As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 Cosplay thread

• seckzeeseckzee Saphyre SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm undecided on cosplay because most of my cosplays aren't video game related. I could do Katniss Everdeen, Princess Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I am planning to do a steampunk Princess Daisy but I need to make a crown, stat.

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    xshinox wrote: »
    i have a question about the weapons policy. not sure if i'll have my cosplay ready in time but if i do, i would like to know if it is okay to bring the toy squirt guns that were recently released; it's the splatoon 1 splatter shot as well as the splatoon 2 splat dualies. are those okay to bring as cosplay props as long as they don't have water in them?

I think you should be good with those. I brought plastic nunchucks last year and it was fine.

Also, I didn't know they made splat dualies guns. I need them now!

• Amanda WattsAmanda Watts Registered User new member
    I'm working on 3 things:

- Raindancer Pharah, remaking pieces from ECCC.
    - Scott Ryder, initiative armor for the hubby.
    - Tali'zorahs armor from ME3

and if I have time. MAYBE Ana from Overwatch.

• GameJoltGameJolt Registered User new member
    I'll be Annie from Attack on Titan, my first cosplay ever. I'm also throwing a party on PAX Friday at Fred Wildlife Refuge 8pm. If you all could come by so I'm not the only one dressed, that would be awesome.

• wrenwodewrenwode Registered User new member
    I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday as Red from Transistor, and my partner will be the Kid from Bastion on one of those days. I'd love to get photos with anyone else cosplaying from a Supergiant game!

wrenwode wrote: »
    I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday as Red from Transistor, and my partner will be the Kid from Bastion on one of those days. I'd love to get photos with anyone else cosplaying from a Supergiant game!

I have a Pyre group one of the days! (Possibly Sunday) We'll be hanging out at the Supergiant booth a lot, we would love to meet you guys!

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    sedirox wrote: »
    i have a question about the weapons policy. not sure if i'll have my cosplay ready in time but if i do, i would like to know if it is okay to bring the toy squirt guns that were recently released; it's the splatoon 1 splatter shot as well as the splatoon 2 splat dualies. are those okay to bring as cosplay props as long as they don't have water in them?

I think you should be good with those. I brought plastic nunchucks last year and it was fine.

I think they'll probably be legal, but given the rules on needing to disable Nerf guns I would double-check with an official PAX person to see if these'll need disabling, too.

• bubblegirl22bubblegirl22 portlandRegistered User regular
    Anyone else cosplaying from magic of the gathering?

• xshinoxxshinox Registered User new member
    Scunosi wrote: »

I think they'll probably be legal, but given the rules on needing to disable Nerf guns I would double-check with an official PAX person to see if these'll need disabling, too.

who/where do i go to contact the person?

• All Night XiongAll Night Xiong Registered User new member
    I plan to go as a team skull grunt and maybe a modified 9S from Nier Automata. Is there anyone here who might cosplay as 2B?

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Bringing Ratchet and Clank at least... since I'm hosting the robotics in cosplay panel. Not sure what else.

Scunosi wrote: »

who/where do i go to contact the person?

PAX email! pax_questions@paxsite.com. You can also check with weapons check during the con.

• xshinoxxshinox Registered User new member
    i just contacted them and the person says no to the splatoon toy guns. wtf. you can tell they look like toys with the bright colored tips, handle, and ink tank. i mean, i will take out the innards so that it won't shoot if i have to. if i can't bring it, i guess i'll have to try sakura-con...

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    i just contacted them and the person says no to the splatoon toy guns. wtf. you can tell they look like toys with the bright colored tips, handle, and ink tank. i mean, i will take out the innards so that it won't shoot if i have to. if i can't bring it, i guess i'll have to try sakura-con...

Mnnn, if you can disable it so that it can not squirt I think it would be fine. I'd do that and bring it to weapons check, they would be the last word on it. If its not acceptable they can hold onto it until you leave PAX.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • MajorMarmotMajorMarmot Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    I'll be dressed as Max from Life is Strange on Friday, and Timmy (punch kid) from Overwatch on Saturday. :D

If I can find the time, I may fix up my inkling costume from Splatoon and wear that on Sunday.

HsJaJWx.png
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I know 4 people doing Splatoon already, with as many people mentioning it feels like a mini-meetup should be made. But then I know how hard it is to schedule stuff around the craziness of expo hall cruising.

