*ck
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    GENERAL RIEKEN FUCK!

RIP!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    While at a game store today playing X-wing, they got their shipment of Hammerheads in and I held a box but was not allowed to buy it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    While at a game store today playing X-wing, they got their shipment of Hammerheads in and I held a box but was not allowed to buy it.

I got the only Hammerheads and carrier my store got, but they are ordering more.

I'm gonna get to play tonight for the first time in ... a very, VERY long time. Unfortunately, as usual, I'm paralyzed by fleet building and not knowing my capabilities or what I want.

We're gonna do a 300 point game (as the other player is new as well and that's all he can field).. anyone have suggestions?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I now have both an Imperial Light Carrier and two Hammerheads!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I got destroyed. Played a 300 point game, where he was at 297 and I was at 296, but we kinda screwed up the objective selection bit.

We learned that the deployment zone markers make excellent tools for marking where ships and squadrons are, if you need to move them.

He went with 2 Vics and 6 TIEs (1 howlrunner). I went with Phoenix Home, 2 Corellean Corvettes, a flotilla of transports, Luke, an X-wing, an E-wing, and 2 Z-95s.

The objective was staying near the station in the middle.

I got pincered hard and absolutely shredded trying to stay in the middle.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited July 2017
    So, despite playing this game 0.75 times (done the "learn to play" game twice and less than half of a proper game), I bought an ISD, Home One, and Liberty expansions on Tuesday. The first two come today!

I bought an Mc30c when it was on sale a couple weeks ago and the rogues and villains pack with it, so thanks for that, thread ;)

That puts my collection at:
    Core
    Imp squads
    Imp raider
    ISD
    R&V
    Rebel squads
    Rebel gunship
    Home one
    Liberty
    Mc30c

Now I need to figure out storage... Bought some layered foam so I'll try to use that to keep as much as I can in my core box.
    Also, I clearly need more Imperial ships now...

crimsoncoyote on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wait, was the ISD on sale on Tuesday (Prime Day)? If so I missed it... I did snag Home One and Liberty though. I've managed to not even open up my core box; yet I have two new ships coming my way. I just want them for the figures at this point. If I get to playing then that'll just be icing on the cake. The ISD is on my super wish list though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    The ISD was not on sale for Prime Day, but it's been sitting around $35 for a little while now (MSRP is 50, so it seemed like a solid get)

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I think I saw the Victory Star Destroyer and Home One go on sale for Prime Day, but not ISD.

Yeah passed on the Victory since I don't play the game yet, and it seems to go on sale everywhere pretty often so I'm safe there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Ahh I missed the Victory sale. I also skipped on the CR90 and the Nebulon, since I have the models. Maybe if I get more games going I'll pick them up eventually.

edited July 2017
    I just finished building little storage boxes for the Wave 5 stuff since the guy finally finished them. Now I need him to make boxes for the Carrier and Hammerheads.

Librarian's ghost on

I just got my Home One and Liberty. Oh man, these are so awesome. Now I need the ISD....

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I just got my Home One and Liberty. Oh man, these are so awesome. Now I need the ISD....

Spoiler alert: it's also so awesome.

wonderpug wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Spoiler alert: it's also so awesome.
    xt0ilrgcrolj.png

I agree!
    My Liberty comes today!

I got an Assault Frigate from the Prime Day sale.

Man, that one lonely, tiny engine looks so out of place.

oh h*ck
    I uh...

did a thing
    an3icod5fjnd.png

Not perfect, but it gets the job done. I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with my squadrons, but I'm done for the day

Our first straight-up repaint. But likely very much worth it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/25/the-grand-admiral-arrives/

swm29-grand-admiral-thrawn.pngswm30-admiral-raddus.png

swm29_spread.png

swm29-imperial-star-destroyer-kuat-refit.pngswm29-imperial-star-destroyer-cymoon-1-refit.png

swm30_render_left.png

swm30-profundity.png

Still kind of upsetting that you're buying a second ISD model to get Thrawn though. You're never going to wan tto use two ISDs in a fleet really are you?

