As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

1104105106107108110»

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Svenska wrote: »
    Wait, do the relics work on dreads? My libby dread would like that a lot.

Well for codex marines.

BA don't have a codex and thus no relics/artifacts.

But you have to have the equipment the relic replaces on the character for it to work, and most of the relics replace equipment that dreads can't take even if there are any character ones that can be taken for codex SM chapters.

Dreads can take none of the required weapons and of the rest, cant use the psyker only ones, cant use the banner, can use the ultamarine one as its captain/chapter master only, cant take jump pack one, cant use storm shield one.

That in theory leaves 3 that FW chaplain dread could possible take if its a character (I don't have that index to check) as all the others from SM codex chapters are named characters:
    the Templar's helm one (ok I guess some dreads have helmets), useless unless it has an aura.
    The Salamander +1T one, its the hide off one of Nocturne's lizards so plausible to drape it on a dread.
    The 2+ suit artificer armor, which most people would tell you to fuck off if you said a dread could fit into.

That said BA will probably get s psyker relic when they get their codex, SM/Chaos/GKs all have at least one, don't think any require replacing equipment so would be able to put on a libby dread unless they specifically bar it when they write the BA book.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The Chaplain Dreadnought is a Character, for the record.
    And has nine wounds, so he can hide behind a guardsman.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Does the chaplain dreadnought give the same aura buffs as a regular chaplain? The Templar helmet could be nice on him.

Also I would totally model my dread with several marines strapped across his torso to represent the artificer armor relic.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Nope, no aura. Friendly Units in the same combat get a strength buff but that’s it.
    So only the toughness and armour boosts work… bot those are plenty good enough.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Also, I realized I DON'T have to kludge a librarian on bike, because I can just use the entry in the Index Imperium, right?

for all models, if it's in the Index you can use it. If it's in the Index and the Codex than use the points/power cost from the Codex.

The difference between the Index and the Codex is that the Index is a historical archive of every Space Marine model and weapon that GW has ever released, whereas the Codex is a modern list of every model that is currently available on store shelves.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Svenska wrote: »
    Wait, do the relics work on dreads? My libby dread would like that a lot.

Well for codex marines.

BA don't have a codex and thus no relics/artifacts.

But you have to have the equipment the relic replaces on the character for it to work, and most of the relics replace equipment that dreads can't take even if there are any character ones that can be taken for codex SM chapters.

Dreads can take none of the required weapons and of the rest, cant use the psyker only ones, cant use the banner, can use the ultamarine one as its captain/chapter master only, cant take jump pack one, cant use storm shield one.

That in theory leaves 3 that FW chaplain dread could possible take if its a character (I don't have that index to check) as all the others from SM codex chapters are named characters:
    the Templar's helm one (ok I guess some dreads have helmets), useless unless it has an aura.
    The Salamander +1T one, its the hide off one of Nocturne's lizards so plausible to drape it on a dread.
    The 2+ suit artificer armor, which most people would tell you to fuck off if you said a dread could fit into.

That said BA will probably get s psyker relic when they get their codex, SM/Chaos/GKs all have at least one, don't think any require replacing equipment so would be able to put on a libby dread unless they specifically bar it when they write the BA book.

Considering BA have character dreads that aren't a special character expect some artifacts more in line with say the drugs Slaanesh gets in the chaos marines which is +1 str and +1 attack. Stuff like that could fit well on a dread and requires no replacement.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Also, I realized I DON'T have to kludge a librarian on bike, because I can just use the entry in the Index Imperium, right?

for all models, if it's in the Index you can use it. If it's in the Index and the Codex than use the points/power cost from the Codex.

The difference between the Index and the Codex is that the Index is a historical archive of every Space Marine model and weapon that GW has ever released, whereas the Codex is a modern list of every model that is currently available on store shelves.

Right. It's still a bit of a shift thinking like that. There's no codex option for libby on bike, so I was figuring 'ask my opponent nicely if I can buy that wargear for him.' But since he's in the index, I can legit use that and not have to ask special permission for anything.

• Options
    I really dislike the excuse of "Well it's not a model we make so you don't get any rules" in a game with such modular armies designed with parts that are mixed and matched, especially space marines. Warhammer is the Lego of tabletop games, and being able to kitbash a model from a vast library of bits and pieces is a major reason I like it over something like Warmachine or Infinity.
    Yeah yeah, they lose money to 3rd party casters, but that's their own fault for not taking advantage of their huge production infrastructure compared to every other wargame company and cranking out modular bits for anything that doesn't have an official model. Heck, they would do the usual overpriced GW thing and probably make more money from assorted bits than just the usual $15-20 character blister pack.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    How do they even lose money to third party, parallel economy manufacturers for units with no models? They don't MAKE those bits and characters!

It's the stupidest thing, are you and I losing a fortune to Ford because they're selling all these cars we're not making?

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I have mentioned how some of the recent stuff on Icestorm and Red Veil were a pain to put together but having gotten my copy of beyond Icestorm today, I think it only fair to say that the models have been a complete doddle to put together as well as looking really ace.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I have no idea if 'complete doddle' means that they were easy or hard. :biggrin:
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    How do they even lose money to third party, parallel economy manufacturers for units with no models?

Easily, since that's actually come back to bite GW in the past. There was the whole Chapterhouse lawsuit a few years back where one of the things that GW actually found itself vulnerable on was Chapterhouse's challenge that 'we made those models first.' No rules without models means no risk of legal complications from any third party that starts making them first.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Oops that should have been in the infinity thread; I need to pay attention more (yeah doddle = easy).

Again apologies for being a doofus.

So all the Deathguard stuff looks really good; it'll be interesting to see if another loyalist Primarch appears in addition to seeing another faction getting a similar range.

The Reivers kit is especially lovely; the first space marine kit I've bought in ages and I can't help but look at the other Primaris stuff.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    All my stuff has come in from their assorted countries and I now have a complete, functional Night Lords Spooky Town Army.
    Jump Pack Lord /w Black Claws and spooky warlord trait
    Jump Pack Sorcerer /w Nurgle powers
    3 Biker Sorcerer/Lords /w combiweapons
    5 squads of 5x Nurgle Raptors /w Icon of Despair, claw, 2x Plasma/Melta/Flamers to taste
    1 squad of 5x Nurgle Warp Talons
    3 Heldrakes /w baleflamers
    3 units of 1 Chaos Spawn
    Decimator /w dual Butcher Cannons
    Be'Lakor
    2 packs of Chaos Furies

Everything hits enemy morale, plenty of command points to throw around, lots of alpha strike potential. Be'Lakor does the V formation with the Heldrakes torching stuff, Raptors and Lords pop in and alpha strike any important or morale-ignoring stuff, the rest apply stacking morale debuffs and Furies add on top of it. Lots of survivability and mobility as well with most everything having Fly, all the vehicles get daemon buffs and recover wounds.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jesus... thats -3 from ONE raptor squad...

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I was looking at warp talons and think the nurgle psyker power that gives +1 to wounds and double damage on 6's would be disgustingly good

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I was looking at warp talons and think the nurgle psyker power that gives +1 to wounds and double damage on 6's would be disgustingly good

Pun intended?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thread go restart, someone make a new one.

This discussion has been closed.