• aroneloaronelo Registered User new member
    This is my first time going to PAX, do you guys think it would be appropriate to do a ballet black widow cosplay, or is that sort of costume not really seen there? Not based off of any particular design, but kinda just thrown together from things I already own plus a red wig (shout-out to doing ballet for 12 years), including old pointe shoes (to be removed after I can't walk anymore).

• wrenwodewrenwode Registered User new member
    wrenwode wrote: »

I have a Pyre group one of the days! (Possibly Sunday) We'll be hanging out at the Supergiant booth a lot, we would love to meet you guys!

Sweet! I will probably be cosplaying both days but I may only lug around my Transistor sword on one of them. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your group, if you see me feel free to flag me down!

aronelo wrote: »
    This is my first time going to PAX, do you guys think it would be appropriate to do a ballet black widow cosplay, or is that sort of costume not really seen there? Not based off of any particular design, but kinda just thrown together from things I already own plus a red wig (shout-out to doing ballet for 12 years), including old pointe shoes (to be removed after I can't walk anymore).

You'll see some amount of non gaming cosplay (or gaming tangential like Spider-Man) but not that much. It won't be that unusual but don't expect to be stopped for photos nearly as often than you would at say a comic con.

• spillcanvasgirlspillcanvasgirl Registered User regular
    I will be going as a RuneScape character this year. Would be nice to find other RS cosplayers but seems unlikely :P
    b69ggopotw75.jpg
    eg9b2t9uxkm2.jpg
    9scvry01ig87.jpg
    36eru9t1auma.jpg

• gigglechris2gigglechris2 Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    I'm going to be doing a pokemon cosplay! Would love to meet up with any other pokemon and pokemon trainer cosplayers, and if there happens to be a get together for pokemon cosplay I'd love to attend.

gigglechris2 on
    8l72mrr3glkk.jpg
    Just finished the chest armor for my cosplay for pax. ^-^ yaaay

• scaryuncledevinscaryuncledevin Registered User new member
    I'm still very new to cosplay, I made an HEV suit a couple years back that turned out... okay. This year I'm going a bit simpler and just doing Nathan Drake from Uncharted 4. Finally got the last of my stuff together last night, just need to do some distressing on some of it.

• 2thug2bkawaii2thug2bkawaii Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    I've decided to go as 2B from automata for pax and I'm honestly so excited, it's going to be my first actual cosplay :3

2thug2bkawaii on
    Just finished my Princess Daisy crown this weekend. I'm going to be a Steampunk Princess Daisy on Monday!
    0s2avjas4kae.jpg

• All Night XiongAll Night Xiong Registered User new member
    I've decided to go as 2B from automata for pax and I'm honestly so excited, it's going to be my first actual cosplay :3

That's awesome!! I'll be going there as 9S. If you don't mind, we should get a photo together. Glory to mankind!

• Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    Has anyone brought costume props on the plane before? I'm going to be checking a bag and it will have a wooden prop sub machine gun. My friend told me to put a tag on my suit case saying "COSTUME PROPS" to avoid having issues with security.

Has anyone brought costume props on the plane before? I'm going to be checking a bag and it will have a wooden prop sub machine gun. My friend told me to put a tag on my suit case saying "COSTUME PROPS" to avoid having issues with security.

I always include a handwritten note. I get checked /every/ time by the TSA abut they've never ruined anything.

• DioscuriiDioscurii Registered User new member
    this is my first time "Cosplaying" for realisies. One of my best friends is a Cosplay designer and i will be using a couple of her costumes. On Friday i plan to wear her jake the Dog Dress Sunday I Plan to be Fuu from Samurai Champloo and Monday I will be Indiana Jane. I didn't get Saturday badges but still look forward to seeing all of you!

• CharmingDevilCharmingDevil Token Awkward Muffin Graham, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm still undecided on my cosplays. I tend to be pretty spontaneous and decide last minute on what I feel like wearing since cosplay isn't much of a thing at PAX sadly. If the weather stays warm enough I'll probably wear Tifa from Final Fantasy VII or female Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. If the weather starts to cool down enough, I'll wear Ashley from Until Dawn. And if I don't feel like wearing any of those I'll probably just do some random D&D or MtG character lol I don't have many video game cosplays sadly. And most of the video games I do play don't really have recognizable characters...

CharmingDevil on
    I'm still undecided on my cosplays. I tend to be pretty spontaneous and decide last minute on what I feel like wearing since cosplay isn't much of a thing at PAX sadly. If the weather stays warm enough I'll probably wear Tifa from Final Fantasy VII or female Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. If the weather starts to cool down enough, I'll wear Ashley from Until Dawn. And if I don't feel like wearing any of those I'll probably just do some random D&D or MtG character lol I don't have many video game cosplays sadly. And most of the video games I do play don't really have recognizable characters...

Cosplay MtG with me! I'm doing Liliana

• CharmingDevilCharmingDevil Token Awkward Muffin Graham, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Oh awesome! I love Liliana! What version are you making? If I had to choose a Planeswalker to cosplay, I would absolutely love to do Jace! He's my favorite but I don't think I have time to make something so complex in a week haha I could probably make his cloak over the weekend and wear pieces from other cosplays underneath. I have a blueish purple kimono/hanbok thing and black leather chest armor that might work and I already have a wig and contacts that could work for Jace but that's pushing it.... Also I'd almost hate to do a thrown together cosplay for him unless it miraculously actually looks good haha. I might try on pieces when I get home of stuff I already have just to see.

On the other hand, I could probably do Nissa from stuff I already have too. I have long elf ears and a bunch of brown and green elf looking stuff from my Renaissance Faire cosplays. I'll do some cos-tests later tonight. :)

Oh awesome! I love Liliana! What version are you making? If I had to choose a Planeswalker to cosplay, I would absolutely love to do Jace! He's my favorite but I don't think I have time to make something so complex in a week haha I could probably make his cloak over the weekend and wear pieces from other cosplays underneath. I have a blueish purple kimono/hanbok thing and black leather chest armor that might work and I already have a wig and contacts that could work for Jace but that's pushing it.... Also I'd almost hate to do a thrown together cosplay for him unless it miraculously actually looks good haha. I might try on pieces when I get home of stuff I already have just to see.

On the other hand, I could probably do Nissa from stuff I already have too. I have long elf ears and a bunch of brown and green elf looking stuff from my Renaissance Faire cosplays. I'll do some cos-tests later tonight. :)

I'm doing the Liliana vess (dark realms) version of her. But I'm adding a bit more gold into her armor to balance out her head piece.

I'd love to see the cos-test you come up with.

What days will you be at pax for?

• MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    This year i'm going as Elder Maxson from FO4, Gangster Twitch from LoL, and maybe generic steampunk type cosplay for sunday.

Membino wrote: »
    This year i'm going as Elder Maxson from FO4, Gangster Twitch from LoL, and maybe generic steampunk type cosplay for sunday.

I'm thinking something steampunk as well!

I'm doing the Liliana vess (dark realms) version of her. But I'm adding a bit more gold into her armor to balance out her head piece.

Oh cool! Yeah, adding gold would help balance it out. I saw your picture in an above post of the breastplate. Looks really good so far!
    I'll be attending both Saturday and Sunday this year.

Oh cool! Yeah, adding gold would help balance it out. I saw your picture in an above post of the breastplate. Looks really good so far!
    I'll be attending both Saturday and Sunday this year.

Oh sweet. I have Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I know I'll definitely be cosplaying on Saturday not sure about the other days just yet. And thank you! It been working really hard on it

• botanic-anticsbotanic-antics Registered User regular
    Dioscurii wrote: »
    this is my first time "Cosplaying" for realisies. One of my best friends is a Cosplay designer and i will be using a couple of her costumes. On Friday i plan to wear her jake the Dog Dress Sunday I Plan to be Fuu from Samurai Champloo and Monday I will be Indiana Jane. I didn't get Saturday badges but still look forward to seeing all of you!

I'll try to find you on Monday for a picture, Indiana Jane sounds awesome!

OufnvCf.png
    Highlights from a baby PAXer: First time with VR, awesome Indie games, and Acq Inc. "C" Team shenanigans
    Oh sweet. I have Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I know I'll definitely be cosplaying on Saturday not sure about the other days just yet. And thank you! It been working really hard on it

So surprisingly my thrown together Jace turned out pretty satisfying in my opinion. I'll just need to make his hooded cloak and I'm set. Not super accurate of course but I'll at least be recognizable. I'm claiming the right to be creative lol

tqd7shag53my.jpg

m6lmkcydolfd.jpg

b4sm96l48ybs.jpg