Lykouragh wrote: »
    Still kind of upsetting that you're buying a second ISD model to get Thrawn though. You're never going to wan tto use two ISDs in a fleet really are you?

Many people do. Also it has three of each ship cards for the two Refits, which are very much different than the Class-I and Class-II that came with the other ISD set so you can use them with your existing ISDs without needing to buy multiples.

Also this is probably why they included the two squadron ships in this new box as a slight balm to getting a repaint, which really the cards look really good so I don't even mind the repaint.

In other news, I love having a friend with a 3d printer.

Armada left, X-wing Right

oErhMrGh.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What are they, @Athenor ?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Markers for position when you need to remove something from the board to place a template down.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    What are they, Athenor ?

Marker tokens. The left ones are designed for Armada squadrons. The right ones are designed for X-wing small and large bases, based on the dimensions of the official Organized Play rewards.

• PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular

They're markers for ships and squadrons, in case you need to remove one or either from play to perform a move or similar :)

On a sidenote, I played with Home One a few weeks ago against one of my friends, and I built it as tanky as possible and absolutely wrecked his fleet. It was able to tank through both his ISD and his VSD, whilst destroying the first and crippling the second. It is probably the best ship I've played with so far, in that it fulfilled the role I wanted for it, to perfection.

I want Admiral Raddus so I can drop a fully equipped Liberty out of Hyperspace right into the rear of an ISD at point blank and wreck its face.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't know about the ISD repaint. Thrawn doesn't really seem like the type to go in for big flashy custom paint jobs on his flagship.
    Might just be me though.

see317 wrote: »
    I don't know about the ISD repaint. Thrawn doesn't really seem like the type to go in for big flashy custom paint jobs on his flagship.
    Might just be me though.

xnes7mwy7692.jpeg

It's his flagship from Star Wars: Rebels. And I will buy a repaint of an ISD. It's far and away the most imposing ship in my fleet.

oh h*ck
    The problem with fielding that ISD is that your opponent can study your art and figure out your whole battle plan.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think I will risk getting his card by itself

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Might just be me though.

xnes7mwy7692.jpeg

It's his flagship from Star Wars: Rebels. And I will buy a repaint of an ISD. It's far and away the most imposing ship in my fleet.

Huh... was that actually in the show? I really don't know how I missed that.

There's not much online.. but one thing I am noticing is that it is an ISD I ... or patterned off that, at least. So it would've been cool and maybe worthwhile to change up the model from an ISD II to an ISD I to go along with the paint scheme?

wonderpug wrote: »
    The problem with fielding that ISD is that your opponent can study your art and figure out your whole battle plan.

Keep them in the front arc and shoot them in the face until they die?

oh h*ck
    Armada thread! I need your help!

I'm actually playing a game of Armada this weekend. So I'm super hyped. However I know next to nothing about building lists and I have to build 2 to fly against each other.

I'm looking for some general fleet-building advice, as well as some more specific build ideas based on the stuff I own. I can build x-wing lists in my sleep, but I am overwhelmed with even where to start for Armada (this is probably the big thing actually).
    I'm also looking for recommendations on a fleet builder that's easy to use and, preferably, something that allows me to input my collection.

Here's what I own if anyone has any specific list ideas:
    • Core set
    • Assault Frigate MkII
    • Rebel Squadrons
    • Liberty Expansion
    • Home One Expansion
    • MC30c Frigate Expansion
    • Rogues and Villains
    • Imperial Squadrons
    • Imperial-class Star Destroyer Expansion
    • Imperial Raider Expansion

Here's my favorite fleet builder, though there are others: http://armada.ryankingston.com/

What I like to do when building a fleet is come up with some core idea that pleases me (I'm going to get Yavaris to trigger on B-wings! or Time for a giant Rhymerball!), build whatever the core of the fleet is around that, figure out what objectives I'm going to use with my core, and fill in the rest of the fleet around